Start by marking “The Truant Officer” as Want to Read:
The Truant Officer

The Truant Officer

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  254 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
To have and to hold from this day forward...
Darren McLaughlin thinks he's having a nightmare as he watches his wife, Lilly, being abducted from a gas station in Chandler, Arizona. Things then go from bad to worse, when it's revealed that her captor is one of the students she taught at a local high school.

For better or worse...
In Manhattan, US Attorney Aaron Eicher cringes
Published (first published October 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Truant Officer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truant Officer

Nicola
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I had some trouble getting into this book at the beginning. I found it to be slightly confusing, and difficult to follow. It did not grab my attention in the beginning. I gave it another chance, and once I got into the book, I found it to be more interesting as the story developed. There were a lot of twists and turns, often surprising me. I did not like the character of Lilly- and felt that her husband was left twisting in the wind by her and her "boyfriends". I was continually wishing that Dar ...more
Dee DenBleyker
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mr. Ciccone starts the reader off with the kidnapping of airline pilot Darren McLaughlin's wife Lilly. There are many threads to follow...the main one being the Russian Mafia and that is where we are introduced to Nick Kellen. Nick is in the witness protection program having witnessed the murder of his father who was a part of that world. The writer takes us on a fast paced action packed adventure with many twists, turns, mystery and a surprise ending. I will say that I do think that the ending ...more
Bobbi Steadman
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
When you download one of those thousands of 'free' kindle books, you think that there might be a chance this is decent, but chances are, it's not. It's probably boring, probably poorly written. But, for me, that wasn't the case with this book. The beginning was a bit slow, and somewhat boring, admittedly. By the time I read it, I had forgotten what it was supposed to be about, so I was thrown through a loop several times as the story developed. I was a bit disappointed in the ending as I had hop ...more
Grammar*Kitten
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-freebies
Nick’s wife is kidnapped, seemingly the latest in a string of gang-initiation kidnappings where women were kidnapped, beaten and raped. As the truth unfolds, he finds that a gang initiation would have been a merciful alternative, as a tangled web of lies and deceit unfolds before him, propelling him across the country and into another continent chasing her down, while he himself is hunted by an enemy nobody could predict. A fabulous thriller, the second book I have read by Ciccone, both of which ...more
Dorel
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read by Derek Ciccone. I really don't like mob books but this really surprised me. I couldn't put it down once I started it. It took me about a week to finish reading it. I love that it is an action pack page turner. All the characters was well written. I love that it was full of surprises. I agree with all the 5 star reviews. I would definitly read more books by this author.
Mel
Oct 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Initially I found this quite confusing, as I struggled to get my head around the backstory and to remember how all the characters related to each other. This was a bit easier as the novel progressed, but all the double agents and people lying about their identities didn't help. I felt that this was a good twist, but Ciccone took it too far and it got boring. Overall, I found this laborious and was relieved when it ended.
Crystal
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: erotica
To my dismay, I read this book twice. It seemed vaguely familiar as I read the second time, but I was already hooked by the story, as unlikely and changeable as it was, before I recognized that I had indeed read it before. I have to say I didn't like it any better the second time. It was disjointed and confusing, good guys became bad guys and vice versa every few pages. By the time I had finished it, I was sure that there were no good guys at all.
Kelly
This book has short chapters and jumps from person to person.. by chapter 10 I was completely lost. I couldn't keep up with who did what and how anyone was connected so I gave up.. according to the Kindle I was 11% into the book. The book was an Amazon freebie tho so I can't complain. I just deleted it and moved on.
Julie Powell
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this an unusual read. It's a crime thriller of sorts with a rather odd take on how things would be in reality. However, I did think that, on the whole, it was well written. I liked the beginning, the mystery of who and why, although the story did have its twists and turns, and, if you could keep up, it was quite well done.

A story for those who like the unexpected.
Oma
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: derek-ciccone
It was a little tedious in the beginning and hard to get into. But as Darren's character started getting more bold, I enjoyed it more. He was really the only "good" character so when he acting as a milquetoast husband, I was turned off by all the evil bolder players.
It was worth sticking with it to the end.
Rick Mekemson
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was one of those books that I couldn't help but think I was wasting my time. I figured since none of the characters were worth caring about why should I keep on while I could be organizing my sock drawer or something else of equal value. You can't expect to like everything you pick up to read.
Margie Mcgee giltner
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the plot of this book. There were a lot of characters to kept track of and sometimes that was difficult to achieve. There were a few too many double-crosses in this book for me, otherwise it would have been a five star book.
Kim Rhoads
Good read

kept me guessing the whole way through! I thought I had it figured out then something else would happen to make me change my mind. if you like crime novels you will enjoy this book.
Hazel
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not interesting at all. The only reference to the title came on the very last page. A very disappointing read. In fact I have read other books in between!!!!
Karen Roe
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

Took a while to get into this book but when I did. I loved the twist and turns it through at me. Would highly recommend this book to any one
Dorrie
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
story moved very fast and was hard to put down. lots of characters in short, choppy chapters.
Garry
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Soso

Weird read ..sum good characters some not so good..loads red herrings ..very tangled story ..worth reading but is in some place juvenile
Su
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I struggled to keep all the characters roles clear in my mind, lots of twists and turns but I felt the end was rushed and was not believable for me.
Barb
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was full of twists and turns. I really liked it.
Katy Gaffney
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous read from start to finish
Bettyjean Murphy
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I found it to be slightly confusing. It jumped all over the place. I did like the story in the end but was hard to keep tract of the which CHARACTER they were talking about.
Suzanne
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Didnt find it confusing at all and thought the twists were very well placed.
Amy
Feb 28, 2012 added it
Kindle
Heidi Rothert
Feb 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
started but didn't finish.. not really something I was interested in. a little too dark and dirty for me.
Eileen
Sep 27, 2016
Sharfa
Jul 25, 2012
  • Witness to Death
  • The Covert Element (James Becker, #3)
  • Collision of Evil
  • The Manuscript (The Delphi Chronicle, #1)
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Breaking News
  • Killing Faith (Gabriel de Sade, #1)
  • In Memory of Greed
  • Snowed Under: A Christmas Short Story
  • Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #1)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • The Secret Formula (Bella Street Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lethal Effect