Start by marking “Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)

Dark Space (Sentients of Orion #1)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  305 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
While drifting in space, lost, due to navigational failure, a mineral scout discovers God. When word gets out, academics from the studiums across Orion scramble to gain the Entity's favor. However, not all the sentients of Orion hold this 'god' in awe - some are deeply suspicious. Onto the grand stage of inter-stellar politics, intellectual conceit, and dubious theology wa ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by Night Shade Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Space

new_user
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Scifi survivalist flick meets Crash. Dark Space by Marianne de Pierres engages the reader on so many levels: multiple viewpoints, nonlinear narrative, mysteries, moral dilemmas, brutality, racism, sexism.

Any sort of synopsis will give away too much. Know that I was never bored, possibly because every scene moved the narrative forward and the dialogue to exposition ratio was high. Pierres expects her readers to glean cues from context. She borrows Italian words, invents futuristic by-words, and
Leonie
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers Challenge 2014.

When I began reading this book, I wondered if I'd like it, because it wasn't what I'd expected. It did get off to a slow start for me, but after a little while reading, I became intrigued by the characters and the story, and looked for any opportunity to continue to read further into the story.

The book is written from several perspectives, and slowly and steadily the separate story lines converge. The major ch
Y.I. Washington
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was blown away by this book. Great Space Opera, with amazing multi-dimensional characters, and description so vivid you actually feel like you're in the midst of the story. I've read this book twice!
Philip Hollenback
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, abandoned
Well this was a bunch of boring writing. Also, basically no science fiction. Why did I even put this on my to-read list? I'm baffled. Gave up after 100 pages.
Jill Harkness
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was just utter complete garbage, and that's sad to say for a sci-fi book. This author way of writing is atrocious that you spend your time trying to decipher the image in your head.

Going to warn anyone, do not pick up this book. Just run. And I found it in the library bookshop for 50 cents, I have the urge to go back and demand my money. Don't pay anything if this book isn't given to you for free. Even then, just use the book as a coaster.
Mike
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
To start with I haven't finished the book. I was only able to make it a third of the way through before I simply couldn't pick it up anymore. This is one of the most awful things that I have ever attempted to read.

The story at the start is a high class girl has a gene to fly some sort of biological space ship, but since she is not male it would be (I guess) extracted from her and given to some one else. She said it might, or maybe will, turn her mad and runs away. The person she wants to give it
James
Before I review this I have to admit to a simple fact; now that I am in university most of my reading time is now taken up by non-fiction literature, so as a result I am being extra harsh on books and (hopefully) only reading the best.

That said, this book was way too sporadic in its characters for me. I don't know how best to describe it, except to say that the author didn't spend enough time with a single character in one go for an emotional connection to be be formed. That coupled with the wa
Sander Bollen
Nov 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped
I'm not a person to quickly give up on a book, but this disaster of a book managed to get me to abandon it half way.

First of all, the writing style is just atrocious. Every sentence is its own paragraph. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but it does make the book difficult to read. Grammatically, it's an incoherent mess that is in need of some serious copy editing.

Then there's the overall feeling that the author watched a few episodes of Star Trek and decided that that was all there is to sc
Matt
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Starts off a little like one of the good Science-Fiction novels, and then gets even better as de Pierres adds her interesting and engaging characters into the mix. Once you start, you're hooked, and you're on a ride with four of the best (and award-winning) novels around! A wonderful four-act story, very engaging.
I read these after the Ixion trilogy and was surprised to see some elements from that trilogy in this series (I can't say without spoiling one story or the other).
Plenty of room to con
Helen Merrick
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So having received Transformation Space for christmas (its a tradition - all the Marianne de Pierres books i have were presents from hubby :-)) I have been putting off reading it. Why? Because I wanted to do it right, and go back and start the whole series again so it is fresh in my mind. I've read each one the instant they came out, and its so easy to lose the connections, to remember the history and relations of all the characters. So the great re-read begins today.
Will I get through the firs
Mardel
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I ever heard of Marianne De Pierres was when I picked up this totally bad-ass looking book called Nylon Angel. It was a kind of cyperpunk/sci-fi/urban fantasy mix. I guess that's why she's considered a speculative fiction writer. After reading Nylon Angel, I searched high and low for the other two of the series (Parrish Plessis series) Code Noir, and Crash Deluxe. Hell of a trilogy. One I kept thinking about long after reading.

After reading works from two separate series, and taki
Mark Webb
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2013
This review forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers 2013 Reading Challenge. All my 2013 AWWC reviews can be found here.

Dark Space is the first of the Sentients of Orion series by Marianne de Pierres. The storyline primarily follows three characters - Baronessa Mira Fedor, a member of the planet Araldis' aristocracy and born with a genetic makeup that allows her to interact directly with living spaceships, Trinder Pellegrini the spoiled son of Araldis' planetary ruler and Te
Tal
While drifting in space, lost due to navigational failure, a mineral scout discovers God. When word gets out, academics from the studiums across Orion scramble to gain the Entity’s favor. However, not all the sentients of Orion hold this "god" in awe—some, like the philosophers of Scolar and the Transhumans of Extropy are deeply suspicious. Onto the grand stage of interplanetary academic politics, intellectual conceit, and dubious theology walks Baronessa Mira Fedor. Her planet has been torn apa ...more
A.B.
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This book was not what I expected. When a book is called Dark space, I expect it to spend more time in space. That, while being a middling annoyance was overlooked easily enough.

The prologue-like beginning is strange, and the bits and pieces of… thoughts (maybe?) from Sol’s perspective are weird, but after the backstory of how the “sentient” species came to host a god in their corner of the universe is over, the plot moves along at a wonderful clip. And the events themselves are extremely inter
Frank
One of the easier reviews to write because I could... not... get... it... it. This has happened in the past and I tend to blame the reader, not the author. Mainly because I can't be specific about what didn't work; it was just... boring. I did have high expectations (non-US author, hard sci-fi with a strong female character, etc.) and maybe that caused the lack of interest in the book. The (sad) high point is that I finished it instead of giving up.
There is one specific thing I can point to that
Jay
There's a line when it comes to sci-fi where it becomes too difficult for me to read. This book just tiptoes over that line. I had to really struggle to read it, which is a pity as I really liked Marianne de Pierres' Parrish Plessis series. I could get into it when the sci-fi was light, but then it would cut to Jo-Jo and Tekton and the biozoons and my head would spin and I'd have to put it down and take a breather.

So, good idea, but too hard for me to really follow.
Elijs Dima
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do not expect Sci-Fi here.
Beyond the setpiece draping of 'generic space future', this is a romance novel seemingly aimed at young-adult demographic (whatever that actually is).
The chapters, events, characters all seem and read as if they were transcripts of a south-american telenovella.
The prose is somewhat stunted as well, throwing yet more curveballs at the reading experience.

If you want to read character-driven Sci-Fi.. Well, no, this is not worth it. If you want to read a romance novel.. Id
Emma Goss
Definitely different to the other Space Operas I have read. Confusing for about half the book due to naming of things, everything is unfamiliar and has a uniquely original name. The gender differences (societies 'classing' of males, females, family status and alien/ginko) within the story-line maintained a low level of anger within me as I read this novel. Despite everything I did like it enough to continue reading the series. It may improve.
Allan
Sep 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Good science-fiction tale with several story threads to keep things interesting.

Good, gritty political backstabbing and planetary invasion stuff while the antics of Tekton and JJ are verging on the hilarious.

A good start to the series that leaves you wanting to find out what happens next. I'll definitely be picking up the next one.
Louise
Rather a depressing book - with planetary invasions, skullduggery and double-crossing, rape, massacre, and a God-entity that makes meaningless comments between chapters. I found the characters to be rather shallow, and although this is the first of a trilogy, I am not inspired to read the next two to see if this changes.
Jaine Fenn
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best space operas I've read in a while; combines the sense of adventure and big-picture plotting I look for in my SF with confident and original world-building and interesting characters. I've already started on the next one in the series.
Jean
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book but was confused about how she would bring the characters together. Once you finish Dark Space you want to keep reading the series to find out what happens and how the characters come together.
Keke
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fuck Trin
Tressa
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Dark Space had fascinating societal structures. I am curious as to what will happen next and how the characters will further develop.
Anderdith
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good plot en strong characters.
I really enjoyed it.
At the beginning you have to adapt to her style of writing but after that it's a page turner.
TeaDrinker
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good writing style. Interesting plots. Maybe too many made up words and no glossary and no wiki.
Derek
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually thought of giving up on this one, but things really pick up in the second half of the book. I hope the rest of the series continues in this direction.
Rivqa
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pacey, clever space opera with great characters. Looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Meredith
Very atmospheric. Intriguing characters and plots. A little dark at times, which I enjoyed. I'll have to pick up the next book soon.
Doni
rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2012
  • Saturn Returns (Astropolis, #1)
  • Necropath (Bengal Station, #1)
  • Deadstock
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Bitter Angels
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Stealing Light (The Shoal Sequence, #1)
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • The Children
  • Am I Black Enough For You?
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
  • Night's Engines (The Nightbound Land, #2)
  • Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens #3)
  • Red Claw
  • Steal Across the Sky
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Marrow (Marrow, #1)
Marianne de Pierres is the award winning author of the acclaimed Parrish Plessis,Sentients of Orion and Peacemaker science fiction series. Marianne is an active supporter of genre fiction and has mentored many writers. She lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her husband and three galahs. Her Night Creatures series, Burn Bright, Angel Arias and Shine Light has been very popular among young adult fic ...more
More about Marianne de Pierres

Sentients of Orion (4 books)
  • Chaos Space (Sentients of Orion, #2)
  • Mirror Space (Sentients of Orion, #3)
  • Transformation Space (Sentients of Orion, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99