Start by marking “Bats at the Beach” as Want to Read:
Bats at the Beach

Bats at the Beach (Bat Books)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,661 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
Quick, call out! Tell all you can reach: the night is just perfect for bats at the beach!

So pack your buckets, banjos, and blankets—don’t forget the moon-tan lotion—and wing with this bunch of fuzzy bats to where foamy sea and soft sand meet.

Brian Lies’s enchanting art and cheery beachside verse will inspire bedtime imaginations again and again. Come visit a bedazzling w
Published May 8th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bats at the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bats at the Beach

Carmen
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
A bunch of bats go to the beach at night.

The story is told in rhyme:

Or sailing to terrific heights,
taking turns at being kites.
Little bats dig their sand caves deep,
as old bats lie in the moon, asleep.

This book is very dark. No, I'm not talking about the subject matter, I'm talking about this taking place at night and being a very dark book to read. It's like watching the Batman movies starring Michael Keaton. Everything is dark. Sometimes you have to strain your eyes to tell what is going on i
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sea-ocean-beach
Not sure why I didn't like this one more but I just can't bring myself to give it more than three stars. The pictures are nice and fun and the rhymes are okay if a bit awkward at times. I guess maybe I just don't understand why the "Bats" books get so much hype whereas other (better, IMO) picture books go out-of-print, so perhaps it's just a pet peeve of mine interfering with what would otherwise be an amusing little story.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of beaches, bats, rhyming stories, excellent & unusual picture book illustrations
I’ve read Bats at the Library and really enjoyed it, and this is one of the nominated books for July’s sea side/ocean them at the Picture Books Club over at the Children's Books group. I don’t know yet if this book will be selected, but as soon as I was aware of it I reserved it at the library and read it when it arrived, even though no libraries are involved, and I love libraries.

On the inside back cover I love how readers find out that a portion of the proceeds of this book are being donated t
Kathy Davie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Part of the Bat Books series and revolving around families of bats.

My Take
I love that start: “bats pour out with shrieks of laughter”. Don’cha know…just like our own kids.

Lies has an easy rhythm to his rhymes, as he sets out all the paraphernalia that people would also take to the beach. Okay, so, maybe not the moon-tan lotion… It’d make a good opportunity with the kids to compare what the bats take to what you might take.

As well as those beach activities with sleepy old bats kicking back in law
Candice
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did Bats at the Library, but - full disclosure here - I'm a retired librarian, so that may have something to do with it. Like the other two "Bats" books, this one had a good rhythm and rhyme, and excellent illustrations. The full moon entices the bats to go for a night at the beach. Usual beach activities abound, but of course with a batty twist. They slather on moon-tan lotion, and instead of flying kites, they fly each other. Instead of toasting marshmallow ...more
Erma Talamante
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a perfect night out - a perfect night for a trip to the beach. The bats grab their blankets and things, and who could tell that they are not people as they play in the sand and water? By their bedtime, of course!

Read full review here:
Skip
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
NY Times Children's bestseller. Ivy League-educated Brian Lies is a better illustrator than rhymer. And I liked the notion of "moon-tan lotion." I think Michael Reiss's How Murray Saved Christmas is better, unless of course, bats are your thing.
Lara's
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents and children grades 1st-3rd grade
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : On a night when the moon can grow no fatter, bats pack their "moon tan" lotion and baskets of bug treats to fly off for some fun on the beach.
Review : A very sweet book about vacationing bats who come out at night to spend the "day" at the seashore. It provides a very unique viewpoint for a bedtime story. Going to sleep while the sun is just beginning to rise, celebrating cultural exchange by "making friends from other places with different foods and different faces".
Also really go
Emily Walsh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brian Lies’ Bats at the Beach is an inviting fantasy for young and older readers alike. A New York Times bestseller, this book, which is also available as an e-text, makes it easy for the reader to identify with all of the fun things that happen at the beach, aside from the fact that the main characters are bats! Even so, Lies does a fantastic job writing and illustrating this text and makes you look at bats in a very different way. The descriptive words and thoughtfully crafted pictures make th ...more
Ryan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am happy I got a chance to revisit this book. It has a fun rhyme, and I am reading the giant board book that has the Bat Hymn in the back. I don’t remember that being in the original hardcover of the book, but then again, I am forgetful. And for future reference, i never want a bug-mallow. Eweee.
Jessica
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how the verse flows, and the pictures were perfect for our beach storytime - lots of laughs from my crew.
ElphaReads
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TOO. FRIGGIN'. CUTE.
Rachael Terry
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing detailed artwork.
Samantha Weatherford
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: small children, kids learning about the ocean or who like the ocean
Recommended to Samantha by: child development class group
this book was fun to read, because it showed a different perspective of the beach by talking about it at night versus in the day when most kids think about "going to the beach". The pictures were adorable, and i think they would catch the attention of young readers. one that i liked alot had them making smores but crickets were in the marshmellows. you could teach kids about compare and contrast in this book (night versus day at a beach). it would be a great opener to a study of the ocean, or fo ...more
Eileen
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages: 3-10
I ADORED this book as soon as I saw it.

Although the rhymes don't perfectly flow, the illustrations are really what make this book a winner. My son, 5, always enjoys pointing out particular cute bat faces when we read this book; and I get a kick out of the "moontan lotion" and the buggy light bulb "snack bar."

This is a great escape from the "moral" children's books
Dolly
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fun story about a group of bats having a party at the beach (don't forget your moon-tan lotion!) Although it's all about the night, the illustrations are quite dark, which can be troublesome if reading in a dimly lit room at bedtime. Otherwise, it's a terrific story with both nicely detailed and silly illustrations.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
To no one's suprise, the PandaBat loved it. The art is delightful, Lies has created the most charming bats since Stellaluna.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A family of bats goes for a midnight outing on the beach. The illustrations are SO cute! I liked his other book, Bats at the Library, a little bit better, but this one is excellent too. Highly recommended!
Casey Bennett
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Don't forget the moon-tan lotion!
Kathy
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Same author as Bats at the library. I love the pictues especially the gross bug-mallows that get roasted on the beach.
Lachlan Lee
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, my young son loved it! Great pictures. Sure this book will be read over and over again in our household.
Caroline
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute children's book--my favorite part (besides the incredible illustrations--make sure to look closely at them!) was the "moon-tan lotion". Just adorable.
A fantastic concept with just a good execution. The story was fine, but some of the rhymes were a little forced. Still, I enjoyed it. My only real complaint is that the pictures are so dark (it all takes place at night after all) that it's hard to really make out what's happening. If I only read this to the kid on my lap that would be fine, but I was hoping to use it as a story time read aloud. I don't think the kids would be able to see the pictures well enough to hold their interest long enoug ...more
Olivia Slykhuis
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh! I really wanted to like this, it had such potential! The illustrations are fantastic, and have such cute details, and the actual storyline and textual details are funny and cute too. But. The. Rhyme. Scheme. It's terrible. It's awkward and stilted and uneven. I just can't stand it. This guy needed a better editor. Bummer. Would not use.
Greta
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendations
My first graders loved this book. It is an excellent opportunity to focus on the story elements of characters and ....setting. How do bat characters behave as opposed to people? How do bats interact with beach setting? What is the same and what is different between bats and people?
Christine Grant
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Title describes the book completely. A little long for Story Time and not as engaging as I would like.
Eileen Carter
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love going to the beach? Everyone right? Can bats go to the beach and have fun too? Of course they can but don't forget the moon glow lotion and yummy treats.
Sara
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, storytime
A lovely story with clever, beautifully done illustrations.
Brett
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anyone claiming that bats aren't really cute needs to read one of Lies's books immediately.
Cara Byrne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another beautifully illustrated book in this strange and wonderful series of picture books about the activities of nocturnal bats acting like humans (with a twist).
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Socksquatch
  • Zen Ghosts
  • Spoon
  • Come On, Rain!
  • There Was An Old Monster!
I was born in 1963 in Princeton, New Jersey, which back then was a quiet college town, surrounded by old farmland slowly giving way to housing developments. I spent a lot of time building dams and forts in the woods across the street with my best friend, inventing things, and writing and drawing with my older sister. At various times during my childhood, we had newts, gerbils and rabbits as pets. ...more
More about Brian Lies