Start by marking “My First Ghost” as Want to Read:
My First Ghost

My First Ghost

This book comes with a free ghost But, like any pet, ghosts need special care and attention. A playful riff on "My First Pet" books, My First Ghost teaches kids everything they need to know about taking care of their very own ghost. Debut picture book authors Miller and Leviton offer humorous tips on feeding, grooming, and ghostly games which are complemented by charming i ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about My First Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Ghost

Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
"This book comes with a free ghost inside. Your ghost is between the next two pages. WARNING: A ghost is a big responsibility. Are you sure you want a ghost friend of your very own? If not, CLOSE THIS BOOK NOW. To claim your ghost, just turn the page." You turn the page to a double spread illustration of a friendly ghost with the text "CONGRATULATIONS! Your house is now officially haunted." The humor goes on from there. This owner's guide to a first ghost made me laugh aloud several times, and I ...more
Nicole Woolwine
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5
2012
Ghost story, children’s literature
Pre-k - 3rd
This book was very unique in how they told the story! They made the outlook on ghosts be fun and interactive to any child’s life as if they did have a ghost friend!
The pictures went greatly with the story line and I enjoyed how corny the book was! I read it aloud to a preschool class and they loved how I changed voices and really free them into the spooky aspects of the book
Kate Matheis
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches kids about "ghosts" and how to take care of them. It treats "ghosts" as you would an imaginary friend. This story was very cute. Students would enjoy imagining up their own imaginary friends.
Rainey
I absolutely love this. Perfect for the kid in your family who has a big imagination!
Emily Petering
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute, fun book about a kid with a pet ghost. It's filled with humor, friendship, and imagination. The author used very expressive language that allows the reader to really understand the message the author was trying to convey, all while continuing to be very fun and captivating. It was a very easy-to-read book that didn't take any effort to get through. If I could describe the illustrations in any way, it would be like the cartoon The Jetsons. The illustrator used that same type ...more
Dolly
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, monsters, childrens
This is a fun story about what to expect from your own ghost. The narrative is amusing and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. Our girls were sure that the "free ghost inside" would be somehow missing because we were reading the library's copy of the book, but they chuckled when they saw the ghost.

Overall, this is an entertaining book to read aloud with children. It's not scary in the slightest, but might bring up interesting questions regarding the existance of ghosts and having one
Mary Anne
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very thorough instructions for the care and keeping of your very own Ghost! With a little thoughtfulness and attention to the simple suggestions in this book, any child could have a happy and healthy life-long haunting with their very own ghost!

Rachel would have loved this one when she was little. It would have been too scary for Nevin when he was little.
Miss Sarah
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
By opening the book the reader gets a ghost friend and the narrator spend the rest of the book describing the habits of ghosts and how to take care of them. Cute but older humor so preschool and up.
Rosa
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very cute story of what life is like when you have a ghost. Definitely feels like this would inspire lots of imaginary friends. It was also very funny, loved how different things were rationalized to mean you had a ghost.
Naomi
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was a cute story, but nothing much more than that. Yes, I get that it is a kid's book, but it was just a whole lot of fluff to me. I love kids books that teach a moral or lesson. This one just didn't do it for me.
Viv
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can see myself being a little kid reading this book and get spooked but also wish I have a ghost friend. The illustrations are cute and fun. Definitely something I would read to kids during Halloween time!
Daniel
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-4-5, 1-2
fun to read during the holloween season.
this book represents ghost as children's pet.
i think this book is very creative.
this book shows some good fun ideas about the ghost.
GHOST FRIENDLY.
this book can be helpful to the students who has phobia over the ghost
Ryan
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I Loved this book. I could see my nephew having so much fun with it. Once you let your ghost out, this book is your child's manuel on how to take care of their new friend. Plus I learned why I always sneeze 3 times in a row.
Steph
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I LOVE the first page, and I love the "when you get the hiccups, it means your ghost is tickling you" section. Cute idea.

The books ends too cheesily... I wish it had been creative and memorable like the beginning. Not a huge fan of the illustrations, either. Still cute overall. :)
Edward Sullivan
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The care and feeding (or not) of your new ghost
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: monsters
Adorable! Would be perfect to share with primary grade students, especially with Halloween coming up--or buy it as gift for Halloween.
Kelly Rae
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Might be a new addition to my monster storytime!
PWRL
Apr 23, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Ashley Brooke
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! Love the illustrations and love the theme!
Kristina Jean Lareau
This instruction manual for owning a ghost is a fun and engagind read aloud.
Linda Atkinson
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh what fun! Great for 4-8yrs.
Yolanda
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adorable book. Loved it. Will be great to read with the kids and make their own ghost.
Paula
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Provides the reader with a ghost of his or her own, as well as instructions for feeding, caring for, and playing with this spectral friend.
Stacia Leigh
Funny and clever. Love the illustrations and the story doesn't disappoint. It's very original.
Brindi Michele
love this book! so fun! (not technically holiday, but listing because it would be fun to do around Halloween with an older audience)

fits pets theme too
Mandy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Are you ready for the responsibility of taking care of your very own ghost? Open the pages of this book to find out!
Sue
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
very fun (and informational)
Especially nice to get the free ghost inside
Heather Jo
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Kendra
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, ghosts
So THAT's why I sneeze 3 times in a row?! Tee hee, this is a super cute book.
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun picture book to read aloud