Start by marking “Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration” as Want to Read:
Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration

Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  374 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
"If you are determined to encourage creativity and provide a collaborative environment that will bring out the best in people, you will want this book by your side at all times."
--Bill Moggridge, Director of the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum "Make Space is an articulate account about the importance of space; how we think about it, build it and thrive i
Published January 3rd 2012 by Wiley (first published December 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Make Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Space

Diana
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book, created by the Stanford d.school, is an amazing source of design inspiration. While it tends to be geared more towards open office spaces and college environments, there's plenty of ideas and resources for educators as well. Make Space tells the d.school's story - it's need for flexibility and economy when being shuffled all over campus, what worked and didn't work for their collaborative spaces, and how they finally figured out how to get it right.

Interspersed throughout the book are
Erwin
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring book full of lessons from experimental/ iterative creative space design at d.school. Besides many insights, situations to design for and space studies there's build instructions for DIY furniture. I just wish the instructions where a bit more specific or detailed, because I feel like building better workspace(s) now.
Duane
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
As someone that works in a collaborative workspace, this book was a real game-changer. A synergistic ecosystem pivot. A way to think that's different. I can't wait to apply my learnings. On a slightly less snarky note, there were lots of cool designs for using everyday materials for brilliant solutions in co-working spaces.
Kathy Gorski
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this often to anyone looking to develop a makerspace in their schools. GREAT ideas (many we have used easily and successfully). Unless you are tapped into a mega-donor, this book is essential for how to engage in making without the superfund to do it.
Alejandro Perez
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of great ideas, mostly for DIY's, but I was able to share a couple of great ones that got implemented in our workspace.
Susan Cosden
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for thinking about designing learning/meeting/collaborating spaces and the materials in them.
Dudee
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Libraries and many corporations are transforming some of their traditional office or public space into this "collaborative" or "maker" space right now. If you are on one of the teams to evaluate/design/implement such a project, be sure you and your team has this book. There is something for everyone involved in creating and operating a collaborative space in this book.

The authors are faculty members of the Design Institute of Stanford (d.school). This book is like a combination of manual and "le
Jonathan Cassie
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring and well organized assortment of ideas to pump up existing design learning spaces or make new ones. I will be referring back to this book for a long time.
Lindsey
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vine-books
At first, I was a bit confused with the layout of this book. The book definitely lacks flow and just jumps from one idea to the next. Picking up the book to read from cover to cover, you end up scratching your head saying, "What am I doing here. What am I even reading here."

Then, you decide to pick up the book for ideas, inspiration, starting points. And suddenly, it makes sense. You suddenly see the ideas flowing from the pages and you see what is being done and immediately start thinking, "Now
Allison
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Scott Doorley and Scott Witthoft are engineers and professors at Stanford University who wrote this book. They have been at the forefront of the makerspace movement since 2007 and developed an insightful, research-based book about how to incorporate makerspace, hack space, fabLabs into classrooms, businesses, and workspaces. The wisdom they have to impart is valuable for everyone, especially those who want to make the most functional, innovative space available to collaboration. They share tons ...more
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't too impressed with this book when I first thumbed through it. It was when I had time to slowly read and digest small bits at a time, reflecting and thinking it through that I realized what a gem this book is. It changed the way I look at space and made me more aware of its effect on people. A treasure to have when designing learning / collaborative spaces.
Pete Sena
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This quote from the Book says it all "space is the body language of an organization". As an entrepreneur of a growing business going from my dorm room to a offices in multiple the idea and understanding of how space physically can shape culture in your organization is absolutely critical. I highly recommend all my fellow entrepreneurs read this book and see how they can incorporate making and hacking into not just their product design and digital work but also their physical space. Def worth buy ...more
Manuel Frias
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
This book is plenty with ideas to reorganize your work place. Some are cool. Some seem useful for making a more creative use of the space. But, maybe I am too conservative or I think my organization is. The fact is that I find most of them very difficult to carry them out.

I think this book might be useful to new start-ups or organizations with a highly creative people. Most of the ideas would find a hard resistance to apply in rather bureaucratic organizations like mine, I'm afraid.
Pat East
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a fairly great read if you want to have ideas on how to shake up your work space productively. While many of these changes do not require much in the way of resources, I would recommend only reading this book when you have a significant amount of space that can be experimented with immediately. I look forward to employing what I learned in this book at home and in the community.
Nathanael Coyne
An excellent resource for thinking about, planning and setting up spaces that encourage participation, collaboration and creativity. Everything from design and creative process "templates" through to DIY woodwork construction of tables and office furniture for mobile set-up/take-down areas, writing, sticking up. Lots of illustrations, photos and stories that will inspire!
Etienne Beaulieu
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent livre qui présente des idées concrètes pour aménager des espaces de travail collaboratif. On y retrouve même des plans pour construire certains éléments de mobiliers à peu de frais. À découvrir!
Jamie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book gives great ideas for creating collaborative work spaces. Some can be applied to school spaces, but more of the ideas are applicable to adult work spaces. The book does inspire the readers, however, to think "outside the box" about they can make their own space more collaborative.
Melanie
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book describes the physical space needed for a collaborative environment (and includes instructions on how to actually build white boards and cubes to sit on). It doesn't get into the social environment that makes these function well. It looks trendy and I suspect it won't age all that well.
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great recipe book for those looking to create or improve makerspaces, studios, collborative spaces, or anywhere else creativity and project development needs to happen. I'm already thinking of ways to apply this to my own small space.
Alan Caramatti
A helpful book. It's definitely a "how-to" book -- one that I want to pick back up when I'm ready to design & build "creating spaces."
Regina Hoskins
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This has some good ideas on how to make simple and affordable changes to a space.
Christy
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are in need of designing a workspace or new building, I would recommend this book. If you have the budget for awesome furniture, event better!
Debbie Carey
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic! I am looking forward to attending an Innovative Conference and hearing speakers from the dschool. Environments support communities and their ideas and thinking!
Jonas Henrique
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Awesome book that made me think about how can I design and organize spaces to generate better ideas and experiences!
Charles
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent tips about creating a creative collaborative space. When I first came across it, I had no idea how many times I'd reference it for work and at home.
Brandon
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Interesting ideas for me. I sought this title out as I was going through a small renovation project in the house to create a make space for my family.
Sanjay Purohit
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! This is a workbook. Become aware of your surroundings. Put the chapters to practice. This book become an invaluable resource. Transformation potential.
jon
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great booster for creativity...
Maggie Tumenbatur
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A reference book to go back to from time to time
Bill Van Loo
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent - extremely inspiring as I get ready to move into my first dedicated classroom space!
  • The Third Teacher
  • Rapid Viz : A New Method for the Rapid Visualization of Ideas
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Design Thinking: Understanding How Designers Think and Work
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom
  • Exposing the Magic of Design: A Practitioner's Guide to the Methods and Theory of Synthesis
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99