Start by marking “Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life” as Want to Read:
Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life

Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  2,020 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
The ability to sell others is as critical to your success as food, water and oxygen is to life. While you may think that an exaggeration, every person on this planet is required to sell others on their ideas to advance themselves and their goals. The skill of selling is a MUST for promoting yourself, your business and your ideas. While many think that if they do a better j ...more
Hardcover, Reissue with more info, 256 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Greenleaf Book Group Press (first published November 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sell or Be Sold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell or Be Sold

Daniel Threlfall
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Grant Cardone can be annoying. He can also be motivational. This book was both.

I read his book, the 10x Rule, and loved it. Great stuff. There was a lot of the same in this book, but the emphasis was on selling. The big idea is: 1) Everyone sells, 2) You should do a better job at it, and 3) Here's how.

There were some good gems — the ethical necessity of making sales, the importance of persistence, a strategy for time management, etc.

Cardone's approach is more "RA-RA-RA!" than it is "Let me prov
Joe
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version.

I didn’t like the focus on:
• People who like to save money are cheap – spending money on quality goods that last is wise, but buying in to the ideology of consumerism and purchasing things you don’t need and can’t afford on credit is irresponsible, a leading cause of stress, unhappiness and unlikely to be the right financial decision for anyone who wants to be a responsible parent
• Meditation is pointless nonsense – I assume Grant has not read any of the hundr
Belal Khan
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I bought this book after having read an article by the author. I felt the article had some real value to offer, so I figured the book would be chalk full of such value.

Turns out the entire book is simply self hype and rah-rah. The thing that rubbed me the wrong way is how is basically puts down some other authors and practices in psychology and sales. It's one thing to have an opinion, but he comes off as a clown of sort.

Oh, and the fact that he raves about "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard is a r
Julia
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grant Cardone is not a professional full-time writer. He is a salesman, a billionaire, a business owner, a great leader and mentor and motivational speaker. So please stop complaining about the misspellings or his style of writing, this is not a literary work to admire for its complexity or use of the language resources to tell a story, you're missing the point. This book is about learning from a guy who used to be like you and me and figured out how the world works and made it work to his advan ...more
Brad Henderson
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
My reviews are typically very close to the reviews of the Goodreads community so I was surprised to find how bad this book was. Grant Cardone is incredibly annoying. Everything he says is anectodtal, and he uses extreme examples to make blanket claims about how to be a successful salesperson.

He also encourages going into debt and convincing others to go into debt for the products you're selling. And apparently frugal people make terrible salespeople.

Half of the book was common sense and the othe
Cody
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's a Salesperson

Sell or Be Sold starts out with the interesting thesis that everyone is in sales. Whether you're a doctor selling your skill set, a entrepreneur selling your business, or a traditional salesperson selling your product you're in sales.

Cardone tells of his rise through the sales world from a car salesman to a business owner; including what he calls he's biggest sale, he's wife. He outlines a basic sales process: "the only sales process you will ever need" and shares what he
Maxim Shilo
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This great book by Grant Cardone helps you develop habits for becoming a highly effective salesperson. Below I outlined the main points that I took from this book.

As with any summary, I believe it should be used as a refresher, as a list of guiding points that help remember the contents of the book. To fully understand and apply the following points, it is highly recommended to actually read the book. It does not replace the actual experience of reading the book, nor is it intended to.

It is neve
Mark
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full of self-promotion and bluster. But also full of truth and good advice, such as the importance of study, practice, drilling, and repeating and the importance of attitude. I will listen to this again. He's a bit of a wingnut, but his narration was both educational and entertaining, and seemed heartfelt.
Anthony
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about selling and this book was more than the perfect book to get me started. From techniques, to mindsets, I feel like a different person.

I am more assertive in my business, I feel more confident about everything. It's like Grant Cardone gave me his mind.
Justin Reyes
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid advice.
Starts out with a lot of fire, slows down a little past the middle, but hang in there because it’s worth it to get to the end.

“Your ability to do well in life depends on your ability to sell others on the things in which you believe!”
Jack Oughton
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
"Don't have lunch with someone unless there's a chance they'll buy something from you"

ok
Jeremy
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this principle. It's completely true as you interact with others. Life is all about selling others or being sold on their ideas. Everybody, not just sales people, should read this.
Jacek Bartczak
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
There are a couple of practical tips and useful advice but this a motivational book. Cardone's mental approach sometimes could be too pushy but "Sell or be sold" helps structure how to be a proactive and positive salesman.

Helpful when you need motivation.
Gabe Mccauley
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book but Grant Cordone is a massive misogynist and just generally a bit of a knob. Wouldnt treat this as gospel if you want to be a decent human being.
George
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book touching upon the very basics of selling. Book full of interesting concepts and techniques that can be applied not just professionally but in all aspects of one's life.
Waseem
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the better sales book I’ve listened to in a while. This is not just a “how to in sales” - but too, also a “how to about succeeding in life” which itself requires you to “sell” many things beyond just in a business sense - such as selling your ideas, way of thinking, wants and needs etc - to ultimately fulfil your goals - Grant Cardone is one of the best when it comes to teaching this...

To Our Continued Success!
Waseem Mirza
Adam
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything in you do in your life is a commission. Sharpen the blade, read this book!

Nuggets of Truth:

Bust fear!
How can we do it now, not how can't we do it.
What is your value proposition? If you don't know it I guarantee you can't sell it.
I commit to being the most positive person I know.
Success grenade.
Read the closers survival guide.
All of my confidence comes from my ability to close a deal.
Thanks for taking the time to see me today. What information can I provide you with me make the b
Vicho
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Para una persona que no está familiarizada con el mundo de las ventas, considero que es un buen punto de partida, pues quita el mito existente entorno a esta profesión y nos brinda las herramientas necesarias para todo lo que deseemos alcanzar en nuestras vidas. Siento que el libro sirve también como motivador a todo aquel que desee emprender un negocio, con una desahuevina al 100%.
Definitivamente buscaré más libros del autor.
Checa mi video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9BycgWP9UM
Daniel
Jan 20, 2017
Mary Augustyn
Oh Yeah, I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago. Grant is an awesome writer and I learned lots from reading his book! Just can't remember it all at the moment. Darn I really need to start taking notes when I read... One of the things that I really learned from Grant is that I have been brainwashed into thinking the way I think and that I have to retrain my brain to think positive instead of negative. He also said that I have to stay away from negative people because the deprogram me i ...more
Chris Prine jr.
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Great book for getting you motivated and a few good tips on direction. However, I felt cheated for buy his book when the majority of the book seemed to be a plug to buy more of his products to learn what you had already purchased.
Devin
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Notes
Selling is essential to the survival and well-being of every living. (p.1).
Businesses fail first and foremost because their ideas weren't sold quickly enough and in quantities great enough, and therefore they ran out of money (p.2).
Every time you get your way, you've just been paid a commission (p.3). Not all payments are monetary.

The whole subject of money is full of false data, most of which are passed on by people who give advice on money but don't have any themselves (p.6).
The most
Scott
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, business
Just as the saying goes you are unable to escape two things in life, death and taxes. Grant Cardone the author and narrator of “Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life” says all people can be categorized in one of two people. Those who will be sold or those doing the selling. Every event in your daily lives involves people attempting to sell you on ideas, products, brands, and what clothes to wear as a few examples. Or, you are selling people on who you are, why they should ...more
J.P.
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que inicié leyendo éste libro un poco escéptico, ya que antes de leerlo, me puse a ver unos vídeos sobre el autor y me daba la impresión de ser un charlatán, como uno de esos que es tan común encontrar cuando se habla del tema de ventas, pero al momento de leer el libro se fue disipando esa idea y, la verdad, es que saqué buenas conclusiones una vez terminada su lectura.

¿De qué trata el libro?

Como cabe deducir, el libro es sobre ventas, pero lo interesante en éste, es que el autor c
Cullen Haynes
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Become so sold, so convinced, so committed to your company, product, and service that you believe it would be a terrible thing for the buyer to do business anywhere else with any other product.” - Grant Cardone

Whether it's selling your company's solution to the board of a prospective client or selling yourself and your partner on the benefit of exercise, everything in life can - and rightly so - be treated as a sale. And while this book will be widely read by millions of sales people (I have no
Rosalind Smith
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read many of the comments and have summized, this book is NOT for everyone. The world is full of average, mediocore and "normal" people going through the motions of life. This book is great for anyone who is or wants to be and do MORE!!!

The audio is ideal. Grant Cardone has a big personality. He shares his strategy to success which sets him APART. He shares his approach and his "Wow" factor.
1) believe in your product AND yourself
2) own/use your product (critical in sales)
3) It is YOUR resp
Darrin
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, it is hard to argue with his logic and his unabashed way of telling you that you need to stop being lazy and disorganized in your sales process and approach and to stop making excuses for yourself and just take action. On the other hand, I was put off by his complete self-hype and his relentless hawking of his other products and services that he and his "multiple successful built-from-scratch" companies offer. I get it, you've done well for you ...more
Petr Bela
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible-us
After very sales-y and motivational two leading chapters (and the extra few-hours-long motivational monologue at the end of the audiobook), the book actually gives some good tips on how to approach sales, or, in general, any situation where you want people to convince people. The key, still, is that it should always end in a win-win situation: the goal is to find what the other person wants and then offer them the solution to their problem.

Notable quotes:
- Second money is easier to get than firs
Joshua
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to make this clear, this is an INCREDIBLE resource for sales professionals, but this is a CRUCIAL AND MUST READ for anyone and everyone in any industry or of ANY walk of life.

The simple premise of this book is understanding that in life, at any given moment, you are either selling someone (on an idea, a product, your way, etc) or you are being sold. Understanding the art of getting your way in life (as simple as getting your children to bed and not having them convince you they should st
Luis Enrique
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Leí el libro en dos partes, la primera mitad hace 3 meses y la otra mitad estos días, y extrañamente tuve una impresión opuesta del libro al leerlo así, me imagino hace dos meses no estaba muy en el mood de este tipo de libros porque recuerdo que no me estaba gustando nada y por eso lo dejé en stand by sin embargo ahora que lo retome me ha entretenido y gustado mucho. En general es un libro escrito por un exitoso empresario que te da las claves para ser exitoso en el mundo de las ventas, y como ...more
  • Building an Empire:The Most Complete Blueprint to Building a Massive Network Marketing Business
  • Twelve Pillars
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Rascal: Making a Difference by Becoming an Original Character
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Redirecting Children's Behavior
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender
  • Freedom Shift: 3 Choices to Reclaim America's Destiny
  • The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Rachael Ray: Just in Time: All-New 30-Minutes Meals, plus Super-Fast 15-Minute Meals and Slow It Down 60-Minute Meals
  • Why You're Dumb, Sick and Broke...and How to Get Smart, Healthy and Rich!
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook: The Ultimate Guide to the Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet
I am a NY Times Best Selling Author, internationally-recognized Sales Training Expert, Business Coach, and the Founder and CEO of 3 businesses: Cardone Training Technologies, Cardone Group, and Twin Capital Management. You may have seen me as the star and co-executive producer of a show, called TurnAround King.

In addition to speaking internationally to individuals, companies, and industry leaders

Nonfiction Deals

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Poor Your Soul: A Memoir
    $9.99 $1.99
“Become so sold, so convinced, so committed to your company, product, and service that you believe it would be a terrible thing for the buyer to do business anywhere else with any other product.” 4 likes
“There will be times when you’ll have to handle the buyer on money. Sometimes I remind a person, “While I agree it’s a lot of money for a gift, there’s no shortage of money on this planet. But there is a shortage of people who’ve found the love of their life and who know how to show their appreciation for that person. Be grateful you’ve got someone to love. Now, how would you like to handle this?” Now that’s selling! If the buyer is totally convinced it’s right, he will chew off his own foot to have it!” 2 likes