Start by marking “The Winking Ruby Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Winking Ruby Mystery

The Winking Ruby Mystery (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, First Set #19)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"Save Carlo . . . winking ruby . . . hurry!" This plea uttered by Gino, a mysterious violinist, just before he lapses into a coma, launch Jean and Louise Dana on their first exciting adventure in Europe. Is the mysterious "ruby" a gem, a girl, or part of a secret code?" The Danas must find out—and fast—because a life is at stake.

Danger stalks the young detectives from the
Published January 1st 1974 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Winking Ruby Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winking Ruby Mystery

Gwennie
Apr 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, mystery
I found the Dana girls because I'd read through all the Nancy Drew books in my local library. Answers the question--What if Nancy Drew had a couple of sisters... and they solved crimes?
Stef Woods
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was the first Dana girls mystery I have read and although it promised to be a thrilling adventure, I felt a lack of detailing in the book let it down somewhat. Many characters were introduced and simply left, all too many characters in my humble opinion. I seem to remember having the same feeling about the first Nancy Drew book that I read (these two are of course are written by the same author!) still a nice quick and easy read if nothing else, some of the timings and aspects of the myster ...more
Sarah Crawford
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Dana Girls are doing something very unusual and that is taking a trip to England and other countries. They are going on the boat their Uncle captains, the Balaska.

It doesn't take long for things to go bad, though, what with a poisonous snake, a lost ring, a very bad storm and some rather nasty people including two saying they are hypnotists. The girls are even accused of theft!

The journey continues through Rome, Florence and Germany as the mystery gets deeper and the danger to them increases
Deb
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading this series...find the stories charming albeit terribly predictable with all the convenient coincidences cropping up at just the right moment. This particular story was set abroad which was an added bit of fun for us.
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Dana girls attempt to solve a mystery from a strange message
Kara
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood
Not Nancy Drew or Trixie B. but neat cause they were sisters. This particular one is a good story.
Linda
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Have to say, this series so far is way better than Nancy Drew! I like Nancy Drew but sometimes she gets on my nerves.
Debra
I loved this series of books that I read back in junior high. They are from the same syndicate that wrote the Nancy Drew books and the Hardy Boys, but I much preferred the Dana Girls.
Jessaka
Jul 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene

The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, First Set (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • By the Light of the Study Lamp (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Secret at Lone Tree Cottage (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Tower (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #3)
  • A Three-Cornered Mystery (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret at the Hermitage (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Circle of Footprints (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Locked Room (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #7)
  • The Clue in the Cobweb (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Secret at the Gatehouse (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #9)
  • The Mysterious Fireplace (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #10)