Start by marking “Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk” as Want to Read:
Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk

Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk

(Dukuh Paruk #1-3)

Gabungan 3 buku seri Dukuh Paruk: Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk, Lintang Kemukus Dini Hari & Jantera Bianglala.

Semangat Dukuh Paruk kembali menggeliat sejak Srintil dinobatkan menjadi ronggeng baru, menggantikan ronggeng terakhir yang mati dua belas tahun yang lalu. Bagi pedukuhan yang kecil, miskin, terpencil dan bersahaja itu, ronggeng adalah perlambang. Tanpanya dukuh itu merasa
Published January 2003 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk

Start your review of Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk
Pewe
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To me personally, Indonesia doesn't have many literary books that can make me bit my lips in excitement and finish 150 pages towards the end (I finish the remaining 50 pages the next day) in 2 hours. A very deep Javanese philosophy of life reflected from a life of a traditional sensual dancer (Ronggeng) that we all can learn from from the "eyes" of the writer. Reading can be slow as the style follows Javanese culture: slow, polite, but it doesn't mean it can't incite desire.

The dancer's life to
Mochammad Yusni
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Indonesian novel i’ve ever read. Yes, even comparing to Bumi Manusia, Cantik itu Luka or Lelaki Harimau. (If you have recommendation about any Indonesian book that is better than this, hit me up!!)
Tohari tells a story about a traditional dancer who became a victim of a patriarchal society (where men often seeing her only as object) and the political turmoil of 1965. Srintil, the dancer, is a very innocent and pure young girl who have to continue the Ronggeng tradition in which she must not
Sarita
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indonesia
Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk (The Dancer) by Ahmad Tohari recounts the tumultuous days of mid-1960s Indonesia through a love story between Srintil and Rasus in Paruk, a village that struggles to keep up with the changing world.

The village of Paruk is rather isolated, could only be reached by traversing the network of dikes bordering the wet rice fields. It was because of this isolation that its inhabitants had developed a unique way of life.

“Twenty-three homes made up this tiny community, inhabited by p
Gianni Reiza Maulania
"Let us try to understand the essence of death
Every creature must die
The soul is like a soaring bird
That has escaped from its cage
Where will the future take us?
Let us not lose our way
As with all the humanity in this world
Our time is so brief
And we shall return
To rest in eternity" -page 292

In the foreword of this edition I just learned that Dukuh Paruk was actually inspired by a secluded village near Ahmad Tohari's home called Pakuncen and the characters were drawn from real people as well
Ajeng
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about the book from my high school teacher more than 10 years ago. Only last year I started reading more world literature in the Netherlands and thought that I would start reading Indonesian literature. From the first few pages I already realized how shocking it must be for Indonesians in the 80's to read this book. It's one of the most important Indonesian book to read in my opinion.

The way I see it, this book portrays clearly how women (and young girls) are exploited and objectif
ABO
Shelves: indonesia

“Twenty-three homes made up this tiny community, inhabited by p
Avery
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this novel in a day, then spent the evening pondering over why I hated it so much. I have to give it more than one star, because the author writes from precious, irreplacable experience. If you want to read a novel about what it means to grow up in a traditional pagan village surrounded by magic and spirits, this is the book for you: it was written by someone who really experienced that life growing up, and he offers insider insights that an anthropologist would never be able to grasp ...more
 zahra
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
TranslationITS
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A number of short stories available in English translation at this location. A truly wonderful writer.
Dina
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesian
Tragic stories are not my favorite, because for me it is an injustice deliberately made by the author for their own sick satisfaction.

When a story ends in a sad way, I think that is just what the author wants us to see that there is nothing left for the character to live on. While in the real life, it is not like that – if it is not hope that would sooner emerge, the change of time would eventually makes someone stronger to continue.

I know that the author has to stop somewhere, lest the pages be
Kartika Paramita
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
His description of the surrounding is just amazing.
Cep Subhan KM
Indonesian Literature in (good) translation. I remember read this novel in its Indonesian version long time ago. My oldest brother is Ahmad Tohari's admirer and so i have also read all of his work which can be found in my brother's bookshelf.

The first thing should be noted: the introduction is an interesting story about the translation and the translator impression and reading of the author. The novel is an etnographic novel and this part which is discussed a little in the introduction is reall
KevinMR
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book probably holds a dear place in my heart, only next to Bumi Manusia, as it picks out similar themes regarding the conflicts faced by young adults in the era conflict and colonization, which, in this respect, the Netherlands colonization in Indonesia as its setting.

The story follows two perspective, one is Srintil as the traditional dancer in the pagan Javanese village, and Rasus, the boy who turned to like Srintil, but was forced and distanced away due to his journey away from his villa
Jhe Setiyadi
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
If i could describe this book with color, dark-grey would be perfect for it.
Not totally dark because Srintil told us how to stand even in the darkest time, but also not even bright because the suffer and hardship is Real, not only physically, but also emotionally and phsycically.
Great time and place setting, and that emotional twist along the story. Good recommendation!
Marc
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and unique perspective on the political and cultural history of Indonesia.

Highly advise watching the movie adaptation before reading, or not at all. It is *very* loosely based on the much deeper and moving novel.
Setiawati Lani
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hard to say about...
Siti Kurniaty Rasyad
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I guess it deserves five stars ☺️
Winter Crescent
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Speechless.
Cicilia Sri Bintang
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i like how this book capture the culture, politic and romance together.
Theo Darmawan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the most memorable thing from this book was its beautiful descriptions of nature and of the idyllic rural settings that evidently comes from the authors own life experiences, which produces its inimitable detail. the story itself follows the character arcs of two people a boy and a girl from the same village, and focuses on their internal psychological journeys rather than relying on action to deliver the drama and intrigue. i enjoyed The Dancer as bedtime reading, and it delivers quite an expan ...more
Anindya
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am so happy I decided to read this Indo classic literature. I remember borrowing this book when I was in the elementary school (the censored version) but of course I only read the first few pages. This is so refreshing after I've been consumed in very modern literatures.

This book has a great, unpredictable plot, which is very rare. The story goes back to 1960s (mainly) when there was a 'war against communism' in Indonesia. I don't want to spoil anything here but I want to highlight how bounda
Olivia
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I FINALLY FINISHED THIS BOOK! I can go do my homework now...

This book is incredibly beautiful, very well-written and tells a really touching story. It teaches us about a part of the history of Indonesia after its independence. About the people who became victims of an event they didn't even understand. About Javanese culture back in the 1940s-1970s.

I really wish this book has been translated to English just so that it could reach a larger audience. I have no idea if it has been translated or no
lita
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
baca versi e-book-nya...agak2 jereng euy
-----------------------------------------

Di sela-sela kejaran deadline buat nerjemahin 3 buku dan nyiapin ini itu buat keberangkatan Juni nanti, akhirnya selesai juga baca e-book yang bikin jereng ini :D.

Kesimpulan saya cuma satu: some times people only see what they only want to see. What do they see? It depends on how they want to be opened to any circumstances, how they are willing to listen, and give empathy.
Baru
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for book from Indonesian author on my vacation there and I wasn't dissapointed at all. It is a love story that is happening in difficult cultural and historical circumstances. So you learn something about traditional culture and little bit about modern history of Indonesia following the story of the main character "The Dancer". It remind me somehow the Geisha story in the way how it connect the character story with culture and history. ...more
Arif Kusbandono
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is having its second film adaptation (official trailer You Tube). Not clearly recalling all of what was being told, I remember exactly how the bitter end was. Damned the cowardice of the man, at the conscience of being realistic, whom left Srintil. She paralyzed and never recovered; damned reality bite. ...more
Lala Sampurno
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked it, I read it twice already, but did not finish the second time. Why? Because it hurt too much to read what happened. Some books got that effect on me: I believed so much in what is written, I got carried and swept away in the story. My heart bled for Srintil.

Membaca buku ini membuatku pedih. Buku yang indah, ditulis dengan sederhana tanpa kata-kata rumit, tapi menghujam rasa.
Dhimas Anindito
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This trilogy is about a girl with her joys and also sacrifices to be a traditional Banyumasan-Javanese dancer called "Ronggeng". Her body—paid to move in sensual yet beautiful way—is owned by the world, but her mind and heart belongs to one man. This seemingly romance is not a shallow one; it's worth to read.

PS. If you have the ability, you should try the Banyumasan-Javanese version.
Pipitpip
Sep 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for foreign who studying about Indonesian literature. Story about how Indonesian people leaving in past,the poor, the lifestyle, the politic, and about the chosen. Beside smooth picturing real life , the author have also exotic way of writing. Very recommended.
Mala
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
for me this book deserves 6 stars (tee..hee..).if schools in indonesia want to teach literature seriously,i suggest the authority put this book in the must-read list.i consider srintil-rasus is one of the most romantic couples ever told in a story.for me this book is really a masterpiece.
« previous 1 3 next »
2017 Reading Chal...: Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk (The Dancer) by Ahmad Tohari 1 23 Jan 10, 2015 04:20AM
novel yang sangat bagus 1 8 Nov 09, 2014 07:02AM

• Gadis Kretek
  • Entrok
  • Laut Bercerita
  • Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas
  • Child of All Nations (Buru Quartet, #2)
  • Harimau! Harimau!
  • Corat Coret di Toilet
  • Aroma Karsa
  • Edensor
  • Guru Aini
Ahmad Tohari is Indonesia well-knowned writer who can picture a typical village scenery very well in his writings. He has been everywhere, writings for magazines. He attended Fellowship International Writers Program at Iowa, United State on 1990 and received Southeast Asian Writers Award on 1995.

His famous works are trilogy of Srintil, a traditional dancer (ronggeng) of Paruk Village: "Ronggeng Du

Dukuh Paruk (3 books)
  • Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk: Catatan buat Emak
  • Lintang Kemukus Dini Hari
  • Jantera Bianglala

News & Interviews

“Mereka mengira dengan melampiaskan dendam maka urusannya selesai. Nah, mereka keliru. Dengan cara itu bahkan mereka memulai urusan baru yang panjang dan lebih genting. Di dunia ini, Nak, tak ada sesuatu yang berdiri sendiri. Maksudku, tak suatu upaya apa pun yang bisa bebas dari akibat. Upaya baik berakibat baik, upaya buruk berakibat buruk.” 27 likes
“Pengalaman-pengalaman yang lembut dan santai mungkin tidak tercatat dalam garis-garis kehidupan secara nyata. Namun pengalaman-pengalaman yang keras dan getir tentu akan tergores dalam-dalam pada jiwa, pada sikap dan perlakuan, dan tak mustahil akan mengubah sama sekali keperibadian seseorang.” 10 likes