Start by marking “Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)” as Want to Read:
Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)

Elfhome (Elfhome #3)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  2,147 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA has been magically transported to a world of elves and magic in order to stave off a monstrous invasion of Earth. Now Tinker, once a downtrodden waif from that city, but now a full-blooded elf ruler, must root out and destroy an evil plot that involves the kidnapping and breeding of elf children.

Tinker uncovers ancient secrets and a web of betrayal as she se
ebook, 1st Edition, 376 pages
Published July 1st 2012 by Baen

Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

Its been a long time since I read either Tinker or Wolf Who Rules but when I got into Elfhome I had no problem engaging in their world again.
I really enjoyed Elfhome and the focus on Oilcan, Tommy and some members of the human, half-Oni and Elf community on the edges of Tinker's realm.

There was a lot going on in this book. I think Spencer did a good job on the character development and continued worldbuilding.

However, it felt a bit unfinished to me. A lot of threads were lef
Chris
Another one I basically read in a single sitting and will be rereading! (I really hate the cover, though.)
Beth
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After multiple re-reading of the series - I think this is my 2nd favorite - followed closely by Woodsprites.
You get to see the overall plot arc from different character pov- not just Tinker or Windwolf. Really shows the depth of the world building & evolution of the characters.
Last read June 27 2016
Oct 9 2015
May 05/14
Tammicco
I’m torn about the third book in the ‘Elfhome’ series. I purchased the ebook ARC from Baen, because I couldn’t wait another day to reacquaint myself with Tinker’s world. I’m not disappointed at all, but I do feel a little melancholy. This entry in the series marks a serious turning point underscoring the fact that this is no longer Tinker’s tale. ‘Tinker’ is told solely from the heroine’s perspective, whereas in ‘Wolf Who Rules Wind’ perspective is split almost equally between Wind Wolf and Tink ...more
Michael
My main problem with this book is that I'd really like to be reading a sequel to A Brother's Price, and I'm not. I enjoy the Tinker novels, and I think Spencer's done a really nice job at writing up a world which mixes a variety of mythic traditions without necessarily stomping on any of them too hard (though the Oni are a bit too close to a literal Yellow Peril for my taste). And, though it very well could, it doesn't feel like a Borderlands rip-off, something for which I'm grateful.

The preview
Samantha Tolleson
I was just in such a sour mood today that I didn't enjoy so much, but the plot was really well thought out...
 photo sad-gifs-gif_zpsadonwkob.gif
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Elfhome is another great journey in the world Wen Spencer has created. This is the third book in the series and can be read as a standalone but I recommend reading Tinker and Wolf Who Rules first.

There is so much in Elfhome it is hard to know where to start so I will just pick a place.

Plot: Pittsburgh, which had been the gateway between Earth and Elfhome is now stranded on Elfhome. The gate between the two worlds was destroyed and has not been re-opened. There is more that one race around Pitts
Dan
The books in this series are each better than those before them, this would get 6 stars, if that were possible.
Margaret Fisk
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Wen Spencer is not a very prolific writer, but it’s worth the wait. Elfhome is the third in the Tinker series centered around a Pittsburgh that has come unhooked from our Earth and spends its time transplanted into the elf world, at least by this point in the series. If you haven’t read the first two books, Tinker and Wolf Who Rules, there’s a complex history, both of the characters and of the worlds that is referenced in Elfhome based somewhat on what occurred in the previous two, so if that wo ...more
Lady Lioness
Oi. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one yet. While the official release isn't until July, Baen had the brilliant idea to sell the unproofed (and hopefully unedited as well) manuscript as an e-ARC at $15 a pop. I don't know if I'd precisely say it's worth it, but if you divide the 15 by the 6 months you would otherwise have to wait, it works about to $2.50 a month. A very reasonable expense for your rabid Wen Spencer fanperson. A note of caution, though, it's definitely a rough draft. ...more
Dee
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars with distinction!!!

OMG!!!!!! My series reread reaches my favourite volume. The star of this entry has to be Oilcan. Oilcan is a mega god in this book. The worldbuilding is still at premium best but we now get politics! The clans are moribund and insular, the politics deadly and devious - just the way I like 'em! We spread out further still from Tinker with glimpses into not just her POV but Windwolf, Oilcan and Tommy Chang. This is an excellent reflection on the series growth as a whole
Kathy Leitle
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating for this book is really a 3.5. Because the author's worlds are very complex, a summary of the important points from the previous books or a glossary with explanations of the main characters and some of the elven/tengu/oni terms would have really helped. I have read several thousand books since "Wolf Who Rules" came out in 2006 and I just don't remember the intricacies of this world, but the story assumes that I do. This lack of background cues kept pulling me out of the story. I ended ...more
Sarah C
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still want more Tinker! Again, Wen Spencer takes some very disparate elements and weaves them into an interesting and unexpected journey. As the third book, i expected to know sortof where the story was going, sure, there were several groups at odds and that needed to be resolved but i found myself questioning ... where is this story going?

Spencer always has the ability to surprise me. I love it. So often i read books that follow the same paths as many others in the genre. Its nice to not kno
Julia
The third book in a urban fantasy series the first were Tinker and Wolf Who Rules. Some series, it doesn't matter the order the books are read in. That's not true here. The earlier books were primarily about Tinker.

Oilcan, Tinker’s cousin, has always been backstory in these books, but in this one, he tells his own story too, as does Tommy, the half- oni. Tommy and his relations have been nothing but slaves, but Tommy wants more and he becomes a Hero. Oilcan adopts some kids and finds a new place
Jai
I've looked forward to this book since I read the first book in the series and fell in love with the main character, a girl genius named Tinker.

This third book in the series (and please, God, let there be more) follows Tinker's cousin/brother Oilcan as he gets over losing his human cousin to the elves and figures out what to do with his life if he's not following Tinker around while she invents new motorcycles that fly and blows other stuff up.

It's a massive tale wrapped up in beautifully clean
Li
I’m a fan of Wen Spencer, ever since I glommed her Ukiah Oregon series way back when, but I haven’t read any of her books for a long time. ELFHOME is the third book in her Tinker series – here’s where I admit I thought I had read the second book, but realised probably about a quarter of the way through ELFHOME that I hadn’t. Ooops. By that time, I was too engrossed in the story that I didn’t want to put it down and find the second book, which probably gives you quite a good indication that Wen S ...more
Carolyn F.
Okay 3 things I realized about the cover illustrator Clyde Caldwell. Firstly, he loves boobies. Secondly, he didn't read the book because Tinker is 18. Which leads to my third point, the woman on the cover is no where near 18 - probably late 30s - and Clyde must be in love with her to put her on the cover even though she much older than Tinker.

I love this series. I can't remember who first turned me on to it, but it's just wonderful. Elves have found a home in a Pittsburg that's actually part o
Adina
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elfhome is the third installment in the Elfhome series following Tinker and Wolf Who Rules. It continues the adventures of our intrepid girl genius turned elf Tinker. Whilst the previous two books almost entirely followed Tinker, here the story is divided between Tinker and two additional characters, the half-oni Tommy Chang and Tinkers cousin Oilcan.

Tinker is as usual amusing, amazing and bullish. But this is Oilcan's story really. Tinker was always the cornerstone of his life, but her elf tran
AggieBookLover
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Got the eARC from Baen.(Yay don't have to wait for July)
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!(Except for the cover - ugh).
I loved that the story focused on several characters and not just a few.
It has been a while since I read Tinker and Wolf Who Rules so it took me a while to remember some of the details. I may have to go back and re-read them all in order now to more fully appreciate the book.
I sure hope there's going to be more books but I hope we don't have to wait another 6 years for the next one.

Lillian
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are too many characters too keep track of, so the subplots don't dovetail smoothly at the climax. This was a real disappointment because I loved Tinker and Wolf Who Rules. Oilcan gets to shine, which is nice, but Pony doesn't do much other than calm Tinker down every time she gets angry, which is a lot. There's so much more potential in this series I hope to see more books, but I also hope they will live up to the original promise.
Sarahz
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, is that an embarrassing cover - I wish they'd get a different artist. Aside from that though, this was an enjoyable continuation of the series. I feel like this is maybe not the world's best series, but it's fast paced and pulpy and I really enjoy it, so whatever :) I had fun seeing what's happening with the characters I already know, and I liked how they expanded the world by introducing the inter-clan dynamics.

I'll definitely pick this up when it's in paperback.
Beth
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was wonderful. (The ARC is available on the baen.com site).

The hanging threads from Wolf Who Rules are tightened up & tied off. But a new set of plot points are flying off to the ends of the earth.

The focus of the story is shared between Tinker, Oilcan, Tommy & the Tengu. The book is well worth the wait -- and I certainly hope the beginning of more!
Brandi
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

What a great addition to this series. I can't wait to read the next book. The author does a wonderful job creating a new world with amazing characters and creatures. The plot is always action packed and interesting. I couldn't put this book down. I definitely recommend this book and the series.
ms bookjunkie
Dragons, elves, magic, science, children, tengu, half-oni, war, chemistry, physics, change, betrayal, culture, heredity, heroism, family, knights of the round table. This book made me incredibly happy.
JPT
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L Bongiorno
I loved it! This series just keeps getting better, I am so hooked:)
Olga Godim
This is the book #3 of the series, and to my disappointment, the first 50 pages or so are spent in reintroducing the characters from the previous two novels. Nothing much happens in the first third of the book, and even the reintroductions are not complete. If I read this book without reading the other two first, I’d still don’t know who the characters were or how they looked. What were their relationships with other characters? Whom they liked? Whom they hated? What were their goals? Most chara ...more
Elizabeth
Elfhome is the third book in Wen Spencer’s Tinker series and after such a long wait it was like feeding an addiction I had forgotten I had. I loved everything about this book except for the fact that I’m now done and will probably have to wait years again for the next installment. Frankly I’d be happy to read anything by Wen Spencer in any of her worlds. She is a master of world building and her characters are always woven to be unique and believable given their circumstances.
In this story she h
heidi
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay! Would lose sleep over again! Also, the best part of reading ebooks is never having to look at the cover again. I seriously have no idea what is going on with that hot mess they put on the front of the book.

Each of the Elfhome books has had a different focal character. In this one, we learn how much of Tinker's protective, generous personality is shared with her cousin Oilcan. Oilcan ends up upsetting the applecart of clan alliances because he really doesn't care who people were born to, jus
Anita
This is book 3 in the Tinker series, which is an amazing mash up of a bunch of areas I like: contemporary fantasy, sci fi, mystery, romance, and fairytale. It's wonderfully written with great characters and very intricate plots. My only complaint about this series is the wait between books. Tinker - 2003, Wolf Who Rules - 2006, Elfhome - 2012. There's plenty of room at the end of Elfhome for at least one more book, so I will be anxiously awaiting it.

It took me quite a while to remember the impor
  • Carousel Tides (Archers Beach, #1)
  • Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)
  • The Silvered
  • The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)
  • Herb-Wife (Lord Alchemist Duology, #2)
  • Cast in Peril (Chronicles of Elantra, #8)
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)
  • Firebrand
  • Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances, #2)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Noah's Boy (Shifters #3)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Medair (Medair, #1-2)
John W. Campbell Award Winner Wen Spencer resides in paradise in Hilo, Hawaii with two volcanoes overlooking her home. Spencer says that she often wakes up and exclaims "Oh my god, I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific!" This, says Spencer, is a far cry from her twenty years of living in land-locked Pittsburgh.

The Elfhome series opener, Tinker, won the 2003 Sapphire Award for Best Scien
More about Wen Spencer...

Elfhome (5 books)
  • Tinker (Elfhome, #1)
  • Wolf Who Rules (Elfhome, #2)
  • Wood Sprites (Elfhome, #4)
  • Harbinger (Elfhome #5)
“Slavery, no matter who was the master, held unknown terrors of helplessness.” 2 likes
“So, it’s like calling out for Chinese? An order of Sum Yung Gai with wings?” 2 likes