Start by marking “City Girl, Country Vet (Talyton St George, #1)” as Want to Read:
City Girl, Country Vet (Talyton St George, #1)

City Girl, Country Vet

(Talyton St. George #1)

London veterinarian Maz Harwood has learned the hard way that love and work don't mix. So when Emma, her best friend from vet school, asks her to look after her practice in the English countryside for six months, Maz decides that is just the change of scenery she needs. But country life is trickier than she could have imagined. It is one thing to trade her smart heels for ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Hachette Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about City Girl, Country Vet, please sign up.
Caroline I think the u.k version is called 'trust me. I'm a vet' .its number one in the series here.

Start your review of City Girl, Country Vet (Talyton St George, #1)
Samantha
Maz Harwood decides to accept the post of locum at Otter House Small Animal Veterinary Clinic in the Devon market town of Talyton St George to help out college friend Emma Kendall.

First let's make one thing clear despite the blurb on the front cover by Katie Fforde "I absolutely loved this - it made me laugh and cry! Such a treat to read." This is not a funny book unless you find the idea of animals being put down funny nor does it stir emotions so deep that you cry except in frustration and
Lesley
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was looking forward to reading this novel because what could be better than a book combining the English countryside with animals and a story line about a country veterinary practice? Unfortunately, I was to be disappointed by this one. The main character was not very likeable and didn't seem to be a very good veterinarian at all! The love story was so one dimensional and undeveloped it was pathetic. In fact, not one of the characters were developed to any degree of depth. I found myself with ...more
Leah
Apr 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge animal fan – particularly after we adopted our two dogs after moving into their house – so when I was browsing on the Bookseller website one night and I came across an article saying Cathy Woodman was going to be writing a new vets series, I knew I had to keep track of when the book was coming out as it sounded like a fantastic read. I was thrilled when it finally came up on Amazon for release and I was even happier when I was offered it to review.

I’ve never read any of Cathy’s books
 Gigi Ann
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This book reminded me of the James Herriott true stories from his books in the 1970s. However, this is a novel, not true stories, but it is a charming and original tale of adventure, mishap, and romance centered around a vet's practice in the English countryside.
Nickitopster
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bor-ing...except for the animals!
I wanted to like this book because 1) it was a new author for me and that's always a potentially good thing and 2) a book about a vet and animals -- I love animals! So I thought I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, it was boring. I finished it only because I usually always finish books that I start but I found myself skimming vs. actually reading the text. None of the characters were really ones you wanted to root for...except for some of the cats and dogs! Sadly,
Cheryl
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the vet story. Not my cup of tea I want more Herriott and less romance.
Teri-K
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-general, dnf
I didn't know this book was written in present tense, which I despise. A good book doesn't need a gimmick like that. Though this wasn't a good book. The MC isn't very bright or competent, the hero's actions make no sense and the best friend is totally irresponsible. With friends like that...

It wasn't worth finishing so I didn't.
Maddie
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Aside from the fun British humor and the interesting veterinary angle, the characters were flat and the storyline predictable. A good mindless, rainy-day read.
Lelia Taylor
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Comfort fiction. Sometimes, I have to escape from what I spend most of my reading time on and comfort fiction is what I want. City Girl, Country Vet fills the bill in a lot of ways with just a few very minor quibbles.

I’m inordinately attached to stories about veterinarians in rural areas, usually preferring real vets’ tales about their own experiences (thank you, James Herriot!), but fiction is OK, too, and I imagine some of this story might be based on real life since Ms. Woodman started out as
Amanda
Trust Me, I'm a Vet is most definitely a novel of two parts. I say that because the vet aspects and the animal stories were handled beautifully and practically brought me to tears on some occasions, whereas the "chick lit" part of the novel - the contrived way of bringing Maz to Otter House Veterinary Clinic, the romance, the larger-than-life characters - were clunky and cliched.

I do think that Cathy Woodman has talent as a novelist, and I have no doubt that the other novels in this series will
Jessica
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, I finished this book quickly. I've been mired down in Game of Thrones as audiobooks (to/from work), which I enjoy, but seriously, what a way to start and end your day. I get home and Husband is like, "How was your day?", and I'm like, "The night is long and full of terrors." And by long, I mean 180 HOURS of audiobook stabbings and faces getting chewed off. This is why "City Girl, Country Vet" was such a delight. The biggest threats to our protagonist (city-girl-turned-country-vet) are the ...more
Lindsey
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more then I did. I thought it was a great concept and I couldn't wait to read it when I picked it up on a whim the other day. I'm not a bit fan of books that are all drama and have nothing really good in them. They tend to make me a bit anxious. Nothing seemed to go right in this book, even at the end when things were starting to wind down. It just kind of made me depressed seeing bad thing after bad thing happen to Maz and nothing really good ever happening. ...more
Lori
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I expected a chick-lit book and I got one with slightly more depth than normal chick-lit. I found the vet details interesting, due to my love of animals. The antagonists were predictable as was the romance. But, that's just what I was looking for and exactly what I expected. Very enjoyable quick read!
Nicole
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was far and away from my typical genres but I enjoyed the story quite a bit. It's a bit personal I guess, I am able to relate to a city girl getting stuck in a small town. It's a happy little book despite all the little dramas, and probably any animal lover would be fond enough of it.
Kimberly
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute, super easy reading. Not high lit by any stretch but a good way to spend the time.
Bloss ♡
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
Julie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
rating it a 4 not as 'top literature' but a fun take on a rom-com, a great laze-about-Saturday read.
And actually, it is not as 'comedic' as could have been written, which is a good thing IMHO, although as a movie that could run it that way. too many serious situations.
I groaned when our city girl has an interaction with a local who is a rude snob - "oh no, this will be the romantic interest". but an apology issues forth at least...
the aspect of her girlfriend's lack of forthcoming regarding
Jen
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books
I finally get to read this one, after waiting years for any of the various libraries I've visited to have a copy- and now I find it's a whole series, and, of course, my current library has none of the other books! What am I going to do?!

This one was really great! A real page-turner; I enjoyed it very much. Reminds me of my favorites by Lucy Dillon.

Amanda (Maz) relocates to the Dover countryside from London, auspiciously to help out an old friend who needs someone to handle her veterinary
Annie Drewello
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Picked up on a whim to read at the beach, it was fun and quick but predictable. The vet aspect of the story was wonderful with great attention to detail that reminded me of James Herriot's All Creatures series (which others mentioned in their reviews and attracted me in the first place.) However the romance I could have done without as I guessed the general idea pretty quickly on. Though it was pretty mild as far as romance goes, I'm guessing.

There were a lot of characters that were a little
Natalie Morosiuk
Well it's nice. And it is an easy read. But from the first chapter you can guess the rest of the book. OK so she is a city girl and she moves to a sleepy market town with all these country bumpkins, you've told me once why do you then need to tell me again 1000 times? It's fine I get it, loud and clear! And all the character have the same personality. So similar in fact that I'm desperately trying to memorise their names because that is the only thing that differentiates them. They are all ...more
Gwendolyn Broadmore
Trust Me I'm a Vet, by Cathy Woodman, is an animal lover's delight! Fast paced and jammed full with drama (both animal and human); it's interspersed with the very best of British humour. Trust Me I'm a Vet, immerses the reader in the merciless gossip of country life, in a small town in Devonshire. Everyone knows your business here (sometimes before you do). Poor Maz Harwood has been coerced into standing in, at her best friend's practice, while Emma takes a badly needed break. But is this the ...more
Jenifer
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
An easy read, not particularly well written - one of those books where the main character blames herself repeatedly for everything that goes wrong (and everything does go wrong), and you just want to shake her and tell her to get over herself. I didn't know this was the first in a series until I sat down to review it, and while I more or less enjoyed the story, I really don't care enough to read any more in the series.
Marie (UK)
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trust me this was hard work!! I don't think I have read anything with so much saccharine in it for a while. I just couldn't care less about any of the characters who lurch from one disaster into another. a real mills and boon of a book girl meets boy, girl hates boy, boy is a brute but oh so sexy with it girl decides she loves boy, boy is out of reach. Oh good girl and boy get it all together in the end
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Somewhere between two and three stars. A really good premise that just fell a tad flat in the writing in parts. Some of the flashbacks the author wrote just were choppy, and I think the characters could of been written a little better so they were a bit more three dimensional, but otherwise it was a good, light read. I think I’ll try another one just to see if the writing improves a bit.
Pippa
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn’t read anything by Cathy Woodman before but she seems to be popular with fans of Milly Johnson & Lucy Dillon, so when I found all 10 of the “Talyton St George” on offer at only 0.99 each, I bought the lot. Although the first half of the book certainly met the “pleasant light reading” standard, the second half pushed it up to the next level leaving me with a bit of a dilemma over my rating, so I will call it a 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

Personally I do not expect any great plot
Emma
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rural-romance
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love reading rural romances and also love reading medical or veterinarian fiction so this was a perfect fit for my tastes. I loved the story line, easy to read and filled with enough twists to make it less predictable.
Paris
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book however the writing was so stilted and the characters so one sided. It was so hard to get into and I stubbornly finished it to find out how it ended. It was a real struggle to read.
A Reading Girl
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny book, reminded me of the gossip rife in small towns (or village more like). I was hoping to read something similar to James Herriot, but the tone was more in line with a chick-lit than a classic :)
Miriam
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-life, chicklit
If you like James Herriot, you'll love Woodman. She has a marvelous way of describing adventures with cats, dogs, and other critters whose 'parents' come to her veterinary clinic. The vignettes are charming. Some will make you laugh, others cry. In the end, you'll yearn for more of these heartwarming stories woven together for all to enjoy.

Check out Woodman's other books, they are equally charming.
Eileen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Lots of stories and loved the characters. If you enjoy dogs, friendship, romance + mystery, you will love this. Some cute expressions too from Ireland or England that I am familiar with added to my enjoyment.

• The Paradise Guest House
  • A Vintage Summer
  • Letters from Lighthouse Cottage
  • Poppy's Recipe for Life
  • The Pet Shop at Pennycombe Bay: An uplifting story about community and friendship
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Christmas at the Cake Shop in the Garden
  • Hetty’s Farmhouse Bakery
  • The Picture House by the Sea
  • The Hotel on Mulberry Bay
  • A Love Like Ours (Porter Family, #3)
  • The Pursuit of Mary Bennet: A Pride & Prejudice Novel
  • Escape to Willow Cottage
  • Trust Your Heart (The Pets at Primrose Cottage #3)
  • What Is Meditation?: Buddhism for Everyone
  • A Sea Change
  • Icefields
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
I began my working life as a small-animal vet. Like turning the pages in a book, I was never quite sure what was going to happen at the surgery next. From the sausage dog who swallowed a sewing needle to the telly addict of a rabbit who lost an eye to infection, there was never a dull moment.

I have always loved to read, escaping into all kinds of novels during those long nights on call, but I didn

Talyton St. George (10 books)
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • It's a Vet's Life (Talyton St George, #4)
  • The Village Vet (Talyton St George, #5)
  • Vets in Love (Talyton St George, #6)
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Follow Me Home (Talyton St George, #8)
  • Accidentally in Love (Talyton St George, #9)
  • Springtime at Cherry Tree Cottage (Talyton St George, #10)