Start by marking “Every Vow You Break” as Want to Read:
Every Vow You Break

Every Vow You Break

The Wayland family leave England to spend the summer in Trout Island, upstate New York. Lara hopes the summer away from home will give her time to learn to love her husband again. However, Lara embarks on an affair with an old lover. She knows she's playing a dangerous game. What she doesn't know is that it's also a deadly one.
Published March 1st 2012 by Headline (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Every Vow You Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Vow You Break

Beadyjan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I was so looking forward to reading this book and when I won a copy in a prize draw was thrilled but it just somehow missed the mark a little.

Don't get me wrong the story is a good idea, its tense and quite gripping but the characters failed to convince me, they all seemed just a touch overblown, caricatures rather than real people I could completely believe in and relate to.

The idea is good, The Wayland family from England arrive in the USA for a summer break with a diff
The Cats’ Mother
I went in to this with low expectations, based on most of the reviews and the tepid remarks of whoever handed it over at book club, so fully expected to DNF it after a short while, having only picked it up as a safe pick to read in the tub. I got sucked in by the early chapters and better than expected writing, it’s a creepy psychological thriller, but then it turns into a completely OTT melodrama in the last third, leaving me eye-rolling and rather sickened by the ending.

Lara Waylan
Simon Lipson
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This just about creeps into three star territory for me. I mean, I finished it, which is more than I can say for several books I've attempted to read lately.

This is a fairly tame story which picks up pace towards the end, but had me wondering whether it was worth the journey. A British family relocate to a backwoods town in New York state for 6 weeks to allow the father, a third division actor, to play Shakespeare at the local community theatre. The rest of the family - mother, twin 16 year old
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Don't waste your life reading this trite crap, there are better books that do this story line miles MILES better. One of the worst books I have read for a long time. And who wrote in their review "they loved the way the author wrote"?? There was no lovely language, no play on words, no cleverness. It was utter tripe. The actual story has been done so many times before and there was absolutely no suspense - you knew exactly how it was going to play out and who was going to do what to whom.
Felicity Terry
Nov 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
One of those novels that just when you think you have it sussed off it goes in another direction. Not always a bad thing, indeed it can be great fun when you didn't see some plot development or other coming, but in this instance rather than wondering in which way the story would take me I was simply left pondering how much more ludicrous and far-fetched it could get ... not to mention just how much more linguistically advanced the four year old Jack could possibly become.

A difficult book to rev
pdbkwm
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've read books by Julia Crouch before, but this is definitely my least favourite one. The synopsis makes it seem like this will be a thriller that has 'deadly consequences,' but it never really felt like it. Even at the end when the villain shows up, it doesn't feel shocking or suspenseful. Things just happen and since you're already at the end of the book you expect things to be solved soon.

The characters, other than Lara and Bella, have no depth to them. And while we got a resolut
Cleopatra  Pullen
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm afraid I didn't enjoy this story as much as Julia Crouch's debut [[ASIN:B004P8ITIS Cuckoo] which I thought was a great read.

The first half of this book seemed to meander introducing us to Lara, her actor husband Marcus and their 3 children, teenage twins Olly and Bella plus 4 year old Jack. They are moving to Trout Island in New York as Marcus has been asked to play the lead part in MacBeth at the local theatre. There are lots of bemusing happenings in the creepy house, Olly find
Lottie-Alice
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked Every Vow You Break, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed Cuckoo by the same author. I felt this one, while decent, was a bit predictable and I found myself more interested in the dynamic and history of Bella and Olly (and was mildly miffed that we didn't really get closure with that, actually). I pitied Lara rather than feeling bad for her, which wasn't a good feeling especially when (view spoiler) ...more
Richa Setia
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Dilatory start for a thriller novel, which ended in the most satisfying climax. Once you are settle with the characters and the backdrop, there is never a dull moment in it and you can feel the creepy, unsettling feeling growing inside u too.

A enjoyable read for thriller' fan.
Nicole Carey
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a book another one I stayed up untill late into the night to find out what happened. I will be looking out for more books by Julia Crouch.
Pat
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Never cared for the characters. I don't know how I came across this book, but it was NOT very good.
Sylvia
Sep 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not as good as her other books
comfort
Marcus Wayland and his family take up an offer to spend the summer on Trout Island where Marcus (an actor) is cast for the local dramatic society's next play.

They are given a house just out of town, which comes with a bad reputation. Strange things start to happen to the members of the family.

In the meantime Stephen a successful actor and a friend of Marcus and his wife Lara.

Lara and Stephen had a fling years ago and seem to want to start it up again.
Lauren K
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Every Vow You Break is a thriller set in contemporary America; the Wayland family relocate from England to Trout Island in New York for six weeks. Marcus has accepted a once in a lifetime acting role with the local theatre and hopes to make a break in the U.S. Lara, his wife and three children go along with him for the ride.

Lara feels her marriage is a bit stale and hope the change in scenery will give them the opportunity to re-connect and for her to start her own business
Lindsay
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
'It looked like the kind of place you suffocated in.'

Every Vow You Break is the story of one summer in the lives of the Wayland family, parents Lara and Marcus, sixteen-year-old twins Bella and Olly and young five-year-old Jack. As the novel commences, we meet them newly arrived in New York State, driving to Trout Island, which is to be their summer home for the next six weeks as actor Marcus takes up the lead role in a play there. Theatrical friend James has sorted some local
Jane
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-new
Very slow pasting story, good twist.
Bill Kupersmith
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Julia Crouch develops her story slowly with lots of attention to domestic details, household management, and childcare, none of which much advance the plot. The principal character, Lara, seemed rather thick and passive. She has been married for seventeen years to Marcus, an egocentric and totally selfish boor, who thinks of nothing but his own career, which in fact is going nowhere. I cannot believe that a mother would not realise that something seriously wrong was going on with Bella and Ollie ...more
Helen
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and did not want to put it down.

It moves at an incredibly slow pace for the first 300 pages or so. You almost believe nothing is going to happen because you are so far into the book. Having said that, there is never a dull moment. The slow start lures you into the world of the Waylands and gives you plenty of time to familiarise yourself and get involved with the characters.

The start is like being in a rickety rollercoaster ascending so slowly you almost wonder i
Bennie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book. No, I wanted to love it. It starts deliciously dark, with a long, ragged journey in the middle of the night. An unhappy wife recovering from surgery, a husband with too many other things on his mind, and teenagers who are for the most part not there. But while the plot takes a number of interesting turns as the family settles into Trout Island, everything simply take too long. Every scene is darwn out with unnecessary detail about the place and the food, with very lit ...more
Meera
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Once again, Julia Crouch has written a thriller about some thoroughly horrible people. I struggled with this book as all the characters were pretty nasty and also a little unbelievable - from the violent and precocious teenage children, the slightly backwards young child who nevertheless seems to understand things beyond his years, the adulteress mother, and the shallow and vain failed actor of a father. They go the US for a fateful summer, which is supposed to help them rebuild their family and ...more
Vicky
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I've given this 3 stars because I found it utterly un-put downable! I liked the creepy, stalkerish elements, as well as the attention to detail - I felt like I really knew my way around the town. I really had empathy for Lara. She deserves a medal for putting up with Marcus.
What I didn't like was the relationship between the twins and I felt like the book could've coped without the little bit of backstory between them.
Unfortunately I did manage to guess what the twist would be around half
Ogz
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book one bit! I'd say probably it's just me, I can't stand swear words or Children with such evil minds of incest, also an adulteress for a mother. This book was just wrong for me. Others may find it fascinating but I don't.

The writing style was so difficult to grasp. I'd say not organised and the title was so good I thought it would be good. It took too long time to get into this book and I couldn't put myself through the pain to finish it.

I'm sorry Julia Crouc
Sibal Wadi
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Firstly this book isn't a psychological thriller because it is very predictable . Anyone can guess what's going on in the book and what will be the ending so it really wasn't a suspense novel. I am a sucker for good psychological thrillers but this one didn't impressed me. Ending was seriously very lousy and who can't expect such an ending when the main character was such a naive one.
3 stars for Bella as she was the only believable character in the whole book.
Merryn Allingham
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed parts of this book but I found its 'heroine' irritating and frankly unbelievable. She spends hours mooning over her long lost love (and I guessed how that would turn out) while her daughter hides for days under her bedclothes. Lara, though, assumes that the girl is out and about enjoying herself. She's also glad that her son has made friends on vacation. The friends turn out to be the local thugs and her son is soon smoking weed with them and on a spree of violence.
Waterstones Peterborough
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Natasha thought...

I really enjoyed this crime novel by british author Julias Crouch; it is really creepy and interesting. It follows a british family as they follow their father to the US where he has a summer job acting in a theatre, but eerie things begin to happen to them... Really enjoyed this one!
Sandy
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Julia Crouch's second novel. Too much romantic suspense for my tastes I'm sorry to say.
Plotlines a bit thin in places, some places too incredible to be taken seriously! I'd worked out what was going on at about page 350 so not bad on letting the cat out of the bag. Tarnished, her third novel is much better than this and Cuckoo was better than this also!
Ajanthi
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
wow!It was an amazing thriller.It got so interesting at the end...I thoroughly enjoyed the story.It was a scary,spooky and romantic.This could well turn into a nice thriller movie.I loved it...highly recommend to everyone.

I stayed up so late..i was having trouble sleeping...i remembered all the spooky things. nowthat I have finished reading the book....I can get some sleep!!
Gemma
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many themes in this book troubled me. Marcus and Lara both selfish in different ways. Ridiculous. Olly, an awful human being. What a terrible mother Lara was to Bella, never gave her the time of day. The second half of the book was an improvement, yet it was an effort to finish this book. Disturbing themes, not recommended.
Rachel Burke
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasnt as slow as other reviewers said though i agree some of the characters werent entirely believable especially the 5 year old who seemed more like a toddler and the teenage son who was delinquent but no one notices. i liked the setting and the observations on US small town life. not a bad read really!!
Maggie James
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Overall, this was an enjoyable and undemanding read. It started off well, but I thought the book sagged a little towards the end. The plot became somewhat unbelievable, and the author didn't really finish off the subplot of Bella/Olly's relationship. From what I've read, I gather the author's other book 'Cuckoo' is better, so I may give that one a go.
How believable is the heroine of Every vow you Break 1 4 Dec 11, 2014 08:32AM

• Tell Me No Secrets
  • Blink of an Eye
  • The Child Inside
  • Penguin's Poems For Love
  • The Life You Want
  • The Day You Saved My Life
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • It Happened One Summer