Start by marking “Divergent (Divergent, #1)” as Want to Read:
Divergent (Divergent, #1)

Divergent (Divergent #1)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,560,140 ratings  ·  91,302 reviews
Paperback features over fifty pages of bonus materials, including a sneak peek of Insurgent, an author Q&A, a discussion guide, a Divergent playlist, faction manifestos, and more!

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dau
Published February 28th 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Divergent, please sign up.

Heather If you haven't already watch the movie first. I did and it really helped me to understand what was going on in the book much better.
I've always…more
I've always heard, "Read the book first then watch the movie." I find it much easier and less frustrating to do it in reverse. Not only do I understand the book more but I'm able to watch the movie and not complain about how they skipped this or they left that out. I can watch the movie and enjoy it as intended instead of nitpicking it apart.
Book is great and yes you should read it.(less)
Bree Yerbury It's a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best. So it's set in the future and basically the world has started to crumble and cities have been…moreIt's a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best. So it's set in the future and basically the world has started to crumble and cities have been split, abandoned and the remaining ones have been put into factions like in the Hunger Games where they belong to districts. A girl named Tris lives in the new Chicago where the factions are based on your personal traits; bravery, selflessness, peace etc. When she turns 16 she has to take a test to choose which faction best suits her. In this test usually you only belong to one catergory but Tris belongs to 3, which they call divergent. After the choosing ceremony Tris picks the most unusual choice of faction and learns the real dangers of being Divergent. If you are planning on watching the movie I reccomend you read the book first as you'll be able to pick up on things. Hope this helps.(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Books Ever
24th out of 39,746 books — 148,741 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins1984 by George OrwellThe Giver by Lois LowryDivergent by Veronica RothBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
4th out of 2,226 books — 18,918 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

We all know why Divergent was written. There is no doubt 99% of dystopias published during the last year or so have been trying to at least partially replicate the success of the trilogy. Public wants to read more dystopian stories, publishers want to sell them, authors want to write them. Everyone is happy.

I have read a few new dystopias recently and liked or disliked them to various degrees. There are dystopias for any taste, dystopias that emphasize separate aspect
Rick Riordan
I definitely enjoyed it. At first, I had trouble convincing my older son to read it, because he was convinced that every dystopian novel is a "Hunger Games" wannabe, but he read it on a recent plane trip and we had a great in-depth discussion about the characters and their motivations.

The premise: Chicago of the future is a closed city-state. The citizenry really doesn't have any idea what is beyond their borders. They just know it's dangerous. Inside the city, humanity is divided into five fact
Elle

There comes a time in every average, misunderstood, flat chested, never-been-kissed, pre-war heroin, sixteen year old girl's life when she must decide between right and wrong.

Yes. RIGHT and WRONG.

Not Harry and Sam. Or Harry and Mike. Or, frak help us, Harry, Sam AND Mike. No no. In Divergent, Good, Evil and Tris are our love triangle. How utterly refreshing.

Now, don’t get me wrong. You will find your standard amount of PG-rated teen romance in this book. Check it:

Oh, eh... Wrong book. My bad.

But
karen
i need to make something perfectly clear. i am well aware that i gave 4 stars to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. and i am giving 5 stars to this one.

the world is a tough and inconsistent sphere.

because Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a much much better written book. it's no contest. she is lush and lyrical and there is a gravity to her writing that makes you stop every so often to murmer "well said, laini taylor, well said..."

this book is just fun.
fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun

this is unexpected pil
mark monday
Dear Hunger Games,

I miss you. I really do. Our relationship is over and done with but the memory of you still lingers on. I know that's a terrible cliché - and you hate clichés - but it's a true one, at least in this case. I don't think I'll ever be over you. You are fucking special.

It took me some time, but I finally met a new girl. Her name is Divergent. She's quiet and strong and short-tempered and insular and brave... a lot like you, I suppose. But is she really? This is hard for me to admit
Nataliya
Heh. I'm torn now. I eyerolled so much while reading this book that I may have permanently damaged at least some of my cranial nerves. And yet I read it in one sitting, annoyingly and inexplicably entertained. Go figure.

There just may have been some facepalming as well.

It's yet another young adult dystopia based on a stupid premise. Seriously, it's plainly ridiculous. If I had to compare it to something equally ridiculous it'd have to be the notion of sparkly vampires. I'm not kidding. Just list
Wigs

What kind of ridiculous mess...

Oh man.

So I know I say this in dissenting opinion, as many on my friends list are partial to this book, but I could not stand it. So before I go off on my tirade, I must explain. You may be thinking to yourself why I gave it two stars and not one, if I’m complaining so much. Let me explain that two is pretty low on my scale. Two is “why did I buy this.” Or read this. Or whatever. One star is dramatic. One is “this should not have been written,” which I have given o
Hannah
THE SEVEN STAGES OF READING HELL: When You Realize You're Going to be the Odd Man Out (Once Again) With a Wildly Hyped and Popular Book that Everyone Else Loved

as Presented by:
The Coterie of Emotive Kittehs (courtesy of Google Images)

December 13, 2011

Page 354:

Page 404:

Page 475:

Final Analysis of my Reading Experience:

(What? You didn't think I was going to show a kitteh with a knife in its eye, did you?)

Rating: A (Very) Generous 1 Star

The Moral of this Review:
I sh
Marg K.
Original Review Date: June 22, 2011

Prior to reading Enclave, I had already set the bar of expectations pretty low for dystopian YA fiction. Afterwards, I reset it to about a foot off the ground. Therefore, all Divergent had to do in order to get into my good graces was a little hop right over to the other side. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, right? Obviously not 'cos Divergent aimlessly stumbled about, tripped over its own feet, and then proceeded to face plant into the ground like a drunken frat b
Kat Kennedy
Today I almost attacked a man in public. A man who was yelling at and abusing his partner. Kicking the trolley, shoving her and screaming obscenities at her. I ditched the trolley I'd been pushing and stormed toward them, my mind blank of anything but ruthless fury.

The next part was like out of some stupid romance novel. Mr Kennedy pulled back on my arm and said, "No. There is no way you're going over there!" He took off the baby sling, handed it to me and sent me to go put the groceries and bab
Kiki
So the other night I wake up at like four a.m. with a splitting headache, itchy, weepy eyes and a stuffy nose. I open the window to try to clear it, y'know, as you do, but this is January in Canada and unless you want to give yourself hypothermia just to take your mind off the annoyance of having a cold, it's best not to leave the windows open for any length of time.

I lie back and swear to myself. What the hell? I've a presentation to give that day and screw it, I can't flake out and explain it
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Any book that arrives heavily hyped usually has a ton of marketing power behind it. Sure, there are critical reviews to consider, but these days consumers are more aware than ever of the dollars at stake behind book and film negotiations. Which means that there's a lot of pressure riding on any book to live up to its promise, particularly one that comes from a 23-year-old author who has already landed a 3-book deal and signed away the movie rights.

After so many big dollar and wearisome
Steph Sinclair

Whoa.

Breathe, Stephanie. Breathe.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This.Was.Good. It seems like every dystopian book that comes out now is being compared to The Hunger Games. Well, if there was ever a book that might come close to that comparison it would be Enclave and now Divergent.

Veronica Roth's debut novel Divergent is getting some major hype and you know what? I think it deserves it. It's no secret that I have a dystopian society book addiction right now, but Divergent is just what I love in a book. It had loads of actio
Arlene
Apr 10, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Booker ARC Tour - Alexa Thank you!
This book is totally WICKED!! I am, without a doubt, hooked. I want more… NOW!

Divergent by Veronica Roth is one of the more highly anticipated YA dystopic novels set to come out next month, so I’m very fortunate for my Street Corner Booker friend for sharing this great read with me on our ARC tour. Thank you Alexa!

I have to say, I had an absolute blast reading this wild ride of an adventure, and I enjoyed every minute of it. EVERY.SINGLE.MINUTE! I haven’t had this sort of rush since Katniss ent
Reader-ramble
Sep 13, 2014 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would burn it.
Recommended to Reader-ramble by: Sadly, I went looking for it.
Shelves: ya-to-avoid
Okay, so the movie came out on disk, and I was surfing one of my favorite channels on YouTube, when I found this video by CinemaSins. It's a fun and irreverent bit of criticism. Enjoy!

Since I managed to get 100 likes before the movie came out, I will be reviewing Insurgent and Allegiant in the future. It may be a while though. Life is a bit in the way.

Okay, time to get serious. I wish I could be funny like my Mortal Instrument reviews, but my intellectual has kicked in because this book manages
Lyndsey

Everything that rises must Diverge.

Or that seems to be the philosophy of this book. Divergent poses that as a society progresses, it becomes more segregated, as opposed to more integrated. Likely? NO. Fun? HELL YES.

Does it smell like Hunger Games in here to you?

Check out the video for this Hunger Games parody at the end of the article Part Two of The Best YouTube Book Trailers.

Imagine a culture where everyone is separated into groups based on their one key defining character trait.

One of these f
Stephen
This book’s sobriquet should be "the comeback kid" because its final rating of 3 solid stars required it to overcome a seriously frustrating first half that had me ready to do great violence to it.

Before I expound on the redemptive, grace/face/rating saving virtues of second half of the book, I need to rant vent a bit regarding what turned my hackles all red and puffy.

THE SIN:

I am a SF dystopian connoisseur and I love a well-conceptualized “world in the shitter” set up. I am happy if the autho
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I'm going to do something that I have never done before. I'm going to rate this book lower than every single one of my Goodreads friends. Do you know why?

Because I hated the CRAP out of this book.

Now what follows might offend some lovers of this book. To "Divergent" fans: I'm sorry I'm going to rip on one of your favorite books. But honestly I almost wish I had this in paperback form so I could get the satisfaction of throwing it in the garbage. With gusto. Or maybe the fireplace...

Let me star
Emily May

Okay, okay, I completely understand why people could really like this and also why people could find it a huge disappointment. As for the latter... well, this was one of the most highly anticipated works of dystopian fiction to be released this year and the fact of the matter is that it just really doesn't work as a dystopia. Or, at least, what seems to be the general definition of a dystopia.

I can highlight the problem really well by referring to a conversation I had with my mum when she saw t
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
12/6/11-
I can't believe this book was Favorite Book of 2011. I must not be part of the in-crowd! Oh well.

Review below...

I have questions. Once my questions are answered, maybe I'll move my overall ratings up from 2.5 stars to 3.5 stars. Here is the thing, If the world doesn't make sense to me, I'm not going to enjoy the book as much as I could enjoy it.

So, here are my questions-

Why, at the beginning, can Beatrice look in the mirror ONLY when her mom cuts her hair? What does her mom cutting her h
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
When I was finished this book I could only think of three things: Uwe Boll, Asylum Films, and the Sy-fy Channel. Yes, to me, it was that bad. It has everything that they like: Cold leader who excels at everything, even when she doesn't try. Violence and gore at every turn. Oppressive society. Tattoos. Injuries that come and go as they please. Etc, etc, etc.

Hmmm, where to start?? To start? To start? Haha, ring a bell? It does. It does. It does. I am brave! I am Dauntless!

Ok, I'll get serious now
Michelle
Jan 12, 2014 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the entire planet
Shelves: 2010
I did not like this book.

I started reading it at about 3pm in the afternoon and finished at about 9:30. When I finished I sat there, stunned. In awe.

It is one of the best Young Adult novels I've ever read. One of the best novels I've ever read, if we're going to go there, too. It was, in a word, flawless.

How can you "like" flawless? How can you "love" it? DIVERGENT is powerful. It is moving. It is extraordinary. My only regret? That the whole world hasn't read it yet, because my need to talk
K.D. Absolutely
This book is just not for me. I should not have borrowed this. I should have ignored this book even if this is this month's read for our book club. I have no intention of attracting attention by disliking this popular book. I am just being honest to myself.

Please allow me to explain.

(1) Late last year, I read and liked Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games. I don't read lots of dystopian and I thought I read it even before I read William Golding's Lord of the Flies. So, the idea of kids or young adu
Abbi Glines
I'm not a big fan of dystopian but I LOVE THIS! Four is now my new book boyfriend. Well…. he is at least my back up in case I break up with Travis one day.
Dd

WHOA!!Everyone....

STOP!

And make way for this young kickass heroine...

Beatrice Prior.

'Those who want power and get it live in terror of losing it.That's why we have to give power to those who do not want it.'

Okay,so by now nearly everyone has read this book.This is a book which needs no introduction.So,I'll try to keep storyline short.
(As short as I can for a book of nearly 500 pages!)

This books depicts a dystopian Chicago world where the society is divided into five groups or factions as they
Alejandro
A book with its ups and downs.

ROLLERCOASTER OR FERRIS WHEEL?

Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.

This novel was a rollercoaster for me. Maybe it should be a ferris wheel (pun intended) but no, it was a rollercoaster since at some moments I was quite high, real excited about the story, but at some moments I was way down, getting into my nerves.

It wasn't easy to rate the book, since I liked the general story in the novel, but I really liked several unexpected twists in key moments of
Kristi
WOW. WOW.... no really, just wow. Could not put it down... and I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!

One of my favorites books this year, no question about it!

I've been trying to write this review for the last two hours... and nothing is coming to mind but "AWESOME" and "WOW" and "WOW".... did I say wow? I apologize that this review is going to be incoherent, and mostly fangirly, but that's the state of mind this book has left me in! I'm in shock of its spectacular-ness. Is that even a word?

I'll admit
Inspired Kathy
Apr 10, 2012 Inspired Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: read-in-2012
I just finished my reread of Divergent so I can start Insurgent. Loved it just as much the second time!!

Did you love Divergent? Enter to win an ARC of Insurgent!
Last day to enter is 4/22/12 - Enter everyday between now and then to increase your chance of winning!

Join in HarperTeen's Divergent Nation Challenge.

Visit the Faction News Site: http://bit.ly/abnegationfaction
Or visit the publisher's website: http://bit.ly/choose_abnegation

Ceilidh
Veronica Roth started writing “Divergent” in college, and was quickly signed up by agent Joanna Stampfel-Volpe . The book rose to success at an unusually enthusiastic pace, with a 200,000 copy first run by HarperCollins , and a huge online promotional campaign. The campaign is what interested me the most upon the book’s release. Part of the promotional campaign included a Facebook campaign where you could “discover your faction”, and to me this is a huge reason as to why the book was so successf ...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
(Cross-posted from The Book Lantern)

In the YA book world, 2011 is definitely shaping up to be the year of the dystopia. With the popularity and acclaim of Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games trilogy, the young adult publishing world seemed to explode with all kinds of ideas for dystopias about oppression and chaos -- and publishers were all the more willing to oblige them due to the proven success of The Hunger Games.

One of the more hyped offerings, Divergent by Veronica Roth, has been gaining mo
Question for Ms. Roth 3 42 38 minutes ago
WORD GAME! starting with FOUR! 45015 8969 2 hours, 6 min ago
Best YA Main Character Elimination Game!! 10571 3327 4 hours, 57 min ago
Tris Prior: unrelatable protagonist? 6 80 10 hours, 28 min ago
Series Elimination Game 61 88 Sep 03, 2015 11:59AM
Which Faction Are You? 30 85 Sep 03, 2015 07:21AM
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Apollyon (Covenant, #4)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Fuse (Pure #2)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • Starters (Starters, #1)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  • Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein Trilogie, #3)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2)
Veronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy, ALLEGIANT, will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of ...more
More about Veronica Roth...

Divergent (3 books)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) Allegiant (Divergent, #3) Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5) Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)

292 trivia questions
123 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.” 14192 likes
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” 9979 likes