Start by marking “A Sweet Passover” as Want to Read:
A Sweet Passover

A Sweet Passover

In this charming and humorous story, Miriam discovers—with the help of her family and a little matzah bread—the true meaning and importance of Passover. Miriam loves spending time with her family during Passover, and all week long she is happy to eat lots of matzah. But when she wakes up on the last day of the holiday, she is sick of matzah and refuses to eat it ever again ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about A Sweet Passover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sweet Passover

Alissa
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved A Sweet Passover by Leslea Newman and illustrated by David Slonim. This would be a fantastic book to read to children celebrating Passover. Little Miriam loves the holiday and everything about it: especially the matza. On the seventh day of the feast, she eats a bit too much. Then next day, she swears to never eat matza again, even though her grandfather has made matza brei (French toast) for breakfast. This gives the adults in the story an opportunity to remind Miriam why they eat unle ...more
Rachel
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miriam and her family spend Passover together, happily eating matzah with every possible coating: cream cheese, jam, butter, etc. By the final day, she's sick of matzah! Then Grandpa makes delicious matzah brei for everyone but Miriam won't have any so the family reminds her why Passover is more than just eating unleavened bread!

This lovely picture book about Passover gave me a lot of feelings. It reminded me so much of my own family and childhood, from the traditions to the sprinkled in bits o
Wendy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book teaches principles of love, cooperation, faith, and significance to each family member. One of my favorite lines from the book is "How else will we remember that even the plainest food eaten in freedom tastes sweeter than the fanciest food eaten in slavery." Simple food helps us to remember to be humble.
Elizabeth
A Sweet Passover is a really cute story with lovely illustrations. It's a great book for Jewish children and their families looking for a book to celebrate Passover with, but it's also a solid book for non-Jewish children to learn about Passover.

Definitely recommended.
Alycia Kelly
This is a fun story. This story is about a little girl named, Miriam. Miriam thoroughly loved going to her grandparents home to celebrate Passover. I loved this book!
Amanda Nye
1.) Text-to-Self: I have family members that are Jewish and I get to witness some of the more traditional Jewish celebrations.

2.) This book introduces students to the Jewish celebration of passover in a fiction story. I like this book because it is a young girl going to her Grandparent's house to help celebrate passover. By sharing everything that little Mariam loves about passover, the book shares some of the important traditions of the holiday. I also like that this book supplies definition of
Dolly
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a family's Passover celebration. The narrative is fun to read and I liked how the story centers on the family gathering and that Miriam's grandfather helps her to make the matzah brei for herself.

The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and complement the story nicely. A brief summary of the Passover holiday and a glossary of terms are also included. We enjoyed reading this book together.
The Styling Librarian
Cute Passover story, nice mix of Yiddish in the book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Truly a sweet story. I want to try the recipe at the end.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Would give it 3.5 if possible. Cute story, good message. Made me hungry.
Amanda
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A young person gets tired of eating matzah. Then the parents and grandparents win her over.
Librarylady90
Feb 12, 2019
Jessica
May 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Lesléa Newman (born 1955, Brooklyn, NY) is the author of over 50 books including Heather Has Two Mommies, A Letter To Harvey Milk, Writing From The Heart, In Every Laugh a Tear, The Femme Mystique, Still Life with Buddy, Fat Chance and Out of the Closet and Nothing to Wear.
She has received many literary awards including Poetry Fellowships from the Massachusetts Artists Fellowship Foundation and th