Start by marking “The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

The long-awaited cookbook by Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen—home cook, mom, photographer, and celebrated food blogger.

Deb Perelman loves to cook. It’s as simple as that. She isn’t a chef or a restaurant owner—she’s never even waitressed. Cooking in her tiny Manhattan kitchen was, at least at first, for special occasions—and, too often, an unnecessarily daunting venture. D
Published October 30th 2012 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

Start your review of The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Riya
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this cookbook 5 stars not only because it was an excellent cookbook with easy directions and colorfully detailed pictures, but because it made me want to attempt to bake again! I will admit right now that although I do enjoy cooking, a baker I am not, and it is only once a year that I will attempt to bake even a dozen cookies. This book, however, changed all of that.

I first requested this book (I must mention that I received this wonderful cookbook through a goodreads giveaways conte
Caroline
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cookery
This is currently becoming one of my favorite cookbooks that I own. Everything I have tried (which is a lot) from this cookbook has been fantastic and solid and quite delicious. Her little "stories" before each recipe are entertaining and a joy to read. The pictures are perfect, and each recipe is written well, tested, and easy to follow. A great, great book.
Allison
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
I want to cook like 90% of the things in here. Since some of the recipes are also on her blog I can tell you that the salted brown butter rice crispy treats are to die for and the mushroom bourguignon is good, probably even delicious if you love mushrooms (I do not). For recipes that are totally new, I tried making the swiss chard and white bean pot pies (sans pancetta) last night and they were fabulous. And I am dying to make the apple cider caramels.
Virginia Campbell
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Award-winning food blogger Deb Perelman shares her fun & fabulous food and photos in "The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook". Using her natural cooking intuition, ceaseless curiosity, and expansive imagination, the author has created a wonderfully inviting culinary world in the space of her tiny kitchen. Sharing food preparation tips, and stories and photos for each recipe, Deb Perelman adds her own flair to user-friendly ingredients. While I found much to enjoy in each chapter of the book, the "Breakfas ...more
Eh?Eh!
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my favorites, things that made my eyes widen when I tasted them

buttered popcorn cookies*
cheddar swirl breakfast buns**
wild rice gratin with kale, carmelized onions, and baby swiss***
balsamic and beer-braised short ribs with parsnip puree****
harvest roast chicken with grapes, olives, and rosemary
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Tomato Scallion shortcakes w whipped goat cheese
Broccoli slaw
Red Wine Velvet Cake
Zucchini ribbons with almond pesto

*I switched the co
Kristin Shafel
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been following the smitten kitchen blog for years and have made several of Deb Perelman's recipes, a few of which have become staples in our house—mushroom bourguignon, roast chicken with dijon sauce, lemony zucchini goat cheese pizza—and I can't wait to dig in to even more here in her cookbook. It is about two-thirds savory, one-third sweets, and all of it looks absolutely delicious. Perelman has a warmth and familiarity in her communication, and a way of making you feel welcome in her w ...more
Melanie
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I don't think I had ever read a cookbook cover-to-cover before this one, but Deb Perelman's book is as addictive as her blog. I want to make EVERYTHING but so far have only made the 'sweet peas and shells alfredo,' which were easy and delicious. This is really everything a good cookbook should be: clear, realistic, AND aspirational. I also appreciate that Deb keeps her stories light and her humor self-deprecating - it's a cookbook not a memoir, after all. Another thing - the book is even prettie ...more
Heather
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this cookbook as a Goodreads giveaway and I was so excited! I follow Deb's blog, The Smitten Kitchen and to have all of her best recipes at my fingertips is just amazing. I cannot wait to make all of her scrumptious creations, especially the hazelnut crepe cake! Definitely not a book for people looking for quick, easy recipes, but if you want to get a little creative in the kitchen and have the time, this one is for you!
Natalie
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook and read it like a novel in one evening. I love the little blurbs at the beginning of each recipe and the photography is gorgeous.
Cynthia Paschen
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myfavorites, cooking
Completely drool-worthy. Good clear instructions. Wonderful large color photos. Off to make beer braised short ribs right this second. Don't try and stop me.
Meredith
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous book from one of my favorite bloggers (who also happens to be one of my favorite sources for awesome recipes)! I was thrilled when I heard that she would be putting out a cookbook, and this truly lived up to my expectations. There are photos and notes and chatty introductions accompanying each recipe. Yep, there are a few strange recipes...I don't really understand the popcorn cookies...but there are so many promising ones that I don't really care.
Erin
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recipes
So many great recipes in this book! And bizarrely, the ones that caught my eye were all savories, and mostly salads, at that. The chocolate brioche pretzels look amazing, though.

Wonderfully put together with a great blend of pictures and recipes and a little blurb of text for each recipe. If you like the blog, you'll love the book. If you haven't read the blog, I think you'll love the book anyway; it's one of the best I've seen in a while.
Jill
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had been anxiously awaiting this, and Deb Perelman did not disappoint. I read (devoured?) the recipes cover to cover, and could hardly keep myself from pulling out every pot and pan in the kitchen to try them all immediately. As expected, gorgeous photographs and clear, encouraging directions.
Jasmine
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recipes sometimes complicated, sometimes simple, all delicious.
Beth
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The "Smitten Kitchen" blog was mentioned in passing in an article I read somewhere online. I checked it out half out of curiosity, half out of an aquisitive desire for a larger stock of relatively simple recipes. I was impressed enough with what I saw to buy this, the author's first cookbook.

I subscribe to a popular meal kit delivery service, and one thing that is striking about Perelman's recipes is their base similarity to that service's. I think Smitten Kitchen's assume a higher level of base
Meggie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As many other devotees, I’ve enjoyed Deb’s cooking, writing, photos and recipes for many years. How exciting to hold her recipes in a book! It is full of great tips and ideas, many accessible and fun recipes and inspiration. We’ve already enjoyed the eggplant calzones and yummy oven fries. As with her blog, I love how her cooking is unfussy, uses fewer bowls and complicated steps and quality ingredients.
Goodreader
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I started going to smittenkitchen.com about two years ago because I needed a cake recipe. I found the chocolate peanut butter cake recipe (the softest, deepest chocolate cake combined with a sweet, cream cheese peanut butter frosting and topped with a semi-sweet (or dark chocolate) ganache) and I was hesitant to attempt this cake because it looked difficult. However, Perelman makes even the most difficult things wildly simple. She never leaves out important details nor does she neglect to tell y ...more
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Deb Perelman is the creator of The Smitten Kitchen, a fabulous blog on food and her cooking shenanigans in New York City. This blog (and now book are fabulous if you like pictures of different steps during food prep. Like The Pioneer Woman, Perelman is also a photographer. The pictures in this book are fantastic and the recipes are delicious. I made the Cheddar Swirl Buns (like a savory cinnamon roll), the Apricot Breakfast Crisp (I made mine with peaches and it turned out fine), and I plan on m ...more
Alison
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, own_it
What a lovely cookbook, full of delicious recipes that for the most part, aren't too daunting. There are headnotes and color photos for every recipe, and the book is divided into several sections - including two for mains, meat and veggie - and she has some great info at the start of the book and in the appendix. At a glance you might think that these recipes would call for high-end ingredients, but that's not necessarily the case, and this comes across. The author has the same "real life" type ...more
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My interest in Deb Perelman was initially piqued when she came in to do a book talk/signing at the bookstore where I work. Whilst shelving, I was able to overhear much of her journey to self-taught cook and was intrigued. Upon later perusing her cookbooks my interest continued to spike. The gorgeous photographs and accompanying recipes are highly appealing. This is food that begs to be eaten. The hefty tome includes food for all times of day and all occasions, from everyday eats to celebratory m ...more
Exapno Mapcase
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Goodreads First Reads review.

This is a great collection of recipes brought together with a warm sense of humor. The recipes are well laid out and the ingredients list shows the measurements in both imperial and metric, something that is not often done. Her goal is just to have fun cooking, so there is no running around looking for rare ingredients. It just makes you want to get together with friends and family.
Christina Holt
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this cookbook! Deb's recipes aren't so advanced to be intimidating to a new cook, like me, but are complex enough so that I'm learning something new with each one. There's a really great array of main dishes (vegetarian and not), appetizers, sweets, breakfasts, sandwiches, pizza, and just so much more! The book itself is beautiful with a clean layout and lots of pictures. Every recipe I've tried has surprised me by how wonderful it tastes. Five stars, indeed!
Scottsdale Public Library
From a food blogger on Face Book (which I follow). When she announced that she was releasing a SECOND cookbook recently I had to look for the first one. Her Salted Peanut Butter Cookies are amazing! Seriously: the best I've ever made or eaten, and I've eaten more than a few. I have yet to have a recipe from Smitten Kitchen that didn't perform to expectations. User friendly ingredients, creative, approachable, and delicious.
~Alexis S.
Deidre
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook. A good variety of classics, variations on classics, and interesting new ideas. Ranges in level of difficulty - this is not geared for people who never cook, but they could figure it out if they needed to - and for those of us who cook often, it's not oversimplified so much that we're bored. I can't wait to try out so many of these recipes!
Zomick's  Bakery
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a baker at Zomick's bakery and must give this cookbook 5 star. That is not because I found recipes I could prepare, but gave me an interesting idea for some old traditional challah recipes I could restructure. If you are into cooking get this one and you'll have plenty of interesting recipes to try. - Zomick's bakery ...more
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book from one of the world's most popular food bloggers. Stunning photography and 100 innovative yet comforting dishes. See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies.... ...more
Sara
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
There is nothing in here that I don't want to eat. Deb Perelman has even talked me into the recipes I was initially unsure of. She is such an engaging writer! I can't wait to get cracking on some of these delicious dishes post-Thanksgiving.
Kat
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have never been so entertained by a cookbook! Not only do I want to cook 90% of Deb's recipes (popcorn cookies? I am so there), but her wit, charm, and humor come through every recipe description. I plan to be a dedicated blog follower after working my way through her recipes!
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbook
Why yes, I did basically read this cover to cover. Can't wait to make so many of these recipes!
Lisa
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks

Love this cookbook. I want to make the emmentaler on rye with sweet and sour red onions right now! It looks like French onion soup in sandwich form!

• The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Joy of Cooking
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Deb Perelman is a self-taught home cook and photographer; and the creator of SmittenKitchen.com, an award-winning blog with a focus on stepped-up home cooking through unfussy ingredients. In previous iterations of her so-called career, she’s been a record store shift supervisor, a scrawler of “happy birthday” on bakery cakes, an art therapist, and a technology reporter. She likes her current gig—t ...more