Start by marking “Redemption (Joe Burgess, #3)” as Want to Read:
Redemption (Joe Burgess, #3)

Redemption

(Joe Burgess #3)

Burgess's hopes for a calm Columbus Day picnic slam up against reality when two boys spot a dead body in the water.

It's Reggie the Can Man-a damaged, alcoholic veteran who Burgess has tried to patch back together since they returned from Vietnam. Now, Reggie's fight for redemption is over.

Then the ME questions Reggie's accidental drowning, giving Burgess one last chance.

As
Published February 15th 2012 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption

Start your review of Redemption (Joe Burgess, #3)
Carol
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I loved this! Detective Sergeant Joe Burgess is a man of a certain age; he fought in Vietnam with a comrade who never really recovered and lives off and on the street. He's known as Reggie the can-man because he collected bottles & cans. Somebody murders him. The story, as always in this series, is set against the backdrop of Portland, Maine, a coastal city. This third outing is the best one so far. I was riveted and turning the pages faster and faster, as Joe looks for Reggie's murderer. ...more
Brenda Scott
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Redemption is Kate Flora’s third Joe Burgess Mystery and, after reading this installment, I’m excited to read books one and two! Set against the backdrop of Portland, Maine’s coastline, the book touches upon the privileged upper class and the lack of apathy the public, and even some of the authorities, have for the homeless in this fast-paced, gritty crime drama. Not to worry though, main character, Detective Sergeant Joe Burgess, a lovable, big-hearted, by-the-book cop with a fierce loyalty to ...more
Susan Andres
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from the library mainly because it's set in Portland, Maine, only 50 miles from where I grew up, and it received good reviews. I didn't expect to like it; I didn't even expect to finish it. But it pulled me in quickly and I had to keep reading. The mystery is intriguing, and the characters are interesting and unpredictable for the most part. I did take exception to Star Goodall - if Flora wants us to believe Star is a Wiccan, then Flora knows nothing about Wicca. Beyond that ...more
Sherri Vigil
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first Flora book. I really liked it and the story was so realistic to our times. Our judgements by sight only, will probably be in our society forever but Flora addressed it so well. I will read more of her books.
William
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific series; I am reading them in order, and this may be the best so far.

There are a lot of police procedurals out there, and Flora does it as well as anyone, and perhaps better. In all of them policemen complain, but this is probably accurate and fair. To me, though, Flora has a less whiny tone, and the complaints are what seems a realistic portrayal of a tough line of work. The precinct group are well etched, with distinct personalities, and the bonds between them are strong and
John E. Donovan
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Police procedural par excellence!

This is the second book by author Kate Flora that I've read (her Joe Burgess Mystery, Book 5 " Led Astray" is, also, a 5-Star read) and I can't say enough about just how good these books are! Not only has author Kate Flora created a wonderful protagonist in the form of Detective Sergeant Joe Burgess, but she has given "life" to all of the other characters, as well ... to the point where it is impossible not to get caught up in the drama that befalls all of them.
Jaimie Bruzenak
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second Kate Flora book I've read. I happened across a review of her latest book while spending time in Maine and found a couple of her earlier Joe Burgess books at a local indie bookstore and a thrift store. Very much how dogged police work pays off. The emotional connection to the victim, "Reggie the Can Man," was a driving force since he and Reggie were high school classmates and fought in Vietnam together. Joe was able to get his life together while Reggie, who had a heart of gold ...more
Crystal Toller
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This third edition in the Joe Burgess series involves Joe's friend from Portland who served with him in Vietnam. This book was chilling because of the evil of Reggie's ex-wife. A truly hard story to read because I personally know a Vietnam Vet who is mentally ill so this really hit me on a personal level. How Joe discovers who killed Reggie and what happens make a good read though. Very few errors and really interesting characters, even the evil ones. Highly recommend this book and the series.
Ellen White
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the character of Joe Burgess , this plot was written so well showing his emotion for this man, who had been a friend, in the service, and then-homeless. His love was deep, his pocket to buy things to help Reggie with the cold that bothered him..As Joe says if they had a strong clean soul, or a jar of happiness for Reggie he would gladly bought those as well.
This touches him, he misses Chris. The team is great, the procedural draws you in. Glad there is more books
Kathryne
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3 3/4 stars- great reading, nothing fancy or intellectual, just very entertains and fun, if you like detectives, murder, humor and flashes of extraordinary kindness.
Richard
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a continuation of the Joe Burgess series book #3! Joe is a Portland Maine police detective and he is caught up on a case he is working that involves a homeless persons murder.
John Fossett
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great Joe Burgess mystery.
Barb
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well written police story.
Diane Heath
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Book 2 in this series is "on order" at the library. This was even better than Playing God. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
John Clark
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Almost everyone who grew up during the Vietnam War era knows or knew a Reggie. Heck, some of us may have even been on the cusp of becoming one. In Kate Flora's third Joe Burgess police procedural, Redemption, Joe and Reggie Libby were high school buddies and played football on the same high school team. They even went to Vietnam together and Joe pulled Reggie through a hellish night of blood, mud and fire after he had been wounded.
Years later, Joe and Reggie's brother Clay have been on a perpetu
Suspense Magazine
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Redemption,” the third in the Joe Burgess mystery series by author Kate Flora, is one of her very best so far, which is saying a lot. Flora is also the author of seven Thea Kozak mysteries, a suspense thriller, and true crime book, “Finding Amy,” which has been filmed for TV and is being considered for a movie. Quite an impressive list of credits for Flora, who divides her time between Maine and Massachusetts and also teaches writing for Grub Street in Boston.
In “Redemption,” Portland, Maine de
Byron Hill
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Det. Joe Burgess series. After looking up this author, as I wanted a novel centered in Maine and Kate Flora's name popped up I found a "Detective series" that matched my location intent and this was a bonus. She does a very good job, helping the reader to get involved with the detective, Joe Burgess, and the other detectives as well that he works out cases with him. Very good!!
Sara
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Another good Joe Burgess novel. The Angel of Knowlton Park is still my favorite in the series, but this one was good as well. Dad was right - there is a plot twist about 3/4 the way through the book that makes you eager for a fourth novel in the series.

My favorite quote from the book, "Bring coffee and some paqinkillers, would you? I'm a little bit shot."
Candace
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Flora keeps her readers twisting in the wind as her main character, Joe Burgess, shifts through more unanswered questions than answers. In the novel Redemption there are not too many places for the reader to catch his or her breathe. This book is well worth the winding race to the end.
Susan Leary
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good effort from Flora. Her prose is a bit repetitive at times and a little flowery, but the strength of her characters make up for it. Her use of Maine local is authentic and correct and adds atmosphere to the story. Good job, Kate.
Barb
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have read all three Joe Burgess books and this one is the best yet. I enjoy the Portland, Maine setting and the mystery is not clear until the very end. Insight as to what a cop's life must be like - crazy!
Michelle Cox lefay
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am really starting to like these books. Kate Flora really seems to portray the police, homocide, and underbelly of Portland quite realistically. A breath of fresh air in the crime/fiction genre. I will definitely read the next Joe Burgess book. Starting to like the big grump.
Cardyn Brooks
Redemption is a beautifully written, exquisitely nuanced social commentary packaged in an intricate mystery.

[minor proofreading oversight incorrect/correct on pg.140: palate/palette of golds and plums...]

Eileen
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book, lots of different mysteries involved in the main crime. I enjoyed it, just wish it
was not such a long book (almost 400 pages). Plan to read more of this authors books.
Wendy
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Number three in the Joe Burgess series.
Jim Graham
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Stereotypes.
Ellyn
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Another good story, the third, in the Sergeant Joe Burgess police procedural series, showing how difficult it is for a detective to have a normal personal life.
Eliece
Jan 29, 2016
Charlene
Jan 14, 2017
Anne Barton
Oct 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Beneath the Depths (Detective Byron, #2)
  • Among The Shadows (Detective Byron, #1)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6, Will Robie, #5.5)
  • Texas Outlaw (Rory Yates #2)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Hit List (Stone Barrington, #53)
  • Revenge in the Keys (Florida Keys Adventure #3)
  • Corruption in the Keys (Florida Keys Adventure #6)
  • The Enigma Cube
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Pursuit of Happiness: From Heels to Wheels
  • Deadly Web (Glenmore Park Mystery, #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan, #19)
  • Journey of the Pharaohs (NUMA Files, #17)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
Kate Flora grew up on a chicken farm in Maine where the Friday afternoon trip to the library was the high point of her week. She dreamed of being able to create the kind of compelling, enchanting worlds of the books she disappeared into every week, but growing up in the era when “help wanted” ads were still sex-segregated, she felt her calling was to go to law school and get the job they told her ...more

Joe Burgess (5 books)
  • Playing God (Joe Burgess, #1)
  • The Angel of Knowlton Park (Joe Burgess, #2)
  • And Grant You Peace (Joe Burgess, #4)
  • Led Astray (Joe Burgess, #5)