Start by marking “Watermelons: How Environmentalists Are Killing the Planet, Destroying the Economy and Stealing Your Children's Future” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
As the world stands on the brink of a new Great Depression, James Delingpole's message could not be more timely or urgent. In order to save our planet must we relly surrender to the green movement's misanthropic tyranny? Or might there be a better way?
Published February 1st 2012 by Biteback Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Watermelons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watermelons

George
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, ipad
A FIVE-STAR FART IN A WINDSTORM.

“Evil men don’t get up in the morning saying ‘I’m going to do evil.’ They say: ‘I’m going to make the world a better place’.” [Christopher Booker]—loc 2940

In a time of AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming) and PNS (post-normal science), I’m still stuck, back there in antiquity, wrestling with the idea of ‘post-nasal drip’. When I’ve resolved that, perhaps I can move on to grappling with ‘Science for a Post Normal Age’. But, then, perhaps I really won’t want to. I kin
David Szondy
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished Watermelons, James Delingpole's excellent book on the "green" movement and how it has free-fallen from people concerned about clean air to an anti-Western, anti-industrial, anti-Capitalist, anti-human Socialist movement that has grabbed on to the fallacy of catastrophic anthropogenic global warming and turned it into a all-purpose bludgeon to force people to abandon civilisation and liberty in return for... nothing, really.

Gary
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A non-scientist who knows a lot more about climate change than Warmists seem to. I say 'seem to' because they know and sometimes admit it's not about the science. Delingpole is, however, extremely funny and wide awake to the ploys of the Watermelons (Green-on-the-outside-but-RED-on-the-inside types).

He shows in modern, clear, hilarious prose the real issues around climate change (note they shifted away from using 'global warming' as much after it stopped warming and started using 'climate change
Steve
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the psychology of environmentalism and how it is destroying out civilisation. Must read. Watermelons = Green on the outside , Red on the inside.
Brittany
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
While I did not like the writing style of Mr. James Delingpole, I did rather enjoy being presented with new perspectives of old 'facts'. As a high school student learning about climate change now, and of course, learning about how it IS happening, this book was a bit of a refresher as it looked at how scientists the world over, have been distorting evidence to predict climate change, and subsequently cause, as the author puts it, mass hysteria.
There are still multiple questions left unanswered,
John Ethier
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a must read for anyone with questions (and even if you don't) about what is behind the government push to fix climate change. It opened me to how most of what is being pushed is driven by politicians and your professional activists without any valid science behind their claims. This is not to say that certain science professionals have not made claims regarding the cause, it is just that their claims are often not validated. Great read - very disturbing subject and one th ...more
Joanne Parkington
This is a superb & fascinating book, well researched & presented ... a must read not only for 'Climate Change' sceptics but for anybody that's interested in the stories & science behind the headlines that we are force fed on a daily basis .. the sheer audacity of the 'Greens' is simply breathtaking ... the questions are 'Why is this lie still believed on such a global scale' & ' What can be done about it' ... if publications such as this and the endless evidence provided to the c ...more
Benjamin Gladwin
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really think that the difficult part of the environmental debate at the moment is admitting that there is a real problem with both the data, and the politics. Once I did that. Read the data, listened to the argument from both sides, I realised that this is another area of extreme uncertainty.

If you don't read both sides of the story, and you stay in the four channel world of australian media, then you wind up saying just what you are told to.
Frank
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
U
Rupert Matthews
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRILLIANT - read it and read it now!
Jim
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-reading
To make decisions you need to read both sides of an argument. A thoroughly good read
Jerry
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, politics
An explanation of the origins of the Anthropogenic Global Warming (AWG) controversy by a journalist who investigated Climategate. The author counts himself among the rank of climate skeptics. He contends that the Green movement is led by “Watermelons – green on the outside, red on the inside.” Their enemy is capitalism. He says “the reason I came to distrust AGW theory is because I recognized it as part of a familiar socio-political pattern: the advance of government through stealth... The peopl ...more
Friedrich Mencken
I confess to being a warmist skeptic and critical of the enviro-communist movement. But I found this book lacking in its supposed refutation of the science behind Anthropogenic Global Warming (AWG). And comically inconsistent in its accusations of pseudo-arguments in support of AGW.

Accuses his opponents of guilt by association arguments and in the next sentence engages in reductio ad Hitlerum. Well Hitler wanted to reduce the use of chemicals in farming…

Accuses his opponents of alarmism and bein
Mike
I'm updating this quite some time after having read the book (Sept 2016), and to my surprise can't find any reference to having read it amongst my notes - except that I highlighted a great deal of it when I read it on Kindle.
Delingpole's style is witty and acerbic; no prisoners taken at any point here. He strikes the high and low, and wastes no time in undercutting their supposed authority.
If you've ever had any doubts about the Green Movement and/or climate change, this is a good place to sta
Sean Bennetts
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: climate
Very Enlightening.

The new religion of the Communists is Green, watermelons is a good term with them and their worship of Gaia will destroy us.

It is a good Book for anybody that thinks the Green Environmental movement is just a bunch of tree hugging hippies, for this book shows their true colours and plan for the world.
Vladimir Ghinculov
Greens are socialist autocratic genocidal maniacs, I knew that already. I wanted to read a book that was well structured, rich in detailed proof of the allegations put in it and not so much about the author. Unfortunatelly I didn't get all that. It shows that Delingpole is a blogger - the old written, paper-based medium that is a book just doesn't fit his style.
John Comino
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book nails an uncomfortable truth about the environmental movement: that it is about politics and not science. This is a left wing movement which aims to redistribute income rather than ration scarce resources, something that capitalism does remarkably well.
Superfluous Man
Well worth the read if already convinced. My full review is available here.
Elentarri
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting! and scarey.
Jim
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right on Target

This is a straightforward presentation of this topic. After years of my own research I find this book presents the facts of this matter, simply and accurately.
Chris Doyle
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever suspected that the whole Climate Change argument was a load of rubbish? Read this and have your suspicions confirmed.
David Harrington
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true agenda behind big green.
Stephanie Spagnuolo
rated it did not like it
Jul 10, 2014
Mar 06, 2015
Nick Dale
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James Delingpole is a British journalist and novelist.
More about James Delingpole...