Start by marking “Flourishing” as Want to Read:
Flourishing

Flourishing

At a time of deep crisis the notion of flourishing seems unimaginable. However, distinguished psychologist Maureen Gaffney believes passionately that not only is it possible for us to flourish, but in an increasingly uncertain world, it is essential that we plan to do so.

Flourishing is about achieving a deeper sense of well-being, meaning and purpose despite, and indeed
Published October 27th 2011 by Penguin Ireland

To ask other readers questions about Flourishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flourishing

Start your review of Flourishing
Derbhile Graham
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a devotee of self helps books, but this book is potentially life changing. Lightbulbs popped in my head every few pages. Rather than glibly promote positive thinking, it explains why we think negatively and why we need to reinforce positive experiences to counteract the negative ones. Saying that no one drives you crazy without your cooperation, or that dwelling on a problem actually makes it worse, may seem like stating the obvious to some, but it is one thing to comprehend ...more
Aoife Driver
I loved Maureen gaffney a other book the way we live now. With this book I got a lot of insights and valuable information but it took me 7 days to read because it was so sense with information some of it slightly repetitive. I particularly enjoyed the relationship and personality info as well as the first hand stories. All in all I got a lot from this book but struggled to get through parts of it.
J. Schmidt
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal! It is extremely well written and inspiring. It is one of those books where I ended up highlighting 1/3 of the book and I review those highlights again and again. It is very insightful and opens the door to so many topics dealing with personal well-being and growth. Inspired by this book I now have at least 10 new books on my to read bookshelf, e.g. on post-traumatic growth, optimism, focus, goal-setting etc.
Karolina Janus
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Martin Glen
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Could be framed as Dr Gaffneys Magnum Opus. A distillation of the past few decades of Positive Psychology research, and practical advice and activities suggested. The Ten Step framework for Flourishing (being in a state where positive experiences negate more inherently impactful negative ones) includes activities that are all largely solid and achievable. In fact, the sheer volume of information and strategies within make it a book that will become a source of ongoing reference.
Michele
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book- it broke things down into reasonable bits so that the reader can really consider where they are, WHY, and what steps they want to take not just to get by, but to thrive, despite it all.
Rebekah Burder
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not your typical self-help book. It's more a collection of the author's research and ideas on what it meant to flourish. I found it very helpful, and am going to go through it again to pull out what I need to apply in my life. Very well-written.
Aine
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great insight into life and how we can be our best in all areas of it.
As ever, Maureen Gaffney is practical and descriptive and 'Flourishing'is one of those books worth dipping into in the future as a reference tool.
Penelope
I'm surprised that i'm enjoying this book, as I find the topic too similar to all of the self-improvement stuff. However the book is contemporary and well researched and well structured, and helpful.
Aislingcoughlan
Apr 17, 2013 is currently reading it
Ii
Margaret
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, although I don't think there was anything especially new here. But I'm always looking for studies that show students how they can be successful. And this one had several :)
Abby Wynne
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very academic read for an audience who requires simplicity. I'd probably not recommended it to clients.
Caroline
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book may have changed my life.It certainly gives a common sensical blue print for a better life. I amon my second read and it just perks me upto read a few pages.
Heli
Oct 05, 2016
Carmel Kelly
Jan 06, 2017
John Stanley
rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2013
Sep 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Development as Freedom
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
  • The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else
  • Oscar and Lucinda
  • 1Q84 (1Q84, #3)
  • Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life
  • Staring at Lakes: A Memoir of Love, Melancholy and Magical Thinking
  • Our Man in Havana
  • The Battle
  • The Luminaries
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
  • Unbelievable: From My Childhood Dreams To Winning Olympic Gold
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • In Your Prime: Older, Wiser, Happier
  • The Week I Ruined My Life: A powerful thought provoking story of being true to yourself
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • The Hot Topic: A life-changing look at the Change of Life
“The essence of learning to be grateful is to learn to want what you have.” 2 likes
“In traditional societies, we could explain away setbacks and failures as God’s will, or fate, or bad luck. Now, there is no hiding place for failure. There is an assumption that if we” 0 likes