Start by marking “A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)

A Lady Of Expectations

(Regencies #6)

Jack Lester has to find a bride...

But where can he find the perfect woman? She has to be attractive, kind, a good conversationalist...and most important, she has to accept him as he is: devilishly handsome, charming and, as far as anyone knows, poor as a church mouse! If London society discovers his hidden wealth, he'll never find the right wife.

Jack's heart races when he
Published April 26th 2005 by Mira Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady Of Expectations, please sign up.
Julia Mackey Can it be true the following logical conclusion?
Can it be true the following logical conclusion?
Lady Lady Augusta Cynster Marchioness of Huntly - wife of Herbert Marquess of Huntly in 1783 they have a two year old son Edward and wait for the second child. "Huntly is a good-natured man who never pretended to be able to manage Augusta. He does, however, have extremely good sense and so knows when she needs to be managed. He then summons me."
In 1816 the Marquess of Huntly takes office in Westminster. "Lady Augusta!" Minerva hurried down the main stairs, all but tripping in her haste to rescue them all. "We were expecting you yesterday and wondered what had happened." "Hubert happened, or rather Westminster called, and he was delayed, so we set out rather later than I'd wished." Augusta turned to envelop her in a warm embrace."
In the period since 1817, Herbert inherits the title of Duke of Huntington. "He waited until they had, at last, parted from his ladyship and were once more rolling towards the gates before saying," Lady Osbaldestone seems quite determined to see you well wed. "Totally unconcerned by her ladyship's grand schemes, which had even stretched as far as the Duke of Huntington, Sophie smiled gaily. "Indeed. They are all of them busy hatching schemes."
Their eldest son, Edward gets the title of Marquess of Huntly and cares for Miss Sophia Winterton, but she marries Jack Lester. In 1835, Huntingdon, big, burly gentleman was not a fool, he was a fellow campaigner Earl of Cothelstone, who organized and supervised the police.
Lady Marjorie Almsworthy - the daughter of Herbert Marquess of Huntly and Lady Augusta Cynster Marchioness of Huntly of Huntly Hall, Northamptonshire, got married Herbert, Lord Darent of Darent Hall in Northamptonshire and become Marjorie, Lady Darent («Tangled Reins»).
Marjorie, Lady Darent - wife Herbert, Lord Darent, prim, prosy and hopelessly inelegant in every way, was worse than useless.
Stephanie Laurens Kathie Wilkinson - Augusta's children are not in the family trees anymore because they are not Cynsters. Although Augusta appears in several other books - she's the Marchioness of Huntingdon - her children, Edward and Marjorie, do not.
The younger son - Lord Percy Almsworthy close friend Jack Lester and Harry Lester. "Jack gestured to Percy, hanging back on his other side." If you'll permit me to introduce Lord Percy Almsworthy? "" Pleased to make your acquaintance, Miss Winterton. "Prepared to be wary, Sophie saw at a glance that Lord Percy was sprung from a mould quite different from his companion. Reassured, she smiled and held out a hand. As he leant from the saddle to shake it, she thought she detected a look of keen appraisal in Lord Percy's mild gaze. "M ' father's Carlisle, "he said, giving her a peg on which to hang his hat. It follows that he is married to the daughter of Earl of Carlisle. Carmarthen Earl of Carlisle granduncle Reggie Carmarthen, so the title of Earl of Carlisle inherit Herbert Carmathen, Viscount Northcote, father of Reggie. This explains the close friendship with the family Carmarthen of the family Cynster.(less)

Start your review of A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)
Rachel (BAVR)
skein
Apr 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
godawful.
shorter book:
"My fairest damsel, although we have met only five minutes ago, you possess blonde hair and blue eyes and know how to maintain a house: therefore we are in love! Let us marry!"
"Oh my rougish darling, we cannot! For you are fake-poor and I am fake-poor and at least ONE of us needs to be super-rich for this relationship to work out! And you -- you are landed gentry! You need to repair the roof on your castle and feed your bloodhounds and whatnot!"
"Fear not, gentle maiden; I
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2011
This book is the vanilla ice cream of regencies; it's perfectly plain. But compared to the outlandish freakshows that pass as regency fiction these days, it was actually pretty nice to read.
Lissy Liz
Maybe 2.5 stars
Should I date and read the others ?
Jody
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, library, gifted
Rebecca
This was a nice enough book but the whole 'I cant marry him because he needs a wife with money' just went on FOREVER driving me mad. I understand if someone had told Sophie earlier the main drama in the story would have been lost, but it was very frustrating.

And really, would my grandmother (who gave me the book) approve of the shenanigans going on after she finally accepts the proposal? :D
Elke
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
Even in her early days of writing Stephanie Laurens dragged me into her wonderful world of romance and rouges, Of Debutantes and Dowagers. I cry and I laugh. I want to slap the chits with more hair than wit. Then tumble in bed with the hot and steamy men that catch my heart and warm my dreams.
I highly recommend any and all books by Stephanie Laurens.
Mandy
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was ok. The plot seemed forced. Towards the end I got really tired of reading the words golden head!
Lori Yvette Fernandez Lopez
This is a sweet, funny read! I love Stephanie Lauren's writing style. It is lofty and closer to a regency style composition than most other romances out there.
Julie
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story line, absolutely loved it. As Linda Howard puts it on the cover of the book "All I need is her name on the cover for me to buy the book". so true in this case also.
Frances Law
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful.

Stephanie Laurens is a master of the Regency Romance genre. In this book Jack Lester has just recouped his family fortune, or I should say that his sister did. Until now Jack has been known to be a rake with the property and he lineage but with no money to speak of. He has also been somewhat lazy with regard to the ancestral acres and fortune and left it all in the capable hands of his sister. Now she is gone, married to a Duke, but not before acting on some advice from a friend of her
Plum-crazy
So-so romance, nothing exceptional but amusing enough to pass a couple of hours. It reminded me of Amanda Quick but not quite as engrossing in my humble opinion. Having said that, I would read further books by this author as next time I'd know not to expect anything too deep & the style's perfect for those times when you just want a bit of light romantic escapism.

Carole Roach
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always Ms. Laurens never dispoints. I am looking forward to read more about the Lester's.

I fell in love with Stephanie Laurens when I read Devil's Bride and all the rest of The Cynster and I am still reading Ms Laurens.

WiceWine
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was good at the beginning but then it got really boring and dragging. I felt like it could've been better if it wasn't so wishy washy. In the end I just ended up being more interested in the love story of Sophie's cousin and ned instead ...more
Amber
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Laurens

Somewhat predictable, but aren't all romance novels? Definitely worth reading it you like Regency romances. Warning for multiple premarital sex (or near sex) scenes.
Reforming
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Another one where one wishes they would just talk to each other. Went on forever.
Julie Martinez
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring, forced myself to finish
joyce ryder
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book,it was easy to read with a interesting plot.
Jessica
Jun 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF. I stopped reading after the end of Chapter 1. The story felt really convoluted. There were so many characters, and I couldn't understand how all of the characters knew each other.

Kathy
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Sheila Melo
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tamer, Gentler Laurens

THE STORY: Jack Lester is in search of a bride. Recently having earned his fortune, Jack wants a bride who doesn't want him for his wealth so he hides his newfound fortune. His plan backfires when he finds the woman he wants but she thinks his lack of fortune means that that cannot hope for a future together. Sophie Winterton realizes that Jack is the perfect man for her. When she discovers, however, that he doesn't have a fortune, she realizes that despite their
Deborah Vespo
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Unbelievably I found a book by Stephanie Laurens that is part of a series that I haven't read! This happens to be the second in the Lester Family Saga series. Jack Lester is a very wealthy man, unbeknownst to the rest of society and something he prefers to stay that way due to the money hungry mother's who are looking to make successful catches for their daughters. Jack however knows that if he going to ever gain the requisite heir and the spare he is going to have to find himself a wife. This ...more
Kirsten
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This was one of the more interesting Laurens novels, probably due to the plot. The developing relationship between Sophie Winterton and Jack Lester is at the core of the book. Lester knows what he wants - Sophie and Sophie is under the misapprehension that Jack needs to marry well to secure his position in society and so they begin their courtship dance. A dance that continues right through until the end of the novel. There is some intrigue but not as much as she usually puts into her books. ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - I preferred Jack Lester as a hero to Jason Montgomery. He was more willing to accept love and to fight for it, which is a more human reaction. The characters were more deep and interesting to read about than in the previous book. If it's possible I think I preferred A Lady of Expectations to the last one in the Lester series, The Reasons for Marriage. I felt that the description was also more complete. I think the constraints of the time were conducive to a more traditional courtship, ...more
Lita Bouquard
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jack was a great character in the previous book in the series. He and his brother Harry were a bit wild, raucous and fun. In this book he decides to marry and becomes dull. Previously the Lester family was known to lack funds. Due to speculation, they now had a lot of money but the matrons of society don't know that yet. To avoid match making mama's Jack decides to marry for love before their wealth becomes common knowledge. He sees the perfect girl, Sophie and proceeds to woo her. The plot is ...more
Maura
Roshni Agarwal
Dec 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have read most of Stephanie Laurens Cynster. I really liked it. So when I came across this book I was excited. But once I started reading it, I found it a major disappointment and it was a task to finish it.

The main characters were not developed enough. Jack Lester was an over confident hero with no layers in his character and Sophie Winterton came as simply dumb and not a strong leading lady as I have seen in previous books. The sub characters were annoying.

Overall I will never recommend this
Amy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I agree with most of the other reviewers that the story lacks depth (e.g. it's one "I love him but..." point is repeated a lot). However, I enjoyed this because it was decidedly lacking in a lot of the contrivances I've come across with historical romance with the stereotypical stubborn woman who does something reckless. Instead, this is more a leisurely romp in the garden with a well behaved lady. A nice change! For that, I appreciate the subtly of the storyline.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Sometimes, sometimes a lady's expectation can be wrong. But there is still time when they are right. Ms. Sophie Winterton believes that Jake needs to have a wealthy wife to wed. She tries all there is to avert his attentions. Jack knows what he wants and when he walks into the ball he see her and is on a campaign to win the love of all love.
Mum
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, beach-read
The ending was so weak that it detracted from the strength of the story. Otherwise, I would have given it four stars. I enjoyed the characters, and the weaving of the subplots. It was nice to have a bigger vocabulary than most romances. That was a plus for me! It's worth reading if you don't want a big bang at the point of resolution on the story.

• Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • The Summer Duchess (A Duchess for All Seasons Book 3)
  • The Spring Duchess (A Duchess for All Seasons #2)
  • Once Upon A Christmas Rogue
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • Her Duke of Secrets (Brethren of the Lords #2)
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • One Night for Love (Bedwyn Prequels, #1)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • Then Comes Seduction (Huxtable Quintet, #2)
  • Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords, #1)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Nicholas: Lord of Secrets (Lonely Lords, #2)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Bewitching the Forbidden Duke
  • Unforgiven (Horsemen Trilogy, #2)
  • For the Love of a Duchess
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Regencies (8 books)
  • Tangled Reins (Regencies, #1)
  • Four In Hand (Regencies, #2)
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • Fair Juno (Regencies, #4)
  • The Reasons For Marriage (Regencies, #5; Lester Family, #1)
  • An Unwilling Conquest  (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)
  • A Comfortable Wife (Lester Family, #4)