Start by marking “All In The Family” as Want to Read:
All In The Family

All In The Family

Allison Albrecht and Samantha Cannizarro are thrown together when their parents become engaged. Sam is deaf, so Allison begins to learn sign language. Allison is eager to please Sam and to make a good impression on her. Sam does not care about good impressions. She is a loner, always has been. She resents her new instant family, especially her stepmother-to-be. Sam is also ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Ride the Rainbow Books

To ask other readers questions about All In The Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All In The Family

Hue
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
So many loopholes and assholes, ugh. This was not an easy read for me, with the recurring monologues and dialogues on a very horrible experience. I purposely avoid reading that kind of narrations. Then there was the added angle of love triangle for which the final pair I did not care in the end.
Jae Jae
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I read an online version of this book some years ago, and I remember that some parts read like a parody or a soap opera. Thankfully, the published version improved in that regard. It's an entertaining read with an interesting setup, but still not Q. Kelly's best work. Some of the issues weren't resolved, e.g., Allison's alcohol abuse.
Nikki
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, lgbt
You can always count on Q. Kelly to bring you deliciously complicated plots with beautifully flawed characters. This was a great read and the author did an honorable job developing these characters that I couldn't stop rooting for.
J.R.
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A twelve year old is attacked by her mother's boyfriend.

A troubling time to grow up being pregnant at twelve years old and the future is highly uncertain to say the least. Allison has to grow up fast. Her mother gets remarried to a man whose daughter is deaf. Sam has always been on the outside since she loss her hearing. The complications that come out while they are both growing up. Do the two of them finally reconcile with each other? Enjoy!
Danni Mladenovic
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've yet to encounter Q. Kelly's book where the relationships are plain same-old, usual, ordinary... These characters are no joke, nothing is easy in these books, there is no "lemonade" moments... Everything is so raw, and I love that she usually writes about socially marginalized people with a seriously disturbed environment during their growing up...
Darlene
Q Kelly writes real life. What I mean by that is that all the characters come to life and you are allowed to live in their heads for a while, at least some of them. I know she writes what she knows but even so she breathes in even more realism than maybe reality can stand. In this case, we step inside a girl who is profoundly hearing impaired. We get to see what life is like for her. She's no wimp but like any of us feels left out when the people around her won't include her in the conversation. ...more
Alena
Jan 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ho boy. There's no way I'll finish this. The reasons are manifold.

On a simple level: the romance. I'm not feeling it. The characters fall in love practically overnight while not really interacting that much. I have no clue where that is coming from.

The characters. Not well-developed, some are more caricatures than fully-realized characters (the parents). The mother especially.

At the same time the book is filled with different topics. The romance between two teenage stepsisters, one of them is de
Doreen
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a very big fan of Q. Kelly's writing. I have most, if not all, of her books. I enjoyed reading all and rereading some of them. For some reason, I just could not finish All in the Family. I got to the half way point where Allison and Sam are caught having sex. They break things off and I quit reading.

I promised myself that I'd finish this fine novel. I started reading it again after three and a half years. I got to that damn midway point and wanted to stop again. This time I just kept going.
Scoobyfan
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm never disappointed by this author! All in the Family takes a unique spin on a blended family and throws romance in to make it even more complicated. This author loves complicated relationships and that is true to life. Life is never all dandy and roses. There's always complications. I love how Q Kelly lets real emotions through, even though most of us hide our emotions and true feelings. Getting into the heads of these characters shows real thoughts, real emotions, real love. I was rooting f ...more
S
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
too angsty for me, skipped 10-15% right before wedding day, ending kinda short.
Michelle Holmes
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was really I finished it in one day. I'm adding it to my reread list.
Lesbian Reader
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of this Author's writing because I always love her characters - they are so human and flawed, but very likeable and easy to root for. This is my favorite of all her books.
Dani Dean
Apr 18, 2017
Sisi
Jun 02, 2018
Kim Hogan
Jul 18, 2014
Tj Dinwiddie
rated it did not like it
Aug 20, 2018
Dec 02, 2012
RoadWarrior
Apr 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I live in Virginia, where I am a writer and an editor. I also have a master's degree in deaf education. In my free time, I hike and savor frappuccinos.