Start by marking “No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)” as Want to Read:
No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)

No Longer a Gentleman

(The Lost Lords #4)

Grey Sommers, Lord Wyndham, never met a predicament he couldn't charm his way out of. Then a tryst with a government official's wife during a bit of casual espionage in France condemns him to a decade in a dungeon, leaving him a shadow of his former self. Yet his greatest challenge may be the enigmatic spy sent to free his body--the only woman who might heal his soul.

Cassi

Published April 24th 2012 by Zebra Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No Longer a Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Longer a Gentleman

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
I finished this yesterday and yet it feels like weeks since I've read it. Not sure what that means.

First of all, I'd have given this book four stars if Putney knew how to write anything realistically--which she does not. Granted, it is partly my own fault, because I know from past experience that I don't generally enjoy books by her with tortured heroes, simply because the heroes aren't actually tortured. The characters in the book claim the hero is tortured, and so does the hero himself, but t
Melanie Adkins
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lord Wyndham, Greydon Sommers, never dreamed that his dalliance would cause him to lose ten years of his life. He spent those ten years in a dungeon, alone and barely hanging on to sanity. Determined to keep himself from going completely mad, he worked out and sang. When he'd all but given up hope of ever seeing England again, Cassie enters his life. A spy working for his friend Kirkland, she was sent to check out information that he was still alive. She caught just the right time too, because ...more
Barbara ★
This series is spectacular. I've loved everyone of the Lost Lords so far, and their ladies too. Ms. Putney surely has a way with words. None of the Lords had an easy life and neither did their women. And Grey "Wyndham" Sommers and Catherine St. Ives are no different. In France Grey was caught in a married ladies bed by her husband and was imprisoned in the dungeon for ten years! Catherine St. Ives aka Carrie Fox's entire family was murdered by the French and she was left adrift at a young age. F ...more
Moria
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Decent enough story. Decent enough writing. Just could not get into it. Feels like the author wasn't into it either. This is sort of passionless, paint-by-numbers romance writing. This reads exactly like it's the 50th variation of the same novel someone churned out in a short period of time. Very blah.
Alexandra Calaway
I really loved the relationship between Cat and Grey. It develops very naturally and both are adults about their struggles. I only had to knock a star down for some very unbelievable plot devices. I am forgiving for this type of book, none of us are here for historical accuracy, but there was essentially "magical" perfume and someone who recovered almost completely from severe PTSD in a few weeks. That's....too much.

Still, if you want a good time romance with spies, this was fun and light and I
İlkim
Pek de ısınamadığım bir hikaye oldu, bitsin diye çabaladım hatta. Aslında sevdiğim her unsur vardı içinde ama yine de bir şeyler eksikti.
E_bookpushers
Agnieszka
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posiadam
Spodziewałam się czegoś lepszego. Bez szału, mimo że bohaterka była odważna i niezależna, wydała mi się równocześnie mocno nijaka, podobnie jak i główny bohater.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted at Demon Lover's Books and More

3.5 flames

This book has so many things to like about it, but for some reason I really couldn’t get into it. I wanted to rate it higher, I truly did. But I just...can’t.

I don’t normally do reviews in the like/dislike format, but I really have had a hard time reviewing this book. Because it didn’t work for me, but I can see the marketability of this book, I think this format works.

I’ll start with the things I liked:

-The heroine is a spy, and a really gr
Karine Darnessy
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Décidément j'adore cette auteure et ce quatrième tome est de nouveau un coup de coeur.
Cette fois-ci, nous suivons Cassie, un des agents de Kirkland rencontré dans le tome 3. Sa mission , retourner en France afin de savoir si oui ou non après dix ans de disparition, Lord Wyndham est encore en vie. Comme a son habitude , elle se déguise en femme sans intérêt et invisible pour mener son enquête. Ayant habilement soutiré des informations a une tavernière, elle se dirige vers le château Durand ou el
Melissa
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-reads
Although I hadn't read the other three books in the series, this one was easy to follow (except the whole school/Hindu fighting style thing, that took a bit to figure out - Kirkland's spy network was not).

This had a very Count of Monte Cristo vibe with the "10 years in a cell with a priest to keep you company" plot device right down to Gray's penchant for revenge (although not as elaborate). Cassie was an interesting heroine and it was nice to see Putney attempt to work some of the grimmer aspec
Jodi
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
In the last book of the Lost Lords quartet, the missing lord, Greydon Sommers, Lord Wyndham, was located and rescued from the private dungeon he had been locked in for the last 10 years. He would have gone mad if not for a fellow prisoner, a Catholic priest, who kept him sane by educating him and singing with him. But in those 10 years, he saw no other person. His rescuer was Cassie Reynard, sent by Kirkland. The rescue was easy. The recovery was not. You don't just leave solitary confinement wi ...more
Hortensia
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro (el cuarto de la serie) me pareció muy extraño en cuanto a la forma que está escrito, es decir, al principio combina pasado y presente entre un capítulo y otro; luego viene algo de acción, después entra en un "impasse" donde no pasa nada memorable (en mi opinión, claro) que termina dando paso a un clímax donde lo importante no son los protagonistas, ya que el momento de éstos llega a su cumbre en el epílogo.

A pesar de esa forma extraña, el contenido no es malo, los personajes (como en
Virginia
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Putney returns to form in the long-awaited story of Wyndam. The characters have true depth and are multifaceted. I love how they are transformed by their suffering (and not of the mundane romantic variety, we're talking DEEP suffering) and bring each other gentle humor and healing. Plus, throw in some spies and France and disguises, how can I NOT like it?
Mariana
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I've read all but the second in this series (completely out of order and over many months). I think they are all good but the later the better. Why doesn't Masterson have a story?
Jenny Q
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
3.5 Stars. I was excited to get a double pack of Mary Jo Putney romances for review, and not having read her before, I decided to start with her newest, No Longer A Gentleman. Besides, I have a weakness for historical spy romances, so I really wanted to read this one!

The story takes place in France and England during the Napoleonic War and follows British agent Cassie Fox as she helps break fellow agent Grey Sommers out of the French prison that's been his home for ten years. But breaking him ou
Patty
Once again, the fairy tale world of romance gives me the opportunity to leave my life behind for awhile. I know that there are folks who don't read genre fiction, but I think they are missing a lot. There are times that it is wonderful to escape the real world. I don't care if you read mysteries, science fiction, westerns, fantasy or adventure tales. I just think there are times in this modern world when it is good to leave reality behind.

Putney gave me what I was hoping for. I got a rip-roaring
Cherie
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I love this group of men that are the Lost Lords. Grey has been lost for ten years his fate unknown to his family and friends. Ms. Putney does a great job describing the obstacles, both physical and emotional, that he must overcome after being freed from his imprisonment. Cassie is an intrepid gal and I admired how resiliently she lived her life. I thought I'd be uncomfortable with their return to France but it was done with just the right amount of tension. This was not as much an adventure sto ...more
"Oh I like this premise, very Joanna Bourne with the sly fox French heroine and the Englishman named...Grey, whoah yeah, that's a bit of a coincidence...yeesh"

All similarities ended there, as the writing was not very good nor was the plot very...plotted. I kept missing Joanna Bourne's dialogue and research and humor until I just threw in the towel and started to reread Rogue Spy. Ah much better.
Sharyn
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this 4th in a series. I love Regency's and Mary Jo Putnam. Cassie is a spy for England in France and sets out to find Grey, who all think is dead but spymaster Kirkland. The spy stuff is interesting as is the afterward. Be sure to read that. The love story between two wounded people is very romantic. Ok another reread. September 20, 2015. I think I like this one best so far. Also I noticed the cover actually looked like them, correct hair color and everything. Cassie is my favorite Her ...more
Joan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been an amazing series, each book a stand out and works wonderful together as a whole.
Characters are very developed and interesting, each is their own person and strong in character.
There was no whining in this book-thank God! Oh, how can he love someone like me crap over and over. Very refreshing.
The storyline was great, fast paced and very exciting to see how it would all come together. Reading a story about two people who come together and are better with each other is so nice.
~Leslie~
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook
I really enjoyed this installment in the Lost Lords series. I had read one other a while ago but was still somewhat familiar with the premise. In this one, Lord Wyndham has been imprisoned for 10 years after bedding the wrong woman. Catherine St. Ives, known as Cassie is part of a spy network and goes to France to rescue him. She was orphaned many years ago and has lived a dangerous life since. She and Grey come together at first in sympathy but then grow to love each other. These are both inter ...more
Yumru
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok iç sesler çok ayrıntılar içeren bir kitaptı,ayrıca karakterlere de pek ısınamadım.Bayan karakterin rahatlığı biraz sinir bozucuydu.Erkek karakterse çocuk gibiydi gerçi 10 yıl bir hücrede kalıp yeni doğuyor gibi olması normal ama bayıyordu bazen bu durum.Neyse işin özü her şeye rağmen arada eğlendiğim bazende sıkıldığım bir roman oldu.
Rosey Waters
So... I guess it's time to put Mary Jo Putney down for a while. This was... fine. I definitely skimmed at the end. there wasn't the same build up as the two books I did enjoy -- and definitely the factors keeping the hero and heroine apart weren't enough in my mind.

Also, why on earth did Grey go to Agnes's school? I really can't tell.
Becca
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good storytelling, just too dark for my taste.
Kristal Kitap
2,5 aslında. -_-
Jacqueline Mudge-Cooke
2.5 Stars

While this series is a guilty pleasure of mine. I find myself with an interesting conundrum. While the other books in this series makes me interested in both people in the couple that were suppose to fall in love and live happily ever after. I found myself only really interested in one of them and that was Cassie. (Which is odd because sometimes outside the series I would be more interested in the male than the female so points for that!)

Cassie is a spy to take down the French for the
Jack Vasen
Obviously, one doesn't read books like this for realism, but this one stretches that so far that it becomes laughable. The escape near the beginning relies on the coincidence that the castle where Grey is held has nothing but sick people. As a result, the resourceful lady spy, Cassie the Fox, is able to rescue him rather easily. Their escape to England is also filled with lucky coincidences as the villain who held him searches diligently for them with a literal army of men, but fails to
Yustina Susi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Save Lord Wyndam!!
Dari 4 buku seri Lost Lord yang kubaca... masing2 menonjolkan 'pejuangan' hero mereka yang 'hilang' karena berbagai alasan. Tapi di buku ini kondisi Grey sangat menyentuh, meskipun alasan menghilangnya dia (selama 10 tahun!) sangat konyol.
Gara2 wanita, Grey dikurung di penjara bawah tanah selama 10 tahun. Kemampuan untuk bertahan hidup dan mempertahankan kewarasan selama 10 tahun itu ajaib menurutku. Mungkin dikuatkan dengan adanya seorang pendeta yang dikurung 2 tahun kemudia
Lassarina Aoibhell
One of the things I liked about this book was that it took two very damaged people (in very different ways) and put them together in ways that worked for both of them. I liked that Grey went from a very spoiled man whose life had been so easy to someone who was transformed through bad experiences. I absolutely adored Cassie's aggressive competence, intelligence, and ability.

One thing I didn't love, and it has been a thread throughout this series, is the persistent presence of rape in backstory o

• What an Earl Wants (The Redgraves, #1)
  • A Lady's Revenge (Nexus, #1)
  • Too Tempting to Resist (Lords of Midnight, #2)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • Taming an Impossible Rogue (Scandalous Brides, #2)
  • Forbidden (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #6)
  • The Saint Who Stole My Heart (Regency Rogues, #4)
  • The Bride Wore Pearls (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #3)
  • At Your Pleasure
  • The Pleasure of Your Kiss (Burke Brothers, #1)
  • My Scandalous Viscount (The Inferno Club, #5)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • The Casanova Code (The Rake Patrol, #1)
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • Be My Prince (The Royal Trilogy, #1)
  • A Woman Made for Pleasure (Promises Trilogy, #1)
  • Lord and Lady Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #1)
  • The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #2)
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably

The Lost Lords (7 books)
  • Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords #1)
  • Never Less Than a Lady (Lost Lords, #2)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • Sometimes a Rogue (Lost Lords, #5)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
“Disdain for authority is the bedrock of my character.” 2 likes