Start by marking “Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More” as Want to Read:
Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More

Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Imagine if your best just got better every single day In Your Best Just Got Better, productivity expert Jason Womack teaches readers that working longer hours doesn't make up for a flawed approach to productivity and performance. Workers need to clarify their habits, build mindset-based strategies, and be proactive. Womack's signature "workplace performance" techniques off ...more
Published February 7th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published December 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Your Best Just Got Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Best Just Got Better

Jacob
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently completed reading "Your Best Just Got Better" by Jason Womack. This book is full of golden nuggets of productivity and personal growth. When the author says, Work Smarter, Think Bigger, and Make More; it means that with all seriousness. The book flows together to help readers move through a progressive education designed to take you from the beginning to the end. At the same time each section stands alone to give you actionable insights to make you better at what you do.

Also, Jason's
Jay Oza
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full Disclosure: I received this book from the 12booksgroup.com book club to help with the discussion of the book during the month of February 2013 and provide a book review in several places, including Facebook, Goodreads, Amazon, Twitter, LinkedIn and my web site.

Key Takeaway: I recommend this book (4 out of 5 stars) since it is a practical self-help book that can help anyone get better in their personal and professional life if you follow Jason Womack's advice.

Jason Womack has written a pra
Sergei_kalinin
Книга не очень понравилась :(

Во-первых, ооочень много банальностей, кочующих из книги в книгу по саморазвитию. Книга производит впечатление глубоко вторичной :(

Во-вторых, книга какая-то очень фрагментированная, из "осколков". Такое впечатление, что собраны какие-то посты/заметки из блога и из них как-то слеплена книга.

Автор 6 лет проработал GTD-консультантом у Д.Аллена, поэтому понятно, откуда "ноги растут" у его идей. Но если GTD - довольно стройная и логичная система управления временем и с
Danielle Stevens
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just started reading this book by Jason Womack. It is one of the non-fiction books from my book club 12 Books.

I’ve only begun the Prologue and Introduction. My review covers those areas -

In the Prologue, Womack introduces the concept of an “Ideal Day.” It is, for each person, the perfect day including everything you love to do in the order that you want to do it in. I like the concept of an “Ideal Day” – it is like imagining a dream, then reviewing that dream every day on a path to make it hap
Mike Vardy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
In an era where we have a ton of info flying our way every single day, Jason Womack offers some actionable and practical tips on making your best even better. Womack offers tips, tricks, and tools that will help you level up your best to be even better.

One of the biggest pieces of advice is Jason's idea of tracking things. I'm a big believer in that, and Jason further cemented that belief by pointing out that it creates awareness -- which can keep you better focussed on your goals and aspiration
Tania
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
don't ever leave your desk unless it's work-related. fill every second of your life with mindless tasks like a tetris board. bow to our capitalist overlords.

read on blinkist
Ken Montville
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The title to this book promises a lot - after all, how can best get better - and it delivers.

It starts off with a prologue that portrays the author's life as an idyllic wonderland of affluence, abundant physical health and a close and intimate relationship with his wife along with work that is both spiritually and intellectually fulfilling. What's not to like? Too good to be true?

It turns out that this prologue is just an example of what Jason Womack is trying to teach in this book that is a cro
Philski
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
"better" but not "best"
It was a decent read but a lot of the concepts were rehashed ideas from David Allen's "getting things done" except without the structure and philosophy presented in GTD. (Jason was a former employee of Allen). Allen's 'areas of responsibility' loosely became Jason's 'most important things', the '50,000 foot horizon' became the 'perfect day narrative' and other rehashed ideas. The book is different than GTD because it has a heavier focus on time management instead of idea m
loafingcactus
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The book is a good overview to smooth out some of the bumps of common productivity tools and bring the focus back to what the purpose of those tools is. That being said, I wish the author had been more direct in relating to tools developed by others. The author is a former GTD employee and obviously there is a lot of carry over from GTD as well as some winked in criticisms. Likewise Pomodoro. I was sort of irritated to have to guess at all those relationships, and the reader who wasn't familiar ...more
Judy
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been a follower of Jason's podcasts for over a year and was so glad when he finally wrote a book that compiles so many of the personal and professional self-management tools he's shared in the past. I credit his book for a lot of positive habits I've introduced into my day recently, especially the habit of writing down the chatter and mental lists cycling in my head that used to cause me so much anxiety and overwhelm.

It's well-organized and has lots of actionable ideas to take away with ju
Chris
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Stuffed full of "obvious" ideas, except they're the kind of obvious ideas I rarely come up with on my own. I thought this was a great book with tons of ideas I hope to slowly try.

My one complaint might be the writing in some later chapters. I felt there were ideas that had little relation to the previous or following ideas, and I would frequently check the name of the chapter and try to work out why some particular tip belonged there.
Peter Watts
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional personal productivity book. The approach that Jason Womack takes is one that is simple, pragmatic, can be quickly applied, and produces real results.

I'd strongly recommend it.
Extratijd Johan
Great book - biased I know Jason
Dvir Oren
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
good book, basic wih the fundementals set goals and always ask why you're doing it
photogrl2020
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
"When you redirect your focus, your perspective changes, and when that happens, you have a significant option: You can begin to make things better. And, of course, if you change your direction, even a little bit, you could easily progress toward a new goal, achieve a big dream, or live a different life." That sums up the entire concept of Your Best Just Got Better.

I’ve been following Jason Womack for about a year now. My first encounter with him was when I caught part of his “Think Bigger, Mak
Sandy
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
good tips for work performance and productivity
Lytton Bell
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
You could visualize your day as a block of 95, 15-minute increments. Or, you could view it as a mystery, a miracle, a wild ride that is coming once only. Are you living or are you "managing" your time? Henry David Thoreau once said that you cannot kill time without injuring eternity, and the same goes for "managing" it. We are dancing on the cliff's edge, just moments from the apocalypse. You are not required to be efficient and profitable. Productivity is not the same thing as success. Walter P ...more
Robbie
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded and read the first chapter of this book and was hooked. Even from the first chapter I could tell that this was a book I wanted to read in hard copy format rather than with an e-Reader in order to more fully interact with the book on a physical basis--highlighting, flipping back and forth--as this was information I wanted to put into long term memory. I read it straight through and now want to go back and not only begin to try out many of the exercises, but also to outline the book-- ...more
Casey Wheeler
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I read this book by Jason Womack as the monthly selection of the 12 Books Group with the expectation that I will write a review and post it in several places. This book is about managing your time to be more productive and includes several exercises on building and sustaining workflow habits that will help the reader accomplish the goal of the book. He points out that there are only 96 fifteen minute segments to each day and managing these blocks of time are critical.

The book is divided into thr
Rachael Kelly
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Through my online book club 12books, I was given the opportunity to read and review this wonderful book by Jason Womack. After reading this book, I can with complete honesty say that this was one of the best personal development books I have ever read. The principle of this book is about evaluating your current habits and activities throughout the day and finding the opportunities where you can increase your productivity.

It was pretty powerful reading that we are given 96 blocks of 15 minutes t
Vrn
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed with practical, and immediately useful information, suggestions and guidance. I'm familiar with the best known approaches to productivity, and I'm already a GTD fan. But I thought I'd give this book a look and started with just taking a few notes. Then I started actually acting on the suggestions in the book and filled a pretty extensive mind map of various changes I want to make into habits.

I had several important realizations while reading this book. It changed the way I wo
Ariana
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entreprenerds
I loved this book. Maybe it was right timing, right place - I'm ready to face some of the areas of my life and work that I could improve and make some drastic, good changes. Jason Womack provides tons of useful insights and tidbits for helping you improve your best, really. It doesn't feel like a formulaic approach, he provides guidance to illuminate your journey.

I read this book as part of 12 Books, they shared a free, signed copy and I'm writing this review. I also attended a webinar with Wom
Erika Wagner
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jason Womack has put together perhaps the most practically compelling books I've read in years. By the time I was halfway through page 1, I already had out a pen and paper and WANTED to use them. The book is stuffed with these sorts of prompts throughout -- practical tidbits that provide just enough momentum to get you into that first baby step, and then the next.

I've had the good fortune to meet Jason, and this book reads authentically in his voice: full of commitment, exuberance, and a genuine
Joel Ungar
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Outstanding book. Womack includes a lot of hands on work. I ultimately decided to put them on hold so I could get an overall sense of the content. Now I'm going to go back and reread, this time doing the assignments.

Things that really hit me: (1) the idea of 5-day experiments to try something; (2) just get started (I've just gotten started on some stuff I've been delaying); and (3) all of Chapter 7.

Jason Womack is approachable by Twitter and email. I also listen to his podcast.

Strongly recommen
Kevin Eikenberry
Who wouldn’t want their best to get better?

I suppose if they wouldn’t, they wouldn’t pick up this book (or likely be reading these words). If you are a person who wants to achieve more, have less stress, and feel even better about your results, you will enjoy and value this book.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Michael Levitt
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of leadership books, blogs, etc. I've read and listened to Jason Womack's blog and podcast.

I can't recall a time in recent memory where I took the time to write down the things that Jason asks the reader to do. This book will change your life, if you apply the principles listed.

If you're like me, you are motivated to be a better you. A better leader, a better parent, a better partner, and to do things well and bigger.

This book belongs on your bookshelf!
Erin Coughlin
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book has good tips and guidance. I felt it was a slow beginning. The middle of the book was fantastic. The end of the book was very repetitive and I found myself skimming through it. I definitely think someone would find this book valuable if they never have had coaching before.
Josh Rensch
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great encapsulation of various techniques that will help you get better. I like the Ideal Day exercise as well as "I am at my best when...". I am also a fan of when he says to make sure that you were evaluated your goals and have tracking metrics.
Arnold Osborn
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Not a great read... But good information.
Michal
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent day-to-day practical principles for productively managing both work and home. For me it was taking GTD 2 steps forward. I highly recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
12 Books - Author...: Your Best Just Got Better - February 2013 87 104 Mar 29, 2013 05:50AM
  • A Factory of One: Applying Lean Principles to Banish Waste and Improve Your Personal Performance
  • Selling the Dream
  • Your Network Is Your Net Worth: Unlock the Hidden Power of Connections for Wealth, Success, and Happiness in the Digital Age
  • The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
  • The Trust Edge: How Top Leaders Gain Faster Results, Deeper Relationships, and a Stronger Bottom Line
  • New Programmer's Survival Manual
  • Forecast: What Extreme Weather Can Teach Us About Economics
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations With or Without Slides (Voices That Matter)
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches
  • The Sages: Warren Buffett, George Soros, Paul Volcker, and the Maelstrom of Markets
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • Freedom, Inc.: Free Your Employees and Let Them Lead Your Business to Higher Productivity, Profits, and Growth
Jason has the unique ability to take people as they are and focus their individual abilities to reach their very best. His compassion and empathy, two words not often used in productivity coaching, are immense and those attributes help to propel those he works with in-person, online and through his writings to new heights with little resistance and maximum effectiveness. Jason understands that eac ...more
More about Jason W. Womack...