Start by marking “Fantastic Four, Volume 5” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Four, Volume 5

Fantastic Four, Volume 5

(Fantastic Four (1998) (Collected Editions) #26)

Earth is under simultaneous attack on multiple fronts. As the Future Foundation and its allies struggle to hold back the Kree Armada, Annihilus' Negative Zone forces prepare to enter our universe through a portal in the Baxter Building. And a fate far worse is coming. If Earth is to be saved, it will take help from Galactus, the return of an old friend, and a miracle.
Colle
Published July 25th 2012 by Marvel (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four, Volume 5

Start your review of Fantastic Four, Volume 5
Sesana
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I kind of messed up a little bit. I didn't realize that, after volume four, Fantastic Four took a break and switched to FF. So I missed roughly a dozen issues between the last volume I read and this one. In my defense, you'd need to dig more than I imagine most casual readers would bother to to find that out now. Did it matter? In the end, not so much. I was able to understand enough of what happened during that time in order to follow this event. But probably it would have been better if I'd re ...more
James DeSantis
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic.

Every single storyline is building up to this. All the behind scene moments all equal to the end that is coming. However, let's talk about the big return. Johnny Storm is BACK! Yes, from the dead. However, it actually makes freaking sense. Only Hickman can do that. His past and what happened was fucking badass. Then got the invasion coming and everyone is willing to fight back. A unlikely ally shows up and then...the future comes back to help the past.

This is the payoff afte
Terence
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
The Kree are invading Earth to annihilate the Inhumans and Annihilus is attempting to invade and take over the Earth as well.

A lot happens here and I honestly hadn't read enough to know why all this was going on. I followed the Inhumans storyline into this volume. This volume was the typical crossover which features a ton of characters and major battles. Some very unexpected events take place is the most I can say.
Artemy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics
That’s more like it! Hickman pulls all of his multiple cosmic plots together into one big thing, and the result is appropriately epic and impressive. It reminded me a lot of Infinity, Hickman’s Marvel event that came a few years after the Fantastic Four (although Infinity was much better, in my opinion). This volume feels too final, though — it could have been a perfect ending to the run. So how come there are three more books after that? Let’s find out, I guess.
Aaron
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is nearly a perfect comic book. Hickman has been laying the groundwork for this finale for dozens of issues, and now everything culminates in a huge, glorious fight that never feels like just a fight. It feels important and connected, because every single detail has been planned and executed by a master writer. This is one of my favorite comics I've ever read, hands down.

I will say, it will probably only feel that way to someone who's been reading all of Hickman's FF stuff up until this poi
Gavin
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
OK Hickman, your convoluted and cosmos-spanning storylines finally come to a head here. It was just about worth all the headaches so that I knew what the F*** was going on.

There were quite a few HOLY S*** moments, when I was actually like:

description

I feel like a lot of people don't like Hickman because he operates on a cosmic scale, multiverses, layered stories that take a while for the payoff, and I'm usually not interested in a story taking THAT much effort (but I'm not going to say if there's more than
Mike
Summary: blew the back of my head off.

This is (a) a simultaneous read of FF volume 3 and Fantastic Four volume 5, and (b) a late BuddyRead of Foursome Week with my pleasingly weird Shallow Comics Readers.

So I'm trying to read the Hickman from start to finish, because God help me the last time I tried to get through his run on the FF-verse, I lost interest - despite Doom, evil Reed Richardses, super-intelligent kids and lots of major courtly...courtliness. Yeah, I think it's that last part (alon
Adam Spanos
While this isn't Jonathan Hickman's last story on Fantastic Four it is the culmination of years of story telling and plot lines that he's laid out. Almost all of the threats that he's laid before the F4 since volume one come together to created a threat not only to the team itself but to the entire city of New York and possibly the planet. This volume is probably one of the most epic Marvel events even though it was not marketed as one and was contained within Fantastic Four and FF. Between the ...more
RG
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing!! Back to Hickman best. So much going on but so enjoyable. The negative zone story was amazing. The action great and the twists just so Hickman.
Sans
Holy buckets. Ok, as I probably mentioned in a previous review, I've never been one for the family of fantasticalness. But this. Wow. My jaw literally dropped and I had to put the book down for a minute at one point. I sat there staring at my cat, jaw still hanging, mind totally blown, wondering how in the seven hells Hickman came up with this. It shouldn't work. Only it does. It works so. Fucking. Well.

I do think that being able to read this in one go (or three, given my need to go to work and
Craig
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! Wow! Amazing! I just had my mind blown by a comic book for the first time in, like, forever. This was a truly awesome collection and amazing conclusion to the storyline that Hickman set up so carefully throughout his run on the title. The "war of the four cities" comes to a conclusion that's not quite what you might have expected, but much more significant. This is cosmic storytelling done right (and I'm usually not a fan of the cosmic books from either Marvel or DC). Great storytelling an ...more
William Thomas
This is the greatest Fantastic Four story that has ever been published. I can't stress enough how perfect it is. I can't even review it, don't want to. You just have to read it. I cried it was so damn good. Jesus, I literally cried. ...more
Matt
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collects Fantastic Four issues #600-604

This is one of the best modern Marvel stories I've ever read, but be warned that you can't start with this volume. There is a lot to read before you can appreciate what happens in this book. In fact, I don't believe you could read this book, and fully understand all the intricacies of what is happening. Before reading this, you need to read the following collected editions:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four (by Hickman) volumes 1-4
FF (by Hickman) volu
Michael Emond
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
So yeah - in between volume 4 and 5 there was a run called FF (with Spider-Man taking the place of the temporarily dead Human Torch - not a spoiler since nobody ever stays dead in Marvel these days) and I didn't read it because my library doesn't have them. No worries - we seem to pick up where we left off with the build up build up build up finally starting to kinda pay off?

I'll rate it three stars but this was NOT my cup of tea. Why? Well, like a big summer blockbuster it was all BAM BOOM! Ex
James Lawner
Truth be told, I liked that the Fantastic Four had ended and the Future Foundation begun, but bringing it back again just seemed weird to me, because before, things made sense, then the FF title became a companion title and it became dull to read (I did not reread FF for this). This particular volume wasn’t very hard to follow and if you’ve never read FF you might just be fine reading this, because alot of the stuff that was set-up in previous volumes of this series pays off, and this whole thin ...more
Henry Blackwood
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahh, sweet resolve. Ive said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t think there’s anyone better at weaving multiple narrative threads into an amazing resolve than Jonathan Hickman. This trade is a perfect example of his supreme ability in that area.

In this one we have just one narrative thread after the other hitting you in the face. It was ridiculous, every issue ended with a punch in the gut and a resolve to a thread that had been set up since issue number one of this run. Those narrative th
Lucas Chance
*hits bong*

What if..like...we put all the superhero comic tropes in one storyline?

It’s not bad, but I am honestly disappointed that Hickman’s arc with both Fantastic Four and FF has come to a really kind of basic plot of fighting celestials, especially when we know from his other work how really great he is at world building and finding different avenues with mainstay characters.

Maybe this is really the first time he flexed those powers, but it’s disappointing to see him not stick the landing
Russell
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't imagine the stress of coming up with the story for issue #600 of a series. That's incredible to be put in that position.

Still, Hickman over performed and made a great read. Tons happened that were enjoyable, though I could tell there were other series out there tie-ing into this. Wonder how to figure out what that was.

And the whole Frank/Galactus page. Wow. Wow. I love comics for this very reason.

The whole series explodes with joy.
Timo
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Looking all those praising comments on this one.... I think I missed something. I think I read something else than what I read.
Torch is back from the grave (so surprising), cosmic shit happens, loads of fighting and everybody is friends again. When I read this the first time when this came out, my feelings were the same. It all just felt pointless. It still does.
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Seriously. I've never been a fan of the Fantastic Four. I always found them dull and repetitive, yet this run had me entirely captivated. I just had to keep going.
Kudos to Hickman for such a wonderful work.
Anthony
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This may have just become my favorite comic book ever Jonathan hickman is a genius this ties everything up that has been built through his entire run and its magnificent. You have to read it in the right order and along with FF to fully understand everything but man its worth it.
Akkisuitok
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019-comics, x-marvel
So much fighting. So many green bugs. Big space battle. Also, the story is not continuous between volumes so I'm always missing out on stuff but I don't care enough to hunt down the missing parts. Pfff.... ...more
Kaylabookworm22 L
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it. I knew I would because I like the movies.
Somunachi Okee-Aguguo
Finally everything made sense. Such a great volume, a lot of stuff packed into it. Definitely made me reading everything else worth it.
Dimitris Papastergiou
Great solid story and great artwork!

A bit biased here because I'm a sucker for Annihilus but it's a good story and even better, a good F4 story.

Bob
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great run climaxes w/ the Kree invasion of Earth & the conclusion to the War of 4 Cities
Alan
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not going to pretend that I can ignore the discussions here about Hickman's current Avengers run, especially as I am pretty much in agreement with much of what has been said. There is a part of me that thinks someone at Marvel said while reading his FF and Fantastic Four work, "Lets give him all of the Avengers titles and see what he can do. Better yet, we'll just let him do what he wants."

I think he had a better grasp of what to do with the FF though. He has the characterization pretty much
Des Fox
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
The was phenomenal. Absolutely everything there is to love about Hickman's interpretation of the Fantastic Four is summed up right here in this volume. A massive battle is handled perfectly across this thick collection, with the whole Marvel U there to support a barrage of heavy emotional blows. The scale is huge, the consequences dire, and the feelings are absolutely exhausting. The supporting artists include some guest appearances from Carmine Di Giandomencio, Ming Doyle, Francis Lenil Yu and ...more
Sean
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marvel comics fans!
Jonathan Hickman's ideas are pretty over the top. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. Here, its a huge hit. There is a lot going on, at times too much, but overall Hickman reigns it in and tells an epic story. The collection is big due to the monstrous issue #600 which had some superfluous moments. The art in that chapter also did not mesh with the rest of the collection. Alternate realities, time travel, godlike battles, etc. This book has all this and more. Overall, a very nice ending to a ...more

• The Vision
  • Fantastic Four: World's Greatest
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 2: Dangerous
  • Hawkeye: Omnibus
  • Immortal Hulk, Vol. 7: Hulk is Hulk
  • Immortal Hulk, Vol. 1: Or is he Both?
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 4: Unstoppable
  • Superman: Up in the Sky
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 1: New Departure, New Arrivals
  • Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Jonathan Hickman is an American comic book writer and artist. He is known for creating the Image Comics series The Nightly News, The Manhattan Projects and East of West, as well as working on Marvel Comics' Fantastic Four, FF, and S.H.I.E.L.D. titles. In 2012, Hickman ended his run on the Fantastic Four titles to write The Avengers and The New Avengers, as part the "Marvel NOW!" relaunch. In 2013, ...more

Fantastic Four (1998) (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fantastic Four: Heroes Return - The Complete Collection Vol. 1
  • Fantastic Four, Vol. 2: Unthinkable
  • Fantastic Four, Vol. 3: Authoritative Action
  • Fantastic Four, Vol. 4: Hereafter

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...
“Ever boy deserves a father.” 2 likes