Start by marking “This Place Is Awesome” as Want to Read:
This Place Is Awesome

This Place Is Awesome

Before five star hotels and personal jets, before regular hotels and economy class seats, even before Motel 6 and tour buses, there is the "tour van". The mobile circus that serves as transportation, bunk bed, dinner table, and rec room for hundreds of hungry young musicians.

In 2009, music photographer Adam PW Smith flew to England to spend a week touring with the Vancouve
Paperback, First Edition, 156 pages
Published October 18th 2011 by Lulu (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about This Place Is Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Place Is Awesome

Start your review of This Place Is Awesome
George K. Ilsley
Just looked at the pictures, mostly. This account follows a Canadian punk bank on the road in England. One band member describes them as medium functioning alcoholics on the way to being low functioning alcoholics. One needs to really really appreciate binge drinking to get the most out of this book. Otherwise— there are lots of pictures!
tamarack
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This Place is Awesome is what happens to zines when they grow up and get settled. Which is a good fit -- because like Adam, I have grown up and become a little settled too. This is what tour is like for those of us who aren't really into DIY/punk touring anymore. Not that I've done the band thing myself, but I have done enough young-punk traveling of my own and am familiar with staying awake until your hosts feel like passing out at 4.30am, sleeping atop lumpy couch cushions, and worrying that I ...more
Andrea Federau
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling page turner on the travails of traveling with a band through the wilds of English pub gigs. At times anthropological and in others archaeological; it's an exploration of a particular microsociety as seen through the eyes of a photographer who's been described as "the only adult in the room."

A romp with great pix!
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining account of a music photographer's week-long travels with one of my favorite bands, the Dreadnoughts.
Chris Ryan
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable book; it will take its place on my shelf next to Dave Bidini's On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock. I have just two criticisms. One is that I have to say it could use an edit. The other is that, for all the talk of the band, there is very little talk of the music. For example, just two words are devoted to the London gig: "went well." All of the hell and inanity of the tour was ultimately in support of the music, and I wish there had been some talk of particu ...more
Erin Keaskin
Aug 10, 2018
Holly M Wendt
Sep 08, 2013
Adam Smith
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Eric

• Green River Killer: A True Detective Story
  • Lawn Boy
  • Billy Budd, Sailor
  • Living is Dying – How to Prepare for Dying, Death and Beyond
  • Philip Sparrow Tells All: Lost Essays by Samuel Steward, Writer, Professor, Tattoo Artist
  • Where Monsters Hide: Sex, Murder, and Madness in the Midwest
  • The Cat Inside
  • Original Story By
  • Julieta: Three Stories That Inspired the Movie
  • Flight or Fright: 17 Turbulent Tales
  • Chicago
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray: An Annotated, Uncensored Edition
Adam PW Smith is a Vancouver-based photographer with a highly regarded reputation for live event photography using available light. He has been called “the best concert photographer in the country,” and can be found hiding in the wings of concert halls or crouching behind speaker stacks in theatres, clubs, and bars all over Vancouver, England, and, more recently, Poland.

In 2011 Smith published his