Start by marking “The Forgotten Child (The Outsider Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Child (The Outsider Series, #1)

The Forgotten Child

(The Friessen Legacy #1)

How do you tell a man there is something wrong with his child?

He wasn’t looking to love again. But what he got was a woman who shook his lonely bitter world upside down, and touched him in a way no other woman could.

Emily Nelson, a courageous young mother, ends a loveless bitter marriage and strikes out on her own. She answers an ad as a cook and live in caregiver to a thr
Published January 3rd 2012 by Orangeberry Publishing (first published November 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Child

Samantha
Emily is a recently divorced mom who accepts a job as a full-time caretaker for the son of a wealthy ranch owner. Her employer, Brad, is still angry about his wife walking out on him and buries himself in work. With help of Emily, he begins to understand that his young son, Trevor,is autistic. When Brad's wife shows up demanding to see the son she had abandoned, her actions may drive Emily and Brad apart before there romance even begins.

I really liked this book! Despite the bad grammar and typo
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Opinion:

I started the book very intrigued,wondering if it'll rate a "eh,okay" or an "OMG, this is amazing." I am happy to tell you guys it rated the later. It was a wonderfully inspiring read, something that is unusual for a romance novel. Many times I was moved to tears (in a good way). The Forgotten Child is an inspiration to all parents struggling with children whom are autistic. There are to messages of this novel; "Don't give up" the first, and "Don't give in."

The Good

The novel starte
Becky Hall
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I rarely review what I read but in this case it must be said.

My first issue is the constant grammar mistakes and awkward sentence structure. I repeatedly had to go back and re-read to try and understand what author meant. My high school English teacher wouldn't have let me turn in a paper with half of the mistakes in this book.

I also found the characters flat and unrelateable. The relationships weren't well cultivated and I often found the actions and motivations unbelievable.

The author could
Nicky
Yet another eh read.. Boy Im sure picking them lately. This one was pretty light on the romance to be honest with you, although I did find out a lot of stuff about autism symptoms that was very enlightening... (not sarcasm) But there were so many typos also that really took away from the read and SO MANY loose ends that werent tied up by the end of the book either..
Collette Scott
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazingly in-depth look at a terrifying disorder weaved into a love story that at times wrenched my heart and at others had me shouting aloud my joy. When hesitant Emily finally decides that she has had enough of her crumbling marriage to Bob, she takes matters into her own hands and finds the strength to move on. With her two-year-old daughter, Katy, Emily moves in to become caregiver to three-year-old Trevor in the sprawling ranch owned by the ultra-sexy and brooding Brad. Brad, a man ...more
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

My main issue was the characters. For a woman who had the balls to leave her husband with no job lined up, Emily allowed herself to be treated poorly and fall back into a new relationship mighty fast. The ink wasn’t even dry on the paper and had a man treated my girlfriend the way he did Emily, I’d be busting his head and hers for staying with him.

I understood what the author was trying to convey, but I have to say she handled Brad’s response
Stephanie Doss
I was distracted quite often by all the punctuation issues and such. I own many, many books and this is the first that was so poorly edited. Even the blurb at the end about the author was pathetically written and had several sentence fragments. I liked the book well enough - it was a very quick read. It brings up autism - it does not explore it as some have said. And it seems like all these parents do is use TV to babysit the kids!
Roxy the Fury
A pretty good read. I would recommend for light reading. Also, the novella at the end suits as en epilogue.
Adria's Musings and Reviews
There is no slow beginning to The Forgotten Child, no "happy opening scene" in which the characters are blissfully unaware that their lives are about to come crashing down. No, this book begins right as a marriage is ending.

Emily Nelson is a brave, intelligent and loving human being who is entering a difficult phase in her life. She's just ended her marriage and now has to find a job in order to support herself and her daughter Katy.

Like all women who find themselves suddenly single with no job
Louise
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Description:

Emily Nelson, a courageous young mother, ends a loveless bitter marriage and strikes out on her own. She answers an ad as a cook and live-in caregiver to a three-year-old boy on a local ranch. Ranch owner Brad Friessen hires and moves in Emily and her daughter. But Emily soon discovers something’s seriously wrong with his boy.
Victoria Brinius
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book got me mad. So many kids are mistreated and misdiagnosed in our country every day. They do not get the proper treatment and are thrown in "Screaming Rooms". I felt so bad for Brad and his son. There is some one I love that is very close to me that had tendencies of Autism. This is a subject close to my heart. I try to spread Autism Awareness however I can. That is why this book is getting a 5/5 from me. The author wrote an unprejudiced account of a 3 year old with a disorder and his lo ...more
Samantha
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book for oh so many reasons, not the least of which is it's treatment of a tough and contensious subject like autism. As an officially diagnosed adult autistic, the author navigates some tricky waters and hits the right notes with every turn. She every suggests the Autism Society instead of that other, greedy, vile, deceitful organization that is only interested in eugenics and cure. I'm looking forward to readin more and seeing Treavor groe and thrive with two loving, ca ...more
Sue
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I received this ebook, "The Forgotten Child", from the author Lorhainne Eckhart.The Forgotten Child is a awesome book full of emotional intensity that carries the reader into Emily's world where she is fed up with her no-good husband and decides the time has come to make a long-needed change. She takes her daughter Katy and hires on as housekeeper, nanny and cook for Brad who is a rancher and a father to an autistic son. It takes Emily some time to make Brad aware that the problems with his son ...more
Mimi Barbour
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Forgotten Child is a book full of emotional intensity that carries the reader into Emily's world where she is fed up with her no-good husband and decides the time has come to make a long-needed change. She takes her daughter Katy and hires on as housekeeper, nanny and cook for Brad who is a rancher and a father to an autistic son. It takes Emily some time to make Brad aware that the problems with his son are medical ones and that he needs special care and attention. Just as Emily settles int
Cynthia
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was well written, had an outstanding plot. I have read one other book from this author which I also enjoyed. I enjoy her books so much that I bought 2 complete series. I can't wait to read the rest of the ones I bought.

When reading this book you get well into the people, you want to slap the wife, really tear off a big piece of her butt. You feel so sorry for the husband and his cook. Awww his poor son, it just breaks your heart. I loved the ending, reall
TreLyn Cecile
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story takes a good look into the early life of of an autistic child and what the people around that child will endure along with being a romance story. The story follows a father who's wife ran out after having a child. Not only does she leave but he knows, as the child gets older, there is something wrong. After hiring a woman (Emily) to take care of his child does she help him understand the child is autistic. Then hell ensues when the mother makes her reappearance. This is a battle that ...more
Elizabeth Ray
Struggling with if this book is 2 or 3 stars. I picked this book up because I thought the autism part of it sounded interesting. I liked Emily, but she was too much of a pushover. I also felt like the book was possibly misogynistic; Emily kept saying she wanted a man to take care of her and Brad didn't treat Emily as an equal. Brad wasn't that likeable; he got better as the book went on, but was mean and rude when Emily fell in love with him. So that made me question Emily. However, I did keep r ...more
Heather Fishel
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story was predictable and the characters were not well developed. I guess I also dislike a book that starts with a woman leaving her husband - because she doesn't love him anymore.

The forgotten child is also an inappropriate title for this book as the child plays such a small role in the story - it's really not about him at all. Maybe the forgotten marriage or the forgotten wife or maybe that's the point - the child really is forgotten!
Patricia
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved this book, believable characters and story line. As usual Ms. Eckhart has written a great book. Imagine being married with a child and then you are divorced, on your own with a small child, no money and no hopes of landing a good job. Emily was in that place, no money no hopes, she answered an ad for a Caregiver and Cook, her life a s she knows it will suddenly change. This book also gives us a little insight into what it would be like to raise a child with special needs.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise of the book. Alpa male, Brad, needing helping raising his son, not wanting to see his son is autistic. A strong woman who leaves a loveless marriage, looking for a better life. Yet this strong women keeps thinking Brad is messing with her emotions. Really? To believe Cyrstal's statements every time portrays Emily as not a very smart woman. In the end that is why I had to give the book only two stars.
Dianna
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love
Very good story about love. This story was fiction but could very easily be about real life. As well as a love story, it is also the story of a child and father battling with autism.

The father really did not know about autism or that his child actually had it. When the new lady he hired to care for his son and his home came into their lives, this is when he found out about his child's disorder.

Very good book and I highly recommend it.
Judy
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book was totally awesome, How Emily finds a job as a caregiver to a child she falls in love with, and then falls in love with Brad (Trevor's father). Only to be chase away by Crystal the Bitch from hell. How Brad finds Emily and still fall back in love with Emily and they start a family before they are both divorce from their ex's.
Corinne Rodrigues
Lorhainne Eckhart has done a great job of writing a love story that is very real and believable. I found myself getting emotionally involved with the characters and the plot. It is a tale triumph over love over greed and selfishness. Loved it!
Connie Irey
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Excellent read

could not put it down. brad and Emily are now a couple I like to follow throughout their relationship. Excellent writing keeping you glued to the book.
Kelly
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was Fantastic, once I started I could not stop....
Mitzi
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst edited book I've ever read.
Tracey A. Stark
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Book was fantastic! Very believable and with well written. Had great information about Autism. Can't wait to read the second installment.
Janet
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A different perspective worth reading
Andrea
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it, loved it, loved it! Off to get the next in the series!
Debbie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy read with an engrossing plot around autism
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Creative Reviews: Looking for reviewers for my western romance 2 4 Feb 20, 2012 07:28PM

• The Older Man
  • Once Upon a Christmas Carol
  • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord (#4)
  • The Bride Price (An African Romance, #1)
  • Safer Outside (Outside Series #1)
  • I Love Lucy (The Bachelor Pact)
  • Once Upon a Ghost (The Wacky Women, #1)
  • Carnival
  • The Kodiak Clan (Laid Bear, #2)
  • My Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre Retold, #1)
  • The Spellbound Spirit (The Curious Collectibles #2)
  • Dragonfly Creek (Firefly Hollow, #3)
  • Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)
  • Jeremiah's Journey: Gaining Our Autistic Son by Losing Him to the System
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • Loving Lucas (The Ladies of Cascade Creek #1)
  • Captive Bride (The Ghost of Gwynedd Castle #1)
  • Where She Belongs
With flawed strong characters, characters you can relate to, New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author Lorhainne Eckhart writes the kind of books she wants to read. She is frequently a Top 100 bestselling author in multiple genres, and her second book ever published, The Forgotten Child, is no exception. With close to 900 reviews on Amazon, translated into German and French, this book was ...more

The Friessen Legacy (7 books)
  • Fallen Hero (The Outsider Series, #2)
  • The Awakening (The Outsider Series, #3)
  • Secrets (The Outsider Series, #4)
  • Runaway (The Outsider Series, #5)
  • The Unexpected Storm (The Outsider Series, #6)
  • The Wedding (The Outsider Series, #7)
“He didn’t have pretty-boy features. What he had was a solid, strong jaw, a hardness to his square face, and eyes alive with some ancient wisdom, making him, in fact, the most handsome man she’d ever seen.” 3 likes
“breasts and stood her ground, feeling enormous in the bulky robe even though she kept her body slim with womanly curves. Bob turned and, for the first” 0 likes