Start by marking “A Spy Like Me (Circle of Spies, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Spy Like Me (Circle of Spies, #1)

A Spy Like Me

(Circle of Spies #1)

An alternate cover edition can be found here and here.

Games can be deadly.

Eighteen-year-old Savvy Bent expects fireworks on her first date with Malcolm - in Paris! Except over a picnic of sparkling cider and strawberry tarts, a sniper shoots at them.

That’s only the beginning. From the top of the Eiffel Tower to the depths of the catacombs, Savvy must sneak, deceive, and s
Published April 9th 2012 by Redpoint Press (first published April 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Spy Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spy Like Me

Enae Weber
Jul 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
I adored the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter and was looking for something similar. This was repeatedly recommended by Amazon so I decided I would try it. It was terrible. Our heroine, Savvy seems to think she's a experienced spy due to her dad's tourist 'dress up and play spy' game. She jumps into the situation, thinking she can totally kick butt when she has no skill or intelligence. It's been a while since I managed to finish it, so I don't remember the specifics, but time has not impro ...more
Gabrielle
actual rating:3.5 although the main character annoyed me i liked it it was enjoyable and quite entertaining
Kayte
Jun 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was such a hard book to read. I dragged myself through it. It started out slow and barely picked up. Good idea, but it could have been developed better.
Coco.V
Mar 15, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/15/2019)! 🎁
Elif
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
When i read the blurb it said something like the better version of the gallagher girls series! I was like what? since gallagher girls is one of my favourite series, i thought woah this book must be good for them to say something like that but as i started to read it it didnt start well it started off with her date with this guy in paris and then he pisses her off so as to get revenge she ties his hands and undresses him and thats when people start shooting at them and the boy wants to split up s ...more
Jack Baillot
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of promise. It was fun, fast paced, and Savvy is an engaging character. However, the romance in it...got a bit much, and that is putting it lightly. (All the characters did was kiss, A LOT, but it was a deep kind of kissing and hinted at them doing more had they the chance.) If it wasn't for that, I would have liked this book a lot.

I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone really...ESPECIALLY not the teen girls it was intended for. I don't think teen girls need that on top o
Tana
Nov 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot line was convoluted, the action shifted without being fully described (how did the character get over there?) Who is doing what? Started to give the author the benefit of the doubt and pick up the sequel but it was such poor writing that I put it right back down after a few pages. I frankly just didn't care to see how Savvy was going to be a stupid female protagonist yet again.
Shantae
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy
I was somewhat excited to read this book especially with references to the Gallagher Girls series in some reviews and descriptions. The reason I say somewhat excited is due to the fact that any spy book truly can't compare to that series. It's a task that many authors have attempted and have not met my expectations. With that being said A Spy Like Me made me conflicted in numerous ways.

Reason #1 Savvy
I liked her. I didn't like her. I just wanted her to be so much more than she was. For someone w
Daisy
Jul 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realise a book could so lack spirit and charm that I would find the reading a chore. It is a concept that I seldom struggle with yet this book lacked everything that I look for in a book.
It had romance, yes but the Spy Games idea was cliché and the romance (what very little there was) was laboured and stuffy.
The opening chapter was a shambles, which, even having read the book through, I still fail to comprehend.
Paris is a captivating setting, one which authors have been featuring in t
Cheronica
Sep 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lynda Young
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was given the privilege of reading a pre-released copy of this novel. I’ve grown somewhat wary of self-published books because so many I’ve read lately have lacked polish, but when I started reading I was thrilled to discover this one wouldn’t be another. The story is an exciting adventure set in Paris. I was pleasantly surprised by the author’s ability to transport me to Paris by bringing the city alive with wonderful sensory details that made me want to travel again. And that’s just the back ...more
Ali Cross
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel. It's fresh and fun all while taking you into hen houses, pastry shops, abandoned houses and even into the catacombs beneath Paris to rescue . . . someone. (No spoilers here!) I also loved that while heavy issues (parental abandonment, being used by boys and more) were present, they lingered in the subtext rather than overtaking the whole story.

I think people who are dealing with personal stuff and need to know they're not alone will enjoy this book--mostly because Sa
Kristine Asselin
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know most won't be able to read Laura's debut for a few weeks when it's released. I have been lucky enough to read an advanced copy--actually, as one of Laura's critique partners, I've seen this story evolve over the last year or so.

I know you'll think I'm biased, but bear with me. If you've ever read Laura's writing blog, you already know she's talented and wise. She throws herself into her writing the same way she throws herself into her blog.

A Spy Like Me is at times laugh-out-loud funny,
Elle Strauss
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
You can't help but root for Savvy, a reluctant spy, who's trying to unravel the mystery that surrounds her mother's disappearance, plus there's that cute boy, Malcolm, who is hiding something, too!

A Spy Like me is a nice take on the spy genre, fun and entertaining with twists and turns that keep the pages turning. If you're a fan of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl series, then you'll like this.
Jennie
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favorite books. Ever since Ally Carter's spy series ended I've been trying to find another one to replace it. The heroine in this book is either really dumb or really lucky. She can't put two and two together ever, and even I can do that. Plus she's a TERRIBLE spy!
Lisa Green
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Spy Like Me is a fun and fast read with a spunky heroine and a hot guy you aren't sure about until the end. It was a fast paced ride with lots of twists and turns and I had trouble putting it down!
Darian Carter-Pace
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This review and more at My Blog
Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Series book: Yes
Will I read the next book: Um, maybe
Spy books are generally a hit or miss, but this one's hard to decide. On the hit side, I liked the plot and the pacing. On the miss side, the writing wasn't super smooth. I had to read certain things like five times before I got it. But there was something about it that made it hard to put down.

The writing was confusing. I feel like it jumped from subject to subject and to be honest Savvy's
Margo Berendsen
Reminded me of an up-to-date version of a Nancy Drew mystery, but with more complexity, more tension, and - best of all - a great teen voice that kept me smiling through all the adventure, mystery, and French pastries. Expect lots of chase scenes all over Paris, leaping over minature poodles and trying not to knock over rose vases on cafe tables.

And it has absolutely THE FUNNIEST first chapter I've read... maybe ever. And the best part? The first chapter will hook you, but you won't FULLY apprec
Dara Yu
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
A detailed review can be read on my blog Jazzandsass.wordpress.com

Here's an excerpt of my review:

I’m not really a fan of teen espionage. For me, I find it superficial and over the top. However, I did enjoy that movie, Spy Kids, so when this was placed on a free offer on Bookbub, I thought I’d give it a try. Plus, the book cover looks really nice.

I know. I know.

I’m not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I can’t help it. I’m a sucker for great covers. So yeah, any one who’s planning on pu
Hannah
I really liked this book in the beginning, but it was almost too long to keep my attention. Add to the fact that the book was all over the place and just really confusing. You don't know what's real and what's not. You don't really have an idea of what's going on at all and if you do, the plot totally changes and you are lost again. This book wouldn't be so bad if you gave the reader just a little bit of information about where the book is leading you to. You think it's one thing, but it's anoth ...more
May Paring
I was excited to crack open this book and start reading it, especially when I saw the majority of the reviews it got on Amazon were 3 or more stars.

Amazon reviewers let me down.

I'm honestly not sure if the author could have made Savvy more illogical, impulse, or absurd if she tried. She works as a pretend spy, but hates everything spy related, but is SURE that she's the best spy ever when it comes to trusting her instincts. I can only assume that Savvy has never ever ever heard the basic premise
Hilari
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I started out loving this book. I couldn't put it down! The more I got into the book, the more twisted the story became, the less interested I was. Great foundation, wonderful-fairly predictable-retelling of Romeo & Juliet (except these two are smart enough to remain living). I really, really had high expectations of this book, but the constant plot twists and continuation left me frustrated and bored. Because I LOVED the beginning of this book, I will keep my fingers crossed the second one ...more
Laura Pauling
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I heard the advice to write the book that I'd love to read. So that's what I did. I combined my love of spies, mystery, adventure and learning about a new place - Paris! Hope you have as much fun reading it as I did writing it!
Jessica Britt
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It did start a little slow but pick up and I didn't want to putt it down. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes teen spy books. It was fun to read trying to find out who in the book was a bad guy and how was good.
Natalia
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was REALLY good. Seriously could not put it down! It was just a tad boring in some parts, but overall awesome. If you like action and romance combined into an amazing book, read this! You rock, Laura Pauling!!
Passenger B.
I enjoy an occasional humorous and lighthearted read, but in all honesty, I struggled with this novel.

First thoughts:

Whilst I appreciate the idea and the story adds surprising (though far-fetched) twists and turns in every other chapter and it is overall a rather fast-paced read, what bothers me most is the teenage writing style.
There are other authors who really know their way around teen lingo (like Mari Mancusi) and if a novel is written from a teenager's perspective it even makes sense a
Pontiki
Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started off fun, and there were a couple of humorous bits, but this book basically made no sense.

Savvy's clueless Dad, Malcom, a quadruple agent of some kind, and finally, a prisoner with a 'vision' about saving her. Oh, and an ancient family feud as described by Malcolm. Betrayal and abandonment all around her, and she didn't even tell her Dad?

I'd already read 2/3 of this, or I'd have stopped sooner.
Kathleen R. McGuire
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I must be really dence

Thought it was very long winded to say little. Didn't really feel i knew much more about what the plot was when it abruptly ended. No one was who they really were and at least I was left really confused. Somewhere i missed that it was a serial. I read Foot Prints in the Frosting first and it ended like a book and held my interest to the end
Izzie
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's so much deceiving in this book it gets difficult to keep up with it. Savvy was always messing up and honestly was a terrible spy, not a great heroin. I liked the story line, it was good but don't think I'll be getting the next one any time soon.
Evelyn Rae
This book was mostly okay. It takes time to develop a lot, and I mean A LOT! of the plot but ends up being a decent book in the end. The character and style of the authors writing is definitely fresh and new in a good way but some things need a bit more detail.
  • Spies and Prejudice
  • Two Lies and a Spy (Two Lies and a Spy, #1)
  • Seaweed
  • The Secret of Spruce Knoll (Channeler, #1)
  • Alias Dragonfly
  • Cruiser (Cruiser & Lex, #1)
  • My School Is a Spy Factory (Spy Factory, #1)
  • Endgame (Voluntary Eradicators, #1)
  • The Boarding School Experiment
  • Star-Crossed
  • Artemis Rising
  • Native Tongue (The Specialists, #4)
  • The Universal Mirror
  • Whispers from the Shadows (The Culper Ring, #2)
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • Alibi Junior High
  • Dancer, Daughter, Traitor, Spy (The Bolshoi Saga #1)
  • Watched (Watched, #1)
Laura writes about spies, murder, and mystery. She’s the author of the exciting Circle of Spies Series, the Prom Impossible Series, and the Heist time travel mystery series. She’s a former elementary teacher and currently lives in New England. After spending time reading books to her kids and loving a good plot turn, she put her fingers to the keyboard. Don’t ask her about the unfinished quilts an ...more

Circle of Spies (3 books)
  • Heart of an Assassin (Circle of Spies, #2)
  • Twist of Fate (Circle of Spies, #3)
“I swayed, dizzy on my feet. The sounds of Paris rushed around me, swirling into a crescendo. My eyes were trained on the boy, my date, in front of me. Minutes ago he’d kissed me, offered me sparkling cider. He’d smiled and invited me into his world, his life. Now he appeared to be unconscious.” 0 likes
“healthy dose of” 0 likes