Start by marking “Pigs, Volume One: Hello Cruel World (Pigs TP, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pigs, Volume One: Hello Cruel World  (Pigs TP, #1)

Pigs, Volume One: Hello Cruel World (Pigs #1)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In 1962, a KGB sleeper cell was placed in Cuba. Half a century later, the cell's children are assigned to overthrow the American government. But why...and why now?
Published February 28th 2012 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Pigs, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pigs, Volume One

Joseph
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
**Buddy read with the Shallow Comic Readers, theme this week: Indies!***

description

Around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Soviets landed a group of agricultural scientists in Cuba, but they never left. Queue forward to today, and the children of these scientists, now trained assassins sent to the US to awaken a sleeper cell and do...something.

Not a terrible idea, but not well executed here. The artwork is a shambles, and the coloring doesn't help. It's hard to tell who is who, and the absence of
Kajwan
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
For those fascinated with Cold War history and the missile crisis of 1962, of course reading "Pigs" would be an enjoyable experience. But it has this easygoing sense in it and whenever it jumps some details, like how the agents hopped the border or who exactly was the old man in the beginning, the annoying easygoingness of it just pops up and spoils the joy of the high stake situation developed.
Hope the next chapter be better than this, or be a decent ending to this gripping story.
Scruffy
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pigs starts with a simple premise, In 1962 a KGB sleeper cell is placed in Cuba. Years later the children of these agents are activated with orders to bring down the US government. From here a complex and deeply layered story begins. The story is told in a non-linear fashion, jumping between three time periods - Now, Soon and Earlier. This is a very effective way to structure the plot, as more details are revealed in each time period our view of these characters and their motivations is constant ...more
William Thomas
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Image Comics has evolved into the Goliath of the creator-owned industry. With Dark Horse floundering and publishing nothing more than Conan and Star Wars comics, Image has been snatching up all of the innovative writers they can find. For the most part, they're doing a hell of a job.

Sadly, I can't give 'Pigs' high praise. I can give it a slap on the back and tell it it did a good job, but that's about all. Nate Cosby and Ben McCool have an intriguing premise, but I feel like I have seen this sa
Lydia
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed studying about the Cuban missile crisis so obviously this graphic novel appeared interesting to me. I liked how the novel flicks between the different time periods and is quite mysterious, omitting information so that you are asking questions. It got really good towards the end so now I really want to read the next one. The only limitation with this graphic novel is that none of the characters have really grown on me but perhaps that will come when I read the other volumes.
Lisa
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought I wasn't going to dig this and I was totally wrong. Ran back to the shop to try to secure the back issues and was told I needed to be patient. Eek. Second generation Russian spies who grew up in Cuba and aren't sure who they are fighting or what they are fighting for. Yes please. A few sloppily handled representations of women chilling in underpants with guns, but other than that I'm not mad at the Cosby/McCool led team.
James
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If the final page of the first issue doesn't grab you, just put the book down.

This reminds me a lot of The Losers and I think the creators see that too as Andy Diggle provides te introduction and Jock drew the covers.
P.
Jun 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, speculative
if you like the use of swearing to make your characters seem real hardass, then this book is for you!

but seriously, I wouldn't doubt it if there were a cell of KGB child-operatives still active.
Pturingan
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, espionage
Interesting so far. But really just too short for me to form a proper opinion. I'll continue reading it if I remember to buy the next volume when it comes out.
Kevin Thurman
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Once again, this is good, but not great. I really think the premise is interesting, but the writing leaves a lot to be desired.
Jason Reichner
Jan 22, 2016
Aaron
Oct 21, 2015
Tim
rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2015
Jul 23, 2012
Paul
Oct 27, 2012

Pigs (2 books)
  • Pigs, Volume Two (Pigs TP, #2)