Start by marking “Have You Seen Marie?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen Marie?

Have You Seen Marie?

The internationally acclaimed author of The House on Mango Street gives us a deeply moving tale of loss, grief, and healing: a lyrically told, richly illustrated fable for grown-ups about a woman’s search for a cat who goes missing in the wake of her mother’s death.

The word “orphan” might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra f
Published October 2nd 2012 by Knopf (first published 2012)

Melissa Tamayo
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I too enjoyed the afterword a little more than the actual story... But still!!

Such a simple , powerful book! Sandra Cisneros has such a beautiful way with words. I love her constant use of similies & metaphors. It's as if she has no fear in her writing. Anyway.. I saw an interview she did in regards to this book & I just HAD to read it when I read a quote from it online.. (other reviewers have quoted it too..) "in Mexico they say when someone you love dies, a part of you dies wi
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
I read this book in Spanish to practice my Spanish and since I am not fluent, I did not understand everything. My Spanish is not adequate to writing the review in Spanish so I am writing it in English.

What I did understand was that a woman was looking for her lost cat, but these feelings were somehow intertwined with the loss of the author's mother.

She and her friend are in San Antonio looking for her friend, Roz's, black and white cat. They meet a lot of the neighbors and ask them if they have
Kelly
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wavering between two and three stars. I picked this up from the New Releases shelf at the library because I liked The House on Mango Street way back when. (Despite his misogyny, the legacy of my freshman English teacher lives on!) It's a quick read, like a longer children's book. The illustrations are lovely and Cisneros uses powerful language, but the story really didn't grab me. The metaphor of looking for a lost cat as a way of grieving her mother is underdeveloped; it gets lost in the detail ...more
Suanne Laqueur
I bought this on a whim, thinking I could read it out loud with my daughter. I did and it was wonderful wonderful, most wonderful. A beautiful story, beautifully illustrated.
Rehan Abd Jamil
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cat missing, missing a dead mom and meeting neighbours..
Angela
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, owned
I was lucky enough to attend a reading of this book by Sandra Cisneros, and I must say she did an amazing job of bringing this story to life (not that reading it alone wouldn't be wonderful as well). The story is deceptively simple enough for anyone to enjoy - children included - but when you start looking into the layers of emotion and the meaning behind the characters in the story, it becomes a new experience.

The book is tied in with Cisneros' personal experience, and, honestly, that's what ma
Mona  AlvaradoFrazier
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite quotes (of many) from this lovely book is "There is no getting over death only learning how to travel alongside of it." The quote aptly describes the journey the author takes you through while she is searching for her lost cat, Marie.

There is so much to love about this book before one even begins reading. From the first page of illustrations, by Ester Hernandez, artista extraordinaire, I was captured by their serenity and vibrancy.

Some of the images in the book reminded me of
Harley
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It has the form of a children's book, with charming and colorful illustrations and large type, succinct paragraphs. But Cisneros says in her Afterward that she wrote it, following the death of her mother, for adults. Sandra's friend Roz, along with her cat, Marie, drives three days from Tacoma to visit in San Antonio. Marie promptly runs off. We become acquainted with Cisnero's San Antonio, and with neighbors (many of them real people, who posed for the artist) who are eager to help as Roz and S ...more
Dallas
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book touched me where I needed it, though I wasn't aware of that need at all. I am in a state of grief, and these words were a healing poultice to my heart.

The book reads like a long poem. Sandra is searching for a cat, but really, the part of herself she lost when her mother died.

Ms. Cisernos paints a lovely picture of her San Antonio neighborhood, with its eclectic residents of varied cultural backgrounds. She weaves them together like the individuals they are into an even more beauitful
Kathy
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Based on a book review I had read, I looked forward to reading this book. Although childlike in its simplicity, I felt like I was missing what other reviewers found so profound. So I read the book a second time (mind you, it's less than 100 pages with illustrations). The premise is that through the process of looking for a lost cat, the author has a spiritual journey dealing with the death of her mother. I think the book is beautifully illustrated, but reading the Afterward was my favorite part. ...more
Jenny C.
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Cisneros, and she really does use some beautiful language here. Some of the natural objects shown have anthropomorphic traits, but the images are fresh. I also like the concept behind the book, the larger idea that we can become orphans when we experience parental loss. I also give her kudos for involving her community in this work and letting Ester Hernandez do some beautiful drawings. In the end, though, this "fable for adults," left me wanting for more depth. I wanted to be pulle ...more
Raisi
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Just what I needed to read.
It really heals your heart.
Kirsten
This is a beautiful, simple story about grief and connections. The narrator has recently lost her mother and writes, "Every day I woke up and felt like a glove left behind at the bus station. I didn't know I would feel this way. Nobody told me. I'd been hiding in my house since. Most days I didn't even comb my hair, and most days I didn't care. The thought of talking to people made me woozy."

Into this state of affairs arrives Rosalind and her cat, Marie -- who promptly runs off. The narrator is
Dominic
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A self-dubbed "adult fable," Have You Seen Marie? may at first glance seem like a book for children, but it really an offering to adults, perhaps made to feel like children or "orphans," when, late in life if we are lucky, lose a parent. Cisneros' small reflection on that space of time between the initial loss and the acceptance and transcendence that comes later is surprisingly powerful in its simplicity. I will definitely rereading this some day...but hopefully not for some time.

If you still h
Mary
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A deceptively simple picture books for grown-ups. The author and her friend search for her friend's missing cat, meeting neighbors and sharing stories of loss and messages of hope. Ms. Cisneros wrote this shortly after her mother died and reflects how during that time grief. "I have never lived on this earth without you," she writes of her mother. The search for the cat, the care of neighbors, the love of a friend bring her to a deep awareness of how alone she felt in a world without her mother ...more
Leah Francis
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella
i can't believe such a short book had such new (to me, at least) ideas about grief. grief is interesting. it terrifies me, maybe because i haven't really experienced it yet and i know that one day i will. the unknown sadness is worse than the present sadness.

i loved the illustrations! they felt detailed and specific, but many of them had an otherworldly quality as well. i just flipped through them a couple of times to take it all in.
Renee
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful quick read about loss and mourning.
Viridiana Word
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latino-authors
At first I thought this was a children's book, and for a minute I felt resentful that this book could be read in one sitting as opposed to over a period of time, so I could savor it. However when I finished the story, as well as the afterword, I suddenly felt exhilarated, and a rainbow of emotions swept over me. I lost my grandmother about eight years ago, and my grandfather a few years after that. Although I felt like I grieved, every part of this book resonates the feeling of loss that accompa ...more
Joy Murray
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I love picture books and think they are essentially all for adults. I think some of our best artists are illustrating picture books. I was excited about this one because it's geared towards adults and the theme is grieving. I thought the story and pictures blended well, but I would have been happy if some of the afterword was woven through the story -- which is like a poem. It's also a story about a neighborhood, a time of life, a city and a friendship. I could read it with a child or read it my ...more
Fred Kohn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story which weaved together the search for a lost cat and the grieving for a lost mother. Cisneros has a unique knack for writing in a highly poetic fashion but making it seem like everyday conversation. This in itself would make the book wonderful enough, but the meshing together of the story with the evocative illustrations of Esther Hernandez put this book over the top.
Mary
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Based on a real event, Sandra Cisneros tells a moving tale about looking for a friend's cat a few weeks after her mother's death. The search through her San Antonio neighborhood interrupts her mourning and eventually helps with her grieving. A transformative journey that celebrates love and community. A book for all ages and for anyone dealing with loss.
Yoonmee
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: latino-a
I really wanted to like this, but it falls short of the mark for me. Maybe I feel disappointed because I had such high expectations for it. It's a nice story, but something about it falls short of profound. Or maybe I fall short of profound b/c I fail to "get" what everyone else seems to "get" about the book. Like many other reviewers, I agree that the Afterword really helps complete the book.
Christian Paula
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely picture book for adults about grief and loss and being an orphan in middle age. The writing is so poetic and the illustrations are beautiful and full of life despite the sadness. A wonderful collaboration.
Julie
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved this from the author in the Afterword:

There is no getting over death, only learning how to travel alongside it. It knows no linear time. Sometimes the pain is as fresh as if it just happened. Sometimes it's a space I tap with my tongue daily like a missing molar.
Jean Grant
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely little book, a kind gift to give a friend or relative suffering a loss. It shows human kindness and how everyone suffers--but presents this gloomy theme in a way that makes it half-acceptable.
Adrielle
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
A lovely concept, certainly. I preferred the afterward to the story.
Ranjitha
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I enjoyed the author's note at the end of the novel more than I did on the book. Recommend this for anyone who wants to read about grieving.
Susan
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love you, Sandra.
Amber
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013, own-it
Reading the Afterword really gave the story a new meaning and upped it from 3 to 4 stars for me.
Mary Jo Malo
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated story written for adults about loss, community, pets and the in-betweens of life and death.
Brief books with a huge impact 1 3 Jun 10, 2017 10:41AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Picture Book that deals with losing someone [s] 4 14 Jul 21, 2015 11:33AM
  • Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba
  • A Wedding in Haiti
  • Toning The Sweep
  • Chicano! the History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement
  • Separate Roads to Feminism: Black, Chicana, and White Feminist Movements in America's Second Wave
  • Lotería
  • Eternal: Zachary's Story
  • Chicana Lesbians: The Girls Our Mothers Warned Us About
  • Give It To Me
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
Sandra Cisneros was born in Chicago in 1954. Internationally acclaimed for her poetry and fiction, she has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the American Book Award, and of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the MacArthur Foundation. Cisneros is the author of two novels The House on Mango Street and Caramelo; a collection of short ...more