Start by marking “An American Killing” as Want to Read:
An American Killing

An American Killing

As such things are measured in Washington, Denise Burke has everything a woman of wit could want: two hip kids able to look after themselves; a marriage constructed to allow maximum mutual leeway with a husband smack in the center of Clinton's inner circle; and a high-profile lover, the most eligible bachelor on Capitol Hill. Plus, she's a bestselling author of several tru ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 2nd 1999 by Fawcett (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about An American Killing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An American Killing

SheriC (PM)
Ugh. It started off so well. The characters seemed interesting and the writing was okay and I was curious to know more about the powerful politician found dead in an apparently accidental case of autoerotic asphyxiation, but maybe was murdered instead. Then it all went to heck on page 18, when the first person narrator suddenly began swinging between present tense and past tense, the story became clogged with celebrity name-dropping, and it became painfully obvious that the author was drawing so ...more
Kirsti
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Very good character development, pretty good mystery. The author had some wonderful turns of phrase: she describes a blue-collar town in which women wear frumpy wool coats in springtime because they believe that between-season coats are irresponsible.
Kelli
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was intriguing in the middle, but the end completely lost me. Too much craziness and much of it didn't make sense.
Susie James
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read "An American Killing" by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith during the weekend. Quite a trip back to the political life of the Bill Clinton presidential era, as the writer mixes real folks with the running true crime research and writing her heroine indulges in, on the fictional landscape. I think in the end Mary-Ann rather loses control, though. Engaging story and technique.
Laurelle
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fairly good book. Easy to read, enjoyed the different characters and relationships. That run alongside the main story. Its worth a read.
Pritpal
Sep 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Had to give up after 50 pages. The main character just annoyed me, and it's told in the 1st person.
Pamela
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I found this book in the trunk of a rental car. It's a late 20th century noir/true crime/potboiler/political soap opera.
Ted Bundy seems to be the prototype for one of the minor characters; William Jefferson Clinton also makes a cameo appearance, as does the prototype for Buddy the "First Dog."

Style: Really good. (3-1/2 stars)

Characters and Quirks: Superbly quirky. (4-1/2 stars)

Storyline: Unbelievably suspensful, yet unbelievable in general. The plot twists have more torque than a cyclone (1 s
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found this book on sale never having heard of it or the author and I was charmed with word one. The plot kind of holds up with only a few flaws but the characters and the story just grabbed me and moved me along so I hardly noticed. Denise Burke is a true crime writer who is having an affair with a US Senator. He tells her of an intriguing murder so that she'll write a book about it. About the time she gets interested he tells her to stop.
Mike Budzik
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed how the plot unfolded through the process of research for a book.  I was pleased with the first 75% of the book, but then it got excessive.  Too much adultery for me and too much killing - it felt over the top and unrelatable.
Carla
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite author's (loved Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir)earlier books. Took about half-way through the book before I got really into the story and then I couldn't wait to find out what happened.
Ann Tonks
Dense and layered and interesting mystery that includes elements of family , relationships, race, politics and crime but all with lots of humanity.
Gwennie
May 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: finishedreading
slow read
John Devlin
Mar 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
Awful plotting with incest etc. that is unbelievable.
Katie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. Didn't read all that quickly, but when I thought I had figured it out, then I hadn't so I liked being a bit surprised.
Kriscrowe
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really like Tirone-Smith. I enjoyed her memoir and this mystery had some twists that I didn't see coming at the end.
Laurie Stoll
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This is the first book by this author I have read. I found the story interesting with a few unexpected surprises.
Marca
Jan 17, 2018
Urbain
Sep 04, 2018
Delores Alger
rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2014
Feb 02, 2010
Paul Cirone
Feb 28, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please combine my new edition with the original book 8 20 May 25, 2014 10:53AM
I was born and raised in Hartford, Connecticut and have lived in Connecticut all my life except for the two years I served as a Peace Corps volunteer on Mt. Cameroon, an active volcano rising nearly 14,000 feet above the equatorial sea. I have a fun family and a labradoodle named Saltalamacchia, also fun. "Salty," my first dog.

My grandparents on my father's side immigrated from the north of Italy,