Start by marking “Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life” as Want to Read:
Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life

Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life

The ability to sell others is as critical to your success as food, water and oxygen is to life. While you may think that an exaggeration, every person on this planet is required to sell others on their ideas to advance themselves and their goals. The skill of selling is a MUST for promoting yourself, your business and your ideas. While many think that if they do a better j ...more
Hardcover, Reissue with more info, 256 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Greenleaf Book Group Press (first published November 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sell or Be Sold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell or Be Sold

Start your review of Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life
Joe
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version.

I didn’t like the focus on:
• People who like to save money are cheap – spending money on quality goods that last is wise, but buying in to the ideology of consumerism and purchasing things you don’t need and can’t afford on credit is irresponsible, a leading cause of stress, unhappiness and unlikely to be the right financial decision for anyone who wants to be a responsible parent
• Meditation is pointless nonsense – I assume Grant has not read any of the hundr
Belal Khan
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I bought this book after having read an article by the author. I felt the article had some real value to offer, so I figured the book would be chalk full of such value.

Turns out the entire book is simply self hype and rah-rah. The thing that rubbed me the wrong way is how is basically puts down some other authors and practices in psychology and sales. It's one thing to have an opinion, but he comes off as a clown of sort.

Oh, and the fact that he raves about "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard is a r
Daniel Threlfall
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Grant Cardone can be annoying. He can also be motivational. This book was both.

I read his book, the 10x Rule, and loved it. Great stuff. There was a lot of the same in this book, but the emphasis was on selling. The big idea is: 1) Everyone sells, 2) You should do a better job at it, and 3) Here's how.

There were some good gems — the ethical necessity of making sales, the importance of persistence, a strategy for time management, etc.

Cardone's approach is more "RA-RA-RA!" than it is "Let me prov
Brad Henderson
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
My reviews are typically very close to the reviews of the Goodreads community so I was surprised to find how bad this book was. Grant Cardone is incredibly annoying. Everything he says is anectodtal, and he uses extreme examples to make blanket claims about how to be a successful salesperson.

He also encourages going into debt and convincing others to go into debt for the products you're selling. And apparently frugal people make terrible salespeople.

Half of the book was common sense and the othe
Julia
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grant Cardone is not a professional full-time writer. He is a salesman, a billionaire, a business owner, a great leader and mentor and motivational speaker. So please stop complaining about the misspellings or his style of writing, this is not a literary work to admire for its complexity or use of the language resources to tell a story, you're missing the point. This book is about learning from a guy who used to be like you and me and figured out how the world works and made it work to his advan ...more
A. Rosner
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I started this book not knowing the author, I left it despising him. In all fairness the author does stay true to his title, he's selling you all throughout the book. From selling himself, book was filled with self-flattery, to selling his products, book was filled with reference to his other books and to products on his website, which he continuously and unabashedly told you to buy all throughout the book. To summarize, this book felt less like a product intended to help you and more like an ad
ScienceOfSuccess
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: waiting
It's similar to other Grant books, he casually mentions all his products (courses, books, apps etc.).

He also gives you rules that should help. Most of them are pretty straight-forward and logical, execution is up to you.

This book will: tell you everything about selling, the approach you should have, and what to look for.

This book won't: tell you anything about closing the deal, and probably anything that you haven't heard already.
Jack Oughton
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
"Don't have lunch with someone unless there's a chance they'll buy something from you"

ok
Cody
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's a Salesperson

Sell or Be Sold starts out with the interesting thesis that everyone is in sales. Whether you're a doctor selling your skill set, a entrepreneur selling your business, or a traditional salesperson selling your product you're in sales.

Cardone tells of his rise through the sales world from a car salesman to a business owner; including what he calls he's biggest sale, he's wife. He outlines a basic sales process: "the only sales process you will ever need" and shares what he
Anthony
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about selling and this book was more than the perfect book to get me started. From techniques, to mindsets, I feel like a different person.

I am more assertive in my business, I feel more confident about everything. It's like Grant Cardone gave me his mind.
Märt
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, reviewed, biz
I spent most of my formative years despising “selling” as a sleazy profession, and I wish I didn’t. Getting people to buy into your small and big ideas is crucial for making any change to this world. Contrary to the “sleazy” salesperson stereotype, most successful people are able to communicate their ideas by articulating the value of the things they believe in to the necessary audience.

Cardone is a pretty "alpha male” kind of sales guy, and has put out a number of books for general public as we
Maxim Shilo
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This great book by Grant Cardone helps you develop habits for becoming a highly effective salesperson. Below I outlined the main points that I took from this book.

As with any summary, I believe it should be used as a refresher, as a list of guiding points that help remember the contents of the book. To fully understand and apply the following points, it is highly recommended to actually read the book. It does not replace the actual experience of reading the book, nor is it intended to.

It is neve
Gediminas Ščipokas
Listened to the audiobook. While there are really great tips for someone new to the idea of sales, there is advice that is not as effective as it is told to be in this book. It is great for starting in sales and quite motivational. It stems from the idea of working hard and doing something daily if you enjoy what you do. Being persistent - this is what success is by the author.
Mark
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full of self-promotion and bluster. But also full of truth and good advice, such as the importance of study, practice, drilling, and repeating and the importance of attitude. I will listen to this again. He's a bit of a wingnut, but his narration was both educational and entertaining, and seemed heartfelt.
Chris Prine jr.
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Great book for getting you motivated and a few good tips on direction. However, I felt cheated for buy his book when the majority of the book seemed to be a plug to buy more of his products to learn what you had already purchased.
Justin Reyes
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid advice.
Starts out with a lot of fire, slows down a little past the middle, but hang in there because it’s worth it to get to the end.

“Your ability to do well in life depends on your ability to sell others on the things in which you believe!”
Jeremy
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this principle. It's completely true as you interact with others. Life is all about selling others or being sold on their ideas. Everybody, not just sales people, should read this.
Brandon Still
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have listened to Grant Cardone through podcasts, videos, and in person. The way he delivers his messages may seem over the top for some, but always seem to provide so much value for everyone who listens. In this book, Grant illustrates that everything we do in life requires selling. You are either the one selling, or being sold to and it is important to note the challenges of it, and how to overcome these challenges as well as the level of commitment it takes to achieve the things you want in ...more
Jacek Bartczak
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
There are a couple of practical tips and useful advice but this a motivational book. Cardone's mental approach sometimes could be too pushy but "Sell or be sold" helps structure how to be a proactive and positive salesman.

Helpful when you need motivation.
Gabe Mccauley
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book but Grant Cordone is a massive misogynist and just generally a bit of a knob. Wouldnt treat this as gospel if you want to be a decent human being.
Abe The
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction into marketing as a newbie, great principles to become a great marketer. Highly recommend.
Amanda
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Parts are pretty funny as to how they apply to all areas of life. Dont agree with everything in says but he certainly knows what hes talking about the majority of the time.
George
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book touching upon the very basics of selling. Book full of interesting concepts and techniques that can be applied not just professionally but in all aspects of one's life.
Oliver
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: skimmed
This book is good for people who cold call, or who sell used cars or who are very passive sellers and need something to rev them up.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, none of those fit me.

Grant has a lot of good things to teach but this felt like the same things I've heard (from him) before. Maybe that's not a bad thing, but I didn't enjoy it a great deal.

As much as this is a good book, I also think Grant's style of selling needs a little more nuance, a little more calibration, a little more
Daniel Maldonado
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, it offers a lot of value in each one of the points that it touches in the sales process, in addition that we are always sellers therefore we always sell in almost all our life. Highly recommended! It has a very good additional bibliography to complete your learning.
eden
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Not a lot of selling books focus on the mindset of selling and give great methods to become great sales man/woman.
I found it also amazing that he didn’t put any kind of manipulation techniques but how to do sell In am ethical way. :) a must read for developing the right mindset for selling!
Waseem
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the better sales book I’ve listened to in a while. This is not just a “how to in sales” - but too, also a “how to about succeeding in life” which itself requires you to “sell” many things beyond just in a business sense - such as selling your ideas, way of thinking, wants and needs etc - to ultimately fulfil your goals - Grant Cardone is one of the best when it comes to teaching this...

To Our Continued Success!
Waseem Mirza
Renier
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!
Adam
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything in you do in your life is a commission. Sharpen the blade, read this book!

Nuggets of Truth:

Bust fear!
How can we do it now, not how can't we do it.
What is your value proposition? If you don't know it I guarantee you can't sell it.
I commit to being the most positive person I know.
Success grenade.
Read the closers survival guide.
All of my confidence comes from my ability to close a deal.
Thanks for taking the time to see me today. What information can I provide you with me make the b
Chris Tucker
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You do not have to be a salesperson to get huge value from this book. I loved the perspective that everyone is ultimately a salesperson. No matter if it is our personal or professional life we are selling something to someone. I would suggest this book to a stay at home mom or a business exec. Great principles that can be applied in a variety of situations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Way of the Wolf: Become a Master Closer with Straight Line Selling
  • The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • The Art of Closing the Sale: The Key to Making More Money Faster in the World of Professional Selling
  • SELL LIKE CRAZY: How to Get As Many Clients, Customers and Sales As You Can Possibly Handle
  • Objections: The Ultimate Guide for Mastering The Art and Science of Getting Past No
  • Never Split the Difference
  • Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become Your Greatest Competitive Advantage
  • Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Véndele a la mente, no a la gente
  • Must vöö müügis
  • Rikkaks saamise õpik : teadmised rahast, mida Sulle koolis ei õpetatud!
  • Sell It Like Serhant: How to Sell More, Earn More, and Become the Ultimate Sales Machine
I am a NY Times Best Selling Author, internationally-recognized Sales Training Expert, Business Coach, and the Founder and CEO of 3 businesses: Cardone Training Technologies, Cardone Group, and Twin Capital Management. You may have seen me as the star and co-executive producer of a show, called TurnAround King.

In addition to speaking internationally to individuals, companies, and industry leaders