Start by marking “7: The Mickey Mantle Novel” as Want to Read:
7: The Mickey Mantle Novel

7: The Mickey Mantle Novel

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Mickey Mantle loved sex. And getting drunk. Those are the topics of discussion as the baseball hero, now in heaven, pulls up a chair with writer Leonard Shecter. Together they rehash Mantle's life, from his X-rated bedroom exploits and his treatment of fans to his relationship with the media and his phenomenal career. Nothing is left uncovered in a story that reveals Mantl ...more
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Phoenix Audio (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7

Nicolo Yu
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A fun read, I really enjoyed the parts detailing Mickey Mantle's career with the New York Yankees. But what made this different from other sports biographies is that this was writeen as a novel with Mantle narrating his story to a sports writer.
If even a third of his sex exploits here are true, I guess he'd rival Wilt Chamberlain for "scoring."
Kay
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
This is an 'X' rated book that would make a sailor blush. And you may wonder why I read it? After searching for a biography of Mickey Mantle that wasn't just stats, I came across this one in a used book store. After paying $12 for the hardback I wasn't about to put it down after reading a few chapters. So call me cheap!

To give some credit however, this book was funny and the way it was written was extremely creative. Mickey Mantle, after death and in home in Heaven, has decided he would like a '
Bill Hall
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball, fiction
I recently read “Seven, The Mickey Mantle Novel” by Peter Goldenbock. Peter’s best known as the author of a number of sports related oral histories, so a novel was a bit of a departure for him. I started the book with curiosity and a bit of trepidation, given the mixed reviews it received at the time it was published in 2007. If you trusted the advance coverage and some of the reviews, you might have concluded that “Seven” was going to be a non-stop tale of Mickey’s sexcapades. Yes, there’s sex ...more
carl  theaker
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sportz

Found this one on the bargain rack for 99 cents, and still i paid too much!

Author Golenbock relays stories collected over the years of the athletic adventures
of Mickey Mantle and friends, be they drinking, sexual, or even occasionally on
the baseball diamond. The trouble is, he can't really verify their
authenticity, to one level or another, so he calls this an "inventive memoir"
and labels it fiction. Seems fair, at least he informs you.

The trouble is he spends a lot of this time putting wor
Bobbie Grob
Jul 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrible book. It is nothing more than a confusingly realistic (is it fiction or non-fiction? Even the author doesn't seem certain) ode to Mickey Mantle's huge black book. I am aware that there are plenty of women out there who are eager to sleep with a celebrity so Mickey Mantle didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but his disrespect and disregard for anyone but himself, especially women, is evident in his far too frequent use of the word "puss".

As a life-long baseball fan I was loo
Jason
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baseball Fans
Written as the oral autobiography of The Mick from a sports bar in Heaven (12 years after Mantle's death, because, let's face it, he had some purgatorial cleansing to do before his soul was heaven-worthy), this book is a fictionalized account of the Yankee legend's exploits off of the field...a great deal of sex and boozing in the book, but entertaining as hell! If The Mick and Billy Martin got away with half of the shit they're credited with in this novel, they were the Rolling Stones of baseba ...more
Debra
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
As Opening Day approaches, the urge to read baseball books returns. Found this novel in my library's Overdrive collection, so decided to give it a try.

(later) Golenbeck did give me a picture of the Mick as a person. It held my interest...although I rated it based on the overuse of his sexual exploits. Yeah we got the idea that he was a horndog. Which isn't exactly a revelation. So page after page was just overkill, and ultimately boring.
Steven Nicolle
This was a pretty awesome book on the Yankees during the 50's and 60's and all the stuff that happened. Quite a recount of what took place. I couldn't put it down and I learned a heck of a lot of Mickey who just retired around when I was 9 years old. He was some hitter and womanizer! Really enjoyed the book.
JoAnn
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports-related
This book really broke the myth of Mickey. Yeah everyone knows he was a womanizer and drank a lot, but wow, this book really shows it. The book is fiction, but there's a lot of truth to it. The way he wrote it was very cool, having a sportswriter interview him while at a bar in heaven!
Brad
Sep 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at The Mick. I the structure of the novel and how he is telling it from Heaven looking back on what was and what could of been. But if I never hear the word puss again I think I will be happy. Billy Martin Rocks!!!
Dennis Madden
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too graphic and unrealistic. When did the mick have time to play baseball or according to this thesis it was not he most talented activity.
Bryan
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read, but the author took MANY liberties with this one.
Tina
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the baseball but the off-the-field parts left me cold. If this novel is close to the truth, Mick was a sad case.
Mike Brownhill
Kevin Vrabel
Oct 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Happy Birthday, Peter Golenbock! 1 1 Jul 19, 2017 10:06AM
Golenbock grew up in Stamford, Connecticut, and in 1963 graduated St. Luke's School in New Canaan, Connecticut. His heroes were Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford. One day in the local library he discovered the book, The New York Yankees: An Informal History by Frank Graham ( G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1943) and it made a strong impression on him.''

Golenbock graduated from Dartmouth College in 1967 and the N
More about Peter Golenbock...
“the window for hours. He wouldn't talk to anyone. The players whispered that Joe and his first wife, Dorothy, had been dating, trying to get back together,” 0 likes