Start by marking “Silver (Return to Treasure Island #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver (Return to Treasure Island #1)

Silver

(Return to Treasure Island #1)

A rip-roaring sequel to Treasure Island—Robert Louis Stevenson’s beloved classic—about two young friends and their high-seas adventure with dangerous pirates and long-lost treasure.

It's almost forty years after the events of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island: Jim Hawkins now runs an inn called the Hispaniola on the English coast with his son, Jim, and Long John
Published August 7th 2012 by Crown (first published March 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silver, please sign up.
Michaela June Yes, because a recap of Treasure Island is given by the main character. The recap is tied in well and isn't like reading a sparknotes summary.

Even…more

Even though you can read this without reading Treasure Island, it is probably better to read Treasure Island first. Silver has a lot of parallels with TI and Motion's writing style can be better appreciated if one can see that it is surprisingly similar to TI. (less)

Start your review of Silver (Return to Treasure Island #1)
Jonathan Terrington
Silver is a sequel to the famous Robert Louis Stevenson novel Treasure Island, which I read many years ago. Even more, I enjoyed the Muppets version of the film immensely, however that is a separate issue. As far as sequels of classic novels go, typically I am not a fan. Usually, they are glorified fan fiction works - a poorly written attempt to relive the glory of enjoying and loving a previous novel.

This novel, however, was far more than just a higher quality of fan fiction. It was a work all
Tom Vater
Sep 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Kara
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As seen on: Bookosaur

3.5 out of 5

Ahoy, mateys! For a split second, I thought about posting this entire review in seafarin' hearty talk (aka pirate speak), but I quickly came to my senses. You couldn't blame me, though, if I did, because for the past few days I've been on a rollicking adventure across (one) of the Seven Seas in search of booty...err...treasure. Translation: I've been reading Silver: Return to Treasure Islandby Andrew Motion.

A sequel of sorts, Silvertakes place some 40 years after
Luanne Ollivier
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Spicer was 'my' librarian when I was young. Her dark dresses, severe bun and black glasses gave her a stern air which definitely deterred anyone from running and talking loudly in the library. But, it was she who fed and fostered my love of reading. I always asked her what I should read next. To her credit, she never, ever brushed me off. One summer she decided I would read the classics - Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island and more. It was the sense of adventure, the ...more
Dudley Namoins
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking this book was great but whatever. I did think it great just like I like a lot of well-done sequels. Sure, Motion is RL Stevenson but he's no slouch either.
Simon
Aug 12, 2015 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: fiction
This should be a rip-roaring adventure, but it's gotten off to a slow and ponderous start and after almost a hundred pages, I think I'm going to maroon it on an island somewhere.
Emily
Yay I finally finished this! Not even David Tennant as narrator can save this bland story, but because of him I can't bear to give it just the one star it really deserves.
John Frankham
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This ‘sequel’ to Treasure Island is difficult to assess. Just about deserves 4*. Sequels are difficult to get right, and in this case I suspect many GR comments are from people who only think they have read the unabridged book. A pretty good effort.

Plus points:

Beautifully written, rhythmical prose that is an absolute pleasure to read.
Language is a good mix of past and present - never feels anachronistic or artificially dated.
A good basic plot - cabin boy Jim Hawkins’ son going back, after 40
David Evans
This was a very interesting sequel to "Treasure Island" - not unique in that - I have seen one which follows LJS's retirement on Madagascar. Having left some pirates and silver on the island it makes sense that somebody would return for the treasure but daft not to have prepared to fight for it by remembering to bring some decent weapons and a few Marines rather than the author of the original tale. Jim Hawkins' son and Old Barbecue's daughter make an unlikely pairing, especially as Natty is ...more
Carly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
**edited 11/28/13

Silver is a cute and very close-to-canon continuation of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. If you check it out on audio, it is narrated by none other than David Tennant, alias The Tenth Doctor from the TV programme Doctor Who.

According to the story, Jim Hawkins of Treasure Island fame got his treasure, bought an inn, and settled down to what turned out to be very short-lived wedded bliss. His son, also Jim, who I will refer to as Jim#2 (although as far as I recall he's
Martin Belcher
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
The original Treasure Island is one of my favourite books and one which I read a couple of times when I was a little boy and has stayed with me all my life (I think it's why I love Pirates of the Carribbean so much!). I was very excited when I heard that Andrew Motion was writing a sequel to Treasure Island! I had to go out and buy a copy as soon as it was released.
I haven't been disappointed with "Silver - The Return to Treasure Island" it's set quite a few years on from the original and begins
Eileen
3.5 stars because I did enjoy it the story overall, even if it wasn't quite Treasure Island. I rounded up mainly because it was narrated by David Tennant and also because I thought the author did a good job creating the feel of the original story, even if the characters weren't quite as rich. This story follows the children of Jim Hawkins (Jim Hawkins III?) and Long John Silver (Natty) who are charged by LJS to go back to Treasure Island and find the Silver that was left behind all those years ...more
Shona Mackintosh
I was a little disappointed with this book to be honest. It's not that it wasn't beautifully written, it's just that it was a lot less exciting than I remember Treasure Island being. I suspect if I'd read more of Andrew Motion's work, I might have a different opinion, but coming to the book as a fan of Treasure Island, the characters just felt a bit weak to me.
I kept waiting for the darker side to kick in, for betrayal and plotting, for the characters to grow up or change, but it was all in a
Sheri
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I should know better. Really, I should never expect any sequel (especially written hundreds of years later by a separate author) to be very good. I'm busy scratching my head this morning over how to God this book ended up on my to-reads.

Anyhow, there are lots and lots of problems with this book, but I shall only highlight a few of them. The most egregious was the 40 years span between ending of TI and beginning of Silver. I do not understand why this was necessary. From the start, I was
David Wasley
I had hoped this book would be thrilling tale of colourful and memorable pirates. It's not. The illustrations are also dull. With the turn of the pages I found myself increasingly gazing out my lounge window.
D.L. Morrese
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sequel to Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island? Really? When I saw this on the shelf at my local library, I thought it takes a pretty competent and gutsy writer to try that. Well, why not? I picked it up, took it home, and read it over the course of the last few evenings. This is what I thought about it.
I won’t try to compare this novel to Treasure Island. It’s been years since I’ve read Stevenson’s classic adventure tale of pirates and buried treasure. This is perhaps just as well since
William Stanger
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book, but was excited to read it all the same. The story begins in 1802, 40 years after the events depicted in Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, and concerns a return to the island to attempt to locate the treasure that had been left behind. The main characters are the young offspring of Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver, Jim Hawkins (jr) and Natty Silver. There are many references along the way to characters and events from the original story ...more
Joyce
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun light read, captures tone of Stevenson's Treasure Island. Having one of the main characters be female, even though disguised, doesn't seem like something Stevenson would do, but it does allow for the love interest and appeals to today's readership. It's certainly something I would have dearly liked to read back in Gr. 7--all those swashbuckling adventures never had female main characters, and the historical fiction I liked always had titles like "He [never She] Went With Marco Polo (or Vasco ...more
Ally
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
So. There are those who will accuse me of only reading this because the audiobook is read by David Tennant, and I could listen to that man read to me for YEARS. This is true. But more true is the fact that THERE ARE PIRATES! And man, do I love pirates.

This is a really good story, and the language is similar to the original Treasure Island, which is awesome. I'm giving it 3 stars for two reasons: One, it's a bit heavy on morality, which, while it suits the language of the book, is still kind of
Michaela June
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Motion has done a great job in writing this sequel because of all the parallels this story has to Treasure Island (both in events and organization). His descriptions are clearly well thought out because they are in the style of Robert Louis Stevenson. Motion was able to write in a way that did not betray him as a 21st century writer. At the same time, the story is still very readable even to those that do not normally read classics as old as Treasure Island.

My criticism of this story is that Jim
Aug 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gone, abandonned, youngish
Except it wasn't ok. This is pretty tedious. I never like being told what to make of a character's actions. For a hundred and fifty pages Jim Hawkins (junior) tells us things like 'she looked at the ground so I thought she must be sad' and 'I am older now but that was how I saw it'. Probably the original Treasure Island is written in the same way - but my memory is that the original allows the reader to see past the narrator's youthful narrative and see the other characters through that prism. ...more
Selah Pike
The 3rd star is for David Tennant's brilliant narration. The book itself is slow (how can a pirate adventure move SO slowly?), preachy (yes, modern people know slavery is horrible, but would the white characters in this book?), and badly researched as a sequel to Treasure Island. Motion states that Billy Bones was at the Admiral Benbow for a week before Black Dog found him, when it's clearly much longer (several months). He also describes Long John Silver as having a peg leg, but Silver actually ...more
Joseph
A very nicely done sequel to "Treasure Island", one of my all-time favorite books, written in the style of the original's author Robert Louis Stevenson. I particularly like how there were so many lines used in this book that were pretty much direct quotes from "Treasure Island" as well as many scenes and characters that brought me back to chapters in that book.
Melenia
Jul 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
DNF -- I tried, I really did. I've always said I can listen to David Tennant read anything, but I have sadly found this is not the case...
Bettie
Aug 10, 2012 marked it as wish-list
Recommended to Bettie by: Wanda
Wait for price to come down
Order the hardback - cover love
Tom Baldwin
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
A Disappointing, Unnecessary Sequel to a Classic
When I saw the cover and premise, I was very excited to read this novel. Having loved Treasure Island as a boy, the idea of going on a similar swashbuckling adventure and revisiting some of the beloved characters seemed full of promise. Given some of my recent experiences with reading sequels written by fans, perhaps I should not have set my expectations quite so high.
That is not to say there are not some positive elements to the story. As a former
Kater Cheek
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
There are two kinds of classic novels. One is the kind you're hit over the head with in high school, (or forced to read it a few years too early, if you went to an aggressively academic school), and as an adult, if you remember the book at all, you don't do so with fondness. (Looking at you, Dickens and Hemingway.) Then there are classic novels like Treasure Island, which have stuck around because they are just that good. If you haven't read Treasure Island, you should. Everything you think you ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who could resist the chance for treasure, and a return to treasure island? Having recently listened spellbound to Alfred Molina's wonderful reading of one of my favorite books of all time, RLS's "Treasure Island", how could I say no when Audible suggested, "Silver: Return to Treasure Island" by Andrew Motion, read by no less than David Tenant , known for his "Broadchurch", "Hamlet", and "Dr. Who". I enjoyed this new addition , written by a former British poet laureate. He captures Stevenson's ...more
Virginia Henderson
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I am a HUGE fan of Treasure Island. I've read the book several times and I've watched a number of movie adaptations. (The 1990 version with Christian Bale is the closest to the book)

I've always wanted there to be a sequel. I've even considered writing one myself but then I found this. I was so thrilled I even PURCHASED the book, which I rarely purchase a book that is completely new to me, and I reread Treasure Island before so I could jump right in with a fresh memory.

Wow. It's clear that the
Rebecca
First up, I have to admit I've never actually read the original Treasure Island - although I have seen the Muppets film version, so I have a decent idea of the story. This sequel picks up many years later and follows the next generation of the Hawkins and Silver families as they... you guessed it, head back to Treasure Island. They go there intending to find the treasure that was left behind first time round - but also have to deal with the consequences of decisions made on that previous voyage. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Doctor Who: Scratchman
  • Embers: One Ojibway's Meditations
  • The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1)
  • The Hungry Ghosts
  • The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter (Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #1)
  • Once upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart, #1)
  • Beyond Time (Highland Secret Series)
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers, #1)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Candles on Bay Street
  • Mad About Plaid (MacLarens of Balmorie, #1)
  • The Astaires: Fred & Adele
  • A Star for Mrs. Blake
  • The Bad Break (A Riley Ellison Mystery #2)
  • A Promise Forged (Ohio Brides #3)
  • Sandhill Dreams (Nebraska Brides #2)
  • The Mirror (Northwest Passage, #5)
  • An Amish Reward: An Amish Romance Inspired by a Beloved Bible Story
Sir Andrew Motion, FRSL (born 26 October 1952) is an English poet, novelist and biographer, who presided as Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom from 1999 to 2009.

Motion was appointed Poet Laureate on 1 May 1999, following the death of Ted Hughes, the previous incumbent. The Nobel Prize-winning Northern Irish poet and translator Seamus Heaney had ruled himself out for the post. Breaking with the

Return to Treasure Island (2 books)
  • The New World
“Un sentimento di grande solitudine mi sopraffece; un sentimento che non teneva conto del capitano al timone né del signor Stevenson alla coffa, dove si era arrampicato per la prima veglia della notte, né della dozzina di altri corpi tiepidi sottocoperta. inclusa Natty. Mi dissi che dipendeva dal fatto che per la prima volta nella mia vita avevo una nozione veritiera della vastità del mondo e anche della sua indifferenza. La nostra prua tagliava le onde con una grazia meravigliosa, ma non sapeva nulla della sua meraviglia. La luna, che ora stava salendo tra le nuvole, scandiva il tempo al nostro viaggio, ma non sapeva nulla del tempo. Le onde facevano un delicatissimo miscuglio di panna e di marrone, di blu e di nero, ma non sapevano nulla della delicatezza.
Tutto questo sarebbe potuto essere allarmante, eppure mi colmò di un profondo senso di quiete. Tenni le braccia lungo i fianchi e lasciai che il vento mi colpisse in faccia e sul petto, purificandomi di tutto quello che mi aveva pesato su di me nella mia vita precedente.”
0 likes
“La tentazione della barbarie passa immutata da generazione a generazione, e riaffiorerà sempre ogni volta che ce ne sarà l'occasione adatta.” 0 likes