Start by marking “Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)” as Want to Read:
Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)

Dead Hot Mama

(A Loon Lake Mystery #5)

It's ice-fishing season in Loon Lake and Doc Osborne is trying to cnvince Police Chief and fishing pal Lew Ferris to give it a chance. But fish aren't the only things lurking below the surface. The bodies of two snowmobilers have just been pulled out of nearby Two Sisters Lake. And a beautiful woman's corpse turns up in a snowdrift. Is it payback for a drug deal gone bad?

Paperback, Large Print, 304 pages
Published March 2nd 2004 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead Hot Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Hot Mama

Start your review of Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
Anastasia
Dead Hot Mama by Victoria Houston is book 5 in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery series. It is ice-fishing season at Loon lake when the body of a young girl is found under a snow mound and the bodies of two snow- mobilers are found missing their legs. I enjoyed this book very much and even though fishing plays a big part, it was not overwhelming. I liked the various characters and the mystery was captivating and suspenseful. I thought it unusual to have a retired dentist helping out with the investi ...more
Renee
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable characters & a tight, "page-turning" mystery.

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
Eileen Lynx
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story about winter fishing and snowmobiling.
Janell
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Another very intriguing mystery in this series. This author involves her characters into many interesting and different scenarios, weaving the details into her story. Plus, the fishing angle is a nice change. :-)
Bryan
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
5th in the series, thankfully more to come. Greatly enjoy the main characters. Doc, Lew, and Ray are like old friends. Victoria Houston writes a great mystery. I figured this one out early, but didn't care!
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the Loon Lake Mysteries
Marian
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Like this one better than the first one I read. And will continue reading this series. The characters in this one are a bit more nuanced and the plot more exciting.
Larry Tessler
Sloppy

The first half of the book was totally boring...difficult to read. The second half was far better although the conclusion was hurried.
Chuck
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of Northwoods murders. Pretty good plot
Swanbender2001
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's ice-fishing season in Loon Lake and Doc Osborne is trying to convince Police Chief and fishing pal Lew Ferris to give it a chance. But fish aren't the only things lurking below the surface. The bodies of two snowmobilers have just been pulled out of nearby Two Sisters Lake. And a beautiful woman's corpse turns up in a snowdrift. Is it payback for a drug deal gone bad? Or is it something more sinister?
I certainly enjoyed Doc Osborne, Police Chief Lew and their friend Ray and will proba
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
The 5th book in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery Series.

Retired dentist Dr. Paul Osbourne is looking forward to a little fishing time with his crush chief of police Lew Ferris - instead they get called out to a snowmobile accident scene that turns out to be no accident (the legs are missing from both the snowmobilers!) and the death of a local stripclubs bartender as well! With the help of Dr. Paul's neighbor Ray they slowly unravel the murders.

Another enjoyable read from Victoria Houston!
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Another Doc and Lew mystery -- this one involves people who are stealing body parts.

All the bad guys end up dead. Mitten-- the wife of the supposed rich guy making body glue -- she who inherited Thunder Bay and all the sex places in the area. She is killed with her latest lover -- the Mayor's grandson who wanted to sell body parts and killed 3 snowmobilers and the girl from Thunder Bay -- they crash the snowmobile and are eaten by wolves. On their way out they killed the husband who is susspect
Grey853
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Gloria Mccracken
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like this series filled folksy, sometimes quirky, characters. Set in northern Wisconsin, it always bemuses me to see Wausau, the small town of my childhood, referred to as the local "big city".

Not to say that everyone is nice. They're not. Some of them are downright vicious--which is just as well. A murder mystery with all sweet people would not be very exciting, it seems to me.
Roxann
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another good little mystery from Houston. This one had more twists than some of the others. It starts with a body of a young woman found in a snowbank near Christmas. It later expands to snowmobilers found dead in a lake. I continues to expand to include gathering body parts. The main characters stay true to form once again.
Naomi
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This author is from a location where my husband and I vacation every year and her books were recommended to me. They were very shallow, but very cute. A good choice to lighten the load after reading heavy mysteries.
Nancy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loon Lake mysteries take me back to the pleasure of reading Nancy Drew and the Dana Girls mysteries. I love the characters and the setting...the plots not so much, but the books never fail to soothe and to please.
Kay Lynn
I enjoyed hearing about familiar Wisconsin towns, but didn't find the book particularly engaging. It was fine, but not necessary a page turner. I'll try another one by this author, but won't jump on it right away.
Julie
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Another mystery set in a small town with Osbourne (retired dentist) and Sheriff Lew. The mysteries that all tied together were a bit gruesome. The unraveling of clues mixed with small town charm, odd characters, family, and fishing are a good read
Mike Murray
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
2016 Book #67/35: These are really starting to grow on me. 3.5 stars. They continue to be fun and light and there is less repetition in this one. Taking place during the winter is also a nice change of perspective. On to the next one!
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The 5th book in the Loon Laky Mystery series was good, and one of the victims was a snowmobiler from Tomahawk. The mystery part of the book was good, and I also learned more than I previously knew about allograft tissue and their harvesting, a field wide open for abuse. Very interesting.
Marilyn Groneng
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just like all of the books in the series, they are never going to be on a best sellers list BUT are fun summer reading. As the mother of two fishing sons, it is fun to be able to talk to them about fishing and other outdoor "stuff"!
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Average. Not as well written as most mysteries. Didn’t flow well
Andrea
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Still don't understand how the mayor is still able to appoint family members when the last two didn't work out. Did love the group getting back together over missing tissue from cadavers.
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Must
Elizabeth
I always learn something in these books that is a surprise to me. The mystery part is also addictive.
Doug
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love these Wisconsin mysteries!!!
Kel
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Found this book at a consignment shop in WI. I get a big kick out the colloquialisms and it's a decent mystery. I am reading more of these.
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I like it but not as much as I have like her other books!
kc
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am hooked on this mystery series with a fishing background and engaging characters. Off to read Dead Jitterbug.

• Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Many a Twist (County Cork #6)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #18)
  • Desert Redemption (Lena Jones Mystery #10)
  • The Last Pirate of New York: A Ghost Ship, a Killer, and the Birth of a Gangster Nation
  • Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
  • The Vanderbilt Era: Profiles of a Gilded Age
  • Death on Blackheath (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #29)
  • Fire Lover: A True Story
  • Atravesando Fronteras: Un Periodista en Busca de Su Lugar en el Mundo
  • The Enemy of the People: A Dangerous Time to Tell the Truth in America
  • The Royal Wulff Murders (Sean Stranahan, #1)
  • Retablos: Stories from a Life Lived Along the Border
  • Desolation Mountain (Cork O'Connor, #17)
  • Strange Harvests: The Hidden Histories of Seven Natural Objects
  • Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
  • The Murder List
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)