Start by marking “Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding, #1)

Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  30,349 Ratings  ·  2,503 Reviews
Jack and Lexi never had a typical relationship. After 2 years without speaking, she receives a phone call that changes everything. He unexpectedly asks her to convince the new girl, Bekah, that he's ready to commit. Jack is calling now after everything they had been through because there is another woman. She can't believe it.

Follow Lexi in this heart wrenching drama as s
Published July 29th 2012 by K.A. Linde

To ask other readers questions about Avoiding Commitment, please sign up.

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensBared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades Darker by E.L. James
Intense And "Angsty" Romance
2,355 books — 6,750 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireAvoiding Commitment by K.A. LindeBared to You by Sylvia DayDown to You by M. Leighton, Michelle LeightonOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Hot Covers
1,181 books — 1,389 voters

More lists with this book...

Candace
Wow! I am still trying to get my emotions - mainly anger - under control after reading this one. I have not wanted to pummel a hero like this in a long time! Ugh! I'm not sure I can articulate how furious I am with Jack, but I'm going to give it a shot.

The story begins in present-time, with Lexi receiving an unexpected phone call from an old friend, Jack. It is very apparent that Jack broke Lexi's heart and that there are some unresolved feelings lingering. Clearly, the two had an intense histor
Tarryn Fisher
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Do not read this book around other people

Do not read this book if you are abstaining from sex

Do not read this book if you are happy

Do not read this book if you are a goody-too-shoes

Do read this book if you are a bad boy lover, or a villain lover, or a drama addict.

Bayli
I'm not going to give this an actual rating because I'm not sure how to go about it! haha. It obviously made me feel a lot so that shows Ms Linde really knows how to bring out emotions in the reader... But I also got so effin irritated with the characters RAWR. I just feel conflicted lol!

K.A. Linde is a good writer. She has a way of describing things and really brining a person into her world.

(view spoiler)
FreakChiq
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012-release
Avoiding Commitment tells the story of Alexa (or Lexi as she likes to be called), a 20-something college student who, after 6 years of doing the same bullshit again and again, has apparently learned absolutely nothing from her mistakes, and Jack, the most prime example of a lying, manipulative player.

I picked this book up because a few people compared it to S.C. Stephens’s Thoughtless, which I absolutely loved even though it wasn’t an easy read (if you’ve read it you know what I’m talking about)
Taryn

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

Author Interview & Giveaway with K.A. Linde 7/11/12

Five stars? Please. More like ten stars!

I don't normally add photos to my reviews. While I was reading this book the Olympics were on at the same time and I saw Ryan Lochte's face and said, OMG, THAT'S RAMSEY! Then I decided I couldn't just have a photo of Ramsey and not Jack. So a friend found this photo of Jack, and I must say she is spot on. Those piercing blue eyes and devilish smirk is exactl
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
4.75 Stars

They were not a couple. They were lovers and most definitely in love. Yet, they were a disaster together.

Warning: I tend to use a lot of expletives when I’m emotional. This book, my friends, has made an emotional wreck out of me. So be warned, I will cuss and swear, a lot, in this review :)

I’m a total mess. I think I just had a minor stroke. My speech is slurred, I feel weak all over, and I’ve lost all ability to think straight. They need a support group for those who read this book.
S.C. Stephens
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My stomach is still in knots over this book! Fantastic read! Gritty, real, painful and wonderfully messy...a true roller coaster ride!
Alexis *Reality Bites*
10-15-13 Talking about this book on Facebook has me all HYPE, had to re-post the review! LOL!!! HAVE YOU READ THIS YET??

SPOILER FREE
4 STARS out of 5
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Series: Book #1 in Avoiding Series
->Review contains foul language read at your own discretion.
WARNING: You should re-frame from reading this in public because
This book may cause you to throw your reading device. Shout unexpectedly in public. Wanna kill a B*tch. And scream "OH HELL NO" and "OH SH#T" at least tw
Maria
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm not a Hater Usually, But my God this Book made Me Bat-Shit Fucking Crazy and I have never wanted to stab 2 characters as much as I did with Jack and Lexi. What a Mess, Lord I can't imagine going thru that Shit for six years, both the H/h need there heads examined. Anywho I just couldn't get passed all the nonsense in this book it was just to much of the same thing over and over again. So if your looking for a book that makes you want to smash your e-reader and you want all that I Hate you, l ...more
Natalie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok

When i finished this book I was totally exhausted by all the drama/lies/secrets and cheating this book contained. And when a book can make me feel that way, that its impossible to put it down, then it have to be a good sign, right? A part of me wanted to give this booka a five star rating just because of that, the authors ability to capture me like a prisoner. But another part of me only wanted to give it 3 stars, simply because that I didnt feel emotionally connected with any of the characters.
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at toughcriticbookreviews.blogspot.com

Avoiding Commitment has taken my book slump and crushed it beneath its mind shattering awesomeness. Where do I start? Where do I finish? What the hell can I say that's not a four-letter word?!

I feel so used! I feel so abused! I feel so awesomely turned on! There's such a fine line between love and hate. Avoiding Commitment totally gets rid of the line and has one big love/hate orgy. There wasn't a character I didn't want to punch in the face! Everyo
Stephanie
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay so I've taken a few days and I decided that I just cannot put into word how this book made me feel. So I decided to come up with a play list that encompasses the emotions I felt while reading. So here you go...

1. Always by Saliva
8. Everything Changes by Staind
9. Forever by Papa Ro
Loyda
Before I read the book 7/11/2017

I have been "avoiding" this series on purpose but then my sister calls me needing my support because well Shittt, I recommended the series to her in the first place LMAO ops 🙄🤗... But now she's dying and is going to kill me if I don't buddy read asap 😂😂😂

Sooo here I go 😥😨😒

Thoughts when I finished 7/17/2017

3.5 to 4★★★★Stars

Genre: NA-Contemporary Romance
Type: Book 1 of Avoiding Series
POV: First Person – Female

Jack and Lexi drove me absolutely crazy out of
Kim (Sliced Open Reviews)
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
My thoughts?

AVOIDING COMMITMENT did things to my brain, heart and soul that I have not had since reading Colleen Hoover’s books - SLAMMED and POINT OF RETREAT. AVOIDING COMMITMENT gave me the same feeling that I had to lock myself away until I read the entire book from cover to cover. There are words that I need to use to describe this book that I’m not currently able to produce, but I will do my best.

broken. ELATED. beat. CONSUMED. hurt. LOVED. sad. WANTING. confused.

Yes, that may do it f

Dominique
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing but i completely hate it! i'm an emotional wreck! i will curse many timessssss in this review

i fucking hate most of these characters.. lexi is a dumb ass bitch..jack is a heartless prink..and bekah o dear god i hope u fall off a cliff

there is just so much heartache in this book..i wanted to burn my kindle to the ground and still do!

K.A. Linde job well done by bringing so much emotion out of so many people but i hate cheating and i despise these people. A good author can alw
Anne OK
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne OK by: Taryn Cellucci (GR)
Shelves: 2012-reads
Warning: If you don’t like a book filled to the brim with unlimited angst, this is not the book for you! This is not your normal yummy happily-ever-after romance! More like toxic shock!

I admit that I very much enjoy my fair share of angst in a book and, after a highly recommended shove, I chose to jump in and see what all the hollering was about in regards to this new-to-me-author's book. But after just coming off reading “Gone Girl,” another mind boggler, “Avoiding Commitment” might have been t
Melissa
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not good for my health
Or my hair
Kellie Maddox-Ward

Jack had always been best at lying. Some people were good at sports. Some people were good at school. Some people were good at working. While some people were good at commitment, Jack was good at avoiding commitment.”

Sex
Hatred
Frustration
Heartbreaking
Angst

All these words spring to mind when I think of this book.

SOOOO Many times while reading this book I’ve literally gone
”OH FUCK OFF!” “HELL NO!” “DON’T DO IT!” “FUCK JACK!” “LEXI
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well I'm trying to figure out what I can say about this book to do it justice!! It was superb, outstanding and just amazing! While reading reviews on this book a reviewer described it as a mix between The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher and The Thoughtless series by S.C Stephens and she could not have described it any better. Lexi and Jack have a seriously F*cked up love story and are both two extremely selfish and self serving people that have an undeniable chemistry and addiction to each other bu ...more
Erin
Oh, the things this book did to me!! Words fail to express the beatings my heart was subjected to, the incomparable lust I experienced, or the nauseating trepidation that plagued my stomach. Avoiding Commitment isn't just a story, it's an emotional, lust-filled, gut-wrenching journey that will be on your mind long after you finish that last page.

Avoiding Commitment follows the path of Jack and Lexi's all-consuming, intensely passionate relationship over it's 6 years. The blurb for this book had
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
SORRY FOR MY MUCH HATED OPINION!
*Don't read if easily offended!*
Holy shit! I cannot believe I actually managed to finish this book. Why, you ask? Well (SORRY FOR MY LANGUAGE) it was a piece of crap story! All the characters where buuuuuullllshiit. I simply couldn't stand Lexi and I wanted to cut of Jack's dick! Waste of time this book was, I tell you. W a s t e of time.
Kristen
Jul 31, 2012 marked it as not-for-me
Shelves: cheating
Lots of cheating and over-the-top drama. No thanks!
MISS VAIN
"He lied to me about Danielle. Then, he swore he would never lie to me again. And to this day, I don't think he has," Lexi said wistfully. "But I thought you said your relationship was full of lies." This time Lexi did look Bekah directly into her naively, innocent eyes to answer her, "It was. We just lied to everyone else."

When I read this quote above in Avoiding Commitment I said this is going to be angsty day. To those of you that are familiar with my taste in reading will know that Angsty bo
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
**4.5 stars**

Jack and Lexi have known each other for six years since they first met in college. They've always wanted to be together but they've always been committed to others. Unfortunately, sometimes they've given into that desire at the detriment of their other relationships. Lexi hasn't talked to Jack in a while when he calls out the blue and says he needs her. Too bad she can't resist.

Well, I do love these emotional books but I think this one even wore me out! The story is written with alt
FIVE TEAM JACK FOR LIFE STARS!!!
(BR with Melissa)
Thanks, Melissa, for suffering through the angst with me!!! :)

This is my second time reading this book.
Love it even more this time around.

Avoiding Commitment has to be, by far, the most angst filled story I have read to date.
I remember putting down my iPad and screaming several times, the first time I read it, a year ago.
I thought going into this one a second time, would be easier!!
No, it still hurts, and even though Jack stomps and tramples all
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
In the end, no matter how good the writing or plot is, I read for characters. In order for me to like a book, at least one of the characters needs to, at a minimum, be redeemable. Up until the last 2% of this book, it was going to go into the "I wish I could get those hours back" pile.

Lexi and Jack. What an insanely 'effed up, dysfunctional, painful, messed up, deranged relationship they had. Every time there was a flashback, it felt like I was watching this over and over again.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The more that w
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Currently FREE!!! 7/27/17

I never wrote a review for this one, but I love this series so so much!
Mia
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 ANGST RIDDEN STARS!!

How could two people have so much history, such a connection, so much emotional baggage without ever actually dating?

Well to answer that question, you’ll have to meet Lexi Walsh and her sorta-non-ex-boyfriend, Jack Howard.

They haven’t spoken in years when Lexi suddenly gets an unexpected phone call from Jack asking her to come down to meet his current girlfriend because surprise, surprise, Jack Howard is ready to commit! Lexi hesitantly takes the offer and as the story
Christy
Wow- this was an intense story... Lexi and Jack, I spent most of the book conflicted; I wasn't sure if they should be together or not. I'm still not sure honestly, Jack does something to totally piss you off, then makes you love him again ugh. I'm okay where it ended, but I really cannot wait to read book number two, wish I didn't have to wait three months!!!
  • Dirty Red (Love Me with Lies, #2)
  • Rock Star (Groupie, #2)
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Accidentally on Purpose, #1)
  • Arsen: A Broken Love Story
  • Truth (Consequences, #2)
  • Collision Course
  • On Every Street (The Artists Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • Disastrous (Disastrous, #1)
  • Slow Twitch (Brenna Blixen, #3)
  • Love Left Behind
  • Butterfly Weeds (Butterfly Weeds, #1)
  • True Love Story
  • Date Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #3)
  • Lexi, Baby (This Can't Be Happening, #1)
  • Ruining Me (Ruining, #1)
  • The Wild Ones (The Wild Ones, #1)
  • Unforgivable (Untouchable, #2)
K.A. Linde is the USA Today bestselling author of the Avoiding Series, The Wright Brother, and more than twenty novels. She grew up as a military brat and attended the University of Georgia where she obtained a Master’s in political science. She works full-time as an author and loves Disney movies, binge-watching Supernatural, and Star Wars.

She currently lives in Lubbock, Texas, with her husband a
More about K.A. Linde...

Avoiding (3 books)
  • Avoiding Responsibility (Avoiding, #2)
  • Avoiding Temptation (Avoiding, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Jack: "..You were the on­ly one I saw when I closed my eyes"
Lexi: "Then why wasn't I enough when they were open?”
226 likes