Start by marking “My Manchester United Years (Audio CD): The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
My Manchester United Years (Audio CD): The Autobiography

My Manchester United Years (Audio CD): The Autobiography

Bobby Charlton is Manchester United through and through. He was a member of the original "Busby Babes" and has devoted his career to the club, playing in 754 games over 17 years. During that period he won everything the game had to offer, played alongside some of the greats such as Best and Law, suffered devastating defeats, and was involved in one of the greatest soccer t ...more
Audio CD, 128 pages
Published January 5th 2009 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Manchester United Years (Audio CD), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Manchester United Years (Audio CD)

Start your review of My Manchester United Years (Audio CD): The Autobiography
Silvana
17 January 2006. Man Utd cafe, Jakarta.

Sir Bobby Charlton: "Don't you have a camera?"
Me: *stammering* "Er....I have it somewhere...." (searching in panic for my friend who had the bloody cam but nowhere to be seen)
*picture finally taken, thanks to another friend who used his cell phone*
Me: "thanks a lot Sir, an honor to meet you...."
*hurriedly ushered away by the super paranoid/inflexible security officer*
*but….shaking with joy*

Photobucket

That's my once in a lifetime experience meeting with this legend
Pete daPixie
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: footie, autobiogs
My very earliest Manchester United memories go back into the mists of my time. Holding onto my father's hand being led through the crowds at Old Trafford. Passing the Munich memorial, smelling the liniment. Through the spine of the side I first watched, were the survivors from the '58 team.
Harry Gregg in goal. Shay Brennan at full back. Billy Foulkes in central defence. Dennis Viollet in attack, and Bobby Charlton playing on the wing. Through the decade of the sixties, through my early teen year
Shonaigh Mudie
Sir Bobby Charlton, it is his autobiography (which he does in two parts, one United and one England). It was a long awaited release. He goes back through his life, childhood, playing for United and speaks about modern day United and his love of a certain Paul Scholes in particular. It was such an incredible read and interesting to get a personal account of the man who seen it all in the brilliant and devastating times of Manchester United. The part about Munich is incredibly sad. Every United an ...more
F.G. Cottam
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very hard for a lifelong Liverpool fan to give this five stars but the book deserves it for its insights, honesty and for documenting so vividly the apprenticeship and career of a truly great footballer. Nothing like the cliched, anodyne rubbish that is usually served up as footballing autobiography.
Johnboy Somerville
What a player, what a life, what a man.....

An absolute must for any football fan (I am a Liverpool fan no less....)

The story of a man who has seen the good times, the bad times, the Best and in Munich the cruellest and horrors of life.

Here is the life of a gentleman who played for the team he loves and yes he did have some flaws and some bad press, but a true legend of the game.

There are many in the modern game that should heed his life lessons and be thankful for all they have....
Mika
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent read for a football fan, especially if you are a Manchester United fan. You can't be a Manchester United fan and not know its colorful history or not know about the Busby Babes or Munich or Sir Bobby Charlton. Not knowing those is like walking into Old Trafford and NOT see the statue of Sir Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and George Best. Sir Bobby Charlton is a legend. I would totally recommend this book to anyone who loves the beautiful game.
Stuart S
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are plenty of other reviews, so I won't go on too much. But I will say that this is THE finest sports biogaphy, or autobiography, I've ever read.

It's not just that it's a wonderful, moving, and as we all know, tragic story - it's the way it is written. Quite clearly the collaboration between Bobby Charlton and James Lawton has worked superbly.

I do have just one complaint, though - why does Charlton insist, throughout the book, on referring to the late, great Sir Matt Busby as "the Old Man"
Graham
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, written by one of the true gentlemen of the game. Sir Bobby talks honestly about his life in football both as a player, manager and director - from the high points of the 1966 World Cup victory and the 1968 European Cup win over Benfica (in which he scored twice) - to the horrifying tragedy of the Munich air disaster of 1958, and the real sadness you sense when Sir Bobby talks about the demise of his friend, George Best.

I found this book a little jumpy at times in terms of dates (in
sam cerw
May 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football
No wonder Sir Bobby is a football "ambassador". He's got well honed political skills after serving on the United board for over a quarter of a century and representing English football on the biggest stages. Therefore, this book is a very "diplimatic" account of life at Old Trafford. The only time he opens up is to defend his wife's honour after comments made in another book by his older brother Jack. That sequence and his vivid and poignant account of the aftermath of the Munich disaster saves ...more
Tony
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic football biog in which one of the game's great gentlemen tries to make sense of his survival from the Munich air disaster and uses a natural footballing ability, augmented by hard graft and the outstanding coaching of the legendary Jimmy Murphy, to rebuild Manchester United for The Old Man, Sir Matt Busby. Even Man U-detractors (like me) will like this book.
Bill
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, football
For anyone who grew up in the sixties glory days of English football this is an essential read. Bobby Charlton is still agreat ambassador for the game and remains one of only two English players to have won a European Cup and World Cup winners medal.

The passages about the Munich air crash are very poignant and excellently written.
Mrinal Somani
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read! Epitomizes the spirit of football itself. Sir Bobby Charlton is a great example of a player who ensured the game always stood at the top, not a person. Salute to one of the greats, and the Busby years. Enchanting book, one for anybody who has ever watched, played or discussed football.
Marzena
A must read for any United supporter. Sir Bobby is a person inseparably connected with this club, a legend and one of the best footballers playing for the Red Devils. His autobiopgraphy is a great inside view of the club's matters and history. Very modest, very honest and with a light humour is a read any football fan can enjoy.
Pálma
Mindegy, hogy szereted-e a labdarúgást vagy a Manchester Unitedot a bevezető és az, ahogyan a müncheni tragédiáról ír ezen a néhány oldalon át nagyon hatásos. Teljesen egyetértek avval az állítással, ami a könyv hátulján olvasható: "They are the most powerful pages ever written in a football book."
Egy jól megírt bevezető. Ennyi kellett ahhoz, hogy felejthetetlenné váljon ez a könyv.
Bilal
Can someone help me,how do I read it
Coz I can't find the read button
I just downloaded this app so I don't know much
Teresa
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent memoir of the days when football was less of a business and much less tribal than it is now. A true gentleman of the game.
Ows Thomas
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Manchester United, England or Sir Bobby then this is the book for you. Chronicling the life of one of the games legends.
Darren Keighley
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modest but fantastic read.
Victor Caamaño
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into a footballer's life, particularly a legend who worked with other legends. Definitely for the football fan, even more so a Man United fan. Well written sports book.
Adam Cave
Nice recount of his club years; gripping re telling of Munich, you can see how it shaped him. Football was better then. Purer. Simpler.
Sam Jones
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best football books I have read. Charlton's account of the Munich tragedy is very moving.
Payal

• Leading: Learning from Life and My Years at Manchester United
  • Clough The Autobiography
  • Keane:  The Autobiography
  • Blessed - The Autobiography
  • Manchester United: The Biography: The Complete Story of the World's Greatest Football Club
  • Billy Connolly
  • The Damned Utd
  • Penso quindi gioco
  • Luka Modric: Official Autobiography
  • El Diego: The Autobiography of the World's Greatest Footballer
Sir Robert "Bobby" Charlton CBE (born 11 October 1937 in Ashington, Northumberland) is a former English professional football player who won the World Cup and was named the European Footballer of the Year in 1966. He played almost all of his club football at Manchester United, where he became renowned for his attacking instincts from midfield and his ferocious long-range shot.

He began to play for