Start by marking “Lucky Man” as Want to Read:
Lucky Man

Lucky Man

Lucky Man is a quintessentially American tale about friendship, growing-up, moving-on, and whether or not it takes luck to do so. It is also about sex, drugs, death, and road trips, not to mention the profound insights provided by the Twilight Zone, the Grateful Dead, and The Greatest American Hero.
Published March 15th 2007 by Manx Media

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Man

Kelly Moran
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I just finished reading/reviewing this book for the author, Ben. Findings are below...
__________________

In this book, Lucky Man, by Ben Tanzer, I found many grammatical errors, such as commas needed in several places and words missing to complete phrases, such as the/and/a. I found misspellings and words used out of context, such as their/there, and anyways/ any way. At times the language can be abusive, but given the situation and the characters I don’t feel it takes away from the story. In my
Don
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
A really fast-paced read, and character-driven, which I like. I've been sort of lucky, myself. This is only the fifth novel I've read in four years (the rest being story collections, mostly), and it was a decent read.

Was a little thrown by the ending, but it's my own fault, not the author's (I met him at the reading he had in town, here). When you've been reading stuff like the anthologies Interfictions and Paraspheres , your mind expands into weird places, much like some of the characters
Jason Pettus
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
(My full review of this book is larger than GoodReads' word-count limitations. Find the entire essay at the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: Some of Tanzer's newest work is currently being considered for CCLaP's upcoming publishing program, which starts in spring 2008. The person ultimately making the decision is the same person who wrote today's review.)

As regular readers know, it can be a real crap shoot with me sometimes when it comes to t
Ross
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Gerald
Mar 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of fratire
To the extent that Lucky Man is a first-person narrative about young men coming of age, you could say it’s fratire. But this is damned serious stuff, making the book much more ambitious, I think, than some of the other puke-on-my-own-shoes books in that genre.

This is, as the reader will guess soon enough, a last-man-standing story. In the end, the question is, “What’s it all mean?” Tanzer gives no clue, but I do give him a great deal of credit for at least raising the question.

A longer review is
Rusty
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yeah, so this has only taken me months to review(I don't really know how long (Sorry Ben!). This is a very slick debut. I'd call it a coming-of-age novel, but it's more complex than that. I found all the relationships (esp the father/son dynamic) to be right on target. Some layout issues and typos make the book feel less than professional sometimes, and that's too bad: this book deserves better.
Ginnetta
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn in and became captivated. The drug trips were vivid to my imagination as was the escapism.
Update:
I changed my mind and gave this book 5 stars instead of
4 stars. From now on. In my world every writer gets 5 stars and poops Pulitzers.
Ben
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It most definitely changed my life.
Leesa
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dudes, friendships, relationships, sex, drugs, sadness, family. Emo! And also, really great. (I esp. loved the hippie stuff b/c I always love the hippie stuff.)
Beth A
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all good readers!
Ok, Ben, FINALLY!!!!! A+...last chapter, A+++
Brandon Will
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
God damn this book is good! It takes a few short chapters to get used to the format (which is confusing at first, switching P.O.V.s without saying who's who when you're still trying to figure out who's who and whom's whom and where they are and what's going on), but if you give it that much, you'll be wrapped up in no time.

The story moves fast. Huge events happen, little moments happen, all the while it keeps moving forward, rolling along, like the neverending calendar-page-flips of life itself,
Maria
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a book about four friends, Gabe, Jake, Louie and Sammy, following their last years in school/college; however, it is not only a book for teenagers. I think everyone, young and old, will enjoy reading this book. It is a book about growing up, relationships, family problems and teenage social behaviour. The writing style is unconventional - there are no quotation marks used to signify speech, which first seems very unusual, but once you get used to it, doesn't seem that bad. Each chapter i ...more
David
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's suddenly amusing me that I'm trying to wrap my head around a book centering on the lives of four guys who epitomize how we spend our entire lives hopelessly trying to wrap our heads around what the heck we're doing and what our lives mean. Regardless, I dug this book. I dug the characters, the interrelation both between them and their internal problems, and the way that this was manifested in the structure of the book. There are some absolutely stunning moments, at least partially from how ...more
Jason Jordan
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Structurally similar to Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying, or Dills’s Sons of the Rapture contemporarily speaking, Ben Tanzer’s debut novel Lucky Man (Manx Media, 2007) splits the narration among the four chief characters, who are otherwise known as Gabe, Jake, Louie, and Sammy. And as the back of the book aptly puts it, “Lucky Man follows four friends from their final days of high school through their first couple of years out of college. Each has personal demons they are battling – anger, substance ab ...more
S.
Jan 14, 2008 added it
It is funny, but also sad and strange and surprising and many other engaging ‘S’ words. I was especially impressed by his range of emotion and for his clever plotting. As the novel went from coming-of-age to On the Road-like road trip, I was happy to bum along, expecting it to end in the requisite literary epiphany, but I was excited by the deft turn in the book’s conclusion. Lucky Man makes me eager for more from Tanzer.
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fiction
Mr. Tanzer's such a nice guy...can't give a "bad review" on any of his books. I thought of this book as a "Stand by Me" with curse words. Get past those bleeping words, and the story rolls merrily along.
Reza Mahani
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Very strange book, very well written and quite interesting. My main problem with it is its bleakness and a view throughout the book that borders with lack of humanity and respect for life.
Ben
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It changed my life.
Nov 13, 2007
Nick
Oct 31, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
Ben Tanzer is an Emmy-award winning creative strategist, writer, podcaster, and teacher who lives in Chicago with his family. He has had work published in Punk Planet, Clamor, and Men’s Health; written a series of award-winning books including Be Cool – a memoir (sort of), SEX AND DEATH, Lost in Space, and Orphans; regularly speaks on topics such as branding, publishing, and writing personal narra ...more