Start by marking “Rabbin katti” as Want to Read:
Rabbin katti

Rabbin katti (Le Chat du Rabbin #1-3)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,865 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
Tapaamme 30-luvun algeriassa kissan, joka asuu rabbin ja tämän kauniin tyttären Zlabyan luoa. Eräänä päivänä katti saa tarpeekseen perheen hölösuisesta papukaijasta... ja syö sen. Tämän tepposen ansiosta katti saa puhekyvyn, mutta omistajansa suureksi suruksi kissa alkaa oitis valehdella. Rabbi ryhtyy kouluttamaan kissasta kunnon juutalaista, mutta katti itse haluaisi vain ...more
Published 2006 by Egmont (first published 2002)

Melki
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good news is - the cat can speak!
The bad news is - he only tells lies!

Well, the second part is wrong, but he is one argumentative puss!
He argues theology with the rabbi, and makes fun of the man's students, going so far as to follow one young man to see if he frequents a whorehouse.

Cat and rabbi make a great comic duo. Observe this exchange where cat is reading aloud to the rabbi:

Cat - "Because if you want I can look for a fable with only kosher animals."
Rabbi - "Ah! Shut up and read."
Cat -
Natalie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been on my wishlist for ages because the promise of representing practicing Jewish characters in the graphic novel format (by an #ownvoices author!!!) sounded just like my kind of thing.

Set in Algeria in the 1930s, a cat belonging to a widowed rabbi and his beautiful daughter, Zlabya, eats the family parrot and gains the ability to speak. To his master’s consternation, the cat immediately begins to tell lies (the first being that he didn’t eat the parrot). The rabbi vows to educate him
Jan Rice

"Sfar-Rabbis Daughter". Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sfa...

The Rabbi's Cat, by French artist and writer Joann Sfar is a graphic novel set in Algeria in the 1930s.

Despite how his name sounds in English, the author isn't a woman. It's Joann as in Johann: John! Here he is with the model for his fictional cat:

Approaching this review, all I could think of at first was cat puns: The Cat-cher in the Rye. The cat without which there is nothing. A feline of v
Warwick
‘The children are all very loving. They succeed in everything they do, they bring me great satisfaction.’

‘Baruch HaShem!’

‘Bless you.’

Ah, I love me a classic Jewish gag like that. Le Chat du Rabbin is a clever and very charming BD about Algiers's Jewish community in the 1930s, narrated by the titular feline, who early on in the book eats a parrot and gains the ability to talk. He immediately demands a bar-mitzvah – but as you'd perhaps expect from a cat, he turns out to be a skeptic at heart:

So w
Scot
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an American compliation and translation of three related French graphic novel tales about the life of a Sephardic Algerian rabbi's cat in colonial Algeria round about the 1930s. The first of the three stories was my favorite, as the cat gains the power of speech after devouring a pet parrot and proceeds to argue theology and philosophy, requesting a Bar Mitzvah while also questioning the existence of God. The second story is an adaption of a classic French fable by Fontaine and includes ...more
أحمد
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
One of the most beautiful comics I've ever read! And one of the smartest books I've encountered.
I was really sad when I finished it. And I really hope I could find the second volume in English.
Caroline
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
A widowed rabbi, his cat and his daughter live in Algeria spin a story and lesson in Judaism very cleverly crafted in this graphic novel. Through the cat, who having eaten the family parrot, is imparted a miraculous ability to speak, questions and challenges to the Jewish faith are presented to the rabbi and the rabbi's rabbi. First the cat lies about eating the parrot, and then he insists on learning the Kabbalah and wants a Bar Mitzvah.

The rabbi's daughter gets married to a French rabbi and t
Laini
This is the third or fourth Sfar book I've read and I loved every panel and every word of it -- LOVED it. He really uses his quirky sense of humor to very human effect here, whereas in Vampire in Love or The Professor's Daughter things were a bit more zany -- fun, but harder to love. The story of an Algerian rabbi, his lovely daughter, and their witty, loving, maniacal, scheming cat (as narrated by the cat) is so winning, I can't even explain it. You just have to read it.
:-)
Shira Glassman
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shira by: Tof Eklund
Using the premise of "What if my cat could observe humanity with an intelligent, humanlike brain? What, then, would he think of Judaism, belief, Jewish law and practice, the interaction of Jews and Arabs, of men and women, and people in general?", the author shows us several events from the life of a family of Sephardic Jews in historical French Northern Africa. It's half story, half philosophy -- which is a very Jewish way to tell a story -- and sometimes the point is to show both sides of an a ...more
Norman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joann Sfar's writing is so human it is absolutely mesmerizing. Every character is successfully fleshed out and everyone is frolicking and cavorting with each other on the pages. Sfar builds a world where individuals are solitary by means of their relationships, so we learn how, even within a family, the idea of unity is more complex than certain.

Our main character, the rabbi, master of our cat narrator, is a pious, and at times childish, buffoon. We learn to love him and and pity him and relate
Amy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know how to describe this book, but I loved it. Jewish mysticism, Algiers in the 1930's, a sometimes-talking cat - it's a weird mash-up but it works beautifully. Gorgeous drawings and no cliches to be found.
Nate
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A peculiar, instantly engrossing graphic novel by Joann Sfar, an author who is new to me and who I was surprised to find when I got to the "about the author" page, is a man, despite having what seems to be a woman's name. I was very impressed by the author's knowledge of Jewish ritual and custom, but even more impressed by the unobtrusive way that he works it into the story. The story is both sad and funny in the best way.

One thing I find interesting about the structure of the story is the way o
Andrea
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: John
The Rabbi's cat gains the power to talk (by ingestion of parrot) and is no longer allowed to spend time with the Rabbi's daughter, whom he loves, because he is a bad influence. He asks to be bar mitzvahed so that he can be with her, and a delightful discussion ensues.

I loved the first story in this book. In fact, I might have to go back and steal it from John's so I can read it again whenever I want. The two stories that followed were great as well, but the first story made me fall in love with
Shruthi Mudireddy
A delicious book with a talking cat that argues philosophically with his master, an adorable old rabbi and his beautiful daughter. This book couldn't have gone wrong. Whilst reading it, I felt like I was walking through medieval Algeria with all its foibles and mannerisms. The book is not the least bit preachy, but you end up thinking deeply about religion and culture. Now that is some good writing and not to mention the evocative artwork. It feels a bit like the Aladdin set-up when you look at ...more
Mark
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 1920's Algeria and France, The Rabbi's Cat is an homage to author Joann Sfar family's history. The tale of how a young married couple blends Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jewish heritages makes for a very engaging graphic novel. Bonus points for the discussion of Maimonides The Guide for the Perplexed.
Prakriti Singh
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beautiful and breezy style of the author has completely floored me, He brings a lot of cultural aspects of Algerian jews to light which makes it a page turner, the character of the cat is hilarious and profound at the same time. His message is put across so light heartedly but sticks with you.
Nikki Morse
Interesting story, gorgeous drawings - both totally undermined by misogyny and empty, objectified female characters.
janine
2.5 stars; i really can't get into joann sfar
Brenna
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
In one sense, The Rabbi's Cat seems to represent a basic interpretation of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. And in others, it light-heartedly recreates the Jewish Algeria of the 1930s. The characters of The Rabbi, The Rabbi's Daughter, and The Rabbi's Cat display multi-faceted prisms of their own personalities - and the entire story is narrated through the eyes of a seven-year-old cat.

In its original French format, The Rabbi's Cat is a series of three (out of five) comic books detailing the
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Alex Wolfe
In this delightful and uproariously funny parable set in Algeria in the 1930s, the rabbi’s cat, a conniving, profane cat who appears to be a blue Abyssinian, devours a garrulous parrot, thereby acquiring the bird’s power of speech. The clever but prevaricating cat immediately launches into a campaign to get himself a Bar Mitzvah — despite the opposition of both the rabbi and the rabbi’s rabbi. Eventually, the rabbi relents due to the intervention of the rabbi’s beautiful daughter, Zlabya — to wh ...more
Soobie's heartbroken
Direi che son 2,5 stelline.

Questa è un'antologia che raccoglie i primi tre volumi della serie. La prima parte, quella in cui il gatto effettivamente parla, è stata la più pesante da leggere. Tanta filosofia e tanto ebraismo. E lo stile di narrazione contribuisce alla noia: infatti, tutto è raccontata dal gatto che riporta le parole degli altri protagonisti.

Nella prima parte, il gatto - dopo aver mangiato un pappagallino - acquista la capacità di parlare. E comincia a disquisire di religione con
Melanie Page
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Last month, I reviewed Sfar’s collection of four stories in one graphic novel called Vampire Loves . I was amused by the simplicity of the storytelling, a delightful feature of European books I don’t often see in American graphic novels. The Rabbi’s Cat was much, much better, and I’m sad to say that my copy is from the library. The story is set in Algeria in the 1930s and follows a cat that lives with his owners, a rabbi (his Master) and the rabbi’s daughter (his Mistress).

While I loved the sto
Justin
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely quirky graphic novel by the French comic book artist Joann Sfar. I'd never heard of this guy but supposedly he's pretty hot shit over in Europe (Wikipedia: "Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics.")

It's hard to be completely sure but I think The Rabbi's Cat takes place at the turn of the century, in Israel. As the title suggests, it follows the adventures of a rabbi and his cat, a rather scrappy fellow who has no qualms about ki
maha
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(يحتوي التقرير عن حرق للقصة)

عن سيرة كليلة ودمنة، وفي قالب كوميدي لطيف، تتحدث القصة عن قطة الرابي، وهو أحد اليهود الذين يعيشون في الجزائر في مطلع القرن الماضي
على عكس الرابي الذي يؤمن باله اليهودية، القطة لا تؤمن الا بابنة الرابي التي تولت عنايتها

منذ ابتلعت القطة الببغاء، حتى اكتسبت قدرة على النطق لتبدأ محاوراتها الشيطانية لتعبث بعقل الرابي الذي كانت حياته آمنة مستقرة
القطة ذاتها لم ترتح منذ اكتسبت القدرة على النطق

القطة لديها نظرة لادينية جذورها في الحياة، لديها اراء عن كون طلابه الذين يبدون بمنظر
Collin
I should really say 3.5 stars, because my enjoyment waned as the story started ending without much of a change in the pace or raising of the stakes, and because there was no real wrapping-up or sense of conclusion to the conflicts presented in the story. Idk. It was just a little bit of a fizzle at the end.

But! I really loved about the first half. The art is bizarre and weird - kind of like Pink Panther cartoons, almost? - and I loved the cat's devilish little expressions. A lot of artists seem
John Jr.
If you have an interest in graphic novels, I'd suggest you skip reading any reviews and simply locate this book and plunge in. Part of the fun of reading this comes from figuring out time and place and from finding out things about the characters. Every Goodreads review I glanced at gave away much of that.

What I'll say is this: There's a good deal of cultural atmosphere in the story, much of it related to Judaism, and there's a lot of fun in the plot developments as well as in the graphical styl
Eva Měřínská
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mekta, komiks
"Řeknu mu, že Bůh je jen smyšlená berlička. Že Bohu nikdo nedává pocit bezpečí, poněvadž je už starý a rodiče mu umřeli." (s. 20)
"Můj pán si myslí, že jsem potvora, protože lžu. když se to nemá, a pravdu říkám, jenom když bolí." (s. 22)
V češtině pouze dvě první alba (Bar micva a Malka, král lvů), zvlášť pvní díl je myšlenkově skvostný.
Rozpravy o judaismu, resp. víře, dogmatických pravdách a domněnkách v podání "němé" tváře odkrývají nečekané úhly pohledu.
Výtvarné ztvránění francouzského Alžírsk
Maggie Anton
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish, funny
I saw the animated movie first and loved it, so when I found the book at my local library I couldn't wait to read it. I wasn't disappointed. Funny, poignant, clever and charming, plus a bit of Jewish education from a talking cat. I found myself deliberately slowing down to savor the graphics and make it take longer to finish. I may be forced to actually buy the sequel The Rabbi's Cat 2 since my library doesn't have it.
Lynn
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to love about a cat who, after eating a parrot and thus winning the power of speech, argues with his rabbi master about theology? And is one of the most winsomely drawn cats since Patrick McDonnell's Mooch? There's a lovely warmth in this graphic novel that ultimately seems focused on connection and presence (with each other and with God and with animals and with place and so on). Once I finished it I wanted to read it again. So I did.
Kerfe
OK, I'd really like to give this graphic novel a 3 1/2. The illustrations are wonderful, and the story starts out well enough--a talking cat playing devil's advocate to the rabbi's own struggles with his religion--but once the cat stops talking and the rabbi's daughter marries, it loses its way in melodrama.
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • Chicken with Plums
  • Jamilti and Other Stories
  • The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West
  • The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue (The Contract With God Trilogy, #1-3)
  • A Bintel Brief: Love and Longing in Old New York
  • Berlin, Vol. 2: City of Smoke
  • Same Difference and Other Stories
  • The Tale of One Bad Rat
  • Unterzakhn (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
  • Cecil and Jordan in New York
  • Laika
  • Paul Has a Summer Job
  • Ordinary Victories
  • Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection, #1)
  • Koko Be Good
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g.
More about Joann Sfar...

Le Chat du Rabbin (6 books)
  • La Bar Mitsva
  • Le Malka des Lions (Le chat du Rabbin, #2)
  • L'Exode (Le chat du Rabbin, #3)
  • Le Paradis terrestre (Le chat du Rabbin, #4)
  • Jérusalem d'Afrique (Le Chat du Rabbin #5)
  • Tu n'auras pas d'autre dieu que moi (Le Chat du Rabbin, #6)

“You've been the rabbi here for thirty years and these guys who've never set foot here want to decide who should be rabbi or not. And to lead prayer in Hebrew for Jews who speak Arabic, they want you to write in French. So I say they're nuts.” 6 likes
“Los pequeños detalles muestran la extensión de lo que no sabes” 1 likes