Start by marking “Saucepans & the Single Girl” as Want to Read:
Saucepans & the Single Girl

Saucepans & the Single Girl

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
From the basics of a posh picnic to recipes guaranteed to snare his heart, SAUCEPANS THE SINGLE GIRL is the ideal kitchen guide for todays bachelorette. Originally published in 1965, this hip guide to livingand cookingsingle artfully straddles the line between timeless and outdated. Maintaining the books irresistibly retro appeal, this new edition features the original tex ...more
Published (first published May 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Saucepans & the Single Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saucepans & the Single Girl

Jen
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Wow my mom gave me her copy of the 1965 edition so I seriously hope this one has EVERY amazing picture reproduced. The cover shockingly says "Surefire recipes for the quickest way to a man's heart" which normally might gross me out but this honestly was a very nice book for figuring out how to cook in a small apartment. The place where the Lobster Thermidore recipe is found is where the book falls open every time.
Lynda
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this cookbook as a gift from my mother 40 years ago when I moved away from home. I was kind of amused because I had been cooking with and for my mother for years. However, I found this invaluable in setting up my first apartment and in learning to cook for one person. I had always cooked for a family of five.
Sterlingcindysu
Talk about Jinx and Judy (the authors) cashing out--this book is pretty much a straight reprint from 1965 and except for a few footnotes, they didn't change much. I'm betting the Mad Men craze helped. Interesting to read their editorial comments, but not so much for the recipes.

They could have done a before-and-after approach, especially for the different menus for the types of bachelors invited. Where before for a athlete you'd have "barbequed steak" (really grilled steak, and you'd give the st
Ellen
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-cooking
There I am, shelf-reading and weeding my heart out when I stumble upon this book. Initially my angry feminist got her panties in an uproar over the subheading, "Bachelor-bait Recipes and Dazzling Ideas for Entertaining." But then I drank some tea and got a grip. Turns out this little gem was originally published in 1965. Reading the pages it feels as though Auntie Mame herself is dispensing the advice. I was taken in. Oh, and the recipes aren't too shabby either.

I'm still withdrawing it from ou
Kristin Bateman
Somewhat dated, somewhat so dated that it's cool again, some interesting recipes, and a whole lot of cute.
Marissa