Jump to ratings and reviews

Groom Lake

Journey Below Area 51While the glory days of the government's operating location at Groom Lake are past, Bryan O paints a vivid picture of the installation's rise and relevance in the evolution of fringe sciences, and will stir debate with his depiction of a new, heavily shrouded spaceport in the Rockies. Groom Lake is not just a novel; the narrative is a briefing on America's black budget programs and practices. The story gives a historical account of shadow government activities, methods and reasoning, intertwined with a fast-paced plot where intelligence agents guard their fringe programs from inquisitive civilians, China's Ministry of State Security and a congressional task force investigating black budget spending. Bryan leaves readers wondering if the book is truly fiction, or if he is possibly a ghostwriter for the government in a top secret program called Project Meshing that is intended to raise public consciousness about certain fringe sciences.

322 pages, Hardcover

First published December 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bryan O.

1 book6 followers
After nearly two decades, Bryan O has delivered his debut novel. Groom Lake immortalizes an 18-year quest that has endured relentless research and rewrites, introducing Bryan to a host of individuals and government projects along the way. Born and raised in San Diego, Bryan moved to Los Angeles in 1989 to attend the University of Southern California where he studied economics. He began detailed research for the novel in 1993, and penned his first words on January 4, 1994. In addition to many thousands of hours devoted to the book, Bryan has been an executive with two companies servicing the television industry since 2001.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (10%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews
Profile Image for Bryan O..
Author 1 book6 followers
March 3, 2012
I apologize if rating my own book is not proper etiquette--I added Groom Lake to my bookshelf not realizing the stars would be public record. Regardless, I hope you appreciate an author who stands behind his work. I am new to the arena of public criticism, but my confidence has been bolstered by early reviews from around the globe, and specifically a Critics' Indie Choice by Kirkus Reviews in January. The general consensus seems to be an appreciation for the background details that support the characters and story lines.

Groom Lake has a number of characters, but the stories all connect in the final third of the book for a fast-paced finish that leaves readers intrigued and debating a question I ask in the beginning: Where does the line between fact and fiction exist in this book?

I hope you'll give the book a try. The hardcover is readily available on Amazon and the ebook is nominally priced.

Feel free to friend me and ask questions about the story. I hope to expand the background information with Q&A and Quizzes soon.

If you are visiting Las Vegas in the next 18-months, check out the museum exhibit Area 51: Myth or Reality, of which I am an official sponsor. http://www.nationalatomictestingmuseu...
45 reviews4 followers
April 1, 2012
I won this book from Goodreads and I really enjoyed it. It is a an exciting novel conpiracy theory novel presented in a "I'm writing this as fiction even though it is true way" which rather adds to the excitment. At first you think you are reading a UFO novel but it turns into a government black budget thriller. It's gets a bit slow in the middle as it sets the stage with much detail about the governments secret programs at Groom Lake in Nevada. It's well worth it to absorb the details and read the story about a group of amatuers who raise questions and pursue their own investigation of the area. Mind control, anti gravity, secret defense weapons and more make this a "goodread".
476 reviews39 followers
March 18, 2012
Ben Skyles flew to Las Vegas after work one day to meet Janice Yang - recently his sympathetic shoulder. And a good listener. But he tenses when a man he thinks he knows comes to their table for a brief chat. Skyles leaves suddenly, Janice quickly follows. Her exit route, which included a ladies room, removable ceiling tiles and a back way out through the kitchen, confirmed her intentions. The near future will see Yee Yang (AKA Janice Yang, Chinese spy) returned to her homeland, leaving her memories behind. And Skyles doesn't know what he remembers. He has no control over his mind, tuning in to reality takes some assistance. He is lost. Damien Owens cannot fix this problem if he cannot find it's origin. He actually feels badly for Skyles then berates himself - Owens rarely allows emotion, it only complicates his job. And that job includes tight security. He is aware, while he is certain of the vital need to maintain the utmost secrecy, there are factions attempting to breach it, pointing to the public's right to know their money has been funneled into "special projects" using a black budget. When questioned about a specific project or how the funding was being used, 'Classified' was no longer quietly accepted. Groom Lake (Area 51) and it's UFO connection have always been shrouded in secrecy. Owens works hard to keep it that way, under the radar, attracting little attention, known to few, accountable to, well, even fewer?

This story has to engage your brain, prompt you to examine your own thoughts and feelings concerning a numbers of issues. Are PAC's used by large donors to (if not buy) place politicians in the donor's debt? Are there too many secrets? Should there be any? How much can the average person comprehend? I remember hearing something like 'A person is smart; people are stupid, herd mentality, fear driven'. What would be the advantage to terrifying the populace? Should technological research be
shared scientist to scientist or should this knowledge be hoarded will governments go around like children with 'Mine, Mine, Mine' echoing around the world?

This story is wild - fast paced, intelligent, well written and full of surprises. The Area 51/UFOs/mind control methods are fascinating. I must be a terrible cynic - the black budgets, the secret projects, corporate interests - I've taken this nightmare for granted most of my life. Until elected officials actually respect those who have elected them, nothing will change in a positive manner.

Profile Image for Rick Bavera.
638 reviews41 followers
April 26, 2012
This is a first-reads Good Reads book.

Groom Lake is written by "Bryan O" and is a look at the secret goings on at the Groom Lake/Area 51 sites in Nevada.

The book purports to be a novelized version of actual events and real people who have worked for and interacted with the secrecy surrounding and the technologies developed from alien technologies. It talks about anti-gravity, aliens, and rare elements.

I found the fact that the story reads like real events, and we get to look at a variety of characters, none of whom is the good guy or the bad guy, made the story "real" and plausible. No one character is focused on over any other character. They all move the story forward, and you come to care about them all.

Is there truth in the story. Probably some. Does the government keep secrets from its own people, and try to protect its turf and remain undiscovered? I am sure of it.

Do they think they have the best interests of Americans at heart? Probably.

It is a well-written tale. Is is truth masquerading as fiction, or fiction masquerading as truth.

Read this story and judge for yourself.

Profile Image for Shawn Fairweather.
462 reviews5 followers
February 9, 2017
The premise definitely sounded interesting enough for me to pick up a digital copy as it seems fairly reminiscent of the X-Files genre which I can enjoy to a point. At first the story takes off with a set up that entices you to read in further to find out what the author knows, however about halfway through, i was begging for the ending to come already. The suspense seemed to drop heavily and the build up to the conclusion was slow and tiring. The ending...fairly contrived and not really satisfying at all.
Profile Image for Neil.
543 reviews47 followers
January 30, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and found myself reluctant to put it down. There were enough grains of hard fact salted away throughout that I found it difficult to stop asking questions. For the most part the story is quite fast paced apart from a small patch in the middle where it did tend to get bogged down. The characters were good, and the author didn't fixate on any one of them at the expense of the others. Many will be more familiar with the names 'Dreamland' and 'Area51' rather than Groom Lake, but there are no mention of little green men but rather on various technologies, and the need to keep them secret. This is a great book for anyone who might be interested in conspiracy theories, or for someone just looking for a techno thriller. I have already started recommending this book to friends
Profile Image for Jack.
459 reviews1 follower
June 6, 2013
Fodder for conspiracy theory types. But I am more of a skeptic, so to me this book is a work of fiction written to make us think there's something going on out west.

I think the author wants us to believe that the government shouldn't keep secrets. But I disagree. We have enemies, like China, as this book admits. Our military and our government has to keep certain information and technologies secret lest our enemies use it against us. Unfortunately they have to keep that same information secret from the American Public.

Decent read but I just don't buy the story no matter how the author tries to make it out to be a "Deep Throat" exposition of some rather grandiose goings on.

Four stars because it was a fairly well written thriller, much like a Tom Clancy novel.
Profile Image for Jaden.
104 reviews
September 22, 2014
I found this a very interesting read; I am not someone who would normally read sci-fi books OR military secret ops type of books, but when I read the description on this I couldn't resist. I am not sure how much of this novel is truth; it claims to be fictionalized nonfiction... but could also be fiction posing as fact. No matter; it was a page turner that had my interest from the get-go. I am now looking to find more, similar type books to read and see what I can learn about this type of military activity. I don't want to spoiler, so I will leave it at that... But if you are at all interested in mind control, military ops, or Area 51 type information, you will most likely enjoy this book.
Profile Image for Jaime (Twisting the Lens).
115 reviews9 followers
March 30, 2012
I won this through FirstReads. Did Not Finish.

I am a sci-fi fan, love the X-Files, and enjoy conspiracies with the rest of them. I just could not get into this book, though. There is a lot of great information based on factual evidence, but it reads a bit too laboriously for me. It really comes down to too much to read, too little time. I am sure that this book will be a winner with many, but, when I read fiction, I like a story-line that drives the book, rather than trying to rely on all the information given, otherwise I would the non-fiction books on the subject.
71 reviews1 follower
April 9, 2013
It seems like I should like this book. It has the topics I find interesting. Area 51, UFOs, government conspiracies, mind control, anti-gravity propulsion, etc.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into it. The characters are wooden. The plot is somewhat boring considering the potential of the topics. Much of the book feels like it is repeatedly preaching the dangers of government secrecy instead of advancing the plot or the characters.

If you are interested in this book, check out Robert Doherty's Area 51 series. It's more outlandish, but also more fun and entertaining.
7 reviews1 follower
January 3, 2017
This book is about the Top Secret base known as Area 51, but it's not all Unidentified Flying Objects and people running around the desert in tinfoil hats. It does however have its share of espionage, fringe science, and plenty of black budget operations by the shadow government. If you love a good conspiracy theory then this book is a must read. Since the story is presented as fact that is being presented as fiction it will really get you thinking about what Big Brother is really up to out in the desert.
1 review
March 6, 2012
I'm a newbie to good reads but I recently reviewed this book on amazon and want to be sure to offer up a few choice words about its excellence here as well: this book f--ckin' rocks. I know, profanity, the crutch of the unoriginal. Seriously though, don't miscount it as another X-files knock-off -- Groom Lake is a beast all its own. Original, fast-paced, and thought provoking. Don't wait for the movie, just read!
Profile Image for Brandy.
40 reviews1 follower
March 27, 2012
I won this book from a Goodreads give away! I liked that it had factual information as well as a plot line. I have to admit that if the plot line wasn't a part of the story, I would have grown bored very quickly. I did walk away with knowledge that I did not know before reading the book, which is always a plus in my mind.
Profile Image for Jenny.
57 reviews
March 17, 2012
I won this book on Goodreads. Thank you!

The novel was a great thriller and plausible conspiracy surrounding Groom Lake, area 51, various government agencies and programs. To me, the historical background was overwhelming in the beginning but progressed into a well written action story. I would have read much more if the story was longer or even read a second book if one is written.
Profile Image for Bobby.
793 reviews3 followers
May 29, 2012
A Goodread "giveaway" that was well conceived and enjoyable. Maybe a bit too much "don't-believe-everything-you-see" but, then, that made it fun. A tale written around the long-time premise that Area 51 has a lot of secrets and the government makes sure it stays that way. The doing "things" by Washington to keep us safe is often a frightening thought. Thanks Bryan for the ride.
Profile Image for Ray Daley.
Author 141 books14 followers
April 6, 2013
starts well enough, characters are good, places are well researched but the ending or lack of same is EXTREMELY frustrating as is the fact the book either wasn't proof read at all or proof read very well with stupid mistakes like using road for rode.

If the ending felt a bit more conclusive I'd rate this higher.
Profile Image for Bryan.
Author 1 book66 followers
June 16, 2012
A rather tame attempt at convincing the reader that the US government is running a giant conspiracy and covering up alien technology. The characters are naive and clunky and the shocking relevations are pedestrian.
12 reviews1 follower
April 6, 2013
I would have liked this book better if there had been more resolution at the end. It is possible the author set us up for a sequel which I would happily read. The conspiracy element of the book was fairly decent but did not explain some things introduced in the book.
1 review4 followers
August 28, 2013
Started off as a very good read, very tense and nervy in an old school X-Files episode kind of way, sadly it ended more like "I Want To Believe", a bit of a let down.
Profile Image for Abigail Noonan.
11 reviews
January 19, 2014
I keep finding new books to read and re-read (that last is a good thing)....this totally peaked my interest from start to finish.
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.