Start by marking “Sugarland” as Want to Read:

3.13  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
As children, Kit and Kiki Smithers performed as the Sugar Babes, but those glory days are long gone. All that remains are the blues the sisters sing as they cope with withering marriages, cheating spouses, lost opportunities, and the demands of motherhood.

Sugar Land is a verdant novel about the healing power of forgiveness, the seemingly impossible task of loving, the resi
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sugarland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugarland

Lory
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
i've no explanation for why i loved this book so. funny, pathetic, lurid, engaging. it's all there from the double-wide to the baby-daddy dilemma to the wife-beater and the Swedish Lothario. oddly endearing, and exceptionally well-written by an author who doesn't think so much of herself that she can't turn out a read like this. oh the jewels one can find on the "top 100 free" list!
WriteIntoPrint.com
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sugarland by Joni Rodgers exemplifies exactly what I'm looking for in a novel from any genre - and yes, you've guessed, I'm not discussing the plot but I am urging you to buy and read it, even if you're an octogenarian named Cyril who has never read anything but Ian Fleming.

HeavyReader
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I wrote the following review for the Spring 1999 MSRRT Newsletter:

It isn't often that the same book can make me break down in sobs and burst into raucous laughter. Sugar Land brought out both of these intense emotions.

This story of two adult sisters dealing with marriage, motherhood, and cheatin' hearts is a long way from my single woman reality, but after reading only a few pages, I felt invested in their lives. As with the best novels, this one has vivid, well-developed characters complete wi
Laurie
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book--it was much better--deeper, more literary, more metaphorical--than I was expecting.
Karen
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
How sad lives can become when people fail to communicate.
Amie McCracken
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
What an excellent glimpse into mundane lives. What an incredible commentary on deep topics. It's not something I thought I would love, but oh how I did.
Cornelia
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pg-110
This modern retelling of the Psyche and Eros myth, is also a realistic look at the life of two sisters. Both were local celebrities (child stars) in Sugarland Texas, a town outside of Houston. When the story begins, both sisters are now housewives, still living in Sugarland. Their marriages are not what they use to be. Though they have very different difficulties in their marriages, both of their marriages are stifling them at this point and they don’t know what to do about it. This is a story o ...more
Jennifer W
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman who thinks "if only"
Shelves: fun-reads
This was one of the better books I've read of late. One of the reviews on the back compares it to "the best country music," and I can think of no better way to describe the feel of this story. Our two protagonists were very believable and easy to relate. Many of the characters were full of surprises. A great book about wanting what you've got and simultaneously not settling for less than you deserve.
Patty
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
By the end of this book, I almost felt like the author was just trying to come up with as many weird twists as she could manage. It was ok, but I really don't recommend it if you have anything else to read.
Krista
Nov 01, 2012 added it
Once I read the second chapter, the voice of this novel drew me in. I could picture every character, and even though their stories didn't resonate with me, I still wanted to know what happened to them.
Ora
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another winner with great vivid characters from Joni Rodges. sisters in the south with a character of a mom. I loved the reference to country music lyrics. the scenes are alive with color and expression. Very quick read..
Linda
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Loved the characters!
Carolyn
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book because it had a 4 1/2 star rating on Amazon and it was a free Kindle deal. Definitely not my type of book! Very "soap opera-ish". I quit reading it about 2/3 through.
Melanie Melancon
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Sugarland

I enjoyed this story and would have rated this book higher, but I found that the flashback transitions were awkward and confusing. I enjoyed the story except for this.
Sheila
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a okay book to read. Its about a family and there misfortunes and the realtionship between all the characters in the book.
Toni
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Some really interesting writing and characters but way too many sex scenes for my taste.
Kellye Smith
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book! read it in one day
Miriam Eisenberg
Hien
rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2013
Jennifer Carmody
rated it did not like it
Oct 11, 2014
  • A Walk in the Snark
  • Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out
  • The Ghost Ship
  • Night Machines
  • Is It Just Me? or Is Everyone a Little Nuts!
  • The Bialy Pimps
  • Praise Jerusalem!
  • Falling Uphill
  • Taking Heart
  • When Libby met the Fairies and her whole life went Fae
NYT bestselling author Joni Rodgers was born into a family of gospel/bluegrass musicians and grew up on stage, opening for huge-haired country music legends of the 60s and 70s. She continued performing until 1994, when she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and used the chemo downtime to complete her first two novels, both of which were published to critical acclaim. Joni's memoir, Bald in ...more
More about Joni Rodgers...