Start by marking “One Dangerous Lady” as Want to Read:
One Dangerous Lady

One Dangerous Lady

(Jo Slater #2)

No one brings alive the intrigues of the champagne set like Jane Stanton Hitchcock. Now Jo Slater, the wily heroine of her bestselling novel Social Crimes, returns in a dazzling new story of passion, money, and murder. Jo Slater has it all. The queen of Manhattan society, she has dealt successfully with a tricky period in which she lost her husband, her fortune, and her re ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged, 300 pages
Published July 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about One Dangerous Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dangerous Lady

Start your review of One Dangerous Lady
Beth Pearson
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This story starts out with 2 filthy rich 50-something women nursing hangovers on the balcony of a villa in Barbados. The BFF's daughter is getting married and we hear the friend griping about the pain of destination weddings, visiting other filthy stinking rich people in their mansions, etc. Kind of an annoying story and I almost quit reading it.

Instead I flipped open to a random page where a woman was confiding to a journalist-friend of her past involvement in someone's death, details of black
Eadie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, audio-1000
I listened to this audio for an Around the World challenge for the location of Barbados. It was a great look at the rich and powerful people in New York society and how they act. It was well-written and suspense-filled with plot twists and turns and a surprise ending. I found many of the characters quite humorous which made the book very entertaining. It has all the elements of a great summer beach read: murder, mystery, scandal and intrigue. I highly recommend this book to those who love light ...more
Devon
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Socialite Jo Slater is back in Jane Stanton-Hitchcock's follow up to 'SOCIAL CRIMES' and after falling from grace Jo once again reigns supreme over New York's social scene. However, once again Jo finds that someone else is vying for her spot amongst the social elite. This time it is the wife of missing billionaire Russell Cole.

On a trip to Barbados to attend his goddaughters wedding Russell Cole goes missing from his palatial yacht. Not wanting to declare him dead, wife, Carla uses Russell's abu
Elyse Rudin
A 3 1/2. This is the third book I’ve read by this author and I really enjoyed this book as well. Jo Slater a wealthy widow in her 50’s living in New York gets involved with the disappearance of her good friend’s and recently remarried ex husband. Did his current wife kill him to get to his fortune or is he alive somewhere as he is prone to disappear due to his psychological disorder? Every one in this novel is ridiculously wealthy and there first world problems are fun to read about. Not a must ...more
Joanne Mawhirt
I found in this book that there were too many descriptive paragraphs, meaning you could easily follow the story line by reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and still keep up without feeling like you have missed anything.
Plus I felt the story line was predictable, therefore not really keeping you interested.
Edie Light
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this book! It’s been a long time since I stayed up to 12:40 a.m. to finish a book. I love the characters, the angst, the imagination of the author. I would love to have the author over for dinner one night. I think we could be great friends. Highly recommend, but you need to read Social Crimes first.
Khanson919
Lauren Smith
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this enthralling thriller with so many twists and turns! There was so much to the story. It wasn't an easily predictable murder plot, but had an ending that no one could see coming.
Caroline
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #2 in the Jo Slater series is another winner! I literally could not put this book down. Just when you thought the privileged set could not possibly get any crazier, they take it up another notch. Can't wait for Book #3!!
Anita Dormer
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comeback story worth reading if social crimes got under your skin like it did mine
Just fun reading and not so far off from the truth of high society nyc and Europe —maybe even a little toned down ! Mystery for the summer
G Lockridge
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New York society, money, scandal and murder. What more does a story need?
Christine Grant
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich and famous of New York society. Carla Cole seems to get everything she wants...but is she a murderer? Cute mystery. 3.5
Donna
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd in this series about a NYC socialite who keeps getting involved inmurder
Lauren
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Second in a series, which I did not realize so I didnt understand some references.
Connie
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ONE DANGEROUS LADY by Jane Stanton Hitchcock is 406 pages in trade paperback form. This is a stand alone as far as I could tell about the book.

Brief Description:

THE HIGHER THE SOCIETY, THE LOWER THE FALL...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a widow in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a husband. Being such a widow, I'm a little more skeptical Just as I'm skeptical of those who say that doing something once makes it easier to do a second time, such as skydiving or buying a
Susan Ferguson
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, mystery, fiction
Interesting book and premise. The quote at the beginning "The social ramble ain't restful. - Satchel Paige

You've got to like a book that begins thusly:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a widow in possession f a good fortune must be in want of a husband. Or so all my friends constantly tell me."
Jo Slater is a queen of New York society. Her best friend Betty's daughter is getting married in Barbados and Jo has been invited to stay with her for the festivities and the wedding. Betty want
MBenzz
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. After reading and loving 'Social Crimes', I couldn't wait to get a hold of this book. I was thrilled when I received it for Christmas and breezed through it in a couple of days.

In this tale, the Grand Dame of the New York social set, Jo Slater, reacquaints us with all her friends and foes. And after the disastrous wedding of her best friends daughter, she finds herself in the middle of another social mystery and is again fighting to keep her place as the reigning quee
Nancy
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jane Stanton Hitchcock's saucy, snarky society novels are light and lethal like a glass (or three) of nice champagne.

Prospective readers should accept this book for what it is---good, nasty fun. NOT contemporary literature, but a great read. As Hitchcock's characters hop from one over-the-top party to the next, the reader looking for "more" can contemplate the frailty of friendship, the brutality of boardrooms (non-profit, of course), and the determination of dames to climb the social ladder. Y
Carol
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
o Synopsis: Jo Slater is in Barbados, preoccupied by the notion of a new romance with a dashing English lord, when Russell Cole, a fabulously wealthy art collector, disappears from his yacht. Jo suspects that Russell's wife knows a great deal more about her husband's disappearance than she is letting on. Back in New York, Jo discovers that a figure from her own past continues to put her at great risk and that neither the urbane lord nor her missing friend's wife is what they appear to be.
Another
Samantha
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the unabridged audiobook. After slogging through many chapters mostly devoted to a supposedly funny portrayal of NYC "high" society, I skipped chapters 22-34 and didn't feel as if I missed a thing. The only mystery in the novel was how long it would take the author to reveal the obvious. The only character I found interesting was unfortunately killed off. The reader, Barbara Rosenblat, however, was excellent, one of a very few I've heard who can do voices of the opposite gender cre ...more
Sabine
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun! Not high literature, granted, but excellently written entertainment. Pleasurable read throughout. Some of characters' lines made me laugh out loud!
Thank God for "Goodreads" and "Kindle"! I read two of her books years past (pre-Kindle years), highly enjoyed them, and couldn't find any more in the bookstores.... Nice surprise to see on line that Stanton Hitchcock has written quite a few more stories - I am looking forward to reading them!
Debra
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know it is always a risk to judge a book by its cover but Laura and I were willing to take this risk when we saw the hot lady on the cover of the book. She was so enticing we could not wait until she appeared on softcover. And it was worth the risk. This book was a cross between chick lit and Agatha Christie and I thoroughly enjoyed this modern mystery.
Fran
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this "easy read" book. Since I liked the authors writing style, I looked for others by the same author. I discovered that this book was actually a sequel to the next I read entitltled "Social Crimes". Still enjoyed it but I knew the outcome before I finished it so read this book AFTER reading "Social Crimes"
Asia
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Read it" as an audiobook. Great narrator. Not only was I looking forward to my daily work commute so that I can listen to this "page turner" but I even finished it.

Suspenseful and great writing. Not predictable like many books out there. Portrays a realistic picture of the upper-class Manhattan society.

(Book Checked out on 6-17-12)
Amber
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
This book was an easy read and kept me wanting more. If you like books about swanky, extreme upper-class, snooty, gossiping women, then this book is for you. I highly recommend it as a book to read while on vacation.
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good follow up to Social Crimes. It's not necessary to read the first before this one. There are a few mentions of the previous novel, but this is a stand alone novel. Very good - and well worth the read.
Lindsay
Another page turning book by Hitchcock. This book combines the upper-class life--the yachts, the parties, the clothes, the customs--with tremendous suspense and one of the greatest women characters, Jo Slater.
Make sure to read the prequel Social Crimes.
Meghan
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not good. It didn't keep my attention and it wasn't entertaining at all. Plus the author isn't good, she apparently doesn't have capable editors because I found a lot of mistakes. I figured the story out from the beginning and wasn't shocked by any of it.
Kimberly
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Oh my gosh! Was this a good book!!!! I listened to the audio cd while driving. I seriously considered sitting in my car all night to hear it- that wouldn’t be weird would it?! It was so- good! See I’ve said nothing about the story- ha! Of course, I highly recommend it!
Lucy
Jul 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beach book -- quick and entertaining.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder in an English Village (Beryl and Edwina Mystery #1)
  • Hitches, Hideouts, & Homicides (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #7)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #11)
  • River of Our Return
  • Forests, Fishing, & Forgery (A Camper & Criminals Cozy Mystery #3)
  • Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • Potions and Pastries (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • Summer of '79: A Summer of '69 Story
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Witches Get Stitches (Witchless in Seattle #9)
  • Stranger in the Lake
  • Deserts, Driving, & Derelicts (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #2)
  • Multiple Exposure (Sophie Medina, #1)
  • The Lions of Fifth Avenue
  • Beaches, Bungalows, and Burglaries (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #1)
  • Witch Way Did He Go? (Witchless in Seattle #8)
  • Good Witch Hunting (Witchless in Seattle, #7)
Bestselling author Jane Stanton Hitchcock was born and raised in New York City, where she led a seemingly privileged life. Early on, she learned the trappings of wealth and fame are not nearly all they are cracked up to be, themes she has since explored in screenplays, stage plays, and novels dealing with murder and mayhem in high places.

Best known for her mystery novels, Jane is also an avid pok

Jo Slater (2 books)
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)

News & Interviews