Start by marking “A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)

A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  5,711 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
Suffering from writer's block and frustrated with his tentative relationship with hot but closeted L.A.P.D. Homicide Detective Jake Riordan, gay bookseller and mystery writer Adrien English travels to northern California where he finds a body in his front drive. By the time the sheriffs arrive, the body has disappeared, and Adrien once again finds himself playing amateur s ...more
Published 2002 by Gay Men's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Thing

Baba
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: josh-lanyon, m-m
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Photobucket

There is potential between Adrien and Jake, although Jake can't read see it yet.

Adrien English needs to make some changes since he is not in the best of moods. One of the reasons is his detective "friend" Jake Riordan. Jake is tough, smart, very handsome but also deeply closeted. Another reason for his sourly mood is his writer's block. Therefore Adrien decides to go out of town for a little vacation. Our wannabe criminologist is heading off for his pro
Loederkoningin
2015 Comfort re-read #3. I'm not embarrassed. Oh, and it's funny how 'normal' those (view spoiler) scenes are, and yet they make me hold my breath and make my heart swell where many fuss & frills filled scenes in other books leave me cold. :')

2013I'm head over heels.

Okay, that should actually be Team Jake & Team Adrien.:)
Wendy
4.5-star-rating.png (938×189)

So after my last re-read I decided to finally review these awesome books and adjust my rating ;)

Let me start by saying this these books can not be read as stand-alones. It's a series and you have to start with book 1. Even I started with book 1 and everyone knows I love to so shit ass backwards :P

So those of you who have read book 1 already know who Adrien and Jake are, so I am not gonna go into that again. Those of you who haven't read book 1, I would seriously recommend that you do ;)

readallthebooks.jpg (259×195)

Adrien is
Vivian
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue and suspense with the hapless and lovable Adrien right in the middle of it--again.

Dude is a trouble magnet. Truth is he often stumbles across it innocently, but then manages to court it quite well. Here, an escape from LA to the hinterlands north in abandoned gold mining country leads to all kinds of brouhaha. Nice character backstory woven in and some sweet progress with the reticent detective, Jake. I feel severe yo-yo syndrome about to start. Ain't gonna be that easy to fix what's br
~Mindy Lynn~
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kindle-own
A COUPLE OR MORE SPOILERS UP AHEAD SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Man....... It is really hard to try and like Jake let alone love him. He just likes to push all of my ~Fuck No~ buttons.

I was happy when Adrien decided to give him and Jake some space. But unfortunately our loveable Adrien just can't keep himself outta trouble so of course Jake comes to the rescue.

Although I didn't love the mystery, (it got a bit boring in spots) it was definitely interesting.

I loved the progress Jake and Adrien m
Ingela
Written May 27, 2014

4.3 Stars - An even tighter band to tie me into these guys lives - My goodness, so amazingly addictive

Book #2

I was listening to the audio of the first part Fatal Shadows (4.3 stars) in the Adrien English Mystery just some days ago, and it was a very promising start.

Will there be a tiny little bit kissing and romantic parts this time? ~ Indeed, it might. - *happy smile* - Thanks, I loved that... yummy good!!

These Adrien English books may be more more of brazen, on the "surfa
Breann
3rd reread... bumped it up to 4 stars.

_____________________________________

The mystery was meh. I didn't find myself caring too much about the outcome of the murders.

I did want more of the relationship between Jake and Adrien though. They really had a rocky start and I'm still trying not to want to impale Jake with a butter knife. They had some great moments and even some sexy ones. But still, Jake was such a complete dickwad at times. Can they just be nice to each other for, oh I don't know...
Sofia
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

First reading 05.12.2013
For me this was a welcome dive into Lanyon's world. A page turner with guys whom I'm interested in. The second book continued on the promise of the first and gave me more I suspect the relationship between Adrien and Jake is going to be troubled and not instant. Yes, something to chew on at last. Have to keep myself from instantly going on to the 3rd book, have to savour these. Keep them as treats, not shoved down randomly.

Reread 08.10.2014
Rather a hearing not a reading.
Martin
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...”

A Dangerous Thing indeed.
After his almost death in book 1, Adrien decides to take a time out of his complicated 'friendship' with deeply closeted homicide detective Jake Riordan. He packs his stuff and travels to his late grandmother's ranch in northern California which he inherited some 20 years ago and never returned to ever since.

The moment he reaches the driveway of his estate, he stumbles over a dead body in the dark of night. When he returns with the local
Anna  (Bananas!)
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, thriller-mystery
While the mystery didn't hold my attention much this round, the slightly awkward yet compelling evolution of Adrien and Jake's relationship made this a keeper.

Jake Riordan
(All I picture is Robert Redford.)
 photo robert1_zps828eaef0.jpg

Adrien English
(Montgomery Clift)
 photo Monty_zps3d1a5692.jpg

The Characters
I still adore Adrien's sense of humor. The occasional times I got bored, his drily funny comments and one-liners pulled me back in - and often caught me by surprise.

I use the term "holding on" loosely, because for the most part life went on ex
Shelley
This was A-Okay. A good 3.5 Stars.

More character development and interaction between our protagonists gives this book that something more that I missed in 1]Fatal Shadows. The murder mystery story line was clever (as usual) and engaging with lots of action and excitement, but as soon as Adrien walks into a library or a museum? I start skimming. It's no secret that I see this series as the Adrien and Jake show, so I tend to focus on that.

Happily I learned a few good things about Adrien, enough to
Chris
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked on this series and don't know what took me so long to read it! Adrian goes and gets himself caught up in another great murder mystery. I just love Adrian. He is funny, smart and brave. Now Jake on the other hand is so frustrating and there is so many reasons why I shouldn't like him, but I do. I want to hit him upside the head for being so homophobic, but there is also such a sweet, protect and caring side to him. I really love seeing his transformation as he gets closer to Adrian. Th ...more
Katerina
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm ...

I like these two guys. I really like them.

“He hurt you.”
“I don’t remember. Maybe.”
“You let it happen.”
Again I didn’t have an answer.
“You let it happen, but you didn’t enjoy it.”
“Well, no.” I asked carefully, “Did you enjoy it? Hearing us, I mean.”
“No.” All at once his face looked older: tight, bleak. “You were afraid. And I was afraid. I thought you were going to die.”
“I knew you’d save me.”

Sex wasn’t everything. There were other things: someone to see you through sickness and in he
Bev
***Audio Review. Chris Patton does a decent job with Adrien and Jake. His British accent wasn't bad either 😊. ***

Oh Jake, you wonderful man, you finally got with the programme!!

This was a smashing follow-up to 'Fatal Shadows'. We knew that there was a smidgen of interest on Jake's part in Adrien, and we knew damn well that Adrien was into Jake. I'm ashamed to say that the storyline pretty much took a back seat as far as I was concerned to the developing relationship between the two of them.

It w
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Review written after re-reading it.

I was hooked with the first book in the series and last year I read the five installments back to back. I enjoyed this book, but with time its memory sort of faded in my mind, because what happens in book 3 is shocking and you just HAVE TO read #4 to keep your sanity. Poor #2 seemed almost light in comparison to the darker story in Fatal Shadows and the shock (I don't have another word) of The Hell You Say. I was a bit surprised and very delighted to find that
Lelyana's Reviews

*source:http://joyfullyjay.com/2013/12/guest-...

I know this is going to be a hard ride, especially with Jake and Adrien.
I didn't have a problem with the murder, hell...every where Adrien go, it seems he attracted murder.
While Jake is...SMH... All the time, I wanna call the Corleone family and do these things to him...

And Adrien is just do whatever Jake please. Grrr...
"“I’ve got nothing to offer you, Adrien.” These were not the opening remarks to a proposal.
“I don’t recall asking.” For good meas
Lena♥Ribka

**** Warning!!! It could contain spoilers!!! ****

Actually I am so eager to read the next book that I don't want to waste my time trying to persuade you to fall in love with this series.

From the other hand, I don't need to convince anybody:

It is the second instalment and probably you're already through the beginning and are in the similar situation - YOU WANT TO READ MORE, right?

Just some thoughts to the second book:

Josh Lanyon in a rather unusual way proved that he can writes a very good myste
Jenni Lea
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: SueM

OK, its official. I’m hooked on Adrien English. While the storyline in this book wasn’t as interesting as the first one, the sexy times more than made up for it. And I have to give props to Mr. Lanyon. I didn’t figure out whodunit until a couple of pages before they were revealed. I would like to know what’s up with the abrupt endings though. I take it this is the author’s writing style. I can deal with it. On to the next one!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I'm going to review this quickly because I jumped right to the third and have trouble differentiating between the two books right now.

Still just the barest hint of romance but a really well done mystery. I'm hooked!!
Vishous
3.5

better...much better... but need more of them together! much more....
Jenny
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
A Dangerous Thing is book 2 in the Adrien English Mysteries Series by Josh Lanyon. One day Adrien English had enough of the wishy-washy relationship with Detective James Patrick Riordan (Jake) and decided to go on a holiday to his farm for peace to think and finish his book. However, this was not what happen on arrive Adrien found a dead body, and he was attacked and end up in the hospital. Jake was called after police found his card in Adrien pockets. Readers of A Dangerous Thing will follow th ...more
Debra
This book definitely moved along better than the first. While the mystery is still the main part of the book, Adrien and Jake's budding relationship gets a lot of time as well.

Two months after the events in the first book Adrien leaves LA to visit the ranch he inherited from his grandmother, in an attempt to clear his head and get away from his "relationship" with Jake. Their relationship seems to be more off than on, and Adrien views it as a tentative friendship that he fears will be gone with
Lenore
On the latest episode of Lenore's Josh Lanyon binge...

I liked this better than the first book in the series, Fatal Shadows. The mystery was better, there was more action, and things have finally started picking up between Adrien and Jake. Though I have to admit the way they came together, intimately I mean, was a bit anticlimactic. Made you wonder what took them so long to even exchange a kiss if it was always that simple. And they obviously care about each other but it's also obvious they have
Therese
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery in this book was definitely more elaborate than in book 1. It still has a classic crime though. Where Dark Shadows had “The Stalker back from the past”, this one has “The Mystery of the Missing Corpse”.
Although the corpse was just the beginning…

(view spoiler)
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

”Spooky footfalls in the night are not nearly as frightening as the prospect of being alone and lonely.”

I have the biggest blushing crush right now! I’m not entirely certain who I have the bigger crush on though—Adrien or Josh Lanyon? :D In book two of Josh Lanyon’s Adrien English Mysteries, we once again find Adrien displaying his knack for bumping into dead bodies. The man is like a magnet for mystery!

Tumbleweeds, rattlesnakes, tobacco spewing deputies, lost gold mines, secret Indian societie
Rosa, really
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love tortuous bastards
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Uh....everybody.
If the first book Fatal Shadows is noirish, than A Dangerous Thing is definitely a Western--Adrien English Rides Again! Or perhaps Adrien English and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre! (*said in movie announcer voice*)

Lanyon definitely knows how to infuse a book with the right sort of atmosphere. From the two old "geezers" telling jokes about General Custer, to Jake eating his morning "vittles," to the Sheriff that actually tells Adrien not to leave town, you never forget that you could be read
Kelly H. (Maybedog)

Jake can be such an ass and Adrien doesn't even see it. He puts up with way more than is even believable. They've been "together" three months and in this book they finally kiss. Jake's homophobia and self-loathing is getting tiring. It's also confusing as he is inconsistent with affection. Why a guy whose been out his whole life would be willing to be with someone like Jake who doesn't even let Adrien touch him is too far fetched.

But... Lanyon is a gifted writer and this book is a jo
Susan
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Thank goodness...book 2 starting picking up the pace...a little bit. There's potential here.

Again, the first half of the book I kept thinking "I don’t understand how any of this can be considered romance." In fact, the main "couple" didn't even share their first KISS until 63% into the SECOND book! Now THAT'S taking it slow!!!!!

What frustrated me for most of this book is that we're supposed to think of Adrien & Jake as a couple. But Jake, actually loathing the fact that he's gay, has a girl
Deeze
Another extremely well told and interesting story with the romance building up slowly.

The mystery again kept me guessing only this time I had no idea whodunit lol. The look into the past and the Indian legends were enjoyable contrasts to the present day activities.

Jake again left me feeling conflicted. I felt so bad for Adrien when he made the phone call at the begining, but then Jake immediately followed him. Talk about mixed signals. I'm assuming from friends remarks that he gets worse befor
Viv
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Re-read November 2016 for the Goodreads challenge.

Adrien continues to be one of my favorite characters. He is so sarcastic, but also so caring. In this book, he realizes his feelings for Jake, but knows how fruitless that will be. Jake continues to be a total contradiction, running hot and cold. He always comes when Adrien needs him though. I really enjoyed this book and the mystery is good too. The romance is so good, but so heartbreaking at the same time.

If you like audiobooks, I highly recomm
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Double Down (Shadow of the Templar, #2)
  • Quis Custodiet (The Administration, #5)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon

The Adrien English Mysteries (6 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • So This is Christmas

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
    $7.99 $1.99
“Adrien, people get killed all the time. Since when is it your job to find out what happened to them?"

"I'm not usually suspected of murdering them."

"You have been as long as I've known you.”
58 likes
“I'm a thirty-something gay man with a dodgy heart. I sell books for a living. Who wants to read about that?” 35 likes