Start by marking “The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods” as Want to Read:
The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods

The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,253 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Sprouted Kitchen food blogger Sara Forte showcases 100 tempting recipes that take advantage of fresh produce, whole grains, lean proteins, and natural sweeteners—with vivid flavors and seasonal simplicity at the forefront.

Sara Forte is a food-loving, wellness-craving veggie enthusiast who relishes sharing a wholesome meal with friends and family. The Sprouted Kitchen feat
Published August 28th 2012 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sprouted Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sprouted Kitchen

Huma Rashid
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of cookbooks of any kind: whether they offer traditional recipes for comforting, familiar fare, or branch out with inventive ideas that I've never even thought of, much less attempted before.

Sara Forte hits a unique balance between these two opposing perspectives in "The Sprouted Kitchen," a book born from her blog about whole foods. There are so many amazing recipes - from snacks to entrees to even happy hour - that include ingredients that I wouldn't have ever considered putting
Kate
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks, unfinished
I was excited to cook from this book and was hoping to give it a great review on Goodreads, but I was leafing through the recipes before settling in to give the book a serious read and stopped on a recipe for chocolate-drizzled oatmeal shortbread. "Huh," I thought, "sounds good and not horribly unhealthy." I shut the book after reading Forte's smug assertion that
I was a Girl Scout for years, and I definitely stood in front of markets and went door to door selling those popular cookies, which, no
P.
I'm not going to rate this because I didn't make anything out of it. It looks like it has some nice salad ideas, which is why I checked it out. But there's nothing in it that looks really exciting or a different taste combination. I mean, there's a recipe for french press coffee. But also nothing that looks terrible. I'll probably check it out again in the spring when I want more salads.
Donna
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Whole food based cookbook with beautiful photography done by a wife and husband team. Most of the recipes fall under the term "California cuisine"
Sandy
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, cookbook
Great cookbook, great photography. I really like cookbooks with little story sidebars.
Elizabeth
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I checked this book out from the Chicago Public Library so many times throughout the spring + summer that I apparently hit the limit for how many times a single book can be renewed in a calendar year and I had to sadly return it for good. Sara Forte’s recipes are light, not fussy, usually involve minimal ingredients, and vegetable-centric. Thus, they are the perfect summer dishes. 4 stars because, unless I move to California, I can likely only make these recipes in the summer when all the ingred ...more
Bree
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Notes:
not one recipe contains anything 'sprouted'!!!
the breakfast section was the only part with anything that looked good
big dessert section didn't interest me at all
Michelle
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The author has such a lovely personality but I'm less inspired by this book than her other one. Its still great for healthy meals but there are fewer recipes that I feel like I need to make.
Sally
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some promising recipes, but I have yet to try them. 3 1/2 stars.
Andrea
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
No sprouted foods within the first chapter, stopped reading after that.
Millicent
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the library, but I am definitely buying it. Her taste and mine are the same. I first discovered her blog, sproutedkitchen.com,, and after trying out her recipes I decided to check out her cookbook. She has designed a book of healthy recipes, mostly vegan, that are both original and delicious. I was so happy when flipping through the book, I found recipes that allowed me to use some ingredients that I had, which I didn't know what to do with. I made:

- Cornmeal cakes with
Chantal
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I find the title of this book misleading. I was expecting to find a book of recipes that incorporated sprouts. Since I'm into sprouting I am looking at ways to use them in dishes. This is not that book! Ok. So I got over that, and gave the book a chance. The pictures are STUNNING (yet I still have to say, misleading)
Since there were no sprouts to be found in this sprouted kitchen, I expected this book to comprise of healthy vegetarian or vegan recipes. Instead I found some good recipes that are
Tiffany
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous photography thanks to Sara's wonderful & talented husband, Hugh. Her recipes are really great, however, many of them are crazy expensive. Execution of the cookbook is wonderful. Typography is on point & the stories are cute to read. They're not annoying or grating like some are & the book doesn't look like a pioneer of rodeo circus (see what I did tharrr haaaahhh).

I'd recommend this book to any cookbook collector out there because this is the perfect boo
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Mom gave me this lovely cookbook after she checked it out from the library and fell in love with the author and her photog husband (I have a photog of my own at home). Lucky me! Or maybe lucky Matt! I immediately made the red grape salsa (and goat cheese!) crostini, roasted cauliflower pasta, and grapefruit margarita for dinner tonight. Sooooo gooooood. And the pictures are really wonderful. Very fresh, very healthful recipes. I think I'm a pretty decent cook, but I have to admit that I had n ...more
Po
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Pros: Some interesting recipes that combine things that wouldn't occur to me (Strawberry and Leek Quesadilla?) and overall tasty sounding. I tried the Capellini with Roasted Cauliflower and the Acorn Squash with Balsamic Reduction. They were good but not great.
Cons: Vegetables that are not in season at the same time are used in the same recipe. (I don't usually cook this way so this is probably a minor issue for others.) also, she uses many fattening ingredients. I also don't necessarily have a
Pam
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
Sara Forte has created a luscious cookbook full of beautiful photographs and interesting combinations which focuses on fresh vegetables and whole grains. Many of the salad ideas look excellent for summer when we are looking for lighter fair that requires little cooking. My complaint is the she often uses unusual ingredients which are difficult to find unless you live next to an extraordinary grocery. I wish she had recommended possible substitutions. This issue is major enough that I would not c ...more
Drew Noble
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Another hit-or-miss cookbook from Sara Forte. I have made the almond cacao nib cookies (excellent) and the zucchini bread bites (challenging recipe not worth making, much too much liquid when using her suggested replacement of cooked and cooled quinoa). I have a couple of other recipes I want to try from this book as well. What I like about her recipes are that they are unique and simple. As a long-time cook who doesn't like complex recipes I appreciate that. It is frustrating that some recipes ...more
Casey
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an inspirational cookbook proving that "healthy" food is not so far out of reach for anybody. She writes this book with her husband by her side and the way she talks about him is absolutely adorable, like he hung the moon. They work very well together, the recipes are great and the pictures are fantastic. This a good book for anyone looking into whole foods. Some of the recipes are slightly out of touch with what I would enjoy but I found quite a few I cannot wait to try out.
Pamela
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photos. Inspiring recipes. I like the chatty style of the author. Not all vegetarian, but enough great recipes to keep my entertained. I borrowed the book from the library and copied a few recipes to try, and if they are tasty and not too time intensive, then this book will go on my Amazon wish list. Author has a great website, so I may use that as a reference rather than her cookbook.
Monique
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Lovely cookbook with various levels of complexity. Wonderful photos and easy to relate to commentary. There were several recipes that seemed to complicated for me to make in 30 minutes of less (which is my guide for adding recipes to my monthly menu plan). The snacks and quick meals really worked for me.
Jasmine
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Beautiful photography to go along each recipe---- for me, this is actually imperative for a cookbook to be engaging. Tried a handful of recipes, enjoyed them all. Am considering buying this for my own cookbook collection :)
Lauren
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm giving this 3 stars because it was beautiful. However, there are very few recipes that would work for my current lifestyle and ages of my children. Still incredibly inspiring and lovely to peruse.
Courtney
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sara and Hugh not only cook and photograph unique and extremely palatable dishes, but they also bring you into their home and lives. In reading The Sprouted Kitchen, you come to know and love the hearts of the Fortes (plus the Almond Meal Cookies with Coconut and Cacao Nibs are delish)!
Kelsee
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and the recipes. Simply writte and gorgeously photographed, and I'm already enjoying the goodies within. The smoky red lentil soup was amazing! Perfect book for anyone starting to introduce more "whole foods" or focus on veggie-centric meals.
Melissa Baker Linville
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great cookbook for those looking to incorporate whole foods and lots of vegetables into their everyday diet. The recipes are easy to follow and have basic ingredients, while still providing an innovative way to spice up your meals.
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
So many yummy clean recipes in this one
Heather
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Very cool ideas - but they are not what I would call easy recipes.
Aja Marsh
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
nicely designed and all, some nice recipe ideas, but it didn't engage me. it feels too much like it's trying to be a lifestyle magazine.
Megan
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love this cooking blog and have found some great recipes to add to my repertoire. I wasn't as taken with the recipes in the book.
Vickie
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely book, solid recipes I use often. The strawberry leek quesadillas are my spirit animal.
thanks 1 1 Dec 18, 2014 11:43PM
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • Seven Spoons: My Favorite Recipes for Any and Every Day
  • A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies
  • Home Made Summer
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Food
  • The Kitchn Cookbook: Recipes, Kitchens & Tips to Inspire Your Cooking
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide: Reset Your Health, Detox Your Body, and Feel Your Best
  • The Food Matters Cookbook: 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living