Start by marking “Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration” as Want to Read:
Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration

Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration

"If you are determined to encourage creativity and provide a collaborative environment that will bring out the best in people, you will want this book by your side at all times."
--Bill Moggridge, Director of the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum "Make Space is an articulate account about the importance of space; how we think about it, build it and thrive
Published January 3rd 2012 by Wiley (first published December 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Make Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Space

Start your review of Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration
Diana
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book, created by the Stanford d.school, is an amazing source of design inspiration. While it tends to be geared more towards open office spaces and college environments, there's plenty of ideas and resources for educators as well. Make Space tells the d.school's story - it's need for flexibility and economy when being shuffled all over campus, what worked and didn't work for their collaborative spaces, and how they finally figured out how to get it right.

Interspersed throughout the book are
Nathanael Coyne
An excellent resource for thinking about, planning and setting up spaces that encourage participation, collaboration and creativity. Everything from design and creative process "templates" through to DIY woodwork construction of tables and office furniture for mobile set-up/take-down areas, writing, sticking up. Lots of illustrations, photos and stories that will inspire!
Erwin
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring book full of lessons from experimental/ iterative creative space design at d.school. Besides many insights, situations to design for and space studies there's build instructions for DIY furniture. I just wish the instructions where a bit more specific or detailed, because I feel like building better workspace(s) now.
Brendan Byrne
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! What was the last book you read that had something mind blowing on every page? If you can't think of one or it's been a while then make Make Space by David Kelley your next read.
I honestly don't know what else to say beyond this.

Most design thinking books are cagey or covetous or their knowledge. I figure this is a result of them effectively acting as small advertisements for the author's expertise or design services. The result is a text that espouses the benefits of a design thinking met
Duane
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
As someone that works in a collaborative workspace, this book was a real game-changer. A synergistic ecosystem pivot. A way to think that's different. I can't wait to apply my learnings. On a slightly less snarky note, there were lots of cool designs for using everyday materials for brilliant solutions in co-working spaces.
Kathy Gorski
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this often to anyone looking to develop a makerspace in their schools. GREAT ideas (many we have used easily and successfully). Unless you are tapped into a mega-donor, this book is essential for how to engage in making without the superfund to do it.
Susan Cosden
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for thinking about designing learning/meeting/collaborating spaces and the materials in them.
Alejandro Perez
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of great ideas, mostly for DIY's, but I was able to share a couple of great ones that got implemented in our workspace.
Six
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
design thinking, as a space.
Dudee
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Libraries and many corporations are transforming some of their traditional office or public space into this "collaborative" or "maker" space right now. If you are on one of the teams to evaluate/design/implement such a project, be sure you and your team has this book. There is something for everyone involved in creating and operating a collaborative space in this book.

The authors are faculty members of the Design Institute of Stanford (d.school). This book is like a combination of manual and "le
Jonathan Cassie
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring and well organized assortment of ideas to pump up existing design learning spaces or make new ones. I will be referring back to this book for a long time.
Lindsey
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vine-books
At first, I was a bit confused with the layout of this book. The book definitely lacks flow and just jumps from one idea to the next. Picking up the book to read from cover to cover, you end up scratching your head saying, "What am I doing here. What am I even reading here."

Then, you decide to pick up the book for ideas, inspiration, starting points. And suddenly, it makes sense. You suddenly see the ideas flowing from the pages and you see what is being done and immediately start thinking, "Now
Allison
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Scott Doorley and Scott Witthoft are engineers and professors at Stanford University who wrote this book. They have been at the forefront of the makerspace movement since 2007 and developed an insightful, research-based book about how to incorporate makerspace, hack space, fabLabs into classrooms, businesses, and workspaces. The wisdom they have to impart is valuable for everyone, especially those who want to make the most functional, innovative space available to collaboration. They share tons ...more
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't too impressed with this book when I first thumbed through it. It was when I had time to slowly read and digest small bits at a time, reflecting and thinking it through that I realized what a gem this book is. It changed the way I look at space and made me more aware of its effect on people. A treasure to have when designing learning / collaborative spaces.
Pete Sena
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This quote from the Book says it all "space is the body language of an organization". As an entrepreneur of a growing business going from my dorm room to a offices in multiple the idea and understanding of how space physically can shape culture in your organization is absolutely critical. I highly recommend all my fellow entrepreneurs read this book and see how they can incorporate making and hacking into not just their product design and digital work but also their physical space. Def worth buy ...more
Kate Davis
Most helpful resource for designing 'working' spaces! Especially if multiple people use those spaces. I picked it up for my office, and then it gave me so many ideas for how we could make classrooms (graduate level) more functional.

The book is a combination of theory and frameworks to help you reflect, mixed with actual solutions (including lists of where to buy materials) that Stanford's d.school uses and instructions for building. I doubt I'll do anything in here exactly as they suggest, but s
Manuel Frias
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
This book is plenty with ideas to reorganize your work place. Some are cool. Some seem useful for making a more creative use of the space. But, maybe I am too conservative or I think my organization is. The fact is that I find most of them very difficult to carry them out.

I think this book might be useful to new start-ups or organizations with a highly creative people. Most of the ideas would find a hard resistance to apply in rather bureaucratic organizations like mine, I'm afraid.
Pat East
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a fairly great read if you want to have ideas on how to shake up your work space productively. While many of these changes do not require much in the way of resources, I would recommend only reading this book when you have a significant amount of space that can be experimented with immediately. I look forward to employing what I learned in this book at home and in the community.
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great recipe book for those looking to create or improve makerspaces, studios, collborative spaces, or anywhere else creativity and project development needs to happen. I'm already thinking of ways to apply this to my own small space.
Jamie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book gives great ideas for creating collaborative work spaces. Some can be applied to school spaces, but more of the ideas are applicable to adult work spaces. The book does inspire the readers, however, to think "outside the box" about they can make their own space more collaborative.
Melanie
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book describes the physical space needed for a collaborative environment (and includes instructions on how to actually build white boards and cubes to sit on). It doesn't get into the social environment that makes these function well. It looks trendy and I suspect it won't age all that well.
Mike
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
was really inspired by this book, just for figuring out how my home workspace should be organized
Jonas Henrique
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Awesome book that made me think about how can I design and organize spaces to generate better ideas and experiences!
Debbie Carey
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic! I am looking forward to attending an Innovative Conference and hearing speakers from the dschool. Environments support communities and their ideas and thinking!
Amber
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Loved this book. Used some of the quotes, ideas, and examples in a space proposal for my group at work. Fun to also read some of the history of the evolution of the space at the d.school.
Brandon
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Interesting ideas for me. I sought this title out as I was going through a small renovation project in the house to create a make space for my family.
Maggie Tumenbatur
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A reference book to go back to from time to time
Alan
A helpful book. It's definitely a "how-to" book -- one that I want to pick back up when I'm ready to design & build "creating spaces." ...more
Bill Van Loo
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent - extremely inspiring as I get ready to move into my first dedicated classroom space!
Christy
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are in need of designing a workspace or new building, I would recommend this book. If you have the budget for awesome furniture, event better!

• Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • Business Model Generation
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days