Start by marking “Goblin Moon” as Want to Read:
Goblin Moon

Goblin Moon (The Goblin Moon Duology #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
GUNPOWDER AND ALCHEMY! When the Goblin Moon rises, strange things happen. Coffins float down the river, hobgoblins crawl out from their dens, alchemists pore over ancient texts in search of the art of creating life ... and one man fights a secret battle against cruelty and injustice, with wit, ingenuity, and a lethal lack of compunction.
Published September 1st 2011 by Lulu.com (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Goblin Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblin Moon

T.I.M. James
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goblin Moon is a book on a second lease of life. Originally published some time ago, and only to a state side audience it has now been reissued, making use of modern technologies, in both a physical and e-book format, and made available to the whole world, which can only be a good thing.

This is a fantasy book, but a fantasy book with a difference. The norm for fantasy seems to be set in a near medieval society, no real technology well we all know...

Goblin Moon bucks that trend giving a fantasy s
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

This book was recommended to me as a proto-Steampunk. Since there are one, maybe two, elements remotely Steampunkish (i.e. clockwork musicians), and they are mentioned only in passing, I'd say it's very "proto".

So much for what it's not. What it is is a pretty decent story that reminded me of Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner, what with the multiple character perspectives, and the politics and intrigue, and this one's conning that one who's tricking that one, so on and so forth. Except this one re
❀⊱Rory⊰❀
If you enjoyed A Darker Shade of Magic, The Lies of Locke Lamora or Sorcery and Cecilia, you'll enjoy this story.
Derek
I'd like to compare it to The Scarlet Pimpernel, possibly with a bit of Solomon Kane, but as yet haven't read either of those. It's definitely going for a fantasy of manners with swashbuckle elements, set in an analog of 18th century Europe--Euterpe?--on a fantasy Earth. That setting concept in itself was enough to attract my attention, because the usual Medieval mash-up of most fantasy gets tiresome and it's nice to see a mash-up of some other time period.

The story is loosely bound, with a numb
Alice
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that this book is now available on Kindle. It was issued in paperback by Ace in 1991 and is not easily found. It is exactly such gems like GOBLIN MOON that elevate Kindle and other E-Books into their highest purpose. To make availible to all books from the past.

This is a meticulouly researched book is set in a fantasy world equivalent to Poland/Bohemia/Germany in the late 1700's. (Think Geo.Washington: powdered hair, red court heels for men, face patches.) It is not Medieval or Rege
Noel Coughlan
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
This is a fantasy novel set in a world of Men, dwarves, gnomes and fairies, but instead of the usual medieval period setting, the milieu is more akin to the eighteenth century. The period detail is fantastic and the writing is sumptuous. The characters are well drawn. There’s an alchemist-turned-bookseller struggling dabbling in the dark arts. There’s his niece who must defend her cousin from her from the eccentric medical plots of her overbearing mother. And then, there’s a dashing Scarlet Pimp ...more
Steven Poore
An elegant fantasy of intricate parts and faultless manners, in which Seramarias Vorder must defend the honour of her cousin Elsie against the predations of Jarl Skogra and the Duchess of Zar-Wildungen. Set against the backdrop of an alternate middle-Europe, where fashion and patronage rub shoulders with dwarfs, necromancy and Pimpernel-esque derring-do, Goblin Moon takes quite a while to really get going, but Teresa Edgerton draws her world and characters with such fine detail that you'll find ...more
ala
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this one, but maybe almost entirely for the supporting hero, Skelbrooke, who is something of a cross between Percy Blakely and... a schizophrenic, drug addict with a noble streak (having trouble thinking of a second apt comparison -- perhaps speaking to this character's uniqueness.) Although the steam-punk setting is pretty cool, the mystery itself, was not particularly gripping, and the scenes without either Skelbrooke or the heroine tended to drag.

I tried reading the follow-up no
Lee
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A highly enjoyable romp though an alternate Regency England, where humans, Half blood faeries and gnomes and dwarfs (not entirely sure what the difference is between the last 2) co-exist peacefully, where magic and alchemy are practised, where blood drinking, flesh eating trolls disguise themselves as humans and mix in high society and where hobgoblins are to be watched out for when the moon is full.
It has excitement, humour, genuinely creepy/disturbing moments and even some touches of Georgette
Chris
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! It was a great surprise as I purchased it for 75 cents at a used bookstore and, if you go by the old adage "you get what you pay for", I guess I didn't expect much out of it. It has an old-world, victorian feel to it, and I liked the fact that it centered mainly around two young ladies who tried to remain sensible and proper amidst the intrigue and mystery that develops in a town inhabited by humans, fae, gnomes, goblins, and trolls. It was a fun read!
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
A bit disappointing. The writing was fine with the exception of plot and pacing, which is a bit of a problem. One set piece was pulled off semi-successfully, the rest rather fell flat, they was a super-abundance of characters and sub-plots and the book would have benefited greatly by having about half the amount. Most of the book felt like set-up, and when I realised (I was on an e-reader) that I had about 10 minutes left, I was stunned--thought I was maybe 60% of the way through--but no, it all ...more
J.L. Dobias
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Gaslight Romance fans
Shelves: book-shelf-09
Goblin Moon: Mask and Dagger 1 by Teresa Edgerton

I read this novel a while ago and when I saw that the e-book was being re-released by a new publisher I thought I'd check to see if some problems had been taken care of.

This is an excellent read in many senses and it might be considered typical for what they refer to as GasLight Fantasy and GasLight Romance. And it has some very long sentences. I love long sentences and I especially love them when crafted well. This novel has plenty to whet the
Laura of Lurking
Strong language: Some, mild
Drugs: None
Violence: Some, infrequent
Sexual content: None

I was given a copy of this novel by Tickety Boo Press in return for an unbiased review.

Imagine a smattering of Charles Dickens's lyrical phrasing, such as from The Cricket on the Hearth, with a pinch of Terry Pratchett's character design set into a world both of the high society of Downton Abby, with frocks and suits at every occasion, and the grizzled backstreets of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files where you can feel
Andy Angel
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First things first, let me just say I was offered a copy of this book (by Tickety Boo Press) in exchange for a fair and honest review. The book is a re-issue (originally published in 1991) but has aged well and does not feel out of place in today's market. The actual writing style (and believe me, Ms. Edgerton has a very sumptuous prose style) means the story reads like one of the classics. Imagine, if you will, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Terry Pratchett writing together (with possibly a h ...more
Stephen Palmer
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which various Gentlemen and Ladies of Society become involved in Fee Occurrences

In an alternate Teutonic land somewhere near an alternate Russia, inhabited by persons of gentility, some craftsmen, tradesmen and such, and by a dirty, uncouth underbelly of peasants and sundry unmentionables, Francis Skelbrooke – Lord of much that is not initially revealed – finds himself entangled in a plot hatched by various nonhuman characters. These latter persons are stock of dwarves, gnomes, and even the F
Paula
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
First of a two-part series (concluding in Hobgoblin Night: Mask and Dagger 2 ), there's nothing particularly ground-breaking going on in Goblin Moon but what's there is done so competently you find yourself not caring about that.

Like many fantasy novels, Goblin Moon is set in a faux-Regency world of heiresses, mysterious guilds and masked balls, but one where dwarves and fairies (known as the Fee) live alongside humans in relative harmony. For much of the book there are effectively two story-l
Brownbetty
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the all-too-rare inhabitants of the fantasy of manners genre, and a bit like reading a Georgette Heyer where the McGuffin just happens to be magical. What could be better than secret assignations, swordsmen, and masked balls? All of the above plus magic, obviously.

Edgerton handles the large cast with ease, possibly because the reader is already familiar with the principles: there is the Rake, the Ageing Belle, the Feisty Heroine, etc., but quite three dimensional.

I have actually read Edge
J.L. Dobias
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-shelf-08
I acquired Goblin Moon by Teresa Edgerton recently in E-book format. I found it to be entertaining.

If you are a fan of Dumas, Dickens, and Tolkien. You'll love this. Add a bit of Shelly and you round it out.

The richness of description of the world of the Goblin Moon are reminiscent of Charles Dickens. While the lead Female character would be likened to Little Dorrit. The depth of intrigue is similar to the work of Alexander Dumas. The Male lead is in someways like the Count of Monte Cristo. Thro
K. Bird Lincoln
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who likes detailed, fantastical world settings or a kind of regency feel to a story, this story totally would satisfy.

It's kind of a cross between a world like Pride and Prejudice where the women's fates really do depend on who they marry, and a kind of darkish fantasy world-building reminiscent of China Mieville's work, as well as a subdued romance.

I liked it very much. My only quibbles were the open ending that did not resolve some emotional and plot arcs (I know, I know, first in
Adobe
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the waxing moon brings out plagues of goblins in the city of Thornburg, an alchemist searches for the secret of life, a fairy godmother conspires against her ward, and a masked man disrupts the meetings of secret covens.

Goblin Moon possesses fabulous atmosphere and wooden characters. Which is a shame, considering the novel's wryly ornate prose ("Chained to the seat beside him was a sad-faced miniature indigo ape with a jeweled collar"), chapter titles ("Chapter Ten: Which the Sensitive Rea
Joy
I came across this out-of-print fantasy of manners at Half Price Books, and snapped it up, because I've had trouble tracking it down before. It's a novel with several intertwined subplots: a bookseller and his crony find a coffin filled with rare books (and other things), a vigilante takes on magical evildoers under the guise of an aristocratic fop, a strong-willed young lady tries to save her cousin from making a disastrous marriage. I wish the different subplots had come together a little bett ...more
Jane
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book, I can see that would definitely appeal to other readers. It had alot of mystery, Interesting plot points and even more interesting characters.

Unfortunately I found the book very uniteresting. I kept skimming chapters, And couldn't find any that held my interest very long.

It, to me, was not written very well. Though I can see how others would enjoy it, I just couldn't find any pleasure in reading it.

It was very slow paced, Which usually I don't mind, But it just didn't have anything
Martin Owton
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange little book this one. The setting with multiple races living in close-knit communities reminds me of nothing so much as Ankh-Morpork, though the tale is not played for laughs. The story has more than a few echoes of a Regency romance. So Terry Pratchett meets Georgette Heyer... yet it works, no so surprising as Georgette Heyer had good plots. The story has a lot of threads and you need to keep your wits about you to follow everything that is going on and the denouement nicely sets up a s ...more
Laylah
I appreciate that the author pulled no punches to preserve the fate of any particular character. That lends some mildly surprising elements to the book of which rhythms are off somehow. The romance itself that comes full force near the end feels forced because of very few interactions between the leads. There are a lot left dangling, and though Goblin Moon doesn't wow me, it intrigues me enough to order the sequel, The Gnome's Engine.
Margaret (Margot)
While I enjoyed this book overall, it really didn't pick up for until 50% and that is why I give it a 3 vs. 4 star rating. The descriptions are very well done, and the story is interesting and unique. I experienced moments of picturing Panem from Hunger Games - that is how descriptive it was. An escape of good versus evil, determining the quality of each character becomes a puzzle for the reader. It was cleverly done but needed a bit more of a pace to keep the reader enthralled.
Cecily

I think I was just not in the mood to start this book. It's not that there is anything to object to and I am sure, in other circumstances I might have enjoyed reading this very much. So I have archived the book in the hope I will come back to it later in a different frame of mind to enter the author's world.
Kristin
I think I preferred this one over the first book. The plot was very obvious in this book. You knew exactly what the characters were doing and for what purpose. Which helped me read to see how the accomplished their goals. I was a little surprised at the Duchess's role in the end...seemed a little deus ex machina for my tastes, but still a good read.
Becca
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this from Ferret. It started off very slowly, and I was worried that it would be so much about society that the plot would never get going. I was wrong. It turned out to be very engaging, and I'd actually like a sequel.
Katie Montgomery
When I started reading this book, I think at one point I literally said, out loud, "This is my jam." And in many, many ways, it was -- but ultimately it was a little draggy and a little unevenly paced, and the characterizations were a little ... hmm ... done. Overall, though. entertaining.
Clarissa
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining well written fantasy. I have greatly decreased how much fantasy I read as so many books just couldn't make me care about the characters. This is not a problem in Goblin Moon. There is intrigue, magic, swashbuckling and a fully realized world.
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1)
  • Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • Ring of Lightning (Dance of the Rings, #1)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • The Red Knight
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Mage Heart (The Chronicles of Dion #1)
  • Moonwise
  • The Death of the Necromancer (Ile-Rien, #2)
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Cygnet (Cygnet, #1-2)
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
  • Memory of Morning
  • Damiano (Damiano, #1)
I believe I began telling stories as soon as I learned to talk. More than sixty years later I am still inventing them.

On paper, my life looks more glamorous than it was in actual fact (most peoples' lives do). My husband and I met at our local Renaissance Faire. I've made and sold puppets, spent twenty years as a professional fortuneteller, worked in a craft store, and been an active member of th
More about Teresa Edgerton...

The Goblin Moon Duology (3 books)
  • The Gnome's Engine