Start by marking “Blueberries for Sal” as Want to Read:

Read Book

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  67,367 ratings  ·  1,350 reviews
Caldecott Honor Book

What happens when Sal and her mother meet a mother bear and her cub? A beloved classic is born!

Kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk! Sal and her mother a picking blueberries to can for the winter. But when Sal wanders to the other side of Blueberry Hill, she discovers a mama bear preparing for her own long winter.  Meanwhile Sal's mother is being followed by a sma
Published September 17th 1948 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Blueberries for Sal, please sign up.

·  67,367 ratings  ·  1,350 reviews

Start your review of Blueberries for Sal
Robin Hobb
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I love the simple black and white illustrations in this book, and the subtle repetition of situations.

Sal and her mother go out to pick blueberries.
Unbeknowst to each other, Mother Bear has also taken her cub out to eat blueberries. And soon there is a mix up on the mountainside . . .

This is a delightful book to read aloud to children, over and over. The illustrations are very evocative of a time that is now past, and yet is always present.
Calista
This mother has nerves of steel. She is missing her baby on a blueberry mountain and she meets a bear and walks around calmly looking for her baby. I guess that's the way to do it.

I think the art is nice - mostly black and white illustrations. The story is interesting and there is quite a bit of tension in it for kids. Two parties go up a hill to pick blueberries and the afternoon gets interesting. It's a solid story and I see it on many lists. I think I like this better than the Caldecott winne
Hilary
A lovely simple tale of a mother and daughter going to pick fruit to preserve for the winter. They are not the only fruit pickers about but it all ends well!

This story certainly struck a chord with me, we always pick as many blackberries as we can for jam and freezing and when my daughter was small, just like Sal, she would eat all she could pick and start on what I had gathered.

This story has wonderful pictures and is a lovely glimpse of a traditional, seasonal, mother and child activity.

Borro
TL
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Itunes recommendation after downloading SnowQueen
Shelves: favorites
The reason I picked this one? Partly for my niece and partly because of:

Our neighbors Helen and Mike (second grandparents really) had five blueberry bushes while we were growing up. Sometimes we would pick blueberries with them and sometimes we get a bowlful after Helen had given her family their share. To this day, they are still my favorite fruit :)

Story: four stars
Narrator: 5 stars

Actual rating 4.5 stars all around <3

A short book but a wonderful and cute story. The narrator does a great job
Ronyell
Blueberries for Sal

“Blueberries for Sal” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Robert McCloskey that is about how Little Sal and Little Bear wandered off from their mothers and ended up with the other’s mother during a day of blueberry picking. “Blueberries for Sal” is a wonderful book that many children will read for many years to come.

Robert McCloskey has done an amazing job at both writing and illustrating this book. Robert McCloskey makes this story extremely cute as it strongly relates to the typical child mix-up sce
Mir
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
When Sal and her mother go blueberrying, they are both too busy picking (or in Sal's case, eating) to keep an eye on one another. Coincidentally, another mother-and-child duo has the same problem at the same time...
La Coccinelle
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I would probably recommend this book only with a caveat: I don't think it's suitable for kids who live in areas where there are actual bears; it could easily give them the wrong idea.

This classic book is about a little girl who goes picking blueberries with her mother. On Blueberry Hill, there's a bit of a mix-up, and Sal ends up following a mama bear while the little bear ends up following Sal's mother! In the book, there's no bloodshed (of course), and the resolution is cute, though somewhat u
Laima
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a charming book! Written in 1948, Blueberries For Sal has received a Caldecott Honor.

I’m surprised I never read this book as a child or even noticed it at the library when my own children were young.

The story surrounds a young girl named Sal who goes blueberry picking with her mother. At the same time a mother bear and her young cub go blueberry eating to prepare for winter. Babies and mothers meet up unexpectedly.

The adventures of little Sal and the baby bear while hunting for blueberrie
Mary
Jul 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people and animals who like berries
Shelves: childrens, readalouds
First of all, Sal looks like my most vivid memories of my sister when she was that age, so I love her.

Second of all, what's not to love about a story of mistaken identity set in a blueberry patch?

Third...Kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk.

'nuff said.

Oh...a nice addition to my unit on using prior knowledge to make predictions and help yourself understand a story. "Boys and girls, what kinds of animals like to eat blueberries?"
Diz
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The illustrations in this book, from the detailed kitchen scene to the wide open hillside scenes, are beautiful. The author points out similarities between humans and animals when it comes to the behavior of mothers and children.
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Caldecott Honor: 1949
Precious. This story brings back childhood memories for me. I grew up on a small farm that had a large blueberry patch that grew bountiful crops of berries each year. I can still hear that kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk from dropping those juicy berries into my pail. I will admit; I did eat a lot of berries like Sal, too.
Karen
3.5! cute as heck
Dolly
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story to read, with mirroring tales of the mamas and their babies. I like that it's illustrated in only black and white; the drawings are very vivid. And the story is fun, too, even though that situation in real life might end up being a sad story. Our girls enjoyed it too and it made me hungry for blueberries, yum!

Samantha
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful story!
Sheila Majczan
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this one to my children many times as we had three large and very productive blueberry bushes and would go out in the morning and pick berries for our cereal.
Vivian
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Confession. This is one of my favorite books EV-ER. Read this any time of year, but especially in late summer or early fall, before or after a berry-picking or berry-buying excursion. Anyone who has ever picked berries in the wild will relate to this little larger-than-life adventure.

I treasure all those drives up into the hills of the Targhee National Forest with my mom, aunts, sisters, and cousins where we hiked into the huckleberry patches and heard the ping-ping-ping of berries hitting the
Eyehavenofilter
I think I have read this book at least 30 times and I have bought 10 copies of it for friends out of state. It is a must for anyone who has ever, lived in, worked in, visited, had realatives who live here, have a summer home in, or want to retires to the state of Maine. I remember having this as a small child. I still have my original copy. It is now biegy-grey, well worn, loved, and tattered. I cannot part with it. If I could give it 10 stars I would.
It is Maine, it is blueberry picking, it is
Kritika Swarup
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember how I used to sit beside my mother while she would peel the peas out of the pea-pod and place them in a container for cooking and I would peel them off to eat the peas, contributing a few only when she gave me the look :P

Two things make this a great children book:
1) Using symmetry in prose
2) Showing how children are fearless unlike adults
So true! :)
Lynn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We're mixing classics with the wonderful new books these days and this is another favorite of my sons that is also loved by my grandsons. Little Sal and Little Bear mix up their mothers on Blueberry Hill and we loved the plink, plank plunk of the blueberries into the pail.
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
My current three-year-old is always resistant to hearing this story read aloud to him, however, I talked him into hearing it when I told him there was a talking bear inside. He ended up enjoying the story, and I enjoyed reading it to him.
Bhargavi Balachandran
Adorable illustrations, but the only thing I could think about while reading the book was that reality would have been a completely different story altogether!
Adrian Chiem
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I needed a twentieth book. But Johnny wants a tattoo of these beautiful illustrations, and we are up in Bridgton in his home as we cross into 2020. I am warm here in the snow. All of us here pass time together.
Ghazaal B.
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Reminded me of the time we (me and him,) had hit the road and stopped by the road to pick berries to make jams out of them. We scratched all our hands and feet and faces but ended up with the most delicious blueberry jams. Yum.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
This mom is straight gangster. Turns around to see what she thought was a child was in fact a bear... doesn’t bat an eye. Finds child. Finishes her blueberry picking like the badass she is.
Josiah Richardson
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
One of my favorites as a child.
Evelyn Saenz
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk" as I was working on a unit study for Blueberries for Sal it stuck me that the words "kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk" all began with the letter K. Now wasn't there another book that had letter K words? Oh, yes, it was Klippity Klopby Ed Emberley

Klippity Klop by Ed Emberley

The letter K was used in each of these books I believe to highlight the fact that these words are not actually considered words but letter sounds that represent a sound heard. kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk are the sounds hea
Luisa Knight
I think Robert McCloskey is my new favorite author for early childhood books! His images are delightful and his simple stories end up having a fun twist that keeps adults entertained too!

Ages 3+

Cleanliness: a mother says, "My Goodness."

**Like my reviews? Then you should follow me! Because I have hundreds more just like this one. With each review, I provide a Cleanliness Report, mentioning any objectionable content I come across so that parents and/or conscientious readers (like me) can determin
Steve Holden
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a 1948 Caldecott Winner, this would be considered in the "classic category." The story, although old, holds the test of time as sweet and endearing. I spent a lot of time with this one as a young child. I believe my mom particularly enjoyed this one. The illustrations are beautifully done in black and white, and it tells a story of a mother and Sal (I say Sal instead of son/daughter because for this time, amazingly the gender is kept very neutral in this one - which I love!) going blueberry p ...more
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 4-8
Recommended to Kimberly by: Book Review
Blueberries for Sal. By Robert McCloskey. Illustrated by Robert McCloskey. The Viking Press, 1948. 55 pages. ISBN 0-670-17591-9

Sal and his mother go to Blueberry Hill to pick berries for the winter. Sal and his mother encounter more than just berries when he wanders away. The use of repetitive and parallel elements throughout the story create an exciting suspense as the reader waits for events to unfold. The black ink drawings add an element of humour which compliments the story.

This was an enjo
Becky
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: One day, Little Sal went with her mother to Blueberry Hill to pick blueberries.

Premise/plot: Little Sal and Little Bear both love, love, love to eat blueberries. Little Sal's mother is picking blueberries to can for winter; Little Bear's mother is eating blueberries--and encouraging Little Bear to eat blueberries--so they can save up lots of fat for hibernating that winter. Little Sal becomes tired, and ultimately becomes separated from her mother. Little Bear also becomes separa
1001 Children's B...: September 2015: Blueberries for Sal 11 19 Oct 30, 2015 01:09PM

• Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business
  • Corduroy
  • Miss Rumphius
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • The Little House
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • The Story About Ping
  • Olivia (Olivia, #1)
  • Strega Nona
  • Roxaboxen
  • Curious George
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 – June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and Bu ...more