Start by marking “The Academy Defenders” as Want to Read:
The Academy Defenders

The Academy Defenders

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Lincoln Thomas thought he was a perfectly normal twelve-year-old until the night he slowed time to save his mom from a super-powered assassin. He learns he and his parents are part of a secret society known as the Guardians, real-life superheroes sworn to protect the world 's most important people. As the newest Guardian in the family, Lincoln is sent to the Atlas Academy ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Rhemalda Publishing (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Academy Defenders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Academy Defenders

Katie Robinson
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced readers copy of this book awhile ago and I enjoyed it a lot. This middle grade book is different because it incorporates the fantasy and spy thriller genres. It was really unique. It was a fun easy read and I can't wait to see the finished product in June.
Molly Robinson
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Since the author happens to be my husband, I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of the book:) I might be biased, but I have to say I loved it! I can't wait for the sequel and for others to get a chance to read it.
Katy
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of coming-of-age adventure fantasies
Recommended to Katy by: Rhemalda Publishing
Book Info: Genre: Fantasy Reading Level: Young Adult

Disclosure: I received a free ebook ARC from Rhemalda (the publishers) in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Lincoln Thomas is a typical teenager … or at least, he used to be. But then one day he awoke with the power to slow time, stop bullets mid-flight and turn his enemies into human popsicles. Now he’s a recruit at the Atlas Academy – a top-secret government training facility – learning to use his new powers to become a guardian and pr
Amy
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, 2013
I sat down to read this book and literally couldn't put it down until I had finished it. I would highly recommend it for kids and adults! It has all the elements of a good book: kids at school with a super power twist, quick and engaging action and a battle between good and evil. It has echoes of Harry Potter, Sky High, Percy Jackson, etc but the author manages to create his own wholly unique setting, powers, and heros. Fans of those books and movies will certainly like this one. One aspect I re ...more
Tiana
May 09, 2012 added it
Shelves: asked-to-review
There was a definite Percy Jackson vibe to this book, so I can see it appealing to a similar audience.

Where the author excells is in his action writing. There's always something happening and it was intriguing to see the various characters interact.

About 3/4 of the way through the book, there is a point of view change. This might seem like it'd be kind of late to change POVs, but I thought it worked well. Also, there was one part at the end where I was genuinely surprised (view spoiler)
Katie
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i really really enjoyed this book!

the reading level was below what i was thinking. i originally thought it was going to be a percy jackson/early harry potter reading level but i think it was actually quite below that. but i still really enjoyed it.

the book follows the typical popular story line right now of an average kid gets side lined by some crazy family drama, discovering some hidden ability then gets shipped off to a special school for others with this special ability. the abilities in thi
Scott
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Academy Defenders tells the story of Lincoln Thomas, a 12 year old who just doesn't quite fit in. After getting into a fight at school he is sitting in the office when news comes that he has a family emergency and must go home immediately. Receiving the news that his grandfather has passed away begins his journey into a world that he can barely believe is possible.

His mother takes him into a secret room in their house and reveals that his family is part of the group known as the Guardians.
Shanella
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
When I first started reading T.J. Robinson’s book, I found myself comparing it a lot to Harry Potter - there is a secret school, different houses, a story about the founders, evil in unexpected places and special powers. However, The Academy Defenders does stand out on its own.

The Atlas Academy is a special school for kids with powers, who are trained to become Guardians - people who protect powerful men and women in the world. Lincoln comes into his powers at age twelve when he and his mother
Fiona
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5
I got this through a Goodreads giveaway.
---
First things first- the moment I saw the cover, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read it. It's not a really attractive cover, in my opinion.

I'm glad I read this book though, since I liked it more than I thought I would. The beginning seemed really fast-paced and sudden, kind of like a let's-get-to-the-action sort of thing. (Maybe it was to mimic what it would really be like to have your world changed in an instant, but still...)

Everything
Scott Pagel
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good story once I stopped my own negativity because it was so similar to Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. If the reader hasn't read those series before picking this up, they'll like it without experiencing the hang-ups I had with it. I'll be sure and read the next book in the series. I went from thinking I'd give this book just 1 star... through 2 stars... and then up the the 3 I finally gave it. It really grew on me and it ended strong.

This book desperately needs better cover art. I l
Nelson Bell
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The academy defenders was a really awesome book. It had lots of action, friendship, and lots of sadness. The book started with a teenager who had lost his brother in a fire and lost his grandpa from drowning in a pool. Lincoln starts knowing the truth about his parents and knows about his powers. since he know about his powers he goes to an academy full of people who have super powers an learns his training there.The training there was hard but he improved. Then somebody raided the academy and L ...more
Brad J
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing average about Lincoln Thomas, nor is there anything average about "The Academy Defenders." With brilliant writing appealing to all audiences, T.J. delivers the first book of the best series since Harry Potter. Join Lincoln as he fights to solve the mystery behind his grandfather's death and how it connects to the threat on the academy where Lincoln is training to be a Guardian. Pick it up, and you won't be able to put it down. At least I couldn't....
Shannon
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty enjoyable read. The beginning of the book was a bit fast for me, but for the middle school kids,it was perfectly paced. My 10 yr old and I had a blast reading it together. We will def be purchasing any sequels since the ending rocked.
Elizabeth
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
DO YOU HAVE A SECOND BOOK?!
Lindsey Stratton
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to read this book! I'm a big reader and this one sounds like a page turner.
BookLoversLife
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really liked it! Lots of action :) Cant wait for book 2.
Ken
Wendy
Oct 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Slack Tide
  • Aliens Are Real, Part 1 (Energy, #1)
  • Broken
  • Perigee Moon
  • Alight: The Peril (Pyxis, #2)
  • The Hour of Dreams (The Pace #4)
  • Pure Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #3)
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 8 (Wild Ones, #8)
  • Darkest Day (The 19th Year, #3)
  • Defy (Firstborn Trilogy, #1)
  • Be Careful What You Wish For (The HellandBack Kids, #1)
  • Beginnings (The Guardians of Vesturon 0.5)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 05
  • Before You Go
  • Gifted (Donovan Circus, #1)
  • Ghost Stories of 17th Century China from Po Chung-Ling's Liu Tzai Pavilion : Vol. One
  • Dust (Ember, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
  • Been Here All Along