Start by marking “Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)

Bound (Arelia LaRue #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  5,966 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
Sixteen year old Arelia LaRue lives in New Orleans where the music is loud, voodoo queens inhabit every street corner, and the ghosts are alive and well. Despite her surroundings, all she wants is to help her Grand-mere Bea pay the rent and save up for college.

When her best friend Sabrina convinces her to take a well-paying summer job at the infamous Darkwood plantation,
Kindle Edition
Published October 28th 2011 by Kira Saito

To ask other readers questions about Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound

Giselle
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This cover is gorgeous, and the intriguing synopsis about voodoo had me excited to read it. Sadly, this wasn't for me. Even though the plot was mysterious, the characters were infuriating.

Let's start with Arelia, who has been hearing spirits her whole life. She's taken a summer job at a plantation which appears to be filled with spirits and strange happenings. Arelia comes off as very immature for the most part of the book. She would overreact to the smallest things, as well as believe everythin
Carrie
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Arelia LaRue and her best friend Sabrina take a job at the Darkwood Plantation for the summer. Arelia really needs the money as things have been tough for her and her Grandmere but Sabrina is along for the fun and to hopefully meet a rich man to marry. Arelia begins to learn about her heritage after meeting her great aunt who has worked at the plantation all her life, the LaRue's have a long history of being voodoo queens and Arelia's has always known there was something different about herself ...more
Books
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2013
The first thing that cemented my interest in this novel was the way it was written. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but the end result is that I absolutely loved this story and I can’t wait to read the second and third books, which the author had also gifted me.

Apart from the flowing- and meticulous writing, the story itself was intriguing and full of interesting facts about hoodoo and voodoo. By the end of the story I understood that there is a difference between hoodoo and voodoo, and I no
Vesmé
Mar 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
S
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, fluffy-nonsense
I picked this up because it was free, and even though the cover was a bit off-putting for me (not my style), the synopsis sounded a bit interesting, so I gave it a go. And it went... quickly. I read it in just over a day, but since it's only 140 pages, that makes sense.

The problem with this book is that it was entertaining, but not very good. Good enough to read the next two, maybe... when I'm craving an easy read that requires no thinking. But it is predictable, and over the top, and the charac
Naj (Unputdownable Books)
I was once looking around Bound's Goodreads pages and found a lot of mixed reviews about this book. What I found on Goodreads made me want to read and decide for myself and well I did! The good reviews I agree with the bad ones not so much. I don't really get why they didn't like it at all.

This is something new for me, especially in the Young Adult Genre, I've only read about voodoo in a non-ya book just that one time last year but never read a book solely based on a protagonist who's gifted wi
Prerana
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis of this book had me very interested. Voodoo queens? Spirits? Old plantations?

Heck yeah, I was excited.

Sadly, this book wasn't for me.

Let's begin with Arelia. Her name is beautiful. Frickin' fantastic. Arelia LaRue. There are so many books with absolutely horribly-named characters. This was not one of them. However, I could not like her as a character. She was way too judgmental. I am not exaggerating at all when I say she was horribly judgmental. I have genuinely never seen anyone w
Sanette
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eh, it was okay but nothing special. The characters didn't capture me and Sabrina was so annoying that I almost stopped reading the book. Arelia was annoying and always running away from everything. Ivan was confusing and I could never get a clear picture of Lucas.

The ending sucked, it was like she suddenly decided to stop writing, it felt totally out of left field and not an ending to a book. I understand that she was intending it to be a cliff hanger, but NOTHING happens in this book so I can'
Meghan Overbury
I mean, it wasn't horrible. There were general grammar mistakes here and there, which is to be expected from a free ebook. The mythology was fairly well put-together, and even though the book ended really suddenly and some of the characters bugged me overall it wasn't bad.

But did the love interest have to be named "Lucus" instead of Lucas? Even my autocorrect wants to fix that one. Lucus sounds like mucus. And that's all I could think of when his name was mentioned (which was frequently).
Gillian Murrell
This book had so much going for it at the start. I loved the idea of voodoo hoodoo and would liked to have learnt a lot more about it. The story was set on an old plantation opened to the public for the first time. The story line was good but the author just seems to rush it too much and tried to make it dramatic but didn't pull it off. As this appears to be Kira's first book i would consider reading more of her books. I would like to think that she will grow as an author with her books.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I read it in one day and i just had to buy the rest of the series. The author is extremely creative to be able to make up such a story and it must have taking months of research. There are a lot of grammatical issues but I can look past those because these books are just that amazing.
KatReads
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
INFURIATING AND RIPPING-HAIR-OUT-OF-SCALP-WORTHY.
Warning:Contains serious ranting.

I want to start with the positives that kept me reading right till the end of the novel. Firstly, the cover is gorgeous, there was an intriguing synopsis and it was a freebie- free books? Hooray!!

I like the setting and the story ideas is good, just not well executed.

I finished reading and the 3 star rating I initially had in mind eventually dwindled to one star. This was from the book not having any climax, any
Ea Solinas
Oh, I love books about New Orleans, especially if they somehow incorporate voodoo and history into them.

So I hoped to really enjoy "Bound," the first novella of Kira Saito's Arelia LaRue series -- it has voodoo, ghosts, snakes, a gorgeous old plantation and lots of atmosphere. Sadly, it also has a massively unattractive heroine, no real ending and some major writing flaws that badly need to be addressed.

Against the wishes of her grandmother, Arelia LaRue takes a job at Darkwood Plantation with h
Kim
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(cross-posted from The Caffeinated Diva reads blog)

The good...

I really enjoyed this book, despite the mixed reviews on Amazon. The voodoo mythology behind the story is fresh and unique, a twist on the witchy theme. It had a very real flavor to it, a lot of attention paid to incorporating true voodoo beliefs. Much of the story centers around Arelia and her dealings with the spirits, the ceremonial aspects of asking for and receiving favors very well done. Some of these spirits were clearly of the
Charlotte  Black
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I received this book to my kindle and started reading I was hooked. The writing is so rich and absorbing that it was difficult to put it down even for a few minutes!

Firstly the main character, Arelia, is someone I can relate to. From a poor background she and her Gran-mere have had to work hard just to keep a roof over their heads. Everything in Arelia's life is about survival so its no surprise when she decides to take the job offer of summer work at the Darkwood Estate.

Her best fri
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon)
17-year-old Aralia LeRue lives in New Orleans. Raised by her grandmother, she has a part African-American background, and can hear and speak to spirits – which she thinks is normal-ish for New Orleans.

Arelia’s grand-mere’s landlord keeps putting the rent up, and Arelia’s best friend Sabrina has secured both herself and Aurelia summer jobs at the LePlant family Plantation, so Arelia is off to spend the summer working in an attempt to earn some much needed
Charlie
I normally do not focus or point out typos in any book because I completely understand the edit process, digital formatting and how things can just slip through the cracks despite all the effort. However, I had to share this one because it made me laugh in a good way. It didn't determine my rating or enjoyment of the story, I just thought it was awesome.

The best typo quote! "...even if it meant staying outside in the horrible heat all day and getting bitten by misquotes."

Despite the typo, Bound
Kezandra
*May contain Spoilers!

This book made me angry sometimes! I mean the story would have been so much better if certain characters did not exist in the book.

Who should exist?
Arelia: Well of course, she could be such a good YA heroine if she wasn't such a easily tempered easily pushed around girl! Over the little things that Lucas ssaid she would Blow up on him. Well Shit, let him talk. But there were times when I was actually fond of her, like when she would take care of that little boy and she stoo
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars for this book. I eventually settled on the three mainly based on the characters...they just weren't all that likeable.

****May Contain Spoilers****
So we meet Arelia as she is packing for a summer job at Darkwood Plantation with her "friend" Sabrina , who is just awful. At Darkwood, Arelia meets a long lost relative who convinces her to explore her voodoo queen powers; meanwhile, Sabrina is busy throwing herself at the rich and gorgeous Lucas LaPla
Abbie
What the heck? I don't understand how Bound could be so horrible. I mean the plot seemed good when I read it, but the overall story? I've read better paranormal books. Voodoo, haunting spirits, and mystery are all interesting themes but why did the story disappoint me so badly? See, I kinda hated everyone. The characters weren't likable, you couldn't really relate to them. Arelia was the humble, hard-worker beauty with the snotty best friend, the rough past, and the deadly secret. But she still ...more
Christine McIntosh
I must not have been paying attention to what page I was on but all of a sudden, I was done. Just as the story was getting decent, it stops. The story-line in general has a ton of potential but much of this first installment, not even a complete book really, feels wasted. I liked it. It wasn't terrible. But it could've been a lot better.

I didn't even really like Arelia. Sometimes she was cool but most of the time she was a biotch. And why be friends with Sabrina? At all?? Ivan was interesting. B
Dialma
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book read more to me like a rough draft. The idea is interesting, but I think everything needs development. I did like Lucus and think is the only character that was fully develop in the story. I wouldn't mind the cliffhanger, if a little bit more had happened on this part of the story, but this book only covers about a week of Arelia's life. The end felt rushed and like it was a cliffhanger because the author ran out of ideas of how or where to keep going with the story and needed more tim ...more
C.P. Cabaniss
I was going back and forth between one and two stars for this, but I had to go with one. It sounded like an interesting story, even the beginning wasn't that bad, but once I kept going it just started bothering me more and more.

The characters in this were so annoying. Arelia, the main character, was so frustrating. She was extremely judgmental for seemingly no reason. She was constantly jumping to conclusions about anything and everything except what actually mattered. And the other characters
Kayla
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arelia goes to the Darkwood mansion in New Orleans to make some money with her best friend during thr summer. It is then that her ancestral voodoo history catches up with her full force.
This was a free book on the Nook; I did not have high expectations but love reading YA books before bed, it could be called my guilty pleasure.
The plot was unlike anything that I have read and interested me so much that I finished it in one sitting. I was more than happy to read language that was not repetitive l
Alexandra
I liked this book more than I thought I would. It was free on my Nook so I didn't expect if to be great.

I liked that it mixed a little history with voodoo. The main character was smart and strong. The characters were believable. And the story was entertaining.

I hated how the book ended though. The cliffhanger was too much. I felt like I read the whole book for nothing, only to be told it will be continued in the next book. Also, it may have just been the edition I have, but there were several sp
Cat
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie
I thought the plot was decent, but I found Arelia and her BFF way too annoying. Arelia is super judgmental, stubborn, and ignorant. I get that she's young and has to work, but she's not the first person to ever do this and she most certainly won't be the last. She can't seem to think beyond her own personal needs, even when she's playing second fiddle to Sabrina.

Anyhow, just as the story is getting somewhere, the book ends. Too much unnecessary ground work, not enough action.
Anoolka
1.5
Dissapointing. Short, feels unfinished. It has potential but relies on shallow characterization that is not entirely though out or consistent. Arelia is supposed to ignore the spirits, as she says she always does, but her ignoring them somehow means talking to them and telling them to go away - that's not my definition of ignoring.
The romance, all the relationships - too fast, too cliche.
Too bad, becuase the setting was interesting. Nothing happens.
Penelope
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is some young adult fiction that can be enjoyed by an older audience, and then there is some that seems to be purely for teens. This book fits into the latter category for me. It felt to me as if a teenager had written the story for one of her friends. It's easy to read, and the idea of some voodoo witchy stuff intrigued me, but the writing style is too naive for me.
Ashley Fetterman
May 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed with this book. I couldn't follow, it took half the book to develop any sort of plot, and by then, it wasn't anything interesting. Im at 75% of the way through and stopping because it's becoming more of drivel than anything great. I do wish that the author had spent more time on this. Im glad it was free and I didnt have to pay for it.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book! I was treading in unfamiliar waters by choosing a ya book (since I'm 43 lol) but I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The end of this first book is just the beginning... it's getting juicy;). Off to start book 2 (so excited.. happy reading to my fellow book worm friends ;)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Eternity
  • Marked (Soul Guardians, #1)
  • Madly (Madly, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Insight (Insight #1; Web of Hearts and Souls #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Ignite (Midnight Fire, #1)
  • Enchantment (Channie, #1)
  • Broken (Reflections #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
Kira is a magic junkie and loves writing YA paranormal romances. Some of her heroes include: Jack the Pumpkin King, Willy Wonka, Larry David, Princess Jasmine, the vampire Lestat, Andy and her Maltese Costanza.
More about Kira Saito...

Arelia LaRue (7 books)
  • Punished (Arelia LaRue, #2)
  • Possessed (Arelia LaRue, #3)
  • Oppressed  (Arelia LaRue, #4)
  • Suppressed (Arelia LaRue, #5)
  • Repressed (Arelia LaRue, #6)
  • Rebelled (Arelia LaRue, #7)

“...people can surprise you if you let them in.” 15 likes
“That’s so mature. I thought we were past junior high school.” - Arelia
“We may be, but boys will never be” - Sabrina”
6 likes