Start by marking “Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)” as Want to Read:
Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)

Queen's Bounty

(Ursula Blanchard #10)

The tenth gripping mystery to feature Ursula Blanchard, special aide to Queen Elizabeth I. Happily married to her third husband, Ursula Blanchard is rudely shaken on receipt of a threatening letter from the exiled Anne Percy, Countess of Northumberland, whose treasonous plot against Elizabeth I, Ursula helped foil a few months previously. Ursula dismisses the Countess’ ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Creme de la Crime (first published April 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Queen's Bounty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen's Bounty

Start your review of Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
Janet
One of the main reasons I enjoy this series is Ursula's unconventionality. Women had very rigid roles in Elizabethan England and I love not only Ursula's determination to live life on her own terms, but the actively supportive role her husband plays when she's off on another adventure.
William
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scanned-books
I had a difficult time finishing this book - the first half was boring and the second half just dragged on and on. I've struggled through other books in this series, but this was the worst.
Becky Durstenfeld
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. I didn't realize it was the 10th in a series and didn't read any of the previous ones. I didn't like this one enough to want to read the previous ones. It seems like they would have similar plots. A few of the scenarios seemed a bit implausible, but it is nice reading a book with no profanity or sex. I liked the main characters. Of course the ending was no surprise, but that was OK.
Kimberly Ann
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very little if anything inclusive of Elizabeth, Lord Burghley, Walsingham...

Mostly about Anne Percy: Countess of Northumberland & her plotted revenge against Ursula Blanchard-Stannard for foiling her previous plot to put Mary Scots on the throne.

Ursula & her household are thrust into turmoil as Ursula & her maid Sybill are framed for witchcraft.
Jane Irish Nelson
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
3.5 stars. Weddings feature prominently in this story. First, Ursula and her husband Hugh attend the wedding of Alice Cobbold, daughter of friends and neighbors. Then Ursula's daughter, Meg, recently turned fifteen, and her betrothed wish to marry sooner rather than later — Ursula had intended to wait till Meg turned sixteen. But everyone advises going ahead now, so she agrees. The other theme involves feuds. The Cobbold and Ferris families have been at daggers drawn for three generations, and t ...more
BRT
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, series
Another good book in this series about Queen Elizabeth's illegitimate half sister. In this book, she doesn't do any spying for the Queen but the drama hits closer to home. Someone she thwarted in the past manages to make trouble for her family and endanger her life.
Karen
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Um... on one hand, I kind of really liked this book. On the other hand, I knew it was ridiculously improbable and historically inaccurate. It was bit like high-brow chick-lit.
Amy
A shorter tightly written mystery. Excellent plot. Enjoyed it.
Michell Karnes
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Ursula works to solve another mystery right in her own home. I love these mysteries set in Elizabethan times.
San
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I fear that this series has gone the way of so many others with serious longevity: repetitive stories with uneven reliance on previous books to keep the storyline going. While the Catholic/Protestant conflict has provided a great basis for much of the series, things are just getting a bit odd. This story was completely reliant on a previous story for plot advancement yet there wasn't enough important information from the previous book to be helpful. Multiple mentions of how a previous antagonist ...more
Jenni
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Queen's Bounty is a great sequel to the last book in the Ursula Blanchard series...I liked that. The events that created the mystery all came together nicely at the end of the story, as the author often does well. The characters continue to develop, so it's not just about the mystery. It was a little predictable for me, but I'm not always great at solving mysteries so it was fun to be able to feel as though I was figuring this out.

Another reviewer mentioned needing to read this series in order
Wynne
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wonder if the writer is losing interest in the series. The best part of the book was her description of a wedding for an upper middle class family during Elizabethan England. Since it is #9 in a series there is a lot of "memory of adventures past", and the story seems to have much "sameness" to it. How many times do we need to know that Dale gets her feelings hurt when Brockley goes on an adventure with Ursula? Despite my complaints, I will probably keep reading. Go figure.
There was quite a bi
Margaret Sankey
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Eliabeth I's half-sister Ursula Blanchard is resting at home in the country, preparing for her daughter's wedding when there's a threatening message from Anne Percy, former countess of Northumberland, the conspirator defeated in the previous book in the midst of her plot to raise Northern Catholics against the crown. Percy seems to be the mastermind behind a series of events meant to discredit Ursula and her household in the area, culminating with a devastating charge of witchcraft. With interve ...more
Jane Bigelow
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This a wonderful series, and Queen's Bounty is a worthy addition to it. The historical detail is solid as ever; the plot is clever; I love Ursula Blanchard.

There's a remarkable balance in these books. I think it's the only time I have ever seen a witch hunter portrayed as a person with a conscience and rigorous intellectual honesty.

My only sorrow is that I'm now completely up to date on the series and will have to wait for the next one. Well, maybe I regret picking it up late at night. I shoul
Joanna
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
The sparkle of the earlier installments of this series is absent in this particular book. The characters have gotten older, which is to be expected, but most unfortunately they also seem to have become less introspective, observant, and intelligent overall. The introduction of new characters, essentially so that they can be killed off as plot line cannon fodder, is particularly strange and distressing. I love Ursula, but this is far from Blanchard's best work.
Lalla
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While this story is filled with all the familiar characters from previous novels in this series, Ursula is much the focus of the plot and not Queen Elizabeth. I enjoyed the description of wedding preparations and found some of them similar to ones we do now as well as some very different. The story is filled with drama, excitement, and insight into the beliefs of the common and upper class people of the times. The conclusion is exciting and satisfying of all readers.
Paula
I want to like this series and i have read them all so far but i am giving up. For some reason I have never connected with Ursula and I don't think I even like her. The books are kind of boring and I just don't care enough to continue. I feel bad about it though because I should like this series.
Carol
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
A continuation of a series that seems to be losing steam. Ursula ( the protagonist) once again finds herself stuck where she doesn't belong after her daughter 's wedding and so continues her usual machinations to get out of her dilemma. I hope the author returns to her previous form with more sleuthing and adventure or this could become a rather humdrum series.
Dena
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Elizabethan England could be a very dangerous place to live in if you were a strong, intelligent and capable female. Ms. Buckley provides a deep understanding of the time through this series. Ursula and cast are characters you are able to relate to no matter what century you live in.
Kate
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable historical novel in this well-researched and personable series.
Liz
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Gladys with that Olenna Tyrrell move at the end.
Susan Moore
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love these books. This one bogged down to the end but was well worth getting through.
Julie
Buckley kills off two characters in pretty horrifying circumstances and everyone just seems to think it's kind of a shame, shrug, and go on.
Becky

Oct 03, 2015
Loreta
Dec 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• One Fatal Flaw (Daniel Pitt #3)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • The Lost Castle (The Lost Castle, #1)
  • A Royal Affair (Sparks & Bainbridge Mystery #2)
  • The House at Mermaid's Cove
  • Rebuilding Home: A Whispering Pines Novel (Celia's Gifts Book 3)
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • A Forgotten Place (Bess Crawford, #10)
  • A Fatal Secret (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #4)
  • Murder At The Palace
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • The Jade Lady
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • The Last Curtain Call (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #8)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)

News & Interviews