Start by marking “Summer Lies: Stories” as Want to Read:
Summer Lies: Stories

Summer Lies: Stories

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  921 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
From Bernhard Schlink, the internationally best-selling author of The Reader, come seven provocative and masterfully calibrated stories. A keen dissection of the ways in which we play with truth and less-than-truth in our lives. Summer Lies brims with the delusions, the passions, the outbursts, and the sometimes irrational justifications people make within a mélange of bea ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Pantheon (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Lies

Kristy
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Can you point me in the direction where I can find more books like this/" I ask the Booksoup salesman. "And how does a litle girl like you come to favor Schlink?"
He had a point. The author, a mid 60-year old Jewish professor of Law or something like that managed to think about love and marriage and torment and jealousy to fit inside the head of a thirty something woman from Los Angeles. It's brilliant and touching. The way he can manage that I mean. The stories leave you itching for more, hopin
Dacko
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vešto napisane priče, od onih u kojima zaista možemo mariti za junake, i sve što je opisano baš je dobro opisano, s lakoćom se može zamisliti, ali meni nekako ne odgovara Šlinkov senzibilitet, otud tri zvezdice: priče su školski dobre i sa zadovoljstvom sam ih pročitala, ali me ne pomeraju i kao da sam ih zaboravila već kad sam sklopila korice.
Jacqueline Wagenstein
Шеметният успех на романа „Четецът” наложи Бернхард Шлинк като „говорител” на германската съвест и чувство за вина. Историята, адаптирана за голям екран от Стивън Долдри (с Кейт Уинслет в ключовата роля), предлага различен от обичайния ракурс към трагедията с унищожените от нацизма евреи. Става дума за неосъзнатата вина на извършителите на престъпленията и за мълчанието, което сякаш парализира процеса на осъзнаване; за моралното невежество и липсата на воля за решително противодействие на злото; ...more
Debbie Robson
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my third Bernhard Schlink and it was a surprise to find the writing so dissimilar, in these short stories, to the two novels I have read - The Weekend and The Reader. In Summer Lies I found the voices all had the same measured tones. They were very similar people too. People that liked to control most things in their rather quiet, orderly lives. Despite this, they are all caught up in disparate situations, creating the need to lie.
I noticed in some of the reviews that different readers
Victor Carson
Although I do not usually read collections of short stories, I have read two of the author's novels, Homecoming and The Reader, and I did not want to miss any new fiction from Bernhard Schlink. Each of the selections in Summer Lies is really a novella, rather than a "short" story. A couple of the early selections seem somewhat incomplete or unresolved, as if they were meant to be only portraits of a particular character and his shallow relationship with his wife or lover. The later selections ar ...more
Chris
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning I hated this book. The stories seemed far fetched, the characters self centred and no plot resolution. I almost gave up when the stories started to pull me in. You need to slow down and just absorb without analysis to appreciate this one. Midway through I'd finish a story and look around for someone to discuss it with. Why did the wife walk out? Why is the guy afraid to leave? I hope you enjoy this one too.
Tonia
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I love a good collection of short stories. Bernhard Schlink is a fabulous writer. Some of these stories were fantastic, and others failed to live up to their promise.
Robert
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bernhard Schlink's collection of stories, Summer Lies, is always gracefully written but not always compelling because too many key characters, plots, and themes are borderline trivial or simply trivialized.

In the first story, "After the Season," an accomplished musician with adequate but not a great deal of money falls in love with an heiress with tons of money…and that's a problem for him. He doesn't like rich people, or thinks he doesn't, but there's really nothing wrong with the woman except
Megan
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book, and will be reading more of this German author in the future. His stories present a masculine perspective on a variety of relationships; married, single, and dating. Looking back, these stories, while serious, were also quite touching and humor surfaces here and there. Each story had a male narrator except for one, and this elderly woman character is herself quite manly. I found her most fascinating as she reflects on her choices in life and how she chooses to go on ...more
Melda Dinçel
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As it would match with the title, I read the book on my summer holiday. Within two days I was travelling from New York to Norway, Frankfurt to Amsterdam. Each story was perfect with its plot, characters, setting and action. I will definitely search for more Schlink books in near future.
Natxo Cruz
Un bon llibre, al qual val la pena dedicar-hi temps. Sota l'aparença d'un recull d'històries quotidianes hi ha un petit assaig sobre la psicologia de les persones que les impulsa a enganyar-ne altres o a si mateixes i les justificacions que en sorgeixen. Recomanable.
Johann Guenther
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SCHLINK, Bernhard: „Sommerlügen“, Zürich 2010
Ob die Umgebung in der man liest den Inhalt beeinflusst. Am Hotel Swimming Pool in Abu Dabi liegend kommt mir die erste Geschichte, in der sich ein armer Flötist eines Orchesters in eine reiche Frau verliebt wunderschön vor und ich habe das Gefühl, dass das die beste Story ist, die ich in den letzten Jahren gelesen habe. Die Freundin fragt ihn etwa so grundsätzliche Dinge – die wir uns auch öfter stellen sollten – „Wenn du nicht für deinen Vater Flöti
Richda Mcnutt
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm glad that I haven't read "The Reader," (although I have seen the film version) - I can accept this book on its own merits. I found the seven short stories to be quite thought-provoking and very well-written. Schlink connects lies voiced, lies unsaid, lies that actually become memories of past events in our lives - our self-deception takes many forms and can be very imaginative. His characters are well-drawn, sometimes distant, sometimes unpleasant. I particularly liked the first and last sto ...more
Zazou
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelezen-in-2014
Op de achterkant van het boek staat:" In Schlinks zeven vertellingen van bijna melancholieke schoonheid - stuk voor stuk romans in een notendop- zijn de bedachte, de spontane en de verstandige leugens waarmee we leven altijd aanwezig. Van comfortabel zelfbedrog, tot een leven dat een serie van meesterlijke leugens blijkt te zijn. En wij stellen verbaasd vast dat we de leugenaars heel goed begrijpen."

En zo verging het mij ook.
Bettie☯
BABT: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/...

Bill Nighy reads from the new collection of short fiction by the author of The Reader, Bernhard Schlink.

Abridged and produced by Jane Marshall A Jane Marshall production for BBC Radio 4.

3* The Reader
3* Summer Lies

Ryan
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually translated, "Summer Lies" is the title.
Not sure why the english version hasn't shown up on Goodreads...

Get past the first story, which has some of the more cliché New York scenes ever. Definitely screams European fetishizing the 'color' of the city...
pretty painful.

That said, it illustrates relationship doubts really well, and the other stories are much better.
Lu
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Las mentiras de otros que al final son las nuestras. No importa cuántas veces hayamos mentido, lo valioso de estas historias es que nos enseñan que todos lo hacemos por las mismas razones: no defraudar al otro, al que queremos.
Al
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories by the author of The Reader. Mr. Schlinck's major characters are mostly male, and mostly uncomfortable in their relationships. Introspective, a little fussy and perhaps unduly sensitive, they strike one as human, but not necessarily admirable or even all that interesting.
Peter Jakobs
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me this is Schlink's best book, I like his short stories more than his novels. At the end of each short storie I was a bit sad that they ended here and were not further developed to a fullnovel. This is exactly as it should be - well done, Bernhard!
Vivienne Strauss
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful collection of short stories. Some were truly ominous in a subtle way that crept up on me. Others, incredibly moving.
Elke
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quiet, wise book about love, pain, honesty and truth. Ein Leckerbissen!
Cvi *
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Летни лъжи" е от ония книги, дето случайно решаваме да прочетем, обхванати от жегата, намиращи се някъде между поредното пътуване и работа, между мъчителните горещи следобеди и леко прохладните панелни нощи.

Разказите са няколко на брой, кой от кой по-човешки, изобличаващи една различна представа за нормалното. Летните лъжи са онези, които не се случват през лятото, а някъде по пътя си са се намерили в този сезон. Именно затова всеки герой от историите по себе си носи едно бреме - на отминалата
Cathy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With an opening line like "The day she stopped loving her children was no different from other days", I was immediately drawn right in! I don't usually read short stories but since I loved The Reader, I thought I would try this book and am so glad I did. These short stories were so beautifully written and moving that they felt like novels. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of his work.
Karen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable....the writing greatly resembles that of "The Reader" by the same author.
Pen Million
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this auther is best at short novels.
Pasteurisiert
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Vorgelesen von Hans Korte.

Pasteurisiert mit 5 von 5 Sternen. Geschichten über Midlife- und Endlife-Crisis.

Die ersten Minuten des Zuhörens sind etwas ungewöhnlich. Der Sprecher nuschelt den Text mit seiner Altherrenstimme. Tatsächlich habe ich mich jedoch nicht nur an Hans Kortes Stimme gewöhnt, sondern empfinde durch sie die Protagonisten in Bernhard Schlinks Buch als authentisch. Somit ist Hans Kortes Stimme unmittelbar mit den Geschichten verbunden. Es dürfte gar nicht anders sein. Sonst suche
Marten
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a haunting book. The stories are very well written, but all of them left me with a sense of sadness and foreboding. Some of the stories had me begging the main character (usually a male) to stop being such a jerk or idiot, urging him on to do the right thing, and in one story, begging the male protagonist to stop being so pathetically weak minded. There are no happy Disney-esque endings to these stories.

Much like his other books I have read, Schlink's descriptive style brings the reade
Vanessa

I picked this book up in Florence on the tail end of my trip and hadn't realized that this was a collection of novellas when I purchased it, but it was a nice choice for a vacation read. I really enjoyed the complexity of the characters and found myself making connections about the work as a whole and wondering about the editing decisions. Some stories were much more engaging than others and I was particularly fond of The Last Summer and The Night in Baden-Baden both for their reflections on the
Esther
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kurzgeschichten sind nicht meine Welt – und trotzdem überzeugt mich der ein oder andere Autor immer mal wieder, es mit ihnen zu versuchen. Dieses Mal habe ich es nicht bereut.

„Sieben irritierend-bewegende Geschichten“ – fast banal, sehr leise, manchmal alltäglich. Manch ein Leser wird sich oder Teile seiner Erinnerung in vielen (wenn nicht allen) der Geschichten irgendwie wiederfinden.

Es geht irgendwie immer um die Liebe, und um die Gefühle die sie begleiten. Unsicherheit bei den Entscheidungen
Thomas Hettich
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Auf der Rückseite wird das Buch beschrieben als "Sieben irritierend-bewegende Geschichten", "spannend", "hintersinnig", "hat Mut, an die grossen Fragen zu rühren" und "grosses Kino". Ist das tatsächlich, was ich soeben gelesen habe?

Die Geschichten, wenn sie einen bewegen, dann durch die kleinen Momente, die man aus dem eigenen Leben wiedererkennt, worüber man schon Gedanken verloren hat, jedoch nicht zu Ende gedacht und nie präzise in Wörtern erfasst hat. Diese Momente beschreibt Bernhard Schlin
  • Viva Polonia
  • El mejor de los mundos
  • Gehen, ging, gegangen
  • Queen Victoria's Gene Haemophilia and the Royal Family
  • The Architects
  • The Two of Us: My Life with John Thaw
  • In Times of Fading Light
  • Schweigeminute
  • Amantes y enemigos: Cuentos de parejas
  • Dos mujeres en Praga
  • The Writing on the Wall (Varg Veum, #11)
  • Wachstumsschmerz
  • Schuld
  • All Russians Love Birch Trees
  • Signs and Wonders
  • The Penguin Book of Canadian Short Stories
  • The End of Science: Facing the Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age
  • Show of Hands
Bernhard Schlink is a German jurist and writer. He became a judge at the Constitutional Court of the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia in 1988 and has been a professor of public law and the philosophy of law at Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany since January 2006.

His career as a writer began with several detective novels with a main character named Selb--a play on the German word for "sel
More about Bernhard Schlink...

“Er suchte nicht das leichte Leben, sonderen das schöne. Er gierte nicht nach Geld, er spielte damit.” 2 likes
“What is it?'
'Nothing,' he said, and put his arm around her.
'You sighed.'
'I'd like to be further along than I am.'
She snuggled against his side. 'I know that feeling. But don't we make progress in fits and starts? Nothing happens for a long time, then suddenly we get a surprise, have an encounter, reach a decision point, and we're no longer the same as we were before.”
1 likes