Start by marking “Along the Splintered Path” as Want to Read:
Along the Splintered Path

Along the Splintered Path

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
At some point, everyone faces a life altering decision. The right choice can lead to success, or at the very least, happiness. The wrong decision can have a more dramatic and permanent impact, and take you down a dark path to destruction.

Sitting on a roadside curb, Phillip is down on his luck. Homeless, dirty and hungry, he is tired of life kicking him when he is down. His
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Along the Splintered Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along the Splintered Path

Chantal Boudreau
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had never read anything by AJ Brown until this small collection of stories, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. The first tale was Phillip’s Story. The story began with an intro to Phillip, a man plagued by delusions, who has been left by his wife and child and who now finds himself in hard straits. He finds money, or rather the money found him, spoils of crime at the scene of a fatal accident. The story then switches to a couple of hard characters, Thad and Hollis, robbing a convenience st ...more
Daniel Russell
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AJ Brown certainly has his own voice on display with his three stories in Along the Splintered Path. I entered into this one expecting something completely different; tales of rednecks and zombie chickens and banjo-plucking cannibals. I was very, very wrong.

Phillip's Story - A down-on-his luck bum, Phillip, finds a bag of money on the street. That's the very simple plot, but in a series of flashbacks, we learn how the story arrived in Phillip's hands and then to what end it meets.

'Round These Bo
Sylvia Shults
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A.J. Brown's novella Along The Splintered Path is actually a collection of three long stories in one package. I'm a big fan of short horror fiction, so I was very pleased to find this collection, which is put out by Dark Continents Publishing as part of their Tales of Darkness and Dismay series, launched at the beginning of January 2012.

Brown is a writer who does a great job of exploring the reasons why his characters act the way they do. It's character-driven fiction, and he does it beautifull
Georgiann Hennelly
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Along the splintered path is a collection of three long stories in one book. The story lines are both moving and entertaining. My favorite was the wood shed the narrator describes events from his past involving an abusive father and the wood shed which is associated with bad memories. The story is gryesome and disturbing. It kind of reminded me of the the old western movies where the child is taken to the wood shed to be punished. I look forward to reading more books by A.J Brown
Shelly
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great trio of stories, Round These Bones was my favorite, reminded me of Stephen King's short story Survivor Type. I anxiously await the chance to read more by this talented writer.
Joan
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is another great read from the mind of A. J. Brown. There are three short stories in this book which will have you going through every emotion.
Philip's Story is about a down on his luck man who has lost his job, home, wife and young daughter. He comes into money because of an ill fated convenience store robbery but instead of blowing the money he shows compassion and pays it forward.
'Round These Bones is a story of luck, good, bad and none at all. James plans a romantic weekend with his wi
Autumn Christian
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AJ Brown's Along the Splintered Path is fast-paced, frenetic, graphic, and terrifying. Combine quick, clean prose with Stephen King like pacing, unreliable narrators, and a preying on the fears of the everyday man and you get AJ Browns "Along the Splintered Path". AJ calls himself "a unique mixture of strawberry Kool-aid drinking redneck and traditional values," and this collection definitely exemplifies this combination. My favorite story was "The Woodshed," about two brothers who are haunted b ...more
Chrissy
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

The first story was a great tale of something good and something better coming out of something bad. The second story was a scary tale that could absolutely happen to any of us. That third story though..... wasn't sure Jeff Brown could go there but he sure did and I loved it. A son's revenge and a demonic father come to torment. Another fantastic book from the man A.J.BROWN !
Neil Buchanan
Jan 15, 2012
Belle
Jan 23, 2012
A.J. Brown
Jan 30, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Darleine
Jan 30, 2012
Amber
Feb 03, 2012
maraluce addams
Feb 08, 2012
Amy
Mar 09, 2012
AJ Brown is a storyteller who pens emotionally charged/character driven stories that often include a touch of dark paranormal. His work has received such honors as a Pushcart nomination, and editor's choice for Issue #12 of Necrotic Tissue. Bards and Sages Quarterly, Liquid Imagination, and Midnight Echo are a few of the literary zines where his stories can be found.

Above all else, AJ is a husban
More about A.J. Brown