Start by marking “The Diving Pool: Three Novellas” as Want to Read:
The Diving Pool: Three Novellas

The Diving Pool: Three Novellas

From Akutagawa Award-winning author Yoko Ogawa comes a haunting trio of novellas about love, fertility, obsession, and how even the most innocent gestures may contain a hairline crack of cruel intent. A lonely teenage girl falls in love with her foster brother as she watches him leap from a high diving board into a pool—a peculiar infatuation that sends unexpected ripples ...more
Published January 22nd 2008 by Picador (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Diving Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diving Pool

Start your review of The Diving Pool: Three Novellas
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature, japan
Okay, a few things are definitely going on here, and I'm happy to clear up the confusion for anyone who may not have my depth and breadth of knowledge on the subject. People are crazy or sane, things are happening or not happening, supporting characters are flesh and blood or mental constructs, and there's honey. Or blood. A body or a beehive. Okay? You're welcome.

As you can see, I actually had no idea what was real at least half the time while reading this, but I love it. I like the
Kay
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: not divers, pregnant women, or long lost cousins
Well, if I ever want acid indigestion, I know just the book to turn to.

I've been very lucky this past year with contemporary Japanese authors, and Yoko Ogawa has been one of the top on that list. This novella features three standalone stories, all united by recurring themes. In each story, the main characters assume the role of the incongruous outsider, distant and apathetic, but frothing underneath with violent undercurrents of obsession and desire.

Perhaps most significantly, these outsiders are a
Teresa
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The three stories in this collection are disturbing, warped and lovely. Unlike with some collections, the stories seem to belong together and are placed in a chronological fashion, by age of the the first-person female narrator (though they are not the same person): from a young teenage girl to a college-aged woman with a part-time job to a young wife. The stories are told in deceptively simple prose that keeps you thinking for a long time afterward.

There are thematic and symbolic st
Warwick
It's ironic that this was translated by Stephen Snyder, who wrote a famous essay about literary translation – The Murakami Effect – complaining that translated fiction tends disproportionately to favour those writers who use simple language and minimal cultural detail. Ironic because that's exactly how I'd characterise this book. It exists comfortably in that Global English which calls on a small vocabulary, a flat style, and no knowledge of its context, and builds its sense of generalised anxiety fro ...more
Blair
Three stories, all of which feel unsettling in a way that can be difficult to quantify. The main characters might be collectively described as female outsiders: two women and one girl, all of them lonely, detached, and concerned with observing rather than participating.

In 'The Diving Pool', teenage Aya focuses her obsessive energies on her foster brother Jun, whose body she covets, and a little girl named Rie, whom she torments. 'Pregnancy Diary' again centres on a character who seem
akiko
Yon Creepy + Strange Stars!

This collection of novellas has three stories in total.

Story one is about a girl who is rather obsessed with her foster-brother, and she has some disturbing tendencies towards her new foster-sister, who is a year and a half. Something that is portrayed in this story (through Aya's POV) is that the boy is rather pure, but I didn't really feel that way, particularly near the end of the novella.

Story two is f*cked up, in a different way
David
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: big-red-circle
I think she should have made a novel from "The Diving Pool". I thoroughly enjoyed our hero empowering herself and expressing love through brutal cruelty to another:
"Rie's terrified tears were particularly satisfying, like hands caressing me in exactly the right places – not vague, imaginary hands but his hands, the ones I was sure would know just how to please me." Yikes, huh?

"Pregnancy Diary" - Eerie. Weird. More of Ogawa's nourishing cruelty.

"Dormitory" - Again, cruelt
Kaya
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Despite the fact I find Asian literature a bit unconventional, the more I read it, the more I like it. This book is no exception. It has it all - melancholy, questionable behaviour and obsession. I've read it in one sitting, it really is fast-paced, but it's not for everyone.

This is a collection of three short stories that are really dark. You're never sure whether the story will turn into tragedy or resolve safely. Or even if it will resolve at all. The characters walk on thin line between luc
Faye
First read: November 2016
Rating: DNF at 6%
I wasn't in the right mood to read this a few years ago so I abandoned it then. I'm hoping I enjoy it more now!

Re-read: May 2019

The Diving Pool - 2.5/5 stars
Pregnancy Diary - 4/5 stars
Dormitory - 4.5/5 stars

I really liked the second and third stories in this collection, which I read for the first time. The Diving Pool is definitely my least favourite as the narrator is such an awful human being it makes the sto
Jill
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Last year, I read Yoko Ogawa’s newest collection, Revenge – spare and unsettling tales of emotionally damaged individuals that contrast elegant prose with often bizarre situations.

The Diving Pool, written nearly a quarter century earlier, provides a context for Ms. Ogawa’s trajectory as a writer. It offers three novellas that start out gently and gradually build in intensity while maintaining their dreamlike state.

In the first, a truculent teen named Aya is obsessed with
Calzean
Ogawa writes tightly and draws you into her stories. I think the meaning between these stories would probably be best debated by those studying Japanese literature.
Each of these three novellas put their characters in a pendulum of normality and evil.
In "The Diving Pool" the teenage narrator lives in an orphanage run by her parents. She is infatuated with a long term resident who dives in the local pool. She also has an evil side when dealing with the youngest resident.
In "Pregn
Zak
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's always exciting when trying out writers for the first time. You never know what to expect and whether the book is ultimately good or not, there's still that initial feeling of unfamiliarity and discovery. Yoko Ogawa has been popping up in my feeds a lot lately, with generally rave reviews and comments about 'The Housekeeper and the Professor'. I still haven't read that but could gather that it was a generally sweet, moving tale with some romance thrown in.

Instead of going for th
Cheryl
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read by this leading Japanese author. After recently reading her wonderful book “The Housekeeper and the Professor” I started looking for her other translated works.
This is a collection of 3 novellas, all marked by her simple elegant prose. My favourite was the title story, about a teenage girl whose religious parents run a home (the ‘Light House’) for orphans and abandoned children. She feels out of sync with her family and her home. “Sometimes, as I approach, th
Jamie
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prose-fiction
I have been dying for some more Ogawa ever since I read two of her short stories in The New Yorker over two years ago and instantly fell for her prose. A novel that was supposed to come out last year never arrived, and it's been one long tease.

Ogawa writes with unfettered, graceful prose that is seductive in its softness and simplicity, lending even more shock value to her dark subjects. In the title story, a young girl who grew up in the orphanage run by her parents has grown obsessed wit
Shaindel
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I recently read this book so that I could interview the translator, Stephen Snyder, for my radio show, _Translated By_. I read this book and _The Housekeeper and the Professor_ (also by Yoko Ogawa and translated by Stephen Snyder). I LOVED both books.

Ogawa has a reserved and distanced writing style that I find intriguing. Many of her characters are disaffected, young females, struggling to find their ways in the world, and many of her stories are haunting or disturbing because of the ways these
Miriam Cihodariu
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japan
Another read from Ogawa, and I continue to like her style overall. It is indeed what people would call 'disturbing', since it voices the inner thoughts and desires that don't do people much honor.

A teenager in love with her adoptive brother likes to take out her frustrations on a baby sister, by torturing her, as long as no marks of her activities remain.

A woman studies her sister's pregnancy with a semi-fascinated and semi-disgusted eye as if studying some alien manifestation.

Another woman t
Kirsty
The Diving Pool, a collection of three novellas, is the only outstanding work of Yoko Ogawa's which is currently available in English, which I had not yet read.  Although a prolific author, very few of Ogawa's works are available in English at present, and I can only hope that this is rectified in the near future.  I find Ogawa's fiction entirely beguiling; it is strange, chilling, surprising, and oh so memorable.  This collection has been translated from the original Japanese by Stephen Snyder.
Callum McLaughlin
There's something about Ogawa's work that is so effortlessly unsettling. It's like wandering around a seemingly pristine room, feeling that something just isn't quite right about it, before spotting a patch of mould festering in the corner. We'd rather ignore its ugliness, lest it spoil the beauty, but Ogawa takes us by the hand and makes us stare right at it.

The three novellas that comprise this book all explore suppressed emotion, with her heroines' slightly off kilter view of the
Moby
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
These were all nightmarish and quite hauntingly gripping. The novellas totally leaving me with strange feeling, can't really shake off those plots out of my mind. The Diving Pool was mundane but enough to give me that twisted depressing vibe. While Pregnancy Diary was more personal and honest day to day experience, views and thoughts about the narrator's sister's pregnancy. It was funnily absurd and very evocative. My favorite part would be when she explained about her part-time work and while s ...more
Alex
Oct 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
From this list.
Utsav
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
More creepy goodness from Yoko Ogawa. Not quite as shocking as 'Revenge' but there were enough bits where I could feel my pulse in my throat.

[Aside: is it an odd admission to make that reading about other people's evil thoughts gets my heart racing?]
Hoda Marmar
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Ogawa's creepy stories keep me begging for more. It is like a bad addiction really. The stories are either horrifying or downright mindblowing (or both). But I love them!
Farah Shamma
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book of three novellas, I did not expect it to be so dark. I’d previously to this read one book for the Yuko Ogawa, The Housekeeper and the Professor, and it was one of my favorite books in 2014. This book of novellas was pretty great as well but for me, it took a whole new tone than what I was used to from the author.

The first novella, The Diving Pool, is about a girl who essentially has a thing for her foster brother and likes to watch him during his diving practice. We get this story
Jana
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ogawa writes about dark and disturbing materials. But you don’t really get that, she sucks you in her everyday-normal-life vortex with its usual dialogues and people. But stories are chilling, although you don’t know why you feel like you are subtly creeped out. I like it when nature is one of the crucial characters – here it seems like rain never stops and light is circling around grey shades.

In 'Dormitory', she writes about this sound that she can’t explain. It’s something close to a vibratin
Steph
This is a wonderful collection of novellas! I had very high expectations for this book, and was not let down by Ogawa's subtly creepy storytelling.

Five stars for the title story - a sad and eerie tale about how the darkness within us isolates us from those we care for most.

I'm less fond of the second story, Pregnancy Diary. It covers similar territory (view spoiler), but it's much less satisfying
Ctgt
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been looking forward to reading Ogawa for some time, her writing is described as lean, subtle and nuanced which is everything I love in storytelling. And everything I read is correct.....but for some reason this collection never really spoke to me.
A young girl, whose parents run a small orphanage, becomes infatuated with a boy staying in the home. Ogawa explores her secret obsession and her cruel treatment of a another very young child at the orphanage.
A woman keeps a diary of her si
Jinn
. Not horror stories, these novellas just bring out that horror side of you.
. Strangely captivating and satisfying.
. Totally different from The Housekeeper and the Professor, which was what I'd expected, having heard a thing or two about Hotel Iris.
Katie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
“I'm sure it must have been even more wonderful then, when we were young and knew nothing about the pain of growing up.”

Yay, finally another book review! I picked up The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa on one of my book-buying jaunts with the lovely Kirsty from The Literary Sisters. These happen quite often and luckily, I always seem to come away with some brilliant pieces of literature.

The Diving Pool is a collection of three novellas, all just as creepy and unsettling as the last. The collection/>The
Kamila Kunda
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
Eating mochi with anko is a perfect accompaniment to reading Yoko Ogawa’s three novellas (“The Diving Pool”, “Pregnancy Diary” and “Dormitory”), which ooze sensuality and are full of nearly erotic descriptions of textures, flavours, sounds and smells (already the first sentence of the title novella gives a foretaste of what awaits the reader: “It’s always warm here: I feel as though I’ve been swallowed by a huge animal”). It only gets better.

When I read these novellas for the first t
Genevieve
Eerie. Somehow Ogawa writes these quiet stories in which little threads tugged loose in the ordinary and everyday create huge ripples and intimations of something frightening and vast and unknowable. What made these, for me, is the way you're never quite sure whether the story is about to tip over into full-blown horror--or resolve safely, even happily, within the domestic; the characters tremble on the line between malaise and madness, and it's hard for the reader to tell which is which.

• Toddler-Hunting & Other Stories
  • Mise en pièces
  • The Briefcase
  • Kokoro
  • Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful: Poems
Yōko Ogawa (小川 洋子) was born in Okayama, Okayama Prefecture, graduated from Waseda University, and lives in Ashiya. Since 1988, she has published more than twenty works of fiction and nonfiction. Her novel The Professor and his Beloved Equation has been made into a movie. In 2006 she co-authored „An Introduction to the World's Most Elegant Math ...more
“Still, being alone doesn't mean you have to be miserable. In that sense it's different from losing something. You've still got yourself, even if you lose everything else. You've got to have faith in yourself and not get down just because you're on your own.” 75 likes
“When we grow up, we find ways to hide our anxieties, our loneliness, our fear and sorrow. But children hide nothing, putting everything into their tears, which they spread liberally about for the whole world to see.” 32 likes