Start by marking “S Is for Sunflower: A Kansas Alphabet” as Want to Read:
S Is for Sunflower: A Kansas Alphabet

S Is for Sunflower: A Kansas Alphabet

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Illustrated by Doug BowlesNicknamed the world's breadbasket, the contributions from the great state of Kansas reverberate far beyond its borders. Kansas has given us leaders in politics (Dwight D. Eisenhower), aviation (Amelia Earhart); and sports (Wilt Chamberlain); leads our nation in wheat production; and fuels our Hollywood image of the wild West (Dodge City). From A-Z ...more
Published June 23rd 2004 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about S Is for Sunflower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S Is for Sunflower

Maggie Kasparek
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because it's a great way to introduce the alphabet to young students, along with Kansas history. I really liked that each letter of the book had on important or interesting fact about Kansas which allows the students to learn more about the state that they live in. My personal reaction to this book was that it has some really interesting and very informative information within the book and that I would want to use this book in my future classroom someday.
Paige Claycamp
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book due to it being a very popular and well known book for its writing and illustrations. This book would be a great book to share with students on Kansas day. This books has a lot of very valuable information in it that you would have to share and explain to your students. There are great illustrations to go along with each page of new information. Highly recommend checking out this book.
Andrea L’Ecuyer
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230a
S is for Sunflower would be a great book to use in a classroom on Kansas Day. The book is based on Kansas places, events, and people through each letter of the alphabet. I hope to use this book in my future classroom as it has valuable information and would help students learn about the great state of Kansas.
Sarajo Mance
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
This is another brilliant book about Kansas. This would fit perfectly on Kansas day. I love how it doubles as an alphabet book and an informational book about the lovely state of Kansas. Just as in One Kansas Farmer, the margins contain more information about the topic on hand. If you live in Kansas, this is a much-needed book in the classroom!
Katlyn Kirkwood
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
I enjoyed reading this book. It would be read to a kindergarten- 1st grade classroom. I liked how it goes through the alphabet along with relating each letter to a common object, such as a sunflower.
MacKenzie Duncan
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
I loved this book! It is a great book that has awesome information about Kansas! It would be a good book to read to the class on Kansas Day as it talks about places, people, and events throughout Kansas! This is a book that I definitely plan on using in my future classroom.
Kate Urban
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
This is a cool alphabet book that I would love to use with kids learning Kansas history. It is also one of a series so any teacher would be able to use a similar book about their own state if they chose. It goes through important things about Kansas letter by letter, using alliteration and illustrations to connect important Kansas topics. This is so much more than just a history book or an alphabet book. It is a combination of the two and a very useful book, regardless of age.
Katie Ollenburger
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great alphabet book for any age of students. This book has all the letters of the alphabet with a fun fact or something about Kansas. This book is especially great to read around Kansas Day because it is all about Kansas. The illustrations are beautiful and the history behind all of these different places in Kansas. I think this is so creative, and a great idea that Devin Scillian created. My favorite page is in fact based on the title. Sunflowers are my favorite and I immediately ...more
Kimberlyn
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Title: "S is for Sunflower: A Kansas Alphabet"
Author: Devin and Corey Scillian
Illustrator: Doug Bowles
Publisher: Thompson Gale
Pub. Date: 2004

Genre: Alphabet Picture Book
Grades: K-6
Award: Bill Martin Jr. Picture Book Award

This book is a very well illustrated and informative book about Kansas that can be used for all ages. As this book goes through the alphabet, each letter represents things, people, places, and animals found in Kansas. For younger students, the book can be read with emphasis of t
Breanna Ebert
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
This book is great for displaying all of the amazing things around Kansas in the past and present. This allows kids to be able to learn the alphabet and even connect it to actual events or places. Especially for kids that live in Kansas they can gather information and learn more about their state. This is a great book for kids to learn the alphabet and learn about their own home.
Joanne G.
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Many alphabet books are targeted to babies old enough to sit just long enough to look at a few pictures illustrating some letters before they squirm and wiggle off the lap. S is for Sunflower is an alphabet book that can grow with a child. Babies can enjoy the attractive illustrations; toddlers will like the small poem that accompanies each letter of the alphabet; young readers can appreciate the few paragraphs of history and information on each page that tell interesting facts about Kansas. I r ...more
Katelyn McGlassson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I would use this book as an alphabet book and have the kids made one about their lives. I would use this in any level for grade. Any kid could take something away from this. i chose it because it is easily manipulated. It is a quick read.
Rachel
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Genre: Alphabet Book
Awards:
2006-2007 William Allen White Award Nominee
2006 Bill Martin Jr. Picture Book Award Winner

This is a great alphabet book with a ton of information about Kansas. Each letter of the alphabet has a short poem to go along with it as well as detailed information about facts about Kansas that start with that letter. For example, the "B" page tells all about the Bison and basketball (go KU!) and the "L" page tells of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Langston Hughes. At the very end
Julia
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kansas, book
This is a very good introduction book to Kansas whether it is with the people that have been influences to society, the creatures and/or plants that can be found, the history or the economies that have made the state as it is. Will be a good educational book to those wanting to learn more on the state itself.

Each part of the letter mentioned has a small (about four sentences) introduction that highlights what is important to Kansas for the letter and then on the side a few more longer paragrap
Erin Feller
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
personal reflection:
I love this book! It's perfect for an Kansas native or anyone learning facts about the sunflower state. I work at the boys and girls club where I lead a kids literature program, I read this book to the kids last week and they loved it! Kids can relate to the towns they talk about in the book as well as the first letter of their name.

Purpose:
Read-aloud to K through 3. This fun alphabet book conveys the true spirit of Kansas with beautiful illustrations.

Curriculum:
-read al
Maddie Gerber
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I picked this book out because I was born and raised in Kansas and the sunflowers on the front cover were pretty. What I really liked about this book was it taught about the alphabet, but it also had factual information about Kansas. This would be good to read on Kansas day or to teach new students about Kansas. I definitely want this book in my classroom, especially sense I plan to stay in Kansas.
Elizabeth Wagner
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is so neat for information on Kansas! I love its vivid and detailed illustrations! This is something my grandparents read to me often so it has a special place in my heart. I like the way it goes through the alphabet and is specific to the special things of Kansas. Would be a great Kansas day book!
Courtney Leive
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this book and how it teaches the kids the correct sequence of the alphabet. I also liked how it can teach the students about things that Kansas is known for. This helps with the concept of states and learning new things about the states. Great book for many reasons, it also goes into more details on the pages about the history of Kansas. Great book!
Tressa Sands
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were beautiful! I liked that it served the purpose of teaching the alphabet, along with cities and attractions in the state of Kansas. It's very educational, but I would only use it with upper elementary students. I feel like it requires too much attention for younger kids.
Roxanne
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a children's book about my newly adopted state Kansas. We are the world,s breadbasket, Dwight D. Eisenhower was from here, and also Amelia Earhart, and Wilt Chamberlain. We lead the nation in wheat production. and we have the famous town Dodge City. There is a lot of facts and history in this A-Z children's book.
Madi
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
S Is for Sunflower: A Kansas Alphabet is one of the best alphabet books that I have read. I love how they incorporated interested things about Kansas with each letter. Alphabet books are a necessity in the classroom, especially ones that have additional information. It also helps that Sunflowers are my favorite flower, so I enjoyed this book a lot.
Emily
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this book! I think it would be a great book to read to classes on Kansas Day. It has so much interesting information and history about the entire state. I think children could easily relate and will want to learn more because it is based on their native state/state that they're used to hearing about.
Tabatha Weaver
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
The Book S is for Sunflower I rated 3 stars because it is an alphabet book but not my favorite. The thing I do like about his book is the neat pictures and interested facts. This book is about Kansas using the alphabet. S for sunflower represents Kansas's state flower and so forth.
Rebecca Hochman
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book would be good for someone who lives in Kansas. If I teach in a Kansas school I would use this book. The illustration is vivid and captivating. It tells about people and places in Kansas. Very good to use with children to get to know this state.
Jarron Ogles
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
S is for Sunflower , a wonderful book that explores the history and tradition in the state of Kansas. Not only does the book speak of the great tradition, but also gives great examples with the amazing illustrations through out the book. I enjoyed reading this book learning more about my state.
Holly Wright
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
This is a really neat alphabet book. In addition to introducing the alphabet to students, it provides a lot of new knowledge about the state of Kansas. This would be a fun book to use to learn about Kansas history, rather than just using it to learn letters of the alphabet.
PWRL
Jun 25, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Samantha Inscore
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230, el-312
This is a fun alphabet book that teaches you all about Kansas and it's fascinating history. This would be so much fun to read and discuss around Kansas Day.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
pictures, history, facts, information and ideals about kansas